Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hoho`win
Mar 7, 2003

captainOrbital posted:

You're a braver man than I.

Actually, no you're not; I would totally gently caress with that. I'm heading down to Cicero to buy that out from under you

call ME a coward

I'm the coward. I think you should go for it: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/938089720004239/?surface=product_details

Coydog posted:

If you need a midsized touring/adv in that price range why not a vstrom or dr650?

I think it's an 1150, is that midsized these days?

hoho`win fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
not in terms of displacement, but the power it makes is considered midsized these days

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I know it's being used as a term of endearment, but "jap" is a racial slur, and it's a little ADV rider of us to use it for bikes made in Japan.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
"i have full faculties and ability to use context to understand things but i still choose to interpret it uncharitably"

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

mexican is also a slur

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Cakesmith Handyman is in the UK, where "Jap" doesn't have the same connotations it does in the US. Some random guy in the US asks about "my Jap bike" and I'd assume he's a chud, but in the UK it would be perfectly acceptable.

Kind of like how you really don't want to say "fanny pack" in the UK.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

MomJeans420 posted:

Cakesmith Handyman is in the UK, where "Jap" doesn't have the same connotations it does in the US. Some random guy in the US asks about "my Jap bike" and I'd assume he's a chud, but in the UK it would be perfectly acceptable.

I had no idea and had to look this up and...wow that would be something alright.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Razzled posted:

"i have full faculties and ability to use context to understand things but i still choose to interpret it uncharitably"

What? If you don't have the context that MomJeans420 gave use, calling out the use of that word in the right thing to do. gently caress off.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Slimy Hog posted:

What? If you don't have the context that MomJeans420 gave use, calling out the use of that word in the right thing to do. gently caress off.

who the gently caress are you? coydog has been posting a long time in CA and has never shown any kind of "advrider" tendencies, go back to whatever GBS hole you crawled out of

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slimy Hog posted:

suck my M*xican balls

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Razzled posted:

who the gently caress are you? coydog has been posting a long time in CA and has never shown any kind of "advrider" tendencies, go back to whatever GBS hole you crawled out of

Glad to see you're the arbiter of who is allowed to post here.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Another case where JAY DEE EM is good and appropriate.

I was just quoting cakesmith but honestly never gave Jap much thought other than short for Japanese. I don't think I've ever referred to them as "jap bikes" in real life, though.

This has given me something to think about.

Slimy Hog posted:

Glad to see you're the arbiter of who is allowed to post here.

Considering his experience with mailboxes, I'd say he is the arbiter of who can post or not.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Asking people not to use a racial slur *even if they don’t know it’s a slur* is extremely loving reasonable and there’s no reason CA can’t use one of many other terms like JDM.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

japan is a made up name used by America for nihon and as such, is JDM is illegal. only NDM is allowed

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
CA is a slur please use the full Cycle Asylum name in the future.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Japanese, JDM, JP, whatever but not Jap. We’re better than the ADVRider chuds.

I know you guys are trying to prove some weird point but if you have any experience with language in the US you know jap was regularly used as a slur

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Is it ok if I add honorifics to the end of NDM brands?

Suzuki-kun or Honda-hime, for example.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Cool to see a reasonable request caused a piss fit in some posters.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You know what, nope. I'm going outside.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MomJeans420 posted:

This is a lovely excuse. I'm UK too but I still wouldn't use "jap" on here any more than I'd go throwing "oval office" around, because these are international forums and I know how it'd be likely to be received, ie poorly.

In any case, one person has asked if we could please not and that's all it should take. I'm also asking though, could we not. It's not difficult

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

quitting holding onto dumb poo poo has demonstrably improved my life every time. and it costs nothing.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

I will never stop owning ktm/husqvarnas

tikka_zamayid
Dec 2, 2018

There goes the neighborhood....

Mr. Wiggles posted:

As an also 5'6" rider, you'll get used to taller bikes. Just ride. You'll learn to be stable in time.

I have been just not as much as I would like to be. It seems to rain on my time off from work then I am restricted to daytime only until I get my endorsement. This ine is not bad but the GS I sat on I have over 2 inches on each foot but that was on the centerstand the dealer wasnt too keen on me taking off the stand to get a true feel.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

GriszledMelkaba posted:

I will never stop owning ktm/husqvarnas

flagellation is the purest expression of love

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I apologise for triggering that, I'll use "Japanese" instead next time. I won't apologise for looking at 1982 125 superdreams though, they're dorky as hell and I love them.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

i became the coward after you said "no title"

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Again, even with a title $1500 is not a screaming deal for a nonrunning 2006 ducati. Moreover, I owned a 620ie Monster for all of a week before I sold it because it really was not as good as the Ducati name would suggest.

Like it was super pretty and all, but felt like all the torque was just beyond the end of the tach. Just frustrating to ride.

Unless you intend to make it look like this multi:

Also I feel like none of us had any problems not saying a racist term, nor changing our minds. It was just some new faces that showed up with aggro and swearing while the rest of us joked around. :shrug:

Coydog fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Aug 18, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Coydog posted:

Also I feel like none of us had any problems not saying a racist term, nor changing our minds. It was just some new faces that showed up with aggro and swearing while the rest of us joked around. :shrug:
Agreed. Seems like a repeat case of that one goon that was searching for "tranny" to go vigilante about it and waded into AI with hackles raised.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I'll admit to coming in hot, but I won't apologize for what I said.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

Again, even with a title $1500 is not a screaming deal for a nonrunning 2006 ducati. Moreover, I owned a 620ie Monster for all of a week before I sold it because it really was not as good as the Ducati name would suggest.

Like it was super pretty and all, but felt like all the torque was just beyond the end of the tach. Just frustrating to ride.

Ducatis aren't for everyone, but M620 is a really lovely representative of the breed, because it's a sleeved down bigger engine with honking huge valves and other leftover 800 things (for $$$ reasons) that rob bottom end torque, plus the monster chassis is pretty clearly intended for a slow revving, torque rich engine and doesn't really feel right with a peaky small motor; the M400 is outright unpleasant for that reason.

Also having a slow italian weep because $1500 over here will get you a ducati shirt and maybe some flip-flops and they certainly wouldn't be roadworthy. $3500 is basically the floor for anything with a ducati badge regardless of how fossilised it is.

Slimy Hog posted:

I'll admit to coming in hot, but I won't apologize for what I said.

You had better buck up your ideas and start getting outraged about stupid bullshit that actually matters, like orange bikes, countersteering and where your feet go on the pegs.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
i saw an el paso era 900ss in the shop and it looked a lot worse in person than in pictures lol

of all the square headlight bikes i think the italian ones were the worst looking

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Slavvy posted:

You had better buck up your ideas and start getting outraged about stupid bullshit that actually matters, like orange bikes, countersteering and where your feet go on the pegs.

At this point I'm the embodiment of the thread title and am researching my first bike but probably won't get anything.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Wait you steamed in here towing that barge of bullshit and you don't even have a bike? Right, time to go back outside.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Wait you steamed in here towing that barge of bullshit and you don't even have a bike? Right, time to go back outside.

If you think "calling out people for defending the use of a racial slur" is a barge of bullshit, then I guess :shrug:

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Slimy Hog posted:

If you think "calling out people for defending the use of a racial slur" is a barge of bullshit, then I guess :shrug:

:greenangel:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Slavvy posted:

Ducatis aren't for everyone, but M620 is a really lovely representative of the breed, because it's a sleeved down bigger engine with honking huge valves and other leftover 800 things (for $$$ reasons) that rob bottom end torque, plus the monster chassis is pretty clearly intended for a slow revving, torque rich engine and doesn't really feel right with a peaky small motor; the M400 is outright unpleasant for that reason.

Also having a slow italian weep because $1500 over here will get you a ducati shirt and maybe some flip-flops and they certainly wouldn't be roadworthy. $3500 is basically the floor for anything with a ducati badge regardless of how fossilised it is.

LOL I paid $2500 for my beautiful 620ie and I really weep for your bike market.

I'm glad you said those things and that the 620 was an outlier. The only reason why I like the Scrambler a lot but never really desire it was due to my 620ie. Just took all the wind out of the Ducati ~experience~ sails for me.

It's especially shocking considering what a wonderful engine the Hawk has, and what a passable engine the SV/VStrom has.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Coydog posted:

I would probably run screaming from a $1500 Multi no matter what shape it was in, the no title thing really throws it into laffo territory though.

I wasn't trying to call anyone out btw, I know there was no ill intent, I just wanted to call attention to it, if people were slurring with intent I'd just hit the report button.

Speaking of:

Slavvy posted:

:mods:

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
Someone still bought, as in paid for with real money, that no-title $1500 Multi.
I got to sit on a Monster 821 once, and I remember it was extremely comfy but at that point my motorcycle experiences were KZ750 and Sportster ‘48.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm probably gonna go check out a lightly used Super Cub on Friday. I might leave with it if I can get the price down a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Revvik posted:

Someone still bought, as in paid for with real money, that no-title $1500 Multi.
I got to sit on a Monster 821 once, and I remember it was extremely comfy but at that point my motorcycle experiences were KZ750 and Sportster ‘48.
People are horrendously stupid with money. Let me tell you about a public salvage auction, where I'm standing next to a motorcycle dealer, and a 25-year-old idiot. We're all interested in Kawasaki Versys 650, it took a spill, but still functional. My limit is 1500, dealer says he can go up to 1800, similar bike is on craigslist for three grand with clean title. Now this is a three-way conversation and a 25-year-old is nodding the entire time, as we discuss pricing. Then the bidding starts, and him and some other clown got it up to $2,800. When you factor taxes and auction fees, it would have been cheaper to buy the bike currently on craigslist. With clean title and no accident damage, that is yet to be addressed.