Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/makimasimp/status/1293068030600081408?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

It's a stretch but it's hilarious to consider so I'm all for it

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

oh man that'd be really amusing twist. Going back to the big splash with all the dogs theres some anomalous looking dogs in that group. One has a bad eye, and 2 are twins, and one has sparkly eyes. DO ANY RIP CHARACTERS MATCH THESE DESCRIPTIONS?!?!

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Denji realized he was resting his head on Makima's chest.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Makima's doges are good boys.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

oh man that'd be really amusing twist. Going back to the big splash with all the dogs theres some anomalous looking dogs in that group. One has a bad eye, and 2 are twins, and one has sparkly eyes. DO ANY RIP CHARACTERS MATCH THESE DESCRIPTIONS?!?!

The one with a 'bad eye' might just be wincing a little since another dog is ramming its head.

As for the general theory, it seems to be starting from "Makima turns people into dogs!" and then desperately trying to map the dogs to someone, anyone, despite them lacking any giveaway markers or behavior. Feels like when people were trying to claim Makima had mind controlled all the civilians who offered Denji blood just because everything that happens in the manga has to be her fault.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The fact that anyone doing anything COULD be her behind it makes her all the more terrifying. People that know of her then cannot completely trust anyone, it's very possible she could turn anyone into a Manchurian candidate.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The fact that anyone doing anything COULD be her behind it makes her all the more terrifying. People that know of her then cannot completely trust anyone, it's very possible she could turn anyone into a Manchurian candidate.

"Could be" and "Is" are very different. As I said earlier, she seems to be blindsided a lot more than the people playing her as the ultimate mastermind usually notice.

Moving past that, though, this chapter did a lot to reinforce Makima's inhumanity.

It's not that she can't feel bad for people. It's not that she's emotionless. It's that she's ...off? Denji's grief isn't a natural state to worked through, but a problem to be solved.

If this is pure evil manipulation, it's boring as hell. But if this is genuine, then it's interesting insight into what Makima is like. Not just that her grieving is shallow (she felt bad about Aki and Angel, but didn't lose any sleep over it.) but that she thinks of that as the normal, healthy way for people to respond to tragedy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
we still don't know what makima has done that is so terrible and terrifying that it would warrant sending the gun devil after her. she's enslaved and murdered some people, but not to any exceptional degree for a devil. i think we've seen reze kill more people than makima.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

we still don't know what makima has done that is so terrible and terrifying that it would warrant sending the gun devil after her. she's enslaved and murdered some people, but not to any exceptional degree for a devil. i think we've seen reze kill more people than makima.

the president implies that she's angling to snuff out the human race's free will entirely. how she actually intends to do so is a mystery, but with enough prep time she could probably gather up enough contracts to accomplish just about anything

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
see i read that as the prez getting all muh freedoms about japan trying to get the upper hand in the gun devil arms race

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/menma911/status/1294117929441562624

HA HA

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Can't really blame her, Fall Guys can uncover misanthropic sides from anyone and make you lose faith in humanity as a whole easily

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
There were people above Makima who control everything since we saw her reporting to them/talking about them in the katana arc onwards. She also mentions something about how real necessary evils, referring to herself I'm assuming, are owned and controlled by the state before she handed that yakuza boss a bag full of eyeballs. But then again, there was a recent panel of Makima seated behind her superior's desk while she monologued to herself so maybe she eliminated everyone prior to the assassin arc

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

It also kinda explains the dogs. Dogs are pretty eager to please and thus easy to control.

I've found the person who's never taken care of a Husky, let alone multiple Huskies.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

grassy gnoll posted:

I've found the person who's never taken care of a Husky, let alone multiple Huskies.

One of my dogs is a half-husky and she's pretty much the complete opposite of "eager to please"; she follows you around yelling at you until you pet her. She's probably the smartest dog I've ever had in general.

The other dog, a mutt, is completely cowed by her even though he weighs like 40 pounds more and is basically a mass of rippling muscle.

vvv It's a very apt description. Probably the most accurate term to use for it would be "bitching." Just making sure that you know she is not pleased with the fact that you aren't paying attention to her and is going to follow you around wailing about it until you do.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Aug 17, 2020

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ytlaya posted:

One of my dogs is a half-husky and she's pretty much the complete opposite of "eager to please"; she follows you around yelling at you until you pet her. She's probably the smartest dog I've ever had in general.

The other dog, a mutt, is completely cowed by her even though he weighs like 40 pounds more and is basically a mass of rippling muscle.

I'm glad to hear other people refer to dogs as 'yelling'.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

grassy gnoll posted:

Pretty much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i82528KGDdo

Froggycleric
May 11, 2013

Don't sully his love with imagined reasons.
God i wish my husky wanted to just sleep in the tub instead of going on walks, 3 miles gets me 10 minutes of her napping then we need to go again.

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

I read fire punch and fire punch is better than chain saw man.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Pewdiepie posted:

I'm waiting for Chainsaw Man to finish before I definitively say which is better but man

Fire Punch is real fuckin good

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

Pewdiepie posted:

:yeah:

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

But chain saw man is real cool too

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
firepunch had too much sister loving for my preferences but I can imagine for some, that may be a plus.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Acerbatus posted:

firepunch had too much sister loving for my preferences but I can imagine for some, that may be a plus.

Yeah that's a major negative but the rest of it is fantastic imo. I know this is gunna sound super pretentious but it comes off as a great deconstruction of Shonen as a genre. Starts with a fairly typical setup: Shonen protag with literal burning passion, evil empire, big bad witch to defeat to save the day, and a variety of unique superpowers for villains of the week. Then the superpowers are completely utilitarian and often used as slaves, except for the exact power the protagonist has which like five other people have, completely undermining the unique power thing. Turns out there is no witch, life just sucks, there's nobody you can fire punch to solve the world's problems. The fake witch has a completely ridiculous motivation. The empire falls like a quarter of the way through, and doing so kills thousands (if not millions) of innocent people. The protag's burning passion is entirely a negative, and does nothing but hurts or kills everyone precious to him. The Shonen-style YOU MUSTN'T DIE, KEEP FIGHTING is the source of the protag's pain, and are words that constantly torture him. You could probably argue that the weird sister poo poo is even a part of this, since his relationship with his sister is the source of basically all of his pain and poor decision making. It could easily be read as a criticism of how common brother sister incest has become in anime.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

...except the ending explicitly frames them as, almost literally, star crossed lovers and only sources of true joy in each others lives.

Fire Punch is almost entirely just Fujimoto subverting shonen tropes one after another in rapid succession which is fun but kind of numbing after a while.

also correct me if I'm wrong but did anyone else catch that the super human race left over on Earth, which Judah is one of(?), were implied to be blonde-haired, blue-eyed Aryans???

Gwen fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Aug 19, 2020

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

BFC posted:

...except the ending explicitly frames them as, almost literally, star crossed lovers and only sources of true joy in each others lives.

Fire Punch is almost entirely just Fujimoto subverting shonen tropes one after another in rapid succession which is fun but kind of numbing after a while.

also correct me if I'm wrong but did anyone else catch that the super human race left over on Earth, which Judah is one of(?), were implied to be blonde-haired, blue-eyed Aryans???

lmao I didn't think that hard about the blonde-haired blue-eyed thing but yeah you're right, the ones that seem like the special super race aren't called aryans but... It is a little weird thinking about it!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Aug 22, 2020

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I miss Beam. :smith:

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Best shark boy is indeed sorely missed.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
beam is kinda interesting; he recognizes chainsaw devil and begins worshiping him. We aren't really told what their relationship is but there's obviously more going on in the story than we're led to believe

Simply because we're told all devils fear Chainsaw but why doesn't Beam?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

beam is kinda interesting; he recognizes chainsaw devil and begins worshiping him. We aren't really told what their relationship is but there's obviously more going on in the story than we're led to believe

The devils have mooks obviously and Beam was a top tier mook. Chainsaw man being told by beam about how the chainsaw devil moved around culminating in Denji completely misunderstanding it and riding beam was top tier manga moments of all time.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I figure trying to take him on will only get you killed. Might as well join the winning team by sucking up to the guy.

Alternatively:

Beam, you will be a loyal follower to Denji

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope they end up back in Hell and Beam saves them because he’s supercharged due to a Jaws marathon being on TV.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

i saw the spoiler and made the agniface in real life

Thoren
May 28, 2008
We've lost so many good characters and in Chainsaw Man sometimes they go out with a whisper.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Agniface is the life goal of this author.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I'm... I'm not sure that the future is best.... :smith:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Look just

Uh

Give me more chainsaws, I guess

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Can someone post a link to spoilers I didnt see anything on the reddit or google

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Jerkface posted:

Can someone post a link to spoilers I didnt see anything on the reddit or google

Nobody's done a full translation yet. Just individual panels. Might be best to just wait a bit longer.

Ignorance is bliss.