Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jingles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Manager Hoyden posted:

What the type of music called that's in novelty 50s-style PSAs and commercials? It's really upbeat and there's very little if any percussion. A couple of the Sims shopping music pieces sound a lot like it.

You mean like this?

https://soundcloud.com/jordan-buttarmilk/phil-does-this-sound-like-the-sims-to-you-clip?ref=clipboard

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Re fizzy drink chat: when one substance is "dissolved" in another, is it always actually undergoing a chemical reaction and becoming a new substance?

When I was a child, things like dissolving sugar in water was explained to me as the sugar breaking down into small pieces and fitting into gaps in the water. Is it that, in actual fact, instead of sugar molecules suspended between water molecules you actually have a new chemical compound formed by water and sugar chemically reacting?

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
^ No, it's pretty much as it was explained to you as a kid. To add to that, there's only so much total space in between the water molecules, and when it's all occupied by the sugar, it's called a saturated solution and you can't dissolve any more.

credburn posted:

I tried asking this question on Reddit's "Explain Like I'm Five" subreddit, but it got removed because I wasn't asking for an objective answer?

The gently caress? What, pray tell, would constitute a subjective answer to a physics question?

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 12, 2020

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Hyperlynx posted:

Re fizzy drink chat: when one substance is "dissolved" in another, is it always actually undergoing a chemical reaction and becoming a new substance?

When I was a child, things like dissolving sugar in water was explained to me as the sugar breaking down into small pieces and fitting into gaps in the water. Is it that, in actual fact, instead of sugar molecules suspended between water molecules you actually have a new chemical compound formed by water and sugar chemically reacting?

Not always. Water and sugar form a solution, which is a mixture of two or more components that don't interact with each other. If you have a solution, you can in theory recover the original substances, but after a reaction you might not be able to.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

What, pray tell, would constitute a subjective answer to a physics question?

"If photons were conscious, how would they perceive the passage of time?"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Hipster_Doofus posted:

The gently caress? What, pray tell, would constitute a subjective answer to a physics question?

I don't know. It said it was flagged, so someone must have thought it was asking for one. Maybe it was the way I worded it? Like, I think I said, "what happens if I..." instead of "what happens if someone..." but I don't know, I got much better answers here anyway.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hope you learned your lesson to never ever post on reddit

fuckwolf
Oct 2, 2014

by Pragmatica
Are there any services where I could set up something like a private Goon Tube for a group of friends? Covid has got me bored as hell and it would be fun to put on some lovely movies or YouTube videos and talk poo poo about them in a private chat room with friends where everyone is watching the same thing in sync.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

fuckwolf posted:

Are there any services where I could set up something like a private Goon Tube for a group of friends? Covid has got me bored as hell and it would be fun to put on some lovely movies or YouTube videos and talk poo poo about them in a private chat room with friends where everyone is watching the same thing in sync.

You should be able to do it in Google hangout or meet or whatever the video chat thing is.

There's an option to share screen and still chat away

Zoom would also work.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Hyperlynx posted:

An important and cool detail that adds to what you were told as a kid, the reason why sugar (and many other molecules) dissolves in water is not that it just falls apart, but that it is pulled apart by electrostatic force (Positive/Negative attraction between the protons in atomic nuclei and the electrons spinning around the outsides of the atoms) exerted by the water molecules on the sugar. This is due to the shape of the molecules of both water and the stuff being dissolved, where structural features in the sugar (a relatively large and complex molecule) result in concentrations of positive or negative charge that can be ‘attacked’ by the corresponding parts of water molecules. The existing chemical bonds in the sugar are broken, opening up more space for water to get in and pull bits off.

Water is a very special substance for this reason. The structure of water molecules is responsible for its properties in dissolving stuff (making it effective as a transport mechanism for lots of things we need to live) as well as responsible for its unusually wide range of temperatures where it remains a liquid, which is important for very many functions in Earth and Life systems - the forces that allow water to pull other molecules apart also cause water to hold itself together in quite a remarkable way. Lots of other liquids evaporate at much lower temperatures, and our planet would have a lot less liquid water available if water didn’t have these properties.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Aug 12, 2020

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ok, but in the case of fizzy drinks it *isn't* molecules of CO2 suspended in water, but actually is a different chemical compound?

Does that mean the word "dissolved" only means "some stuff has been broken down and absorbed into a solvent", and does not imply anything at all about how the stuff is actually interacting with that solvent?

E: or is it that the CO2 actually reacts with the water to form carbonic acid, as alnilam mentioned, and *that* dissolves into the water? But when jostled or not under pressure or whatever it comes out of solution and then also undergoes a chemical reaction to turn back into CO2¿

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Aug 12, 2020

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is it safe to wipe down the inside of the fridge and all the shelves with a clorox wipe?

The delivery guy was adamant that would lead to poisoning and I should only use dish soap. But that's how I've always cleaned the insides of my fridge?

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
It’s perfectly safe to use diluted bleach in your refrigerator.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Bioshuffle posted:

Is it safe to wipe down the inside of the fridge and all the shelves with a clorox wipe?

The delivery guy was adamant that would lead to poisoning and I should only use dish soap. But that's how I've always cleaned the insides of my fridge?

Every restaurant I've worked at uses dilute bleach to sanitize not only work surfaces, but things raw food actually touches like cutting boards, knives, etc. I think you're safe doing that; even safer, probably, since bleach will kill stuff dish soap won't.

ed: beaten

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Hyperlynx posted:

Ok, but in the case of fizzy drinks it *isn't* molecules of CO2 suspended in water, but actually is a different chemical compound?

Does that mean the word "dissolved" only means "some stuff has been broken down and absorbed into a solvent", and does not imply anything at all about how the stuff is actually interacting with that solvent?

E: or is it that the CO2 actually reacts with the water to form carbonic acid, as alnilam mentioned, and *that* dissolves into the water? But when jostled or not under pressure or whatever it comes out of solution and then also undergoes a chemical reaction to turn back into CO2¿

A tiny fraction of the carbon dioxide reacts to form carbonic acid with the water, on the order of one part in a thousand. The rest of the carbon dioxide just hangs out as OCO molecules between the water molecules.

It’s a reversible reaction. Carbonic acid is constantly decomposing and reforming.

This is just something that those two do together. Plenty of solvent/solute combinations don’t have any reaction.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I must be rusty, I thought a good bit more of the dissolved CO2 became carbonic acid, like nearly all of it. Cool.

But yeah it dissolves first, then reacts. There are plenty of gases that do not react when they dissolve. For example, O2 dissolves in water, and that's what fishies breathe.

fuckwolf posted:

I would recommend against screensharing the video on google meet or whatever - you'll be streaming video to your computer, then back out to your friends, it's gonna get all choppy and bad. Better to let everyone stream it themselves.

There are a few free online thingers that let you sync up e.g. a youtube video with friends with video chat on top. I've used https://w2g.tv/ with my friends and it was great. Just make sure people wear headphones, otherwise other peoples' youtube audio will feed back into their mic and it will make the video's audio double up on everyone else.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Also to further the fizzy drink thing - the reason it actually gets fizzy is that when they bottle the drink, they use high pressures to force a lot more CO2 into solution than water would be able to support at ambient conditions. It stays in solution because the bottle keeps it under pressure (a little bit of CO2 will come out into the bottle's headspace until it reaches equilibrium). So when you open the bottle, suddenly the bottle is exposed to ambient conditions and the dissolved CO2 is like aaah what the gently caress there is way too much of me in here compared to the air outside. So it starts un-dissolving, becoming a gas, and when it becomes a gas inside of the liquid it obv makes a bubble.

Another way to make excess dissolved CO2 in a sealed bottle is the old school way (still done by many homebrewers) to carbonate beer. The yeast in beer during fermentation eats sugar and farts out CO2 and pukes out ethanol. When you ferment the chamber is open so the CO2 just comes out of solution and floats away. When the fermentation is done, all the sugar has been et. Now you toss in a little extra sugar for the yeast, then seal the bottle; the yeast does what it does, eats sugar and farts out more CO2 (and a little more ethanol, hey no complaints there), but now the bottle is sealed so the CO2 is trapped in there :twisted: and it ends up becoming pressurized, i.e. the dissolved CO2 is more than that which would be supported under ambient conditions.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
If I change my Verizon plan, what does my next bill look like? Pro-rated? Do I pay for both the old and new plan for a cycle?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

quote:

dissolving explanations
Cool! Thanks, all!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Alec Eiffel posted:

If I change my Verizon plan, what does my next bill look like? Pro-rated? Do I pay for both the old and new plan for a cycle?

You can ask in the Verizon thread where there's a couple workers there, but generally if you change a plan mid cycle you're have a prorated bill for the old plan and either the new plan billing cycle starts on that date going forward or you have some sort of new prorated bill for the rest of the billing cycle.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
Weird old memory rabbit hole question I've never been able to figure out, showing my age:

In the early 90s, so like 1992/1993 or so my elementary school got this...device. It, to my fuzzy memory, was this spaceship looking, almost game console like device that was attached to a television in the library, and we only had ONE. And it was an internet connected encyclopedia. You had to sign up for time slots to use it. But you could look up stuff! On the Internet! But IIRC it was a thing that didn't catch on because this was so early in www dotcom days that it wasn't for sure if TV attached things would be the future...and I can't remember the name of it! Anyone else have a similar thing happen? I went to school in AZ back then if it helps. I'm mostly trying to remember even what it was or was called.

And no, it's not WebTV but it was very similar, geared for education settings specifically, and was mostly an online encyclopedia. Whatever company this was clearly thought getting into schools might help it take off but I never saw one again after I left that school.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

VH4Ever posted:

In the early 90s, so like 1992/1993 or so my elementary school got this...device.

If no one in this thread knows, there are a couple more in PYF you might try.

Post the very best in obsolete and failed technology: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3495621
Tech Relics - a 486 that we got from the local Donkey Sanctuary: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756559

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

VH4Ever posted:

spaceship looking, almost game console like device

can you clarify this? like exactly what was it shaped like?

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

HiroProtagonist posted:

can you clarify this? like exactly what was it shaped like?

My abiding memory is it had this big, red, plastic globe shaped "hat" on the top of it. To look high tech and futuristic I guess?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

VH4Ever posted:

My abiding memory is it had this big, red, plastic globe shaped "hat" on the top of it. To look high tech and futuristic I guess?

Unless you're talking about some odd model of an early wireless router/switch, I have no idea. WebTV was the very first and the only peripheral for TVs that allowed access to the web, and that didn't launch until around 1996?

Or is this an actual "gaming" console thing?

Even so, I'm not coming up with anything that I can recollect or seems right online. Are you sure your memory isn't playing tricks on you?

E: my first thought was some kind of limited run prototype with Encarta functionality and I still came up with zilch there.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

HiroProtagonist posted:

Unless you're talking about some odd model of an early wireless router/switch, I have no idea. WebTV was the very first and the only peripheral for TVs that allowed access to the web, and that didn't launch until around 1996?

Or is this an actual "gaming" console thing?

Even so, I'm not coming up with anything that I can recollect or seems right online. Are you sure your memory isn't playing tricks on you?

E: my first thought was some kind of limited run prototype with Encarta functionality and I still came up with zilch there.

Here's the possible thing I'm fuzzy on: it's possible it wasn't on the internet at all. I find when I think back that I go back and forth as to whether it had internet or not. It may not.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Pre WWW there were some really neat web-like telephone services, I think France's (the first i think) was active until quite recently

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minitel?wprov=sfla1

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Is there any common word in Chinese that sounds like the n word.

I'm sitting in a group of chinese people who keep language swapping between english and chinese and I keep hearing a particular word.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Methanar posted:

Is there any common word in Chinese that sounds like the n word.

I'm sitting in a group of chinese people who keep language swapping between english and chinese and I keep hearing a particular word.
Yes. nèige or 那个 is Mandarin for "that".

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Follow up. Is it normal that a bigish group of native chinese speakers would be speaking to each other in 50% english and 50% chinese, switching between the two randomly and sometimes even mid sentence.

If so, why.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Are you sure they weren't loan words? That has been happening a lot more as the world gets more interconnected because of the internet

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Methanar posted:

Follow up. Is it normal that a bigish group of native chinese speakers would be speaking to each other in 50% english and 50% chinese, switching between the two randomly and sometimes even mid sentence.

If so, why.
Yes, code switching like that it's very common among bilinguals. They've been learning English their entire lives and might even use English more than Chinese. When they want to say something the first way to say it to come to mind might be in Chinese or English, so when they're talking to a fellow bilingual they just roll with whatever bubbles up.

In Bollywood movies a character occasionally switching into English tells the audience that they're educated.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Methanar posted:

If so, why.

Yes, this is extremely common in anyone who knows more than one language talking to other people who have the same languages.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

For example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKXLQ-GBGWY&t=72s

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Methanar posted:

If so, why.

As others said, it's very common. Like in this case, your mothertongue might be Chinese (or whatever) but your environment English, and you're all bilingual, fluent in both languages, you tend to code switch a lot.

The brain, and language, is weird. When I was living in the UK and my sister was visiting, we'd be talking Dutch mostly, but as soon as we were outside you get all these English inputs. I'd see a sign or whatever that reminded me of something I'd want to tell her, and because the sign is in English and I told this story to English friends the day before, I'd automatically switch to English for the story.

The brain just does this. The shortest route to the memory would be in English, and it's far easier to just roll with it rather than putting in the effort to translate it to Dutch. Constantly having to police your language and make the effort to switch is tiring, so you just go with the flow whenever possible. Even more so if you and the people you speak to are natively bilingual.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Hell, I'm posting in English but thinking in German right now, it sometimes just feels right to swap around and every so often I realize how many English words I use to express thoughts, simply because I sometimes happen to think in English instead of German, too.

As soon as the individual language barrier is low enough due to sufficient education in a foreign language, you begin to think and express in multiple languages as soon as you happen to use them both regularly. That's why visiting another country to learn its language is usually a very effective strategy to learn, as even though you have to start with screaming and sign language, once you get a feeling you begin to think and even dream in different languages. Swapping around in mid sentence ist da alles andere als eine Überraschung, mein Freund.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Why do Gamers get so mad that the Epic Games store exists?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

ineptmule posted:

An important and cool detail that adds to what you were told as a kid, the reason why sugar (and many other molecules) dissolves in water is not that it just falls apart, but that it is pulled apart by electrostatic force (Positive/Negative attraction between the protons in atomic nuclei and the electrons spinning around the outsides of the atoms) exerted by the water molecules on the sugar. This is due to the shape of the molecules of both water and the stuff being dissolved, where structural features in the sugar (a relatively large and complex molecule) result in concentrations of positive or negative charge that can be ‘attacked’ by the corresponding parts of water molecules. The existing chemical bonds in the sugar are broken, opening up more space for water to get in and pull bits off.

Water is a very special substance for this reason. The structure of water molecules is responsible for its properties in dissolving stuff (making it effective as a transport mechanism for lots of things we need to live) as well as responsible for its unusually wide range of temperatures where it remains a liquid, which is important for very many functions in Earth and Life systems - the forces that allow water to pull other molecules apart also cause water to hold itself together in quite a remarkable way. Lots of other liquids evaporate at much lower temperatures, and our planet would have a lot less liquid water available if water didn’t have these properties.

The dissolution of sugar in water doesn’t break chemical bonds. Otherwise it would be a reaction.

Badger of Basra posted:

Why do Gamers get so mad that the Epic Games store exists?

How do you know Gamers are angry about it? Given that the flaws of EGS have been fairly well publicized, this reads more as you saying “I don’t agree with people who don’t like Thing” rather than “I don’t know why they don’t like Thing.”

El_Elegante fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carillon
May 9, 2014

What's the hottest thing you can touch safely temperature wise, not due to the Leidenfrost effect, but rather because of the material having such a low thermal transfer rate?