Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Well think of it more as that’s why Devil Fruits are so luck of the draw and why certain types are so coveted. Some require heaps of creativity to even function and others require almost no effort. You could be a being made out of electricity or you could be the unlucky sod who ends up as a giraffe man for the rest of his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Asuron posted:

Well think of it more as that’s why Devil Fruits are so luck of the draw and why certain types are so coveted. Some require heaps of creativity to even function and others require almost no effort. You could be a being made out of electricity or you could be the unlucky sod who ends up as a giraffe man for the rest of his life.
Hey. Giraffes are awesome.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Aren’t giraffes super strong? I’d think being something like a wolf was much worse since an average wolf probably can’t kill an adult male with a stick but I’m pretty sure the giraffe has decent odds.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Don't forget there's a fuckin time travel fruit somewhere

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Giraffes contain infinite destructive potential, but it requires a master martial artist to draw it out. Kaku was still figuring it out on the fly when he fought Zoro, I'd love to see what he can do now :allears:

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Giraffes can kill, even decapitate, fully grown lions with a single kick.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Delightfully wondering tonight if this arc ends with Momo somehow unlocking his DF and turning into a dragon comparable to Kaido.

This chapter continues to cement to me that this comic is one of the best. Just satisfying payoff after satisfying payoff until the end... WHAM.

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Aren’t giraffes super strong? I’d think being something like a wolf was much worse since an average wolf probably can’t kill an adult male with a stick but I’m pretty sure the giraffe has decent odds.

The word probably is doing a lot of work here

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

TheLoneStar posted:

Giraffes can kill, even decapitate, fully grown lions with a single kick.

Nahhhhh Jabra was right, being a wolf man is cooler than being a giraffe man. I don't care if giraffes are more popular at the zoo :smugbert:

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Funimation had a great read during that bit.

https://youtu.be/PwEdX6N_Gu0

Kaku’s English VA could come off a bit stiff with his old man dialogue gimmick but the way he growls “I love giraffes” is priceless.

EDIT: Oh boy, gotta love auto correct!

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Aug 23, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Chapter is up https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1007481

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Last Celebration posted:

Giraffes have the highest blood pressure of all land animals. Hopefully it doesnt cause Kaku heart problems

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Just realized Luffy used a-actual tactics??? Deciding not to jump into a fight because a strong enemy would follow him and make his allies jobs harder?? Wow Luffy, you're so cool!

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Is it just me, or is the official translation almost as awkward as the fan translations this week?

Chapter still owned, but there were a few bits I had to read multiple times to make sense of the wording, and Franky's quip at the end is kind of weak.

On a different subject, I'm watching Whole Cake Island in the One Pace anime, and holy poo poo it's good. There's a whole bunch of amazing moments that were great in the manga, but it's just a whole other thing to see animated. Carrot going Sulong animated, flying over the ocean with all her flowing hair, was amazing. Big Mom rampaging on the Sunny, sticking her hands through a door and tearing it up looking for the wedding cake was terrifying. And there are so many random musical numbers, it's amazing.

But I'm mainly bringing it up because I had forgotten that this chapter is not the first time Brook cut Zeus in half. I had forgotten that, while Nami was the one who bullied Zeus into submission, it was actually Brook who physically captured him and handed him over to Nami. I do hope Zeus remains with Nami after this. It's a really hilarious power up for her, and I don't recall that she's done all that much with him so far.

I just want her to pull him out in a future arc, like Elbaf or something, and have people recognize it as Big Mom's ability and freak out.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Now that it’s cut in half I assume nami and big mom are both gonna use it

I still think sanji is fighting queen but who knows now that poo poo is finally hitting the fan

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I really how now is when we get Soul King versus Big Mom

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
franky will always be the coolest

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I don't imagine Sanji could fight one of the disasters solo. Luffy was barely able to beat Katakuri and I imagine they're in the same ballpark. It'll probably be some team up fights.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I don't imagine Sanji could fight one of the disasters solo. Luffy was barely able to beat Katakuri and I imagine they're in the same ballpark. It'll probably be some team up fights.

I think Katakuri was exceptionally strong and probably stronger than the disasters. I base this of nothing other than a hunch that his will is stronger and his observation haki was shown to be amazing.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Katakuri was built up as this super terrifying, impossible to touch dude with haoshoku haki who'd never lost a fight

King, meanwhile... we know nothing about King. We don't even have a bounty! I have no idea what to assume about whether or not Sanji could take him on

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all
the last pages read like a kelly comic to me for some reason? character voices seem a deal off

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I was confused when Yamato referred to Momo as his son but then I remembered the whole Oden thing. That's a bit weird.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Bleck posted:

Katakuri was built up as this super terrifying, impossible to touch dude with haoshoku haki who'd never lost a fight

King, meanwhile... we know nothing about King. We don't even have a bounty! I have no idea what to assume about whether or not Sanji could take him on

We don't know it, but we do know Queen is 1.32 billion, which was higher than Katakuris (1.057 billion), and based on what we've seen King is more powerful than Queen, though obviously bounty =/= strength and I'd honestly say Kaido's henchmen's bounties being higher make sense based on ther vicious methods (similar to how Kid had a higher bounty than Luffy pretimeskip due to killing a bunch of innocent civilians)

meefistopheles
Nov 11, 2013

Eiba posted:

Is it just me, or is the official translation almost as awkward as the fan translations this week?

Chapter still owned, but there were a few bits I had to read multiple times to make sense of the wording, and Franky's quip at the end is kind of weak.

Yeah, I definitely felt the same way. Franky's joke really didn't land. The first few lines out of Kaido's mouth this chapter also sounded more like an exposition reminder than a character speaking.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I was confused when Yamato referred to Momo as his son but then I remembered the whole Oden thing. That's a bit weird.

that's yamato's entire thing and like the only character trait we have so far. he wants to be specifically kozuki oden

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

meefistopheles posted:

Yeah, I definitely felt the same way. Franky's joke really didn't land. The first few lines out of Kaido's mouth this chapter also sounded more like an exposition reminder than a character speaking.

It might just be that the source Japanese just doesn't translate well. I'm going to guess that Franky made some kind of cool action-guy pun about flowers and running over big mom that only works in Japanese. Official translations tried to change it to a pun about "running" over her face, which kinda works but yeah definitely doesn't ring like a cool action guy line. Other translations tried to keep the flower line but ehhhh

I think the official one had the best idea to change it to another pun, but it wasn't the best execution. To be fair, I'm not sure what a better one could be. Maybe "looks like it time for Big Mom... To FACE the music!"

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I heard someone say that Yamato is a chuuni. I don't know what that is exactly so I don't know if I agree or not.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Mraagvpeine posted:

I heard someone say that Yamato is a chuuni. I don't know what that is exactly so I don't know if I agree or not.

Chuunibyou is translated literally as eighth grade syndrome. When you think youre destined for incredible things and youre the sole person in a world of sheep, dark powers exist in your heart that youre afraid to awaken (certainly its not because you dont have any powers, no no youre just afraid to awaken them), etc etc. I guess emulation of figures sorta fits under this, but it would probably be more like "Im the reincanation of Kozuki Oden", "I AM Kozuki Oden" kind of veers into delusional territory.

Also, as a concept it only really works in the real world and not in a place where super powers really do exist.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

Don't forget Yamato read Oden's log book which contained "very important things" and he said "he has to carry on Oden's will". He sounds delusional but I bet he read some "Will of D." lore that could make a reasonable case he is actually the new Oden.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
It's very simple, Yamato : Oden :: Hank Venture : Batman

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

CodfishCartographer posted:

It might just be that the source Japanese just doesn't translate well. I'm going to guess that Franky made some kind of cool action-guy pun about flowers and running over big mom that only works in Japanese. Official translations tried to change it to a pun about "running" over her face, which kinda works but yeah definitely doesn't ring like a cool action guy line. Other translations tried to keep the flower line but ehhhh

I think the official one had the best idea to change it to another pun, but it wasn't the best execution. To be fair, I'm not sure what a better one could be. Maybe "looks like it time for Big Mom... To FACE the music!"

I thought he was talking to Nami, who was sobbing

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mraagvpeine posted:

Easiest compare and contrast would be HS emo or goth edgelords with nicknames like Gemini, Nightshade, Echo Noir and other stuff like that. Wildstyle from the first Lego Movie is actually a pretty decent western example to explain the concept.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

A chuuni is That Kid who was really into Sasuke Uchiha, and then never grew out of that phase.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

meefistopheles posted:

I mean if a character is spouting awkward exposition you can really only translate that into awkward exposition

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Someone else pointed it out but to have the alliance spend a full arc saving sanji only for him be the one to save momo on a mr prince move is just so cool (on top of the contrasts with how sanji views his father/name and how momo does)

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Asuron posted:

right, i get that in universe they function that way. i am saying that as something that the author had an option to create, they were a poor idea, because they do not make for good in universe mechanics (at least in the way that he has decided to use them by and large)

euphemism
Nov 16, 2015

be kind, don't rewind

Professorjuggalo posted:

Someone else pointed it out but to have the alliance spend a full arc saving sanji only for him be the one to save momo on a mr prince move is just so cool (on top of the contrasts with how sanji views his father/name and how momo does)

he not only saved momo but he saved momo with tech he got from his dad/siblings that he'd only have gotten if he'd even gone to WCI in the first place

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

"I'll just read a few chapters before bed"

I read 40ish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
yeah during my current reread I sometimes decide that I'll read a little before bed and then I read an entire volume