Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

credburn posted:

Three out of four times it seems when I make a new folder and start putting things in it, Windows 10 defaults to this format:

I generally never need any other columns than file name, size, type, and date modified. How can I tell Windows to stop doing this, even if the only thing in the folder is music? And can I also make a hard-drive-wide sweeping change so every folder changes to this?

Just in case, for clarification: I know I can easily right-click the bar and make these changes, but I don't want to have to do that every time.

Oh I had to do this earlier when my video folder on my NAS always took forever to load

https://www.howtogeek.com/246087/how-to-speed-up-a-windows-folder-that-loads-very-slowly/

E: and you can do it drive-wide, just follow those steps on the root drive (c:) and have it apply to all subfolders.

regulargonzalez fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Thanatosian posted:

I am an old and learned to type/use a mouse in the era before ergonomics was a thing; I get a ton of pain after awhile of using a mouse pad with no wrist rest, as my natural position is to rest my wrist on the table.

SIHappiness
Apr 26, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

I am an old and learned to type/use a mouse in the era before ergonomics was a thing; I get a ton of pain after awhile of using a mouse pad with no wrist rest, as my natural position is to rest my wrist on the table.

Vertical mice are fantastic at fixing this, and seriously helped alleviate my wrist pain. It's the same basic idea, just that your hand is in a permanent "handshake" position; I found it much easier to adjust to than some of the other ergo mice solutions.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

regulargonzalez posted:

Oh I had to do this earlier when my video folder on my NAS always took forever to load

https://www.howtogeek.com/246087/how-to-speed-up-a-windows-folder-that-loads-very-slowly/

E: and you can do it drive-wide, just follow those steps on the root drive (c:) and have it apply to all subfolders.

Awesome! I can't seem to do it on my C: drive... (the customize tab is not there, though it is on my other hard drives) but I could do it to all the subfolders by selecting them all. Thanks. I didn't think that as an added bonus my stuff might load faster now, too.

Hey, I have another question!
EDIT: No I don't, I'm dumb, the answer was right in front of me all along.

credburn fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 18, 2020

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I have a guess, which is that the person on top (hehe) has more background noise, or a shittier mic that pics up more background noise. That's why it never relaxes down to a skinny line.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

dokmo posted:

Can an excavator rotate more than 360 degrees?

You mean can it just keep spinning around without returning to center? Yeah. They're aren't hoses that need to untwist or anything (look for "rotary union" if you're interested in how it works)

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

dokmo posted:

Can an excavator rotate more than 360 degrees?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA2TSZYSjV8

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

My couch set won't arrive for another month. What are some good seating options for the living room, short of stacking up on blankets and living like squatters?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Chairs. Kitchen chairs if you already have them, or cheap lawn chairs for something more comfy (that you can also use for their intended purpose after the couch comes).

Or you can just learn to sit on the floor, I appreciate a good couch but floor sitting isn't that bad. We did it for a whole month recently after shipping our couch away in a pod.

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Is there a good way to sit on the floor without getting back pain at some point? I always experience that and it's annoying as it then lasts for like a day or two with an uncomfortable around the sacral bone.
Is that something you can train?

Carillon
May 9, 2014

For me sitting on the floor in most cases leads to my butt/legs falling asleep. I guess it's different if you're at home and can move around, but this was always in the context of a bunch of people all on the floor at once so you're constrained by how much you can wriggle.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My car got bumped in the parking garage at work. Broken taillight and a scuffed bumper. I've heard that body shops will report all damage as just a generic "this vehicle has been in a collision" regardless of the extent. Is that at all accurate?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

hooah posted:

My car got bumped in the parking garage at work. Broken taillight and a scuffed bumper. I've heard that body shops will report all damage as just a generic "this vehicle has been in a collision" regardless of the extent. Is that at all accurate?

Report it to whom? If you mean your insurance company, there will definitely be more detail than that. The total dollar amount, if nothing else.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Every time I wake my pc from sleep mode, its unusable for a few minutes.
I suspect it has something to do with C: being pegged at 100% here. How can I fix it?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Powered Descent posted:

Report it to whom? If you mean your insurance company, there will definitely be more detail than that. The total dollar amount, if nothing else.

Oh, yeah, should've specified. To CarFax, which would then presumably have an adverse effect on resale value.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Polio Vax Scene posted:

Every time I wake my pc from sleep mode, its unusable for a few minutes.
I suspect it has something to do with C: being pegged at 100% here. How can I fix it?

Look at the processes tab when it happens and sort by disk usage.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Is there a way to get past wsj.com's new paywall?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Jewel Repetition posted:

Never mind.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm getting old and part of that is completely crashing around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I get so tired, like full on sleepy. Taking a walk helps for around half an hour, then it's back to sleepytown.

Anyone got any hot tips to avoid this? Caffeine doesn't seem to help and google just tried to sell me poo poo when I look for answers there.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Get tested for sleep apnea.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

ultrafilter posted:

Get tested for sleep apnea.

Is sleep apnea noticable if someone were watching? My wife says I sleep like a baby, no snoring at all.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm getting old and part of that is completely crashing around 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I get so tired, like full on sleepy. Taking a walk helps for around half an hour, then it's back to sleepytown.

Anyone got any hot tips to avoid this? Caffeine doesn't seem to help and google just tried to sell me poo poo when I look for answers there.

How much sleep do you get on an average night? More sleep at night (going to bed earlier) can help with feeling tired mid day. If you are getting a good amount, is it solid sleep, or do you wake up often? I found I have sleep apnea and getting a CPAP really helped me both stay asleep and not feel tired.

ED: Yeah, sleep apnea is usually going to be something that someone living with you would notice.

Do you eat a big lunch typically? Eating a big meal at lunch can bring on lethargy and make you feel groggy.

Are you at work or at home?

If you are at work, walking around, taking a few laps around the building/floor can help a little bit. Take a smoke break outside, even if you don't smoke.

If you are at home, you might be getting bored/distracted. I know that if I zone out in my office at home, I'll fall asleep in my chair sometimes. Do something to keep yourself occupied.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

CzarChasm posted:

How much sleep do you get on an average night? More sleep at night (going to bed earlier) can help with feeling tired mid day. If you are getting a good amount, is it solid sleep, or do you wake up often? I found I have sleep apnea and getting a CPAP really helped me both stay asleep and not feel tired.

ED: Yeah, sleep apnea is usually going to be something that someone living with you would notice.

Do you eat a big lunch typically? Eating a big meal at lunch can bring on lethargy and make you feel groggy.

Are you at work or at home?

If you are at work, walking around, taking a few laps around the building/floor can help a little bit. Take a smoke break outside, even if you don't smoke.

If you are at home, you might be getting bored/distracted. I know that if I zone out in my office at home, I'll fall asleep in my chair sometimes. Do something to keep yourself occupied.

Thanks! Yeah I am huge glutton and lunch is my biggest meal by far, maybe I need to dial that back a little. I'm hoping that's it. I'll do a little more walking during the day too.

I'd like to get more sleep, but I literally can't. I get seven hours and that's that. If I go to bed at nine, I wake up at four and can't fall back asleep. If I stay up till one in the morning, I'm up at eight.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Are there any mice that keep the outside of your wrist off the desk?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

Are you drinking enough water?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey gang, I'm producing an audio drama based on the Dungeons and Dragons setting, Dark Sun. Specifically the old CRPG. The game has these big frog dudes called daggorans. I can't find anywhere a place where this is spoken aloud or its pronunciation discussed. So I guess I'd like some opinions from you fine educated folk how it might be said. I was sort of pronouncing it almost like "DAG-er-ahns."

credburn fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Aug 21, 2020

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Jewel Repetition posted:

Besides VPNs? Or browser extensions like Bypass Paywalls or Paywall Smasher?

If you copy and paste the link to your Twitter or Instagram account, you should be able to click on and read the article.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Is it safe to soak a plastic faucet in vinegar to clean out the mineral water build up?

Also, once you've washed something with bleach, how long must you wait before you can use vinegar to clean it?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Bioshuffle posted:

Is it safe to soak a plastic faucet in vinegar to clean out the mineral water build up?

Also, once you've washed something with bleach, how long must you wait before you can use vinegar to clean it?

I clean my plastic shower heads with vinegar all the time.

You should rinse anything cleaned with bleach until you can't smell bleach anymore.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Most every plastic is fine with vinegar if it’s not heated, extremely concentrated, or in contact for long periods of time.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Bleach though may ruin some chrome or nickel finishes on plastics. So be sure not to leave that on to long.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018
what's the cheapest way to get a low-end smart phone? I basically just want one to play podcasts and take pictures and that's it. I don't want to have any service with it

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Its Coke posted:

what's the cheapest way to get a low-end smart phone? I basically just want one to play podcasts and take pictures and that's it. I don't want to have any service with it

My local supermarket has a bunch of low end smartphones for considerably less than $100 Australian, I assume Walmart (if you're American) does the same.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Its Coke posted:

i would say swappa or ebay, and that a deece but older phone is a better bet and probably less money than a lovely new one

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Why won't there ever be peace in the middle east?

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Manager Hoyden posted:

Do you eat a big lunch? I like to eat but I don't like to eat because it makes me want to stop, rest, and digest.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

excellent bird guy posted:

Why won't there ever be peace in the middle east?

Imperialist powers divided the region along borders of convenience or their own interests without consideration of the well-being or interests of the people that lived there. Additionally their best interests lie contrary to those of western capital, which means that they will continue to be exploited until it gets too hot for humans to live there anymore, at which point they will mostly be killed along the borders of closed nations. I suppose after that happens the middle east will find peace of a sort.

Classon Ave. Robot fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 22, 2020

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
They make a desert and call it peace.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
This whole "unwritten rules" thing in Baseball this week... is that sport really that dumb? You're supposed to just let the pitcher get away with poo poo that is basically tanking your own side because if you don't he might throw an enormous hissyfit and assault you with the ball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Imperialist powers divided the region along borders of convenience or their own interests without consideration of the well-being or interests of the people that lived there. Additionally their best interests lie contrary to those of western capital, which means that they will continue to be exploited until it gets too hot for humans to live there anymore, at which point they will mostly be killed along the borders of closed nations. I suppose after that happens the middle east will find peace of a sort.

This and also the groups involved have internalized competing narratives (largely thanks to the imperialist meddling previously mentioned) so everybody has a different definition of what "peace" would look like.