Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I think a lot of it is that older homes that are still standing tend to be better maintained.

Care and maintenance are what matter in the long run. Even an extremely well built house will fall apart quickly if you ignore routine upkeep and beat the place up. A well built/designed house will require less upkeep and be easier to maintain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

canyoneer posted:

I read a thing written by someone who used to be a costumed performer in Disneyland parades (like, inside a giant Pluto costume). He said on real hot days, they'd wear these icepack vests which was really nice at first. Then ten minutes in, it's all melted and and you're wearing a sloshy, warm water vest with a half hour to go.
I knew a guy who had, I guess, no sweat glands? Or they didn't work? But he couldn't sweat. So on hot days, he had a vest that periodically sprayed water onto a few different areas of his body. I think about that vest on hot days sometimes...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I've heard tell of LARPers who walk around in full plate armor in the summer, with little water cooling systems built in to help keep them cool. IIRC it's, like, some tubing, a water pump, and an evaporator.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Darchangel posted:

This is true for anything that is brought up as an example of "they built it better back then. No, they built *those particular ones* better back then.
Survivorship bias is real but so are shifts in design and business philosophy.
I am into microscopes and they, for instance, are absolutely not made like they used to be.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Slugworth posted:

I knew a guy who had, I guess, no sweat glands? Or they didn't work? But he couldn't sweat. So on hot days, he had a vest that periodically sprayed water onto a few different areas of his body. I think about that vest on hot days sometimes...

I have a friend that was unable to sweat, so his house was always a bit chilly otherwise he might overheat and end up in the hospital (again). Turns out he had undiagnosed type I diabetes, and taking care of that took care of the sweating problem. :downs:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

canyoneer posted:

I read a thing written by someone who used to be a costumed performer in Disneyland parades (like, inside a giant Pluto costume). He said on real hot days, they'd wear these icepack vests which was really nice at first. Then ten minutes in, it's all melted and and you're wearing a sloshy, warm water vest with a half hour to go.

Furry costumers made superior phase‐change vests and the U.S. military is a customer.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Seems like a very shallow dig for outdoor plumbing. I know around here anything not buried 1.5m down isn't expected to survive a reasonably cold winter.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Darchangel posted:

This is true for anything that is brought up as an example of "they built it better back then. No, they built *those particular ones* better back then.

Anyone who thinks they built it better back then needs to go read Kastein's house thread. Half the problems with his house were neglect, but only half, the other was original builder fuckups and stupidity.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I have a really old house and the only thing I have really strong faith in because of age is the fieldstone foundation. Those rocks are drat strong.

As soon as wood and electric shows up it’s a poo poo show.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah but how badly.

"I've been at this job 25 years, and I've only had a leg cut off once!" :v:

Not that bad tbh.
I was working in some trees walked in to a pointy stick that stabbed me in the shin. It hurt, there was a bit of blood, but thats all.
Anyway yes, I guess its like saying I've driven drunk 5005934 times and never gotten myself or anyone else killed so it must be good!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Darchangel posted:

edit: you guys got me looking at steel toe tabis, but I've got giant (for Japanese) size US13 feet. So now I'm looking at Blaklader and Jobman work pants instead....

I wear Blaklader shorts at work daily in the summer, they're quite good. I had one pair (for summer wear) last me the same amount of time as two pairs of Carhart pants that I would wear in the winter. The material also softens up, or seems to, faster than my Carhartt pants too. Which is good. Makes them bitches way more comfortable.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Slugworth posted:

I knew a guy who had, I guess, no sweat glands? Or they didn't work? But he couldn't sweat.

You knew Prince Andrew? Did he touch you?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Bees on Wheat posted:

I have a friend that was unable to sweat, so his house was always a bit chilly otherwise he might overheat and end up in the hospital (again). Turns out he had undiagnosed type I diabetes, and taking care of that took care of the sweating problem. :downs:

My BF is a well managed type 1, and he still has issues with both high and low temperatures; it's apparently one of those peculiar side effects. Kind of inconvenient with the 30C+ summers we've been having recently, Norwegian houses are by and large not designed to get rid of heat, and apartment buildings typically don't have AC. Ours certainly doesn't.

(He does sweat normally, though.)

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

canyoneer posted:

I remember a documentary about how they filmed (I think) the original star wars movies. Between shootings a guy would walk around with a hose and blast cold air into peoples alien costumes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
When filming Return of the Jedi, Peter Mayhew was shadowed by crewmembers in brightly‐coloured clothes whenever the camera wasn’t rolling. The fear was that some idiot would mistake Chewbacca for Bigfoot take a shot at him.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Darchangel posted:

Well, in the case of my house, you tunnel under from the side and route new plumbing out and around the foundation instead:

This is how it worked in my house. you have to cut through the foundation re-do it after the sewer lines and plumbing are installed.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

FogHelmut posted:

I'm having my concrete patio taken out, and the good news is there's another concrete patio under my concrete patio.

Idiots. Everyone knows you need three layers to stop the guilt of what you did and what you buried from seeping through :rolleyes:

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Platystemon posted:

Furry costumers made superior phase‐change vests and the U.S. military is a customer.

Get a load of that dog! No, the one in the middle.

(Also this is honestly neat)

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Idiots. Everyone knows you need three layers to stop the guilt of what you did and what you buried from seeping through :rolleyes:

It's cool the underground patio is the exact size, shape, and placement of what I was going to replace the old patio with.

It's odd though that they brought in 3-4 inches of dirt to raise the whole yard around the patio they put on top. If you zoom and enhance, you can see the columns for the patio cover are sitting on top of the 4x4 stumps from the old patio cover columns. They kept the original ledger board though. One of the problems was that the patio cover was too low and anyone over 6' would hit their heads on it.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

FogHelmut posted:

It's cool the underground patio is the exact size, shape, and placement of what I was going to replace the old patio with.

It's odd though that they brought in 3-4 inches of dirt to raise the whole yard around the patio they put on top. If you zoom and enhance, you can see the columns for the patio cover are sitting on top of the 4x4 stumps from the old patio cover columns. They kept the original ledger board though. One of the problems was that the patio cover was too low and anyone over 6' would hit their heads on it.

Could they have raised everything because of drainage issues? That photo looks like the water could potentially head toward the foundation.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Atticus_1354 posted:

Could they have raised everything because of drainage issues? That photo looks like the water could potentially head toward the foundation.

The patio is sloped away from the house at a quarter inch for per foot. Pretty sure they brought in all that extra dirt beyond the patio.

Edit - lol the base of one of the columns is pea gravel

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 15, 2020

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I love that they have actual animal versions of those cooling vests and I love that furies are now our allies and productive and innovative members of our society.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Baronjutter posted:

I love that they have actual animal versions of those cooling vests and I love that furies are now our allies and productive and innovative members of our society.

The productive, innovated furries were always there. They were just a young community who had to push through the three tests of social decency - get rid of cat piss man, get rid of fascists, get rid of sex creeps, before the rest could really shine.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

Could it have been that the dirt built up over time, people forgot the patio was there, and the next builder just cut off the old cover columns at the "ground"?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

HelleSpud posted:

Could it have been that the dirt built up over time, people forgot the patio was there, and the next builder just cut off the old cover columns at the "ground"?

Nah, the concrete was directly on top of the concrete. It was a clean pour.

HelleSpud
Apr 1, 2010
Then I fear whatever (Bottomless Pit/Buried Spouse/Hell Portal) needed to be so sealed

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

https://workway.jp/information/workday-sale-20200625/

Japan has construction clothes with little fans installed.

Quills
Mar 24, 2007
Noticed today that it looks like the contractors working on a rehab two doors down from me have taken a rope and tied the service drop from the utility pole servicing their house to the chimney/vent stack of my house. I think they did this to pull the line over so they could build a second floor addition.

I've already called the local utility, pending a response. How dangerous/stupid is this? Should I be worried that this may cause a fire?

I'm planning on telling them to untie it when I see them working next if the utility does not come out or resolve. If they refuse I have roofers coming out later this week who I'll have remove it regardless.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

What is up with that blue door on the porch roof of your house?

Quills
Mar 24, 2007

peanut posted:

What is up with that blue door on the porch roof of your house?

The door to nowhere. Previous owner. They half rear end started a lot of things, I think they were planning on a roof deck that never materialized.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

peanut posted:

https://workway.jp/information/workday-sale-20200625/

Japan has construction clothes with little fans installed.

I wonder how well that works?

Separately, I love how Japanese webpage and catalog design seems to be permanently stuck in 1996.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/NatalieZed/stat...ingawful.com%2F

:stonklol:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

There nothing wrong with that hou... Ohhhhhhh

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thats probably not crappy construction.
The jail would be a pretty dope sex dungeon, for orgies and poo poo.
Or, more likely, a sex killer.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Or a generation home...

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

I hope that's just rust on the bunks.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I love that the description breathlessly refers to the nine person jail as "THE BEST PART"

I can't imagine why this huge mansion (with a bigass built in jail that you're not allowed to take out because it's a historical building) could possibly be selling for as little as $350k 🤔

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

I love that the description breathlessly refers to the nine person jail as "THE BEST PART"

I can't imagine why this huge mansion (with a bigass built in jail that you're not allowed to take out because it's a historical building) could possibly be selling for as little as $350k 🤔

If I had $350k and lived in Missouri, I'd be all over it. Not sure what I'd do with the jail, but hey.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

That house is incredible, and it seems like you could turn that into a :krad: bed & breakfast.

Edit: and lmao at the "1/2 bath"

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Warmachine posted:

If I had $350k and lived in Missouri, I'd be all over it. Not sure what I'd do with the jail, but hey.

Turn it into a secured data center?