Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Zugzwang posted:

Uh yes, and we're not the only ones. Marc Lipsitch, a prominent infectious disease epidemiologist at Harvard, posted a bunch of irritated tweets about Feigl-Ding a few months ago and then deleted them because people told him they were mean, lol. Feigl-Ding loves to say that he's "At Harvard," which isn't strictly false, but he's only got a temporary appointment as a Visiting Scientist that (if memory serves) might not even be paid, so it's not like he's a professor there or a permanent researcher or anything.

More importantly, he's a nutritional epidemiologist, not an infectious disease one, which isn't a small distinction given the situation, so you don't need to scratch your head to figure out why a lot of actual experts criticize him as being prone to error. His error-proneness re: disease is unfortunate given that he's now a major voice about the pandemic.

Here's a good article about him: https://www.chronicle.com/article/this-harvard-epidemiologist-is-very-popular-on-twitter-but-does-he-know-what-hes-talking-about/
That article describes him as being a good faith average person who can get a bit overexcited but knows how to communicate in a way that grabs the other average person's attention.

His mistakes appear to lie way in the past, and were mistakes made by people here too, and unlike most twitter people, he actually deletes his mistakes. It doesn't help when the one detractor cited in the story is a liar too.

Honestly, it sounds more you're just rubbed by his tone.

I'd be interested in an analysis of mistakes he made in the past 4 months.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Aug 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I need to know what it sounds like

I need it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Splicer posted:

I need it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kl2cTNMNlSc

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Sanctum posted:

The virus reveals a lot about how grossly selfish people are both as individuals and acting as organizations. "Oh you might be exposed? Well as long as you're not symptomatic come on in! We're willing to risk you spreading the virus as long as there's no positive test that could make us liable."

America really needs an organization with some teeth to sue businesses pulling poo poo like this, a CDC + OSHA hybrid regulatory agency maybe?

Sadly it will take violent action on the order of deliberate infection of officials to force officials to re-empower those regulatory bodies you mentioned.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

local AYSO region decided to have a season in spite of the fact that signup numbers are lower than they generally are in spring, and those are about half the numbers of the fall season. talking about combining divisions because they numbers are so low- great idea, let's play 10 year olds against 3 feet taller 14 year olds!

schools, colleges, pro sports- all the openings have been clusterfucks, high school sports aren't authorized and we can't even play games under the guidelines but...what? the same assholes on the executive board making this decision are the ones i was texting with back in March that were telling me Covid was a scam/hoax and literally laughed when i said if we didn't do anything the US would lose 200,000 people

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

boar guy posted:

local AYSO region decided to have a season in spite of the fact that signup numbers are lower than they generally are in spring, and those are about half the numbers of the fall season. talking about combining divisions because they numbers are so low- great idea, let's play 10 year olds against 3 feet taller 14 year olds!

schools, colleges, pro sports- all the openings have been clusterfucks, high school sports aren't authorized and we can't even play games under the guidelines but...what? the same assholes on the executive board making this decision are the ones i was texting with back in March that were telling me Covid was a scam/hoax and literally laughed when i said if we didn't do anything the US would lose 200,000 people

YAYSOPOS

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

even the VIP/special needs program, hahah

good luck enforcing 6 feet of distance between disabled kids that literally need a buddy on the field with them at all times

and good luck getting the kids, the vast majority of which have sensory issues, to wear masks

literally impossible to play under the state guidelines but gently caress it, we're doing it anyway

boar guy fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 20, 2020

Goreld
May 8, 2002

"Identity Crisis" MurdererWild Guess Bizarro #1Bizarro"Me am first one I suspect!"

Splicer posted:

I need it

Something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtqS0FH5ZSM

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

suuma posted:

It's ok, he's said he's sorry and that he's a man of faith.

Why does EVERYONE say that? Like, it's obviously who you are or you wouldn't have said that. And they get away with it. Like, the n-word isn't even in my vocabulary. If someone gets caught saying that, then that's who they are. That is a word they use and they just happened to have someone else hear it. Imagine how much they say that when they aren't in a position of accidentally getting heard.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Jeza posted:

Does anybody else find Dr. Eric Feigl-Ding's tweets kind of irritating? They get posted by the boatload in here but tonally he posts in a really...influencer-y fashion.

Don't get me wrong, maybe he's a good info source and definitely on the right side. But it's like he sees this pandemic as an ultimate self-aggrandising moment. Like he's trying to wangle this into some personal gain, and it really rubs me the wrong way. I wasn't surprised to find that he had recently run for political office.

Yes.

I have no idea who he is and I've seen a few of his tweets in here but it makes him seem unprofessional and I am inclined to not trust people like that.

edit:

Zugzwang posted:

Uh yes, and we're not the only ones. Marc Lipsitch, a prominent infectious disease epidemiologist at Harvard, posted a bunch of irritated tweets about Feigl-Ding a few months ago and then deleted them because people told him they were mean, lol. Feigl-Ding loves to say that he's "At Harvard," which isn't strictly false, but he's only got a temporary appointment as a Visiting Scientist that (if memory serves) might not even be paid, so it's not like he's a professor there or a permanent researcher or anything.

More importantly, he's a nutritional epidemiologist, not an infectious disease one, which isn't a small distinction given the situation, so you don't need to scratch your head to figure out why a lot of actual experts criticize him as being prone to error. His error-proneness re: disease is unfortunate given that he's now a major voice about the pandemic.

Here's a good article about him: https://www.chronicle.com/article/this-harvard-epidemiologist-is-very-popular-on-twitter-but-does-he-know-what-hes-talking-about/

Oh, well that solves that.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Aug 20, 2020

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

people who are "men of faith" and use "fag" casually seem to be an ovelapping venn diagram

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Splicer posted:

I need it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtXaRE1Jz2M&t=8s

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Why does EVERYONE say that? Like, it's obviously who you are or you wouldn't have said that. And they get away with it. Like, the n-word isn't even in my vocabulary. If someone gets caught saying that, then that's who they are. That is a word they use and they just happened to have someone else hear it. Imagine how much they say that when they aren't in a position of accidentally getting heard.

i'm a man of faith, i'm telling you i believe the right things so get off my back. no stop looking at my actions, no st

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

JonathonSpectre posted:

Well I just got back from setting up my classroom for full in-person teaching starting 31 August.

My room is about 30'x25' in total. With my desk and podium the only things in the entire room besides student seating, I can fit 33 desks in with ~3 feet of space side to side but only about 6" of space front to back. There's literally no way to get this many desks in this room and have even the faintest modicum of social distancing.

I have rosters currently with 35 students per class in them. I literally don't even have 35 desks. We were informed a couple of days ago we cannot prop our doors open during class due to fire codes. So I'm looking at sitting in an enclosed 30'x25' room with 30+ other people for 100 minutes at a time, 3 times a day, then 45 minutes at a time once a day. Nurgle himself couldn't come up with a better plague-spreading system.

I am so pissed off about this right now. :argh: Andrew Johnson! :argh:

All of you need to go on strike. I know that's easy for me to say, but you have to do it. These fuckers want you to risk death for their stock portfolio. Fight back. Tell them to go gently caress themselves.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

John_A_Tallon posted:

Sadly it will take violent action on the order of deliberate infection of officials to force officials to re-empower those regulatory bodies you mentioned.

i read this and instantly my broken brain started spitting out, "Your appointment to FEMA will be finalized within the week."

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
My wife thought she had covid but it turned out to just be her period.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

They always omit the WHY of it not being them. If it’s language they only use in the studio because that’s the culture there or whatever, it starts being an actual actionable thing they need to fix if they’re actually interested in apologizing. Instead they name drop religion hoping to prime the audience with that sweet, sweet unconditional forgiveness where they don’t need to change or even feel bad for any part of it except getting caught.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Religion is a pretty drat poor defense since a lot of the horrible beliefs in this country come from the super religious.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Religion is a pretty drat poor defense since a lot of the horrible beliefs in this country come from the super religious.

treat others as you would wish to be treated yourself / the worth of a society is shown in how it treats its most vulnerable

there's not a lot of reasons to make it more complicated than that IMHO

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

suuma posted:

It's ok, he's said he's sorry and that he's a man of faith.

If you have to loudly declare that you are a man of faith and that you are not a homophobe chances are neither are true.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Example no. 42069 of why the number keeps going up: People going to gyms with no safety precautions

quote:

So, since June, I’ve gone and done my thing. The gym environment itself, it’s no masks. There’s definitely sanitizer, but I’d say no crazy steps, like temperature checks. There’s hand sanitizer, but that’s self-administered. There’s not a ton of oversight.

A few people try to be respectful of other people social distancing. It’s a small gym, though, so people get stacked on top of one another. It’s really bizarre, honestly. Obviously, a lot of high contact with dumbbells not really necessarily being wiped down. And like I said, of all the people, two of them might be wearing masks, but in general, it’s no masks.

I don’t wear a mask either. Honestly, if it were enforced, I would. It’s just something I never put much thought into. It’s not something I’m unwilling to do—it’s just a matter of going with kind of the norm of what’s happening more than anything else, I would say.

It’s felt increasingly less safe as time’s going on, as the gym has had more and more people in there. I feel like it’s really dropped off the focus on safety that was there at the beginning, where I felt super comfortable. I still go, just not as frequently. Instead of going seven times a week, I’m maybe going four times a week, at times I know that are low-traffic.

quote:

So that’s the hardest part about me going back to the gym: knowing that, since I do work with the public, that’s another potential risk to my customers. I’m highly cognizant of the fact that it’s not the smartest decision to make. It’s something to me that is important enough, where I feel like there’s a low probability of contraction just through that one activity.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Is there actually money being made in the Trump Reply Guy grift? That Eugene Gu guy is the one who immediately springs to mind. I just inherently mistrust anyone who has been replying every tweet Trump makes.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

gently caress that guy who's like "Yeah I might get some customers sick, but I really like going to the gym!!!"

You know what I like doing? A whole lot of poo poo that I'm not doing right now because I don't want to get anybody else sick. I'd loving love to be eating at a Chinese buffet right now and then riding a bunch of roller coasters, but I'm not. Why is this so hard for people?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I really would not want to ride a roller coaster after eating Chinese buffet.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Animal-Mother posted:

All of you need to go on strike. I know that's easy for me to say, but you have to do it. These fuckers want you to risk death for their stock portfolio. Fight back. Tell them to go gently caress themselves.

Yeah, I'm uncertain what to do at the moment. I'm in Florida, so we cannot legally strike. I don't really want to quit and I REALLY want to be teaching again, the last 5 months have been awful.

But every single person I've talked to at every single school over the past two weeks (we're talking 25+ people) all have the look of the soldiers in the later charges at Fredericksburg. "We're going to do loving WHAT?"

No one believes this is possible, no one believes it can actually happen, we are all just looking at each other and going, "Welp, hope I survive till enough die we shut down." Literally everyone. There's not one person, not one, who is confident or at all the least bit optimistic that any of this poo poo is going to make any difference whatsoever. I'm sorry for yelling here but:

FLORIDA IS NOT IMMUNE TO MATH. NO ONE IS. ALL THE loving VIRUS IS IS MATH. MATH IS A THING. YOU CANNOT JUST IGNORE IT.

I've got my face shield and my mask ready to go but man. It is so insane to see all these superintendents across the country looking at all the data in the loving world that says this is impossible and everywhere it's been tried has become a plague outbreak and go, "Hmmm... well, that won't happen HERE!"

We are an utterly failed state, American and Florida. Especially Florida. My greeting to teachers I haven't seen over the summer in the hallway is, "Welcome to the great experiment in mortality!"

Currently masks are still just "recommended" when in-person school starts because "we want to allow students freedom." I've literally had students pulled out of my loving class and made to walk out in the hall so some Nazi could measure the length of their shorts. I've had kids SENT HOME for wearing spaghetti straps under a shawl. (Psssst I say kids but I mean girls because they are the dress code's targets). But when it comes to a medical device that could literally keep people from dying? Well, that's your choice!

So you can have a kid in the front row mouth-breathing as hard as they can and you cannot even ASK them to put on a mask. Just... just gently caress all this, turn out the lights, set everything on fire, and let's dance in the flames because all this poo poo is gonna burn.

This poo poo would be so hilarious if it wasn't so awful. Just a bunch of loving too-clever monkeys making every possible bad decision while the virus just spreads and spreads.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

You guys ought to just go full hazmat. Every teacher in a bright yellow cleansuit with full-hood respirators.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Manager Hoyden posted:

You guys ought to just go full hazmat. Every teacher in a bright yellow cleansuit with full-hood respirators.

Is there a charity buying PAPRs for teachers?

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Manager Hoyden posted:

AFAIK they are not even providing masks. Every classroom is getting a "COVID kit" with hand sanitizer and clorox wipes in it. Those will be gone by the end of the first day and after that?

A student who tests positive does not need to inform anyone unless they have been in face-to-face distance contact for more than 15 minutes. That means that if a student sitting in the back of my room tests positive for COVID, no one in the classroom will be informed as those criteria are not met. So 36 people sitting in a 25'x30' closed room for 100 minutes basically cannot generate a COVID quarantine notice unless at some point in the class that student did that face-to-face thing for 15 minutes. So no one is going to get notified.

I'll take, "How do you hide the numbers" for 180,000+, Alex.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Guy Axlerod posted:

Is there a charity buying PAPRs for teachers?

There really should be. The optics of an entire schools staff looking like the cast of Outbreak out doing dropoff duty would be pretty powerful.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Chomp8645 posted:

I really would not want to ride a roller coaster after eating Chinese buffet.

For real. No roller coasters after any buffet, really. What is that guy thinking?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

DemoneeHo posted:

Example no. 42069 of why the number keeps going up: People going to gyms with no safety precautions

I'm so glad my gym is sane

They were planning to reopen indoors (with masks required), and when the state realized it was a horrible idea, they ended up setting up an outdoor area, with spaced out equipment and an online reservation system to control the number of people who can be there at once. Masks are still required out there, and I'll be honestly, working out in a mask when its 100 out sucks, but not as much as coronavirus.

They also have spray bottles with soap solution they give to everyone when they come in to wipe down their equipment when they're done. Plus between the reservations times, they build in 10 minute time to give things a further clean with soap. Oh and temperature screenings before you're allowed to enter, but I'm not sure how much that helps since you can be infectious without a fever.

The Glumslinger fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 20, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

other people posted:

For real. No roller coasters after any buffet, really. What is that guy thinking?

He wants splash mountain but doesn't live near Disneyland?

:shrug:

yook
Mar 11, 2001

Sucks right now because I’m doing work that involves being on site to check/restart on a machine every 3 hours and we have an on-site gym I could be using to fit in another cycle. I don’t know about doing anything like that indoors until they actually confirm transmission is droplet-only since evidence has been building for aerosol transmission but it hasn’t actually been verified as a likely way people are getting it.

It has lit a fire under my rear end to get remote log in and automation figured out, which is something we probably should have done a while ago but didn’t have a pressing need for yet.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

food court bailiff posted:

i read this and instantly my broken brain started spitting out, "Your appointment to FEMA will be finalized within the week."

I loved that video game.

JonathonSpectre posted:

Yeah, I'm uncertain what to do at the moment. I'm in Florida, so we cannot legally strike.

That's a bad law and you should break it.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Consider establishing a workers dictatorship imo

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

https://i.imgur.com/Vnz88hs.mp4

yook
Mar 11, 2001

https://www.wsj.com/articles/troubled-covid-19-data-system-returning-to-cdc-11597945770
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/troubled-covid-19-data-system-returning-to-cdc-11597945770
(Both links to the same story, but one paywalls me and the other doesn’t for some reason)

CDC will be getting the COVID data reporting again, HHS data chief abruptly resigns to “spend time with their children”.

Doesn’t give a date, though I suspect it’ll be marked by an abrupt change in slope on the curve like the HHS reporting changeover was.

Edit: or not apparently?

https://www.10tv.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/covid-19-cdc-data-collection/507-0bc1a893-8865-476a-956b-a44b52d66a5c

yook fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Aug 21, 2020

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

other people posted:

My wife thought she had covid but it turned out to just be her period.

I had a cough from the beginning of March (when my husband took a trip to NYC) until last month, no idea what it was but it wasn't covid.

John_A_Tallon posted:

That's a bad law and you should break it.

Teachers can't strike in Nebraska either. Their union is supposedly not really a union but an "association" (??)

Pyrtanis
Jun 30, 2007

The ghosts of our glories are gray-bearded guides
Fun Shoe
LA Fitness tried to keep charging me despite the fact they were closed so I talked to my credit union and got them blocked from taking any more money, and wrote their email with a cancellation request. I'm not sending you some first class mail thing, chew this rear end

Day after next billing cycle they emailed me to let me know my account was cancelled. :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Pyrtanis posted:

LA Fitness tried to keep charging me despite the fact they were closed so I talked to my credit union and got them blocked from taking any more money, and wrote their email with a cancellation request. I'm not sending you some first class mail thing, chew this rear end

Day after next billing cycle they emailed me to let me know my account was cancelled. :hellyeah:

They might still try to send you to collections for not cancelling Their Way. Gyms are the worst.

On-topic, I had an AmazonFresh delivery last week when they actually had some disinfecting wipes in stock in my area. When I received them, Amazon had apparently been out of stock of the 2x 35ct containers I had ordered, so they upgraded them to the 225ct bundle for free. :toot: