Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thanks, I mocked up the cards to play with my group the last two times, so it'll be nice to have sorta vaguely real ones instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Slightly irrelevant question I know, but (seeing as I'm finally about to start a Gloomhaven campaign, like, two years after getting the game :v: ) for those who use play-logging apps like ScorePal, how do you log Gloomhaven? Do you just log one play for each session, or do you log one play for each scenario? (And if it's the latter, what about if a mini-encounter occurs, between scenarios? Since I think I remember reading that you can get into brief fights between scenarios, due to stuff like the city/road cards)

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Major Isoor posted:

Since I think I remember reading that you can get into brief fights between scenarios, due to stuff like the city/road cards

So I don't use any play-logging app but for this situation specifically: the mid-scenario city/road encounters are literally like, a single card that you choose an A or B decision on and get one of a few outcomes, which usually amount to gaining/losing money, getting some damage or status effects going into the scenario, unlocking some content, etc. Even the "fights" are just something where you read the outcome on the back of the card, i.e. "after a hard fought battle you drive off the bandits, all start scenario with 3 damage". They take <5 minutes and don't have any gameplay beyond a binary decision.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Major Isoor posted:

Slightly irrelevant question I know, but (seeing as I'm finally about to start a Gloomhaven campaign, like, two years after getting the game :v: ) for those who use play-logging apps like ScorePal, how do you log Gloomhaven? Do you just log one play for each session, or do you log one play for each scenario? (And if it's the latter, what about if a mini-encounter occurs, between scenarios? Since I think I remember reading that you can get into brief fights between scenarios, due to stuff like the city/road cards)

There are no fights between scenarios. If you do get into one on a road card it's just described as something like "You get attacked by a bunch of wolves while walking down the road instead of going into the mysterious evil fog like you should have but you fight them off in the end. All start scenario with 4 damage and wound."

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Ahh, right - fair enough. I think I'll just log the scenarios themselves then and maybe put any pre-scenario modifiers into the comments, if I can be bothered.
Thanks - sorry for that somewhat non-Gloomhaven related question! (I'm sure I'll have plenty more relevant questions, once I actually start playing :v:)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Aug 20, 2020

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I've had the original sitting in a bin unplayed for two years, but I just bought Jaws of the Lion from my LGS by trading in bulk rares. It seems much less intimidating and might be a good gateway into the real game.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Got back into swing of things and did Scenario 90.

My Cragheart utterly ruined the day of some Night demons in the right-side room with Rock Slide, Invisibility Cloak, Stamina Potion and a second Rock Slide. Good luck trying to get me when the only open routes go through traps and/or hazardous terrain, you slippery bastards.

Also, the universe seems determined to prove me wrong when I said that taking Stone Sigil at Two-Mini L5 was a subpar choice instead of going back to L4 Ancient Ward. The Monolith tanked a whole bunch of Earth Demon hits and the Wind Demons pulled it towards them and proceeded to wail on it, with the Elite wasting its Disarm on it. It also did a lot of work in Scenario 87 Corrupted Cove and 72 Oozing Grove. I'm sure things will be different once we start getting scenarios with more than two rooms.

Warden fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 24, 2020

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

I've had the original sitting in a bin unplayed for two years, but I just bought Jaws of the Lion from my LGS by trading in bulk rares. It seems much less intimidating and might be a good gateway into the real game.

just a heads up, having played both, i didn't find this to be the case. the complicated parts of JOTL are still just as complicated. the only real streamlining i can see is that there aren't any tiles to manage, and you play the game on the book instead

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

boar guy posted:

just a heads up, having played both, i didn't find this to be the case. the complicated parts of JOTL are still just as complicated. the only real streamlining i can see is that there aren't any tiles to manage, and you play the game on the book instead

I haven't had time to really mess with it, but last night I did set it up and saw how a player turn would go. The setup is so simple, as is take-down. The game tells you how to organize everything. Most of the rules are on the cards themselves instead of having to cross-reference the original Gloomhaven rulebook. I bet if you know the original game in and out, it's just as easy. The only thing I'm disappointed in is that I would have liked if the game was balanced so playing one character was possible for single player. Though once my fiance saw me set it up, she was curious about it, especially when she remembers trying to play the original and getting overwhelmed by how much stuff there was. So I might just play two player after all.

When people told me Gloomhaven needed a lot of space, the advice from multiple people was "Just set it up on a table in a spare room and that way you can go back to it!" How many people have a spare room they can use for Gloomhaven? Do you all have Gloomhaven rooms in your house?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i mean, the setup is not really the hard part dude, though it is time consuming if you're not using the Helper app

the hard part is monster movement, when to apply conditions and how they affect what, tracking elements and if you're not using the app, tracking everything with chits. when you read the rulebook for scenarios 3 and 4 this will become more evident.

again, i don't think that approaching JOTL as a dumbed down version of Gloomhaven is the right approach because while it's a tad more refined, it isnt easier to play

boar guy fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Aug 24, 2020

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

LifeLynx posted:

When people told me Gloomhaven needed a lot of space, the advice from multiple people was "Just set it up on a table in a spare room and that way you can go back to it!" How many people have a spare room they can use for Gloomhaven? Do you all have Gloomhaven rooms in your house?
I have a dining room that we never actually eat meals in, so... kind of?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

JOTL was designed to be a little slimmer but with basically the same rules - it wouldn't be a very good introduction to Gloomhaven if say combat was completely different. It's a good introduction because it has the same rules for monster movement etc

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

JOTL was designed to be a little slimmer but with basically the same rules - it wouldn't be a very good introduction to Gloomhaven if say combat was completely different. It's a good introduction because it has the same rules for monster movement etc

Yeah there are certain things trimmed off in the interest of slimming down the rulebook and getting rid of things that generate the most questions/confusion/extra rules (summons, rolling modifiers, enhancements, etc) but it is still supposed to be Gloomhaven at its core. The new scenario book also reduces parts by a lot so as a result the box is significantly smaller and less intimidating and setup is quicker.

It is very much supposed to be an introduction to Gloomhaven; if you were intimidated by the giant box and JotL is going to actually hit your table you are 100% in the exact target demographic.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

LifeLynx posted:

Also yeah this is not great advice, or it least it isn't applicable to everyone. More specifically it's much less advice for dealing with the space than for dealing with setup time (i mean, if space is a concern, then obviously "use all this extra space you have to just keep it set up constantly!" isn't really sane advice)

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Yea, I bought JotL and my local game shop and spent the weekend playing it with my wife and two friends. It is definitely a perfect intro to the game for people who were interested in Gloomhaven but didn’t want to invest in the gigantic base game. The intro scenarios are also an excellent idea and should have been included in the original game. It only took two hours to get through the three intro scenarios, and the new players had a very firm understanding of the rules.

The only downside is that the Demolitionist is terrible at low levels, especially compared to the Hatchet and Voidwarden. The opening scenarios are so easy that everything dies within 1 or 2 attacks, leaving no time for her to step in and punch things. I’m sure it gets better later, but my wife was bored out of her mind.

Gloomhaven Helper remains an absolute necessity for playing any type of Gloomhaven, including JotL.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

boar guy posted:

i mean, the setup is not really the hard part dude, though it is time consuming if you're not using the Helper app

the hard part is monster movement, when to apply conditions and how they affect what, tracking elements and if you're not using the app, tracking everything with chits. when you read the rulebook for scenarios 3 and 4 this will become more evident.

again, i don't think that approaching JOTL as a dumbed down version of Gloomhaven is the right approach because while it's a tad more refined, it isnt easier to play

Ah okay. Getting started was the hard part for us, it's insanely daunting to look at.

I'm going to try Gloomhaven Helper. I never liked the idea of fiddling with my phone during a game, but I just played with it for not even a minute and realized how it makes things a lot easier to keep track.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Ah okay. Getting started was the hard part for us, it's insanely daunting to look at.

I'm going to try Gloomhaven Helper. I never liked the idea of fiddling with my phone during a game, but I just played with it for not even a minute and realized how it makes things a lot easier to keep track.

you have to. you'll go from one scenario in a night to three. just the physical time saved moving the chits is a lot, and if the internet ever dies and society collapses, hell, you've got the chits as a backup

editing to say the posters above me are right, it's very evident that JOTL is meant as an intro to the full game. the complexity is still very much there.

Aggro posted:

The only downside is that the Demolitionist is terrible at low levels, especially compared to the Hatchet and Voidwarden. The opening scenarios are so easy that everything dies within 1 or 2 attacks, leaving no time for her to step in and punch things. I’m sure it gets better later, but my wife was bored out of her mind.

im playing the VW in my group and she earned the name 'X the Stationary' because she took like 3 steps during the first 3 scenarios.

getting the full deck at the start of scenario 4 helped her be a lot more fun to play. some truly powerful stuff in there

boar guy fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 24, 2020

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Our adventures continue with Scenario #37. Narrow passageways worked surprisingly well for Cragheart, and with certain items and cards I went through things like a buzzsaw.

We're planning on hitting the Scenario that will allow me to retire as soon as we get Prosperity to 6. When that happens it is goodbye Mr Stoney and hello Lightning Bolt.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lightning Bolt is a super fun class, some people say they like Sun best but I liked Lightning Bolt more (I played Sun, and then Lightning Bolt right after)

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, Lightning Bolt had my favorite play style, there's nothing better then Charging into the dead center of a room, chugging a potion, hucking axes at literally everything and screaming nobody gets out of here alive. Especially Me.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My favorite Lightning Bolts combo was (Item spoilers for Prosperity 4) using the spear to use Glass Hammer on 2 targets instead of 1. One time I drew two blessings in a row on a pair of attacks like that, dealing over 100 total damage, and I noted to my party "that attack gave me 20 experience"

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Has anyone tried out any fan-made custom classes?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Kalli posted:

Yeah, Lightning Bolt had my favorite play style, there's nothing better then Charging into the dead center of a room, chugging a potion, hucking axes at literally everything and screaming nobody gets out of here alive. Especially Me.

Fondly remembering the Sun/Lightning Bolt/Saw combo our team used once. Turns out the lightning bolt really has a fun time when they arent at risk of death

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kalli posted:

I loved doing that, though I did also hedge my bets by bringing an Invisibility Cloak, Defiance of Death and a certain niche healing item whose item code I forget. I would frequently announce my strategy of kicking in the next door and attacking the enemies in the room, and get insulted when anyone asked me stupid questions like if I had any idea how many enemies would be in the room or where they'd be or if I knew what kind of attacks I'd face.

My favorite play of any character is in a scenario where I was hanging back in the first room to tie up a scenario goal while my party was trying to get a handle on the second room. By the time I was done I was nearly dead, and I decided "gently caress it, the play here is to go out in a blaze of glory and my party can handle the rest." So I made a mad dash past everyone, straight through the third room (using Careless Charge to push an enemy far enough back that he'd still aggro me rather than my party; I am a team player after all), into the final room, and let out the storm.

Not only did I kill every enemy in the last room and most of the previous one single-handedly, I somehow came away from it with more health than I'd gone in. Afterwards my party agreed that we could spend the next session wrapping up my retirement.

QuarkJets posted:

My favorite Lightning Bolts combo was (Item spoilers for Prosperity 4) using the spear to use Glass Hammer on 2 targets instead of 1. One time I drew two blessings in a row on a pair of attacks like that, dealing over 100 total damage, and I noted to my party "that attack gave me 20 experience"

We immediately house ruled that Glass Hammer/Resolute Stand only gives experience for the highest damage done to a single target. Initially against my wishes, but I managed to keep up with the leveling curve very comfortably.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

We immediately house ruled that Glass Hammer/Resolute Stand only gives experience for the highest damage done to a single target. Initially against my wishes, but I managed to keep up with the leveling curve very comfortably.

Thats fair. Could you imagine if a class got like 30+ experience every scenario? That would be insanely broken ha ha ha

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Honestly it kinda owned

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Control Volume posted:

Thats fair. Could you imagine if a class got like 30+ experience every scenario? That would be insanely broken ha ha ha

Ha ha ha, yeah, it's sure lucky that there's no class like that in the game.

I retired my music note with 780 xp after 15 scenarios, poo poo is insane.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

dwarf74 posted:

Has anyone tried out any fan-made custom classes?

Shitloads! What are you after?

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

QuarkJets posted:

Lightning Bolt is a super fun class, some people say they like Sun best but I liked Lightning Bolt more (I played Sun, and then Lightning Bolt right after)

We have Sun unlocked via positive Reputation, but after retiring Brute, one of our players opted for Scoundrel (his unlock was Angry-Face, which had already been unlocked, and we got a Random Scenario and Random Design instead). We are currently Cragheart, Two-Mini, Angry-Face and Scoundrel. Two-mini has been very interesting and quite strong, even with some deliberately sub-optimal card picks, and Angry-Face is completely bonkers at their chosen role. Also, its L6 Card opened up a whole new avenue of screwing with the enemy. I know what the Sun's like, having gone through its cards and Perks after we unlocked it as an option, and I have a basic idea what the Lightning Bolt's role is and what makes it special. I am still weighing my options, both seem like they would complement Scoundrel really well

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Emalde posted:

Shitloads! What are you after?
Just like general impressions, fun ones to try, etc. :)

Since we're on TTS the worst logistics of custom classes disappear and I'd like to try some out.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

dwarf74 posted:

Just like general impressions, fun ones to try, etc. :)

Since we're on TTS the worst logistics of custom classes disappear and I'd like to try some out.

Out of the community "endorsed" ones:

Rootwhisperer allows for a lot of satisfying territory control and is pretty easy to pick up and toy with, definitely recommend.

Brewmaster is a unique and effective tank but disjointed and comes with a lot of per-turn overhead with the stagger/provoke, if you have players that enjoy a bit of work this is a fine class and has a lot of interesting interplay with its unique items/persistent effects.

Frostborn is sort of the other side of "per-turn overhead" with a lot of per-enemy condition tracking that TTS doesn't help much with but is more of a DPS/control hybrid. When played well is very effective at shutting down targets and really making you feel like you're just pressing faces into the dirt.

Brightspark is an entire class that basically incorporates a bunch of cards that would be representative of other entire classes but distilled down to singular cards. Extremely versatile and easy to play, highly recommend.

Amber Aegis is a very complicated tank/control character that feels awesome when played well but can crash and burn pretty easily if you aren't very good at parsing enemy AI. One of my personal favorites, but an intimidating skill ceiling for sure.

As for other customs:

Savvas Hollowpact is under frequent design flux but is a very satisfying hit-and-run skirmisher with some Cragheart influence to create some other interesting build paths.

Orchid Chieftain is by the Brightspark guy and is another easy to grasp class that's a different spin on Summoner. Lots of strong and interesting combat effects, takes a lot of the pressure out of the hope-and-pray nature of Summoner on some turns.

Quatryl Artificer is an excellent take on a mixed range DPS class with a lot of fun toys to employ. They've recently started working on events and scenarios from the looks of things.

Quatryl Bombard is another from the Brightspark guy, interesting huge-range DPS class or tank hybrid. Seems to be in design flux right now but absolutely worth checking out.

Savvas Aeromancer is a really silly DPS/support hybrid with a ton of goofy ways to just completely shut out enemies. I don't know that I'd say it's well balanced, but it tends to be a riot and is easy to play!

Human Curseborn is a really neat experimental multi-purpose character that... honestly takes a lot of work to get the most out of. The entire character plays like a puzzle from turn to turn and I'm still not sure if I appreciate it or not, but is worth a look I think.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow, Emalde, you were not kidding. That's a lot of great poo poo.

Thank you for taking the time to put that together. I'll try to get those top ones into the mix. Aeromancer was the first one I saw, and it looks hilarious.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

What's the general consensus on balance for these various custom classes?

We have a player in our main TTS game starting the Aeromancer and it seems mostly okay outside of a few big abilities (that level 9 that lets everyone fly and also chooses targets for ranged attacks seemed way too powerful) but at the same time I feel like the designer "gilded the lily" a bit on some of the actions.

From that and a few of the other ones I've looked at it seems like a common mistake is to introduce some interesting new ability then over-tweak it a bit, trying to make sure it is good in more contexts instead of just letting the original concept be carried by its own strength. The level 9 I mentioned above is a perfect example: it has some neat concepts but adds extra stuff (enemies also losing flight, the ranged attacks from enemies ignoring range) that just seems like overkill when "everyone can fly and also you choose where ranged attacks go" is already pretty insanely powerful by itself.

The cool thing about Gloomhaven I find is that balance is largely kind of handled by the amount of stuff going on and the number of cards you have to manage (so even an "overpowered" card on some class is just a single card among the several you have to play every rest cycle) but I also am wary about amateur designers going overboard on their cards and things getting out of hand.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Well, the "released" classes have gone through extensive multi-table playtesting with like 100+ scenarios or something. Which is probably more than many of the official classes on first release. :)

I'd argue none of them hit the Eclipse/Note/3 Spears trifecta of brokenness. And none of them are down with, say, the Tinkerer. But this is all from reading, which is why I was curious about how they play.

I found out today that a number of these designers contributed a lot to class design and playtesting for JotL and Frosthaven, btw.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Oh yeah, definitely less playtesting went in so I don't begrudge them that. From being interested in game design I do get nit-picky to be sure, and like I said for the most part it's hard for a class to be "broken" to the point where it completely messes with the game. Mostly just curious what kinds of critiques -- if any -- the community has for them.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Guy A. Person posted:

Oh yeah, definitely less playtesting went in so I don't begrudge them that. From being interested in game design I do get nit-picky to be sure, and like I said for the most part it's hard for a class to be "broken" to the point where it completely messes with the game. Mostly just curious what kinds of critiques -- if any -- the community has for them.
I probably wasn't clear, sorry - the top handful of custom classes probably have had more playtesting than most of the 17 original GH classes, when the original game was released.

By all appearances, the Released and Released+ classes look good and rewarding to play. Emalde confirms that suspicion, which I appreciate. Most of the beta classes are probably good enough to try out as well - for example, Aeromancer was released until the definitions tightened up and it got punted back into Beta for lack of City and Road events. :)

But like I implied, if you're fine with the top 3 base GH classes as-written, none of these look like they will break your game any more than those.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Guy A. Person posted:

What's the general consensus on balance for these various custom classes?

We have a player in our main TTS game starting the Aeromancer and it seems mostly okay outside of a few big abilities (that level 9 that lets everyone fly and also chooses targets for ranged attacks seemed way too powerful) but at the same time I feel like the designer "gilded the lily" a bit on some of the actions.

Custom class design has become very tight over the past year especially, most homebrew classes tend to undershoot until they're pulled upward!

There is definitely an aversion to abilities that are perceived to be "too simple" though, so there's always a tug-of-war with that kind of design.

If you've solved Envelope X, the Custom Content Discord is always thirsty for fresh eyes, and I spend a lot of time on it getting people rigged up on to TTS these days.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I'm in Australia, my jaws preorder just shipped. :toot:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Emalde posted:

Out of the community "endorsed" ones:

Rootwhisperer allows for a lot of satisfying territory control and is pretty easy to pick up and toy with, definitely recommend.

Brewmaster is a unique and effective tank but disjointed and comes with a lot of per-turn overhead with the stagger/provoke, if you have players that enjoy a bit of work this is a fine class and has a lot of interesting interplay with its unique items/persistent effects.

Frostborn is sort of the other side of "per-turn overhead" with a lot of per-enemy condition tracking that TTS doesn't help much with but is more of a DPS/control hybrid. When played well is very effective at shutting down targets and really making you feel like you're just pressing faces into the dirt.

Brightspark is an entire class that basically incorporates a bunch of cards that would be representative of other entire classes but distilled down to singular cards. Extremely versatile and easy to play, highly recommend.

Amber Aegis is a very complicated tank/control character that feels awesome when played well but can crash and burn pretty easily if you aren't very good at parsing enemy AI. One of my personal favorites, but an intimidating skill ceiling for sure.

As for other customs:

Savvas Hollowpact is under frequent design flux but is a very satisfying hit-and-run skirmisher with some Cragheart influence to create some other interesting build paths.

Orchid Chieftain is by the Brightspark guy and is another easy to grasp class that's a different spin on Summoner. Lots of strong and interesting combat effects, takes a lot of the pressure out of the hope-and-pray nature of Summoner on some turns.

Quatryl Artificer is an excellent take on a mixed range DPS class with a lot of fun toys to employ. They've recently started working on events and scenarios from the looks of things.

Quatryl Bombard is another from the Brightspark guy, interesting huge-range DPS class or tank hybrid. Seems to be in design flux right now but absolutely worth checking out.

Savvas Aeromancer is a really silly DPS/support hybrid with a ton of goofy ways to just completely shut out enemies. I don't know that I'd say it's well balanced, but it tends to be a riot and is easy to play!

Human Curseborn is a really neat experimental multi-purpose character that... honestly takes a lot of work to get the most out of. The entire character plays like a puzzle from turn to turn and I'm still not sure if I appreciate it or not, but is worth a look I think.

Thank you for this post!

Also Lightning Bolts is my 2nd favorite class after Angry Face. I had so much fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
We have just finished our latest Scenario (we went back to the main story and completed Scenario 6) and, since I'm going to be away for a couple of days, we are voting on a veritable cornucopia of items:
- Level up (lvl5) for our Spellweaver;
- Level up (lvl 6) AND extra perk for our Two Minis;
- City Event;
- Road Event;
- Next Scenario selection;
- Increase the difficulty of the game cause we are too op;
- And, as always, what to do with our riches!

So come over to the Let's Play Gloomhaven thread and vote! The thread is controlling our Spellweaver during the next Scenario so come and vote to burn all our cards immediately and then lose Reviving Ether wisely, together! As always, remember to check the OP for potential spoilers before venturing forth!