Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

My theory is that Araki learned that Christianity existed mid-way through Vento Aureo and spent all his energy between then and the end of Steel Ball Run to work Jesus into his weird punch ghost comic.

As much as I love talking about JoJo theory, an absolutely tremendous amount of Araki's writing basically boils down to "I learned/did a thing last week" and I'm guessing his editor gets a lot of very excited voicemails at very wierd hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

As much as I love talking about JoJo theory, an absolutely tremendous amount of Araki's writing basically boils down to "I learned/did a thing last week" and I'm guessing his editor gets a lot of very excited voicemails at very wierd hours.

Vaccine snake has to be the epitome of this.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

You can practically smell the wikipedia article on decompression sickness on Araki's computer while reading the Ozone Baby fight.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I love the idea of Araki as an easily excited kid constantly messaging his editor with those AMAZING NEW FACTS he just stumbled over

Araki - "have you heard of branch grafting. It's amazing"
Araki - "just read that split personalities can alter the body?!?! earth is beautiful and strange"
Araki - "my man I just watched this great zombie movie, and two words: Limp Bizkit"
Araki - "holy poo poo did you HEAR about the hosed up poo poo the kkk did"
Araki - "wouldn't it be cool if R.E.O. Speedwagon were Oddball"
Araki - "i've read about this gangstalking thing"
Araki - "THERE'S SCARVES MADE OF BUGS!!!"
Araki - "four balls my dude"
Editor - "Araki it's 3am"
Araki - "timeskip??? brb gettin hosed up on King Crimson now"

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Araki - "DID U KNOW U CAN DRINK PISS WITHOUT ACTUALLY DRINKING IT"
Editor - "jesus christ dude"

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I want Araki and Kojima to write a story together, filled with nothing but the vague ideas they got after reading a paragraph of text on various wiki pages

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

It’ll really suck if Jojo gets cancelled because Wikipedia is outed as a sex pest

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Torquemadras posted:

I love the idea of Araki as an easily excited kid constantly messaging his editor with those AMAZING NEW FACTS he just stumbled over

Araki - "have you heard of branch grafting. It's amazing"
Araki - "just read that split personalities can alter the body?!?! earth is beautiful and strange"
Araki - "my man I just watched this great zombie movie, and two words: Limp Bizkit"
Araki - "holy poo poo did you HEAR about the hosed up poo poo the kkk did"
Araki - "wouldn't it be cool if R.E.O. Speedwagon were Oddball"
Araki - "THERE'S SCARVES MADE OF BUGS!!!"
Araki - "four balls my dude"
Editor - "Araki it's 3am"
Araki - "timeskip??? brb gettin hosed up on King Crimson now"

Araki - "holy poo poo, there are pants that cost $600 dollars????"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
IMO the pinnacles of this are that one Thus Spoke chapter where Rohan is suddenly so interested in baseball that he leaves his own story to go follow it and the other Rohan side story where a family has to stay at home during the harvest moon or whatever or else they'll die and the son just keeps talking about how he wants to watch the film Paul and every time he mentions it, there's a drawing of the alien Paul flipping the bird.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Reading JoJolion again after dropping it around the chocolate eating doctor chapters. Not because it was bad just wanted to let it build up and had also forgotten so much of what happened because it's so long now. The California King Bed fight is so drat good.

Anyway does anyone have that super cool Speed King GIF someone made just after his first proper appearance (in the beetle fight I think)

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Torquemadras posted:

Which Stand is this?

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
Blue Hawaii?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

overmind2000 posted:

Which Stand is this?

Was thinking of Blue Hawaii when writing that - complete strangers, rushing you down for seemingly no reason, never stopping, and it always jumps to other strangers when you think you've lost it

But I guess It Follows is a better match

Funky Valentine posted:

Araki - "holy poo poo dude have you seen that Chucky guy"
Araki - "man, muscles look WEIRD, almost like wings"
Araki - "SNAIL SEX"
Araki - "woah, check out where the Miami Dolphins have been, crazy"
Araki - "have you ever heard of this... spider-man"
Araki - "lubricated pillar pit"
Araki - "i just saw a list of a 1890 traveller's backpack items and i think it drove me insane"
Editor - "ok Araki"
Araki - "BUT HAVE YOU HEARD OF THIS JESUS GUY"

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

Funky Valentine posted:

I would think araki's love of designer fashion is the one guiding line through the whole series

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

Araki - "SNAIL SEX"

Wasn't that entire bit really just Araki going "I just read Uzumaki and it was pretty cool"?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

the son just keeps talking about how he wants to watch the film Paul and every time he mentions it, there's a drawing of the alien Paul flipping the bird.

every time i think i've run out of weird poo poo in jojo, something else comes along

edit: goddamn lol

Crusader fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Aug 13, 2020

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Crusader posted:

every time i think i've run out of weird poo poo in jojo, something else comes along

lmao

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Oh good I found one of the most important Jojo videos from the Before Times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76q-GyPX39Y

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Crusader posted:

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

A vast majority of all shounen manga and all those manwha crunchyroll adaptations are exactly this energy

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the other end of this phenoemon is poo poo like "Rohan at the Louvre," for which Araki was hired to make something explicitly about The Louvre, included it in one panel, and then just went off and made the story about killer shadow bugs because that's where his mind was at.

I've never read the full Gucci stuff but I can only assume somebody mentions "Gucci" once and the rest of it is something completely unrelated.

*edit* jesus christ im giggling like an idiot at the Paul poo poo

PsychoInternetHawk fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Aug 14, 2020

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

I feel like the other end of this phenoemon is poo poo like "Rohan at the Louvre," for which Araki was hired to make something explicitly about The Louvre, included it in one panel, and then just went off and made the story about killer shadow bugs because that's where his mind was at.

I've never read the full Gucci stuff but I can only assume somebody mentions "Gucci" once and the rest of it is something completely unrelated.

*edit* jesus christ im giggling like an idiot at the Paul poo poo

Or how when Jump (iirc) did a "hey everyone write stories not based on your own properties" Araki wrote the Thus Spoke Rohan Kishibe stories, because they are stories that Rohan is telling, so see they're not based on Jojo's!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Crusader posted:

It makes me irrationally angry that they call it "Alien Ball" in this translation - just call it Paul! That's the name everyone will recognize!

fe: Pauul

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The Japanese name is Alien Paul, the manga probably just changed a letter to make it Alien Ball to avoid copyright issues or whatever.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Remember when Joshu went to go see Johnny Depp Pirate Movie.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

A 3D Johnny Depp Pirate Movie

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Oh good I found one of the most important Jojo videos from the Before Times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76q-GyPX39Y
Even without looking at the date, you can tell this video is old because it acknowledges Haruhi Suzumiya's existence.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Idgi, did something happen with haruhi or the creators? Never saw it myself, only familiar through cultural osmosis

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Haruhi has kind of disappeared from the zeitgeist is the point I believe.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh okay, it sounded like it got #cancelled or something

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Arist posted:

Haruhi has kind of disappeared from the zeitgeist is the point I believe.

I think between the Endless Eight and the light novels just...not coming out, murdered it as a presence.

Funky Valentine fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Aug 15, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

No question, Haruhi's death was 1000% self-inflicted.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

endless eight is fine and disappearance came out afterwards and was well-liked so uhhh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't care if you like it, Endless Eight is a somewhat interesting idea that in execution loving destroyed the fanbase. Season 2 was incredibly hyped and the handling of that arc just derailed the entire series' perception. It's not about how good the series may or may not be, having almost two-thirds of the series' incredibly highly-anticipated follow-up season be dedicated to an intentionally boring and repetitive stunt just tanked the anime's legacy, to the point where it took me a good long while to even realize they'd released Disappearance after it came out. Nobody was talking about it in any circles I inhabited.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I never saw endless eight but that seems like a lot of hyperbole to me. Most of the Haruhi fans I knew and/or saw online either came to enjoy it or complained about it then got excited when the next stuff came out. I think it was the fact that they just stopped releasing stuff that made it less popular. But that's just my personal experience I guess.

Anyway post Jojo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCHWx2p0rR4

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I never saw endless eight but that seems like a lot of hyperbole to me.

pretty much

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't think it's hyperbole to say most fans didn't appreciate 8 episodes in a row of basically identical episodes.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 15, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

personally i think the reason people don’t talk about haruhi much anymore is that it’s been literally a decade since the movie came out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Thinking about how Excel Saga really fell off the charts two decades after it came out