Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I thought the previous chapter was the last one so this was a nice surprise.

Man, Runaway With Me Girl was so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Snooze Cruise posted:

the final runaway with me
https://mangadex.org/chapter/997759/1
it made me cry
Wonderful, simply wonderful. wasn't expecting such a drastic timeskip, but it led to a really powerful finale, so I'm all for it. Hopefully eventually someone licenses it, I'd love to buy a set.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Snooze Cruise posted:

it made me cry

how is that manga not rated in the 9s at the least

such a loving great story

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Run Away With Me is such a loving pretty manga. That's the poo poo i like right there, more of that please.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Wonderful, simply wonderful. wasn't expecting such a drastic timeskip, but it led to a really powerful finale, so I'm all for it. Hopefully eventually someone licenses it, I'd love to buy a set.

sadly theres not even a physical release in japan yet, its purely a digital manga. it doesnt seem to ahve been that successful in japan either, though she and her editor did get an interview where her editor mentioned he really wanted to do a physical release

sooo we'll see.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
It might help to buy a jp copy. Renji asked her overseas fans to buy vol 3 of Monster and the Beast because it was up in the air if it would even get a 4th volume and needed more sales. tbh I have no idea how much it helped but it hasn't been cancelled yet :v:

On their end "I'd buy this if it was in English" doesn't really help them out while a boost in sales would and for something you liked a lot that might not ever get an official English release, might as well if you're able.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, if you can swing buying a jp digital copy, please do so

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

I ran into that story last night randomly and I agree. It should be a 9 for sure.

Also timeskips continue to be best.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Don't forget that Tamamusi also has the yuri recipe:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

D. Ebdrup posted:

Don't forget that Tamamusi also has the yuri recipe:

That reminds me, has anyone mentioned Suito-to in this thread? It's not about expensive fish per-se, but it is about two girls who love to eat.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Going back to the topic of geicomi for a second, I ran across this discussion on another forum (I don't think you need to be logged in to read this): https://ouendan.blue/forums/main-forum/geicomi-how-can-we-get-more-published-in-english/

One thing mentioned specifically is that Irodori Sakura is going to put out some stuff by Tsukumo Go and there are a few patreon links and other things in the thread to other artists. But overall pickings in English are pretty slim and part of the discussion in there is why and what can be done.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Snooze Cruise posted:

it made me cry

oh poo poo oh poo poo oh poo poo it's finished?

I know what I'm reading once I finish Giant Spider & Me.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

there's definitely a type of series mangadex users gravitate towards and rate highly

9: popular battle shonen, pure fluff with absolute minimal fanservice, or compelling drama that resolves itself quickly or at least provides the payoff the reader wanted from the start
8: the safest bet for something that won't hurt your feelings too much (lair of the 1boy/1girl romcoms and non-dramatic ecchi series); dramatically compelling oneshots
7: probably had too much drama at one point and the resolution wasn't as satisfying as it should've been to enough readers; most isekai
5-6: was going good for a while but then something REALLY BAD happened
0-4: absolute trainwrecks (may or may not be entertaining)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Frieren shows that the key to getting a high rating on mangadex is adding a small reminder each chapter that the rating system exists. :v:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
meh
figured this was going to be the ending after last chapter. the trajectory of the series for a while has been progressively making the least interesting choices so whatever.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

:rip:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Snooze Cruise posted:

meh
figured this was going to be the ending after last chapter. the trajectory of the series for a while has been progressively making the least interesting choices so whatever.
Good ending to a good series.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
captain comphet

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just because it went a direction you didn't want doesn't make it a bad series nor should you make pissy snipes because someone did enjoy the series.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
arr governor, its me captain comphet, where is your missy

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

e: NO SPOILERS :colbert:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 18, 2020

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

on the contrary, a series going a way you don't want it to definitely can make something a bad series

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Rody One Half posted:

bi girls going with men just makes them straight, as we all know

het relationship does not equal straight

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 19, 2020

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Rody One Half posted:

bi girls going with men just makes them straight, as we all know

nobody said that

Somebody fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 19, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

While Hamuro's boring and that being the pairing the author went with is lame, I think the thing that stands out to me about the ending is that they're really trying to sell their relationship with their teacher as very significant even though he kinda just disappears a 3rd of the way into the story. I think he was a good character in those early chapters and it'd have been cool if he was more important but it just doesn't land for me and I feel its missing the notes its aiming for. Which is kinda my feeling about the last 3-4 chapters of the comic in general.

Everything's been framed as very significant and emotional but none of it hit home like it was supposed to.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

SyntheticPolygon posted:

While Hamuro's boring and that being the pairing the author went with is lame, I think the thing that stands out to me about the ending is that they're really trying to sell their relationship with their teacher as very significant even though he kinda just disappears a 3rd of the way into the story. I think he was a good character in those early chapters and it'd have been cool if he was more important but it just doesn't land for me and I feel its missing the notes its aiming for. Which is kinda my feeling about the last 3-4 chapters of the comic in general.

Everything's been framed as very significant and emotional but none of it hit home like it was supposed to.

yeah like the speech the brides gave also just felt so by the numbers, nothing in it was evocative on an emotional level. seem almost like a mad libs.

procedural would be a good way to describe the feel of it.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 18, 2020

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

you are the peepee to my poopoo, in sickness and in dab

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

yeah like the speech the brides gave also just felt so by the numbers, nothing in it was evocative on an emotional level. seem almost like a mad libs.

procedural would be a good way to describe the feel of it.

Kinda feels like the author didn't know where to go after the confession.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The series was canceled, wasn't it? thought that came up that it was ending weirdly suddenly, which would explain the awkwardness of the last few chapters since the pacing of the rest of the series was so solid, but I don't think for what was an abrupt ending it was necessarily bad. It felt more like a "wrap it up" ending and for that it was decent. "Good", to the rest of the serie's "great".

I really liked the teacher and him just kinda being the gentle push from behind for his students who needed advice or help was something I really loving wish more teachers were willing to do. Not that there aren't plenty who do, but there's also quite a few who just don't give a poo poo. Him still being, well, him even after the timeskip was nice.

Really my main gripe is Akira being mostly sidelined in the finale. I know it was Hime's story mostly, but Akira felt a bit left behind in the ending. Like she was there in a lot of the scenes, but that's about it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The series was a slow decline when she stopped wearing a boys uniform

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Stumbled across this and enjoyed the first five chapters very much. College-age yuri about a couple of theater geeks who actually hook up super early, very sweet. Also the art's in color, which was a nice surprise.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Snooze Cruise posted:

meh

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Endorph posted:

The series was a slow decline when she stopped wearing a boys uniform

and this

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
I'm still not sure what to make of that confession scene. It felt like Akira/the text was saying that because Hime liked Akria before she transitioned it means Hime actually saw Akria as a guy, romantically speaking, and this is (at least partly) why Akira turned her down. And then that ending certainly seems to support that reading.

It also feels kinda cheap to have Akira catch the bouquet at the end after completely skipping over any part where Akira actually figures out her own sexuality.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for real though for a more expanded take i think this ending was probably fine if you were into the series from a shoujo romance perspective but if you were into it for lgbt stuff it sure did have like, a volume, maybe, of that. its a shame since the early stuff had plenty of good moments in that direction, 'everyone can potentially be our friend,' the teacher being ace and giving her advice on what its like to feel like you don't fit in, the friend character being gay and telling her not to judge people by first impression and give them a chance, clearly explain yourself instead of jumping at them, etc. it was interesting discussions about things lgbt people struggle with that were maybe a bit smaltzy but were smartly handled. and it was seemingly all setup for... het romance? because as the series goes on the teacher basicalyl disappears, the friend character vanishes to the background, and akira becomes basically a support character.

like basically as soon as that shift happened it became clear akira was never gonna be a real romantic option, she never got 'tension' scenes the way shoujo romance options do. her role was ultimately, from a narrative perspective, just to support the main romance and be fine with whatever happened, and her reward was getting to name a baby. She never really develops at all - you could maybe say she got a bit more of a spine, but it's not really a focus or a pivotal moment. which again, isnt bad for a supporting character, but considering the series starts with a clear focus on her, her feelings, her struggles, it's really disappointing. The series, which startedo ut with some real insight into LGBT issues, ends with 'gay marriage isnt legal now but i hope it is :)'

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Everything Endorph said.

I'm just so irritated the literal "you" in the title got shunted into the background. Not even just romantically (although man all that wavering over if Hime could love Akira without invalidating her womanhood, oh wait maybe you're just bi and its cool, that sure didn't actually go anywhere), but as like a character in a story, instead of just an object for characters with agency to have positive opinions about.

EDIT: Like I don't know anything about the author and don't want to speculate on an actual human's actual life. But the story itself sure feels like a cis person staring into the middle distance and solemnly declaring "Trans people... (dramatic pause) are okay" and expecting everyone on the bus to clap.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 19, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

They had a character that was Ace and their sexuality mattered to the story which i've seen exist in like 4 other things ever so the author is probably ok imo. But they sure didn't actually know what to do with the more interesting elements of the story after a point. Maybe they just only had the first half really well planned out or whatever but it didn't come together at all.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Endorph posted:

for real though for a more expanded take i think this ending was probably fine if you were into the series from a shoujo romance perspective but if you were into it for lgbt stuff it sure did have like, a volume, maybe, of that. its a shame since the early stuff had plenty of good moments in that direction, 'everyone can potentially be our friend,' the teacher being ace and giving her advice on what its like to feel like you don't fit in, the friend character being gay and telling her not to judge people by first impression and give them a chance, clearly explain yourself instead of jumping at them, etc. it was interesting discussions about things lgbt people struggle with that were maybe a bit smaltzy but were smartly handled. and it was seemingly all setup for... het romance? because as the series goes on the teacher basicalyl disappears, the friend character vanishes to the background, and akira becomes basically a support character.

like basically as soon as that shift happened it became clear akira was never gonna be a real romantic option, she never got 'tension' scenes the way shoujo romance options do. her role was ultimately, from a narrative perspective, just to support the main romance and be fine with whatever happened, and her reward was getting to name a baby. She never really develops at all - you could maybe say she got a bit more of a spine, but it's not really a focus or a pivotal moment. which again, isnt bad for a supporting character, but considering the series starts with a clear focus on her, her feelings, her struggles, it's really disappointing. The series, which startedo ut with some real insight into LGBT issues, ends with 'gay marriage isnt legal now but i hope it is :)'

i agree with most of this but what ended up being the main romance was pretty underwhelming too

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i wish we could spend this long discussing stuff like ikou nikki... its so cute how when makio has trouble reaching for words she uses a movie...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it feels more like the author had ideas for things to explore in relation to lgbt people but then the manga had to keep going. maybe they didnt feel like they knew enough to keep the lgbt stuff the focus, maybe editors stopped them, maybe they just defaulted to what they felt more comfortable writing.

lih posted:

i agree with most of this but what ended up being the main romance was pretty underwhelming too
yeah that too. id mind the route it wound up taking less if the actual romantic lead was all that interesting