Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

*yawn* who could have possibly seen this coming

truly I am shocked, utterly shocked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

https://twitter.com/ashtonpittman/status/1295462052757221378

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

"error"

"inadvertently"

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Extremely unlikely (though not impossible because "pretty great country") situation (active shooter) outweighing extremely likely scenario of at least one room closed shut with at least one infected kid inside. Cool, cool.

Actual print headline from UNC's student newspaper, which Some People are whining about because bad language is worse than a deadly pandemic:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Zugzwang posted:

Extremely unlikely (though not impossible because "pretty great country") situation (active shooter) outweighing extremely likely scenario of at least one room closed shut with at least one infected kid inside. Cool, cool.
Actual print headline from UNC's student newspaper, which Some People are whining about because bad language is worse than a deadly pandemic:

:decorum:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

RudeCat posted:

"error"

"inadvertently"

For what it's worth I've written bugs exactly like that before and government agencies aren't known for their programming skills

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
meanwhile a bunch of people in the germany thread (where more schools are set to open soon) were all "schools will be fine

Zugzwang posted:

i can't express in words my seething hatred for Some People

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Wife and I drove through the small TX town of Bandera, and decided to stop to check out the shops. We decided not to go into any, because each shop had this sign on the window (yes, every shop. they coordinated together on this)

We're all screwed lol. Americans are too dumb to be alive.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I bet the staff there love those, while the owner who put them up stays safely at home.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

food court bailiff posted:

*yawn* who could have possibly seen this coming

truly I am shocked, utterly shocked
Oh yeah college students are gonna kill us all.

This is Normal IL off campus housing for Illinois State University. Students weren't let out of their leases by the blood-sucking campus housing companies and as a result everyone is here from all over the state and country.

lmao our fate rests on college students not partying, we're all hosed.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

dwarf74 posted:

lmao our fate rests on college students not partying, we're all hosed.
They should invite the admins of the campus housing companies

stump collector
May 28, 2007

zgrowler2 posted:

You can automate the helicopter part, a non-insignificant number of firms opted for user control solutions post-WFH-boom that use webcams, focus trackers and the like to micromanage workers' time and productivity on the clock. Orwellian poo poo. Middle managers are cruisin for a bruisin in 2020

How can you tell if such software is installed on your computer? I'm not familiar with any of the programs. I have a webcam but like most people I never have my laptop open.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

stump collector posted:

How can you tell if such software is installed on your computer? I'm not familiar with any of the programs. I have a webcam but like most people I never have my laptop open.

On an enterprise managed device if you're not a local administrator, you can't really.

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

On an enterprise managed device if you're not a local administrator, you can't really.

This, sadly, if your work issued you a device. If you're using your own device, it's a matter of checking running processes and services against lists of known corporate spyware, but even then VPN administrators can see everything you do over the network and dashboards exist and are used to make said info collection very easy to parse through.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

According to this the usa could already have like 220k covid deaths.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covid19/excess_deaths.htm

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Strangest Finch posted:

My limited understanding of HIPAA is that if you aren't a medical professional it straight up doesn't apply to you. If it did you'd be in violation after saying saying "My father has cancer." That said, "a not from her doctor saying that she has MS" absolutely sounds like a HIPAA violation.

There's so many idiots in the US who don't understand HIPAA (or even FERPA, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act which covers schools) and are utterly convinced that it's a get-out-of-jail-free card for never having to wear a mask because you can just scream "I HAVE A MEDICAL CONDITION AND IF YOU ASK WHAT IT IS I WILL SUE YOU, I KNOW MY RIGHTS!!!!11!" at shop clerks who ask them to put on a mask or leave. We've also got them in Australia even though HIPAA doesn't apply here which makes it even more hilarious when they flounder about trying to bullshit their way out of wearing a mask without giving an actual reason.

I was arguing with an anti-masker on Facebook and she thought she'd blow away all my arguments by saying "Well actually I have a legitimate medical reason I can't wear a mask :smug:" and absolutely exploded when I called her on her bullshit. Apparently she couldn't even drop a tiny hint about the rough medical field her "condition" fell under because that was 100% a complete violation of her sacred privacy. :rolleyes:

I also know a whole bunch of people who do have actual medical conditions which heavily factor into their COVID-19 precautions and you can always tell the legit ones because they won't ever loving shut up about their condition and will tell everyone about it at every opportunity. :v:

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
All the people I know with actual respiratory conditions already owned N95 masks for dusty work around the house or extreme pollen days, and happily wear them to the grocery store when they have to leave the house. It's such a bullshit excuse.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

I love my state! :suicide:

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Detheros posted:

I love my state! :suicide:

Jastiger and Burt Sexual do, unironically.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

The first week means that these are students who didn't catch cv19 on campus, but came to campus sick right? Oh, who could have seen this coming. I sort of feel like forcing college students to come in for one week before transitioning to online only is a slimy trick to keep enrollment up and I'd guess soak students for fees/housing/meal plans/etc. That's a pretty cynical take on my experience as a consumer of an university education.

Between bad decisions all around and mucking with testing and account of cases, I kinda feel bad for all of the hot takes I made about the CCP response.

Delta-Wye fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Aug 18, 2020

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Delta-Wye posted:

The first week means that these are students who didn't catch cv19 on campus, but came to campus sick right? Oh, who could have seen this coming.

I kinda feel bad for all of the hot takes I made about the CCP response.
The university didn't require COVID-19 tests to return to campus: https://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2020/07/testing-update-0729

I dunno exactly who made all these decisions but the Board of Governors for UNC is largely ultra-chuds, last I checked.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The cutoff to get tuition back was 5:00 today.
The announcement was 3:45. Another thing we all saw coming.

I went to UNC and really liked it, but man do I hate the admin.

Scarodactyl fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Aug 18, 2020

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Scarodactyl posted:

Holy poo poo lol, :guillotine:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

There's so many idiots in the US who don't understand HIPAA (or even FERPA, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act which covers schools) and are utterly convinced that it's a get-out-of-jail-free card for never having to wear a mask because you can just scream "I HAVE A MEDICAL CONDITION AND IF YOU ASK WHAT IT IS I WILL SUE YOU, I KNOW MY RIGHTS!!!!11!" at shop clerks who ask them to put on a mask or leave. We've also got them in Australia even though HIPAA doesn't apply here which makes it even more hilarious when they flounder about trying to bullshit their way out of wearing a mask without giving an actual reason.

I was arguing with an anti-masker on Facebook and she thought she'd blow away all my arguments by saying "Well actually I have a legitimate medical reason I can't wear a mask :smug:" and absolutely exploded when I called her on her bullshit. Apparently she couldn't even drop a tiny hint about the rough medical field her "condition" fell under because that was 100% a complete violation of her sacred privacy. :rolleyes:

I also know a whole bunch of people who do have actual medical conditions which heavily factor into their COVID-19 precautions and you can always tell the legit ones because they won't ever loving shut up about their condition and will tell everyone about it at every opportunity. :v:

As a person with a disability I'm really disappointed that having a disability doesn't actually mean I'm allowed to do whatever I want. Rules still apply to people with disabilities. :mad:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reasonable_accommodation

quote:

The United Nations use this term in the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, saying refusal to make accommodation results in discrimination. It defines a "reasonable accommodation" as:

... necessary and appropriate modification and adjustments not imposing a disproportionate or undue burden, where needed in a particular case, to ensure to persons with disabilities the enjoyment or exercise on an equal basis with others of all human rights and fundamental freedoms;

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

You can’t cut back on transom funding! You will regret this!

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

More fun happenings in Hawai'i! I am proud-to the point of chauvinism-to be from the most beautiful and diverse place on earth, but it does come with a wide variety of idiots.

This dumbass was holding jazz jam nights with a dance floor and everything, not a mask in sight. Ironically, the videos I've seen of that were taken by someone who is the biggest germophobe I know. Seems he had to convince himself that covid wasn't real just to stop his brain oozing out his ears.

https://www.facebook.com/bub.pratt.9/videos/3500025453361710/

The establishment mentioned also held a town hall style event two weeks ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ys9LH0_WbYk

The intersection of Sovereign Citizens with the Hawaiian Sovereignty Movement is a pretty fascinating thing, and it's unfortunate that it distracts from the legitimate grievances of the Native Hawaiian people.

A nice mini-cluster at the hospital on Maui,

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/...AIp1VFGhdYAtzyk

And a massive cluster at the O'ahu prison!

https://www.kitv.com/story/42501576/200-occc-inmates-and-staff-infected-with-covid19

And a big ol' boat party because why not?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Hawaii/comments/ibnnwj/huge_boat_party_on_oahu_no_masks_too/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

:lol: My stupid city is opening up again, and more and more people are not giving two fucks and don't want to wear a mask. I'm guessing it has to do with the vaccine news. The one we might not get until somewhere after January 2021. Anyways, influenza (and H1N1) season are coming up soon so I suppose shits gonna hit the fan.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Scarodactyl posted:

Still playing football this season! https://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2020/08/covid-sports-update

BiG TrUcKs !!!
Feb 25, 2007

My life is the most blessed and most cursed in existence (blessed spiritually, cursed physically)
Honestly if we all stopped doing stuff on the outside of our homes we probably wouldn't get sick. Just my two cents.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

Honestly if we all stopped doing stuff on the outside of our homes we probably wouldn't get sick. Just my two cents.

True, but tell our workplaces that.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

numberoneposter posted:

That's what you call a catch 22.

American schools: either you catch a .22 or you catch 19

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

BiG TrUcKs !!! posted:

Look at this fool believing in the germ theory of disease, not realising that covid is visited on those with insufficient faith in God

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm in PA and we seem to be trying to get this poo poo under control. We had about 2000 cases a day when lockdown started, now we're at around 700 a day. Still way too high and, sadly, above the ~500 a day we had back in may. Testing is way up, too, which is good, we've basically been trending upward this entire time.

Republicans have been fighting every single step of the way. Arguing that masks kill people, trying to get bars open, arguing that all school must be in-person every day of the week. And this week there's a bunch of Republican events going on "to support Trump". The last local one only had 9 people show up, so hopefully that trend continues. My Dad would die from covid (he has COPD and already survived a ruptured bowel 15 years ago that left him in septic shock and a coma) so every time I see an anti-masker I flip poo poo.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

This fall is going to be a loving shitshow both in the States and here in CanadaianaLand. Mind you, even here in Alberta, people are wearing their masks and being, in general, more considerate. Now I'm waiting for our provincial government to dismantle our medical system.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

People, it is the loving air, no matter how much some scientists bicker about the correct taxonomy of particles at different sizes.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/07/why-arent-we-talking-more-about-airborne-transmission/614737/

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I can't figure out why our numbers haven't shot through the roof here. We've been back to school since 7/30. The HS went E-learning only from 8/3-8/7 due to 4-5 positive cases, but the elementary and intermediate have been business as usual since day one.

Students have done well with masks in the high school where I teach, but lunch seems like it should be a covid breeding ground. 25-30 minutes with mask off, chewing, talking, spreading droplets everywhere.

It probably helps that we're at about 65% capacity with the students who are E-learning, but there still isn't room in most classes to distance and we strictly follow the lovely CDC "15 minutes of maskless contact within 6ft= exposure" so they've gotten by with minimal contact tracing. So if Rayden kisses Khrystianna for 30 seconds at their locker or if Clayton is found out to be positive after spending the whole day coughing and farting aerosolized covid and a kid sat 6' 1" from him....well none of that counts because it doesn't meet all three criteria to initiate testing/quarantining.

Still hoping to be out by fall break.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Sir Not Appearing posted:

we strictly follow the lovely CDC "15 minutes of maskless contact within 6ft= exposure" so they've gotten by with minimal contact tracing. So if Rayden kisses Khrystianna for 30 seconds at their locker or if Clayton is found out to be positive after spending the whole day coughing and farting aerosolized covid and a kid sat 6' 1" from him....well none of that counts because it doesn't meet all three criteria to initiate testing/quarantining.
i haven't read the cdc rules specifically, but the german RKI rules state that the 15 minutes thing only applies for people at speaking range and anything closer or more intense is to be considered a contact regardless of time

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Mithaldu posted:

People, it is the loving air, no matter how much some scientists bicker about the correct taxonomy of particles at different sizes.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/07/why-arent-we-talking-more-about-airborne-transmission/614737/

They're not talking about this because then they'd have to admit it's airborne.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

In six months we're going to learn that all of the superspreader events were caused by mouth breathers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

azurite posted:

They're not talking about this because then they'd have to admit it's airborne.

quote:

ZEYNEP TUFEKCI is a contributing writer at The Atlantic and an associate professor at the University of North Carolina. She studies the interaction between digital technology, artificial intelligence, and society.

Not to say that this isn’t true, but I wish people would stop smugly relying on editorial columns by non-experts. There was an article a couple of weeks ago that advocated for masks and empty middle seats as adequate protective measures for flights, due to the excellent ventilation/filtration on planes. The author had, like a Master’s in Organizational Dynamics.