Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Augus posted:

personally i think the reason people don’t talk about haruhi much anymore is that it’s been literally a decade since the movie came out

no...!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

multijoe posted:

Thinking about how Excel Saga really fell off the charts two decades after it came out

it’s a motherfucking shame

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I like the Haruhi anime. All of it. I would watch any additional material that might come out.

It never will, though

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yeah because the studio burned down, I’d be surprised if they ever recover.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

hatty posted:

Yeah because the studio burned down, I’d be surprised if they ever recover.

Is it the same one that was attacked by an arsonist?

Because they've said they're starting (or have started) production on new shows (most notable Dragon Maid season 2).

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Oh that’s good to hear

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
People were super hype about Endless Eight when it happened because it was such a ballsy stunt.

In hindsight, given that they never got another season, it was probably a poor use of resources.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

multijoe posted:

Thinking about how Excel Saga really fell off the charts two decades after it came out

I really need to finish the Excel Saga manga. It's been years since I've last read it but if I remember correctly it's different from the show and also way better

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I recall people really liking the Haruhi movie, and the scandal happened shortly after and there just wasn't any media until... The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, I think? Which didn't really rekindle any fires.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Was there hype over Endless Eight? What I remember was mostly incredulous frustration, like "You fuckers were had fourteen more episodes of 2006's greatest anime, and with nine light novels of story to adapt you give us this." I think the rest of season two wasn't great either. One episode was good, eight episodes were Endless Eight, and five episodes were about the making of the student film and I hated that story arc. The movie was incredible but season two had burnt out my goodwill towards the series.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Hogama posted:

I recall people really liking the Haruhi movie, and the scandal happened shortly after and there just wasn't any media until... The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan, I think? Which didn't really rekindle any fires.

Was there a scandal involving Haruhi? I don't remember this.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

YggiDee posted:

Was there hype over Endless Eight? What I remember was mostly incredulous frustration, like "You fuckers were had fourteen more episodes of 2006's greatest anime, and with nine light novels of story to adapt you give us this." I think the rest of season two wasn't great either. One episode was good, eight episodes were Endless Eight, and five episodes were about the making of the student film and I hated that story arc. The movie was incredible but season two had burnt out my goodwill towards the series.

I looked back at the SA thread for that season of Haruhi years ago, and the thread reactions were pretty hilarious, with people thinking it would be 3 eps, but then realizing it legit might be 8, and all of the people in denial and others who were praying for that to be the case. Needless to say, it was fairly divisive.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Rand Brittain posted:

In hindsight, given that they never got another season, it was probably a poor use of resources.

it didn't get another season because it got a movie that kind of neatly wraps the story up.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Julias posted:

Was there a scandal involving Haruhi? I don't remember this.
Haruhi's VA was dismissed from her music label at the time for sleeping with all her bandmates (save the bassist, iirc). She was still recording music and voice acting nearly immediately afterwards, so it's hardly like it ended her career, but that incident just kind of broke fairly soon after the movie.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Bassists get no respect

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's an idiot's instrument

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

25 Chapters or so into my JoJolion reread, it really is a great part in the early going. Soft & Wet is such a fun Stand and all the Stand fights so far have been really cool. Just finished up Tsurugi loving with Yasuho and the first Rock Person appeared. Also found this edit I made of Johnny destroying that baby that ends up capturing Josuke during the Blue Hawaii arc

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Something I just remembered from early in JoJolion

There's an entire section of people in Joestar family that we don't know even know the names of because the Higashikata family tree only follows the oldest male child (single child in Holly's case) in every generation. It's an interesting change considering how every JoJo in the other timeline was an only child with some combination of absent/dead/lovely parents. It makes me wonder how different things were this time around. Like, what kind of a person would a Joseph Joestar that had three siblings (one "woman" on the tree is covered by the dialogue box) end up being?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Jorge has a sister, too.

Araki seems to be avoiding doing the weird backfills to the Joestar family tree this time around.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Presumably part 9 will step back in time imo and leaves him a tonne of space

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's also entirely likely that Jojolion Holly also has a bunch of bastard siblings running around, because the Joestar Sex Drive is immutable.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Does 8 feel near ending yet?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it seems to be coming to a climax of sorts

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Cool I remember there wasn’t even a leader of the rock folks revealed yet by the time they were heading to the hospital after burning the orchard when I took a hiatus

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

overmind2000 posted:

Something I just remembered from early in JoJolion

There's an entire section of people in Joestar family that we don't know even know the names of because the Higashikata family tree only follows the oldest male child (single child in Holly's case) in every generation. It's an interesting change considering how every JoJo in the other timeline was an only child with some combination of absent/dead/lovely parents. It makes me wonder how different things were this time around. Like, what kind of a person would a Joseph Joestar that had three siblings (one "woman" on the tree is covered by the dialogue box) end up being?

Josefumi has the star birthmark so he might be from one of those branches.

I actress through the whole series again recently and took notes about stuff that either seem like plot holes or we don’t have answers to so far:

- Josuke was in Ojiro’s house 3 days earlier according to the album and girl. This seems to have been dropped as soon as the following chapter, but I guess it could be relevant at some point... or it was a random dude he kidnapped.

- Norisuke doesn’t want Josuke to regain his memories at first... Why? I guess it could be because he doesn’t want Kira to realize what’s going on and escape, losing his chance at learning about the curse... or something like that, I guess?

- Theres the infamous flashback man. At first I assumed it was just an early design for Yotsuyu, but looking at it again it seems like Jobin With his hair down and without the scars.

- Kira was investigating Higashikatas and had their publishing mark as a tattoo. This is dropped afterwards but it doesn’t really contradict what we’ve seen. He probably wanted info about the curse and/or locacaca from them and was researching them on his own time.

- A Mystery Baby washed up in Morioh on the same day as Johnnys death. Yasuho makes a big deal about this and we never hear about it again. I figured maybe it was a rock human but now we know baby rock humans are big-sized so what the gently caress

- Karera says kiras knowledge hid her from the world. Not sure what that means. She also says she saw Kira’s locacaca tree in a flower pot in his kitchen, and that he disposed of other trees. It’s shown later that she’s not actually not very involved with Josefumi and Kira and is making a lot of stuff up so it’s possible she’s just trying to seem in the know. She also knows about Holly, too.
I thought this was a plot hole at first but it turns out she heard Damo talking about Kira having the fruit etc.

- Jobin knows about Kira and Josefumi’s equivalent exchange into Josuke when talking to Dolemite. It’s possible one of the rock humans told him so I guess it’s not really an issue though.

- The ambulance driver was head doctor (Wonder of U). Maybe I misread it, but I thought the gunshot that killed Poor Tom came from outside the ambulance. I guess it could have been Tohru.

- What’s with Kira’s magically transforming hat, seriously

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

- Theres the infamous flashback man. At first I assumed it was just an early design for Yotsuyu, but looking at it again it seems like Jobin With his hair down and without the scars.

When was this?

quote:

- A Mystery Baby washed up in Morioh on the same day as Johnnys death. Yasuho makes a big deal about this and we never hear about it again. I figured maybe it was a rock human but now we know baby rock humans are big-sized so what the gently caress

I assumed it was going to be revealed Johnny was reincarnated or something but that never happened.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

- What’s with Kira’s magically transforming hat, seriously

He's this universe's version of Jotaro and as such has an anomalous hat

rko
Jul 12, 2017
I actually basically binge-read all of Jojolion last night, and while I’m completely enamored with large swaths of it, Araki’s habit of just trashing whole swaths of foreshadowing really sticks out in a part with a bigger focus on mystery and intrigue than most others. It’s nowhere near as egregious as, say, Part 4 Josuke’s never-followed-up flashback to a guy who looks just like him saving his life in a series that includes time travel, or course.

EmmyOk posted:

It depends on how many loose ends Araki feels like tying up, honestly. I don’t care for the current antagonist being the final Stand battle, and it seems absurd to not end the series with the final villain doing the same kind of fusion dance Josuke did to create a Big Bad Hybrid Stand (not to mention several characters who seem like obvious “I’m introducing these characters because they’ll be important later” bits, but see the above complaint). But you could probably also wrap this plot up in five chapters or so. Hard to say!

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

rko posted:

It’s nowhere near as egregious as, say, Part 4 Josuke’s never-followed-up flashback to a guy who looks just like him saving his life in a series that includes time travel, or course.

The never touched on mystery on why Josuke looks just like this person he modeled himself after.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

TEN MORE YEARS! TEN MORE YEARS! TEN MORE YEARS!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Flashback guy is just a random punk with a heart of gold and that’s all he was ever meant to be. I don’t know why anyone thinks otherwise.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Flashback guy is clearly Gappy in disguise, Araki planned this all along!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

no he isnt

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i feel like the 'josuke time travel' thing should be dead by now given that araki has literally directly admitted to having no idea what the gently caress he was going to do for the antagonist of part 4 by that point

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
At this point I hope part 9 ends with a universe/time loop to the beginning of part 1, and that somewhere in part 9 a pompadour'd josuke time travels mid-fight to save a mother and her young feverish son in a snowstorm

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

rko posted:

It’s nowhere near as egregious as, say, Part 4 Josuke’s never-followed-up flashback to a guy who looks just like him saving his life in a series that includes time travel, or course.

It's a question Araki has been asked more than once

https://twitter.com/jojo_wiki/status/1115746674129887232

I never believed the theory if for no other reason than that flashback guy is dressed incredibly normally compared to Josuke and Josuke from anywhere in Part 4 would have had at least some cool things on his jacket

Daxing Dan
Apr 2, 2015

Damn it, why it does need to remain only four bullets!?
Sorry for bringing back translation chat, but I looked over Dogpark's Stone Ocean translation and was not very impressed.

Probably the most critical translation error is this panel from Chapter 2, where the lawyer is describing the terms of Jolyne's plea deal:

What the lawyer is offering Jolyne here is not a shorter prison sentence or a grace period before her sentence. What he is offering is the chance to not be sent to prison at all if she pleads guilty now and doesn't commit any other crimes during the suspension period. Since Jolyne thinks she's otherwise facing at least 5 years in prison if convicted, she understandably takes the plea deal. Dogpark here is not even necessarily more correct than the already existing translation, they're just wrong in a different direction.

But while I'm here, I'll take a few more shots.

Answer: His daughter is in such a serious situation, after all.
一大事 looks like it's made up of 一(number one) and 大事(important), but when you put them together into one word, it doesn't mean "number one in importance," it actaully means "a serious situation."

Is this a bad translation, or a bad editorial decision? I don't know, but I hate it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Daxing Dan posted:

Sorry for bringing back translation chat, but I looked over Dogpark's Stone Ocean translation and was not very impressed.

Probably the most critical translation error is this panel from Chapter 2, where the lawyer is describing the terms of Jolyne's plea deal:

What the lawyer is offering Jolyne here is not a shorter prison sentence or a grace period before her sentence. What he is offering is the chance to not be sent to prison at all if she pleads guilty now and doesn't commit any other crimes during the suspension period. Since Jolyne thinks she's otherwise facing at least 5 years in prison if convicted, she understandably takes the plea deal. Dogpark here is not even necessarily more correct than the already existing translation, they're just wrong in a different direction.

But while I'm here, I'll take a few more shots.

Answer: His daughter is in such a serious situation, after all.
一大事 looks like it's made up of 一(number one) and 大事(important), but when you put them together into one word, it doesn't mean "number one in importance," it actaully means "a serious situation."

Is this a bad translation, or a bad editorial decision? I don't know, but I hate it.

Thank you for your work, king. Glad you still have the Mista av lol

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

TEN MORE YEARS! TEN MORE YEARS! TEN MORE YEARS!

I like when we get to meet a new JoJo though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

EmmyOk posted:

I like when we get to meet a new JoJo though

Me too. And I'm also waiting for part 8 to end so I can read it all in one shot, then join everyone in reading part 9 as it releases.

Only reason I'm waiting is because I'm under the impression that part 8 is close to done. Gonna lol though if it turns out that we've got another few years or something