Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/dave_schilling/status/1296502666730680325

lmaooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

whitlock and bill simmons are two sides of the same stupid coin

MourningView posted:

$12.00 an hour and mandating that the person live in one of the most expensive places in the country is pretty hosed up.

Meanwhile Simmons has, like, four multi-million dollar houses in the area.

that’s barely livable in my mid-atlantic medium sized city how the gently caress can you survive on that in l.a. while also not being allowed to take on outside work??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Declan MacManus posted:

that’s barely livable in my mid-atlantic medium sized city how the gently caress can you survive on that in l.a. while also not being allowed to take on outside work??

Honestly even being paid for an internship is a rarity

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Boban plays like 10 minutes a game lol.

morestuff posted:

Honestly even being paid for an internship is a rarity

Yeah but unpaid internships are also horseshit. And I mean obviously a lot of people there have to make due on less but that full time salary is also pretty awful if you're forcing them to live in LA, especially if he was actually on the high end.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

AndrewP posted:

I'm assuming Mallory Rubin is management?

She replaced Fennessy as Editor in Chief last year. Which goes back to one of the complaints in the letter, the management team has been quite happy to give itself all sorts of titles, but I think Concepcion is the only employee with "senior" in his title, very definitely could be wrong there though,

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

Yeah but unpaid internships are also horseshit. And I mean obviously a lot of people there have to make due on less but that full time salary is also pretty awful if you're forcing them to live in LA, especially if he was actually on the high end.

Yeah I'm not defending the practice, just pointing out that's depressingly better than average

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Paying junior people like poo poo when you can clearly afford not to is a great way to make talented and relatively cheap employees leave

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Katie Baker is back at the Ringer? I should check them out more often. I've enjoyed her stuff for a solid decade.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Edit: nm, fell for a fake

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

habeasdorkus posted:

Katie Baker is back at the Ringer? I should check them out more often. I've enjoyed her stuff for a solid decade.
As near as I can recall, Katie Bakes never left, i liked the piece she wrote about Phish live-streams a few months back.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

MourningView posted:

It's one of the most insidious forms of elite gatekeeping. The only way to get a job in media/showbiz/politics is to either 1) know somebody, or 2) work a series of minwage or unpaid internships in an eyewateringly-expensive metropolis (NYC, LA, SF, DC), which is something that only people with family resources have the ability to realistically accomplish. As a result, the people working in media/showbiz/politics overwhelmingly come from well-connected and deep-pocketed families (and are collectively about as ethnically diverse as a Klan meeting).

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

MourningView posted:

One of the issues I think a lot of the employees have is that the podcasts are the most visible and profitable part of the company and they are heavily filled by either management or people from outside the company, especially on the most successful shows, and the opportunities for the actual ringer employees to get a spot on them have been fairly limited.

The Rewatchables was supposed to be that but it turned into the Bill Simmons Chris Ryan show.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

MourningView posted:

Boban plays like 10 minutes a game lol.

So did Bill Walton-"gets stabbed mid take"

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

FMguru posted:

It's one of the most insidious forms of elite gatekeeping. The only way to get a job in media/showbiz/politics is to either 1) know somebody, or 2) work a series of minwage or unpaid internships in an eyewateringly-expensive metropolis (NYC, LA, SF, DC), which is something that only people with family resources have the ability to realistically accomplish. As a result, the people working in media/showbiz/politics overwhelmingly come from well-connected and deep-pocketed families (and are collectively about as ethnically diverse as a Klan meeting).

Depends on the media.

It's definitely not the case in small-town radio or newspapers.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

FMguru posted:

if you remember the Bon Appetit video scandal, Alex (who it was being rumored by a few of the PoC writers "made millions a year and was from wealth") came out and said he actually had to go into massive amounts of credit-card debt so he could fit in and "live the BA lifestyle"

(funny enough, one of the people pushing that theory, Priya, came from wealth herself)

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I started at Fox Sports in LA at 13/hour. In 2015. Was very cool to not see a raise when simultaneously Jason Whitlock got hired and was being paid insanely.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/DefectorMedia/status/1297629133191688194

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Athletic put out a real good article about athlete salaries are overpaid or not: https://theathletic.com/2014283/2020/08/24/are-professional-athletes-paid-too-much-the-answer-may-surprise-you/

tl;dr for those without a subscription: They're not, if anything, even the superstars like LeBron are underpaid relative to the revenue they generate. But a big issue at hand that's discussed is parents pushing their kids towards a career in it while neglecting other skills which leaves them screwed when they can't make a big league club.

edit: the best quote:

quote:

So while some fans may bemoan the immense contracts, it’s ultimately fans that generate the money to create those deals – they’re willing to put their cash behind their team loyalties and to see elite talent perform. And some people even pay to watch the Cleveland Browns.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 24, 2020

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Another outlet down.

https://twitter.com/YaronWeitzman/status/1297999882171670531?s=20

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
No joke. I spend a lot of time on sports reporting and reading poo poo. What was bleacher report mag? Did they actually have a physical copy type publication???

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

soggybagel posted:

No joke. I spend a lot of time on sports reporting and reading poo poo. What was bleacher report mag? Did they actually have a physical copy type publication???

It was basically their long-form section. If you've read any stuff by Howard Beck or Jonathan Abrams on BR it was probably produced by the Mag section

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

seiferguy posted:

The Athletic put out a real good article about athlete salaries are overpaid or not: https://theathletic.com/2014283/2020/08/24/are-professional-athletes-paid-too-much-the-answer-may-surprise-you/

tl;dr for those without a subscription: They're not, if anything, even the superstars like LeBron are underpaid relative to the revenue they generate. But a big issue at hand that's discussed is parents pushing their kids towards a career in it while neglecting other skills which leaves them screwed when they can't make a big league club.

edit: the best quote:

I don’t have a subscription, but I wonder if they talk about any growth in companies buying up tickets instead of the regular fan. Ticket costs are going up well past inflation, and it’s definitely getting to the point where families can’t afford to go to a game that often, even the cheap seats are expensive. Teams have really shifted their focus to getting corporate money, either through skyboxes or just super expensive premier seats.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

I don’t have a subscription, but I wonder if they talk about any growth in companies buying up tickets instead of the regular fan. Ticket costs are going up well past inflation, and it’s definitely getting to the point where families can’t afford to go to a game that often, even the cheap seats are expensive. Teams have really shifted their focus to getting corporate money, either through skyboxes or just super expensive premier seats.

They do touch on that

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

howe_sam posted:

If you want to know who the cool people at the Ringer are, here you go.

https://twitter.com/RingerUnion/status/1296491944659554304

That’s a good union

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Bird in a Blender posted:

Yeah, there's a small bit on that:

quote:

Even non-stars in the major leagues average millions of dollars in annual salary, and rookies and benchwarmers are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, all per collective bargaining agreements between player unions and team owners/leagues. And their salary information is readily available for public and media consumption, more so than private-sector corporate compensation for CEOs and executives. Fan irritation at what they believe to be bloated player salaries is particularly acute when players fail to live up to the hype, and when expensive payrolls fail to win — an inherent risk in sports.

Meanwhile, the federal minimum wage for nonexempt employees is $7.25 per hour. That’s $290 for a 40-hour workweek and $15,080 for a year. In 2018, the average U.S. median income was $63,179, according to the most recent federal data.

Additionally, the cost for a family to attend a single live game in the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL has ballooned into hundreds of dollars that put them beyond reach of many. Stadiums and arenas increasingly cater to more affluent fans (and companies) with pricey suites, club seats and private gathering spaces.

These stark contrasts between the working/middle classes and modern-era Gilded Age professional sports fuel the complaint about overpaid athletes, and that grievance is particularly resonant because America right now is having a national conversation about income inequality and other disparities. And it’s a conversation underway amid a pandemic-fueled recession and staggering unemployment, with a federal government that has let additional financial help expire.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

How could this exact thing happen twice in a month

https://twitter.com/sportsradiopd/status/1298021786747990016?s=21

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Nuggets have to change their name to save people with oddly racist text libraries

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

like, okay, fine, whatever, i don’t think he literally meant to type a racial slur, but you’d think this would be happening all the time if it’s that gosh darn autocorrect totally innocent

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Assuming that this is an accident and that he got tripped up by autocorrect or he fat-fingered the keys on his phone, did he have to :justpost: so desperately that he couldn't look down for a second to see what he had typed?

Henchman of Santa posted:

The Nuggets have to change their name to save people with oddly racist text libraries

Mildly related, I'm surprised no one's previously been fired for botching the pronunciation on Knickerbockers.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

GoutPatrol posted:

So did Bill Walton-"gets stabbed mid take"

Bill Walton averaged nearly 30 mpg over his career, Boban averages under 10. Please workshop your joke more or the committee will have to reject it, submit report in triplicate

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Looks like Mays went to the Athletic

https://twitter.com/TheAthleticNFL/status/1298606134333517824?s=20

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Maven has replaced CEO Jim Heckman with Ross Levinsohn. A name you may recognize as former publisher/CEO of the LA Times where he... well...

quote:

Levinsohn was sued in separate sexual harassment lawsuits as an executive at two different corporations. By his own sworn testimony, Levinsohn admitted to rating the relative “hotness” of his female colleagues in office banter as a vice president at a digital media company. He also testified that he speculated about whether a woman who worked for him there was a stripper on the side.

Two witnesses say they were shocked to see Levinsohn aggressively kissing and pressing himself against a woman at a glitzy music industry dinner in plain view of his subordinates and his clients. Levinsohn was married at the time.

Levinsohn once told an executive for the Hollywood Reporter he would not stay at the publication’s lunch honoring the entertainment business’s most influential fashion stylists because he would have to be surrounded by gays — using a vulgar epithet for them, according to the executive.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
This is very cool and good:
https://mobile.twitter.com/natalieweiner/status/1300429088964870144
https://mobile.twitter.com/natalieweiner/status/1300433301447028737

quote:

Publication to Be Named Later is a brand-new cooperative sports quarterly run by your favorite free-agent internet writers, editors and artists. The people working on the first issue are largely composed of former SBNation.com employees, but in time we'd like PTBNL to become a refuge for weird, inclusive and wonderful writing of any origin. We hope that you will be as excited about this project as we are.

The theme for our first issue is Resilience, because lord knows we've all had to muster more brave faces than we thought we'd ever need. In this first issue you can expect to read Britni de la Cretaz on girls playing baseball in the farthest reaches of the continent; Richard Johnson on how college football players are still living with their decisions to take a knee; Ryan Nanni on the Tao of Spergon Wynn; Kim McCauley on what USWNT stars risk by having kids; Natalie Weiner on the first Black woman selected to the softball hall of fame; Zito Madu on Maya Moore and the true definition of "resilience"; Spencer Hall on ... something; and much more!

We want to recreate what sites like SBNation.com were at their best; places where DEEP discussions of sports minutiae lived next to soul-shaking essays, exhaustive reporting and speculative fiction. For anyone who understands sports on the internet, the incongruity should make sense. We want to follow the extent of our brains' impulses because we believe you'll enjoy the ride.

To do this properly, we need your help. We'd like to raise $30,000 in the next 30 days. We came up with that number by deciding what we wanted to write and how we wanted the publication to look, then calculating the money we would need to pay everyone fairly. You can contribute by pre-ordering a copy of the first issue for a minimum of $1. The catch is, if we don't hit $30,000 within 30 days, we won't publish at all. The more you give, the more likely we can create what we've envisioned.

PTBNL is being formed with a number of guiding principles, honed from years of watching dudes in UNTUCKit shirts show us what not to do:

Pay everyone fairly. That's why we're doing this all-or-nothing. If we don't hit our minimum goal, that means we can't pay everyone what they're worth, and we shouldn't do the project at all. For far too long, writers, illustrators, copy editors and more have been woefully underpaid. We at PTBNL firmly believe that's a bad thing.
Give everyone a stake and a chance to lead. It's probably nice getting paid like a CEO, but we believe a healthy publication shares the wealth. That's why we've devised a pay model that gives everybody involved in the publication a percentage of revenue. Further, we'll be changing up the masthead for each issue, giving a new group of people a chance to experiment, lead and earn the bulk of profit that comes along with added responsibility.
Don't make diversity an afterthought. Every issue will seek out contributors from a wide range of backgrounds and identities. For too long most sportswriting has been focused through a single lens. We should be using the full spectrum of perspective. We still have a long way to go, but expect to see this effort furthered in every issue.
Be wholly and relentlessly ourselves. We don't have corporate overlords. We don't have league or television rights. We won't chase trends. And the idea of "clickbait" doesn't really apply to a zine. Our mission statement is really simple: Do cool poo poo we care about. We want to go deeper and/or weirder on the topics that catch our fancy, whether that's a society-transforming movement, a long-forgotten journeyman or a niche sport's subculture.

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 31, 2020

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Spencer Hall is part of it, as is Ryan Nanni, who I thought survived the SBNation bloodbath. Did he jet on his own or is he doing both?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
"Ryan Nanni on the Tao of Spergon Wynn" is a bat signal for the Football Funhouse

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1300449335319109642?s=21

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh my god this is the most jon bois looking website

i love it

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

oh cool sbnation made a prestige site that gathered all of its top talent under a single banner

don't see this going wrong

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

DJExile posted:

oh my god this is the most jon bois looking website

i love it

It really is quite incredible.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Declan MacManus posted:

oh cool sbnation made a prestige site that gathered all of its top talent under a single banner

don't see this going wrong

I mean it looks a lot less like a prestige site and more like just a simple landing page for their videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

I mean it looks a lot less like a prestige site and more like just a simple landing page for their videos

They say it's going to have blog posts and stuff too but this is primarily what it is, yeah. RIP A Huge Dog dot com.