Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I’ve read here that the Ciaphas Cain books suffer from repetition vis-à-vis Cain’s character flaws. However, I haven’t read any of the books in that series yet and am thinking that now is a good time to start! Should I start with the first book, or does it not really matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I read them in order and I would say there's a few plotlines that might be weird to read out of order and see references to all discombobulated like.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'll be honest and say that the repetition never really bothered me, Cain is a palette cleanser for grimderpery and Sandy Mitchell writes well enough that it's always enjoyable.

But I'm also a colossally boring sadbrain so repetition never bothers me much, YMMV.

:shrug:

E: Also, is Abnett alive? :ohdear:

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

I'll be honest and say that the repetition never really bothered me, Cain is a palette cleanser for grimderpery and Sandy Mitchell writes well enough that it's always enjoyable.

But I'm also a colossally boring sadbrain so repetition never bothers me much, YMMV.

E: Also, is Abnett alive? :ohdear:

Interred in a golden throne, I'm afraid

e: I've been binging BL lately and it's kinda really annoying me how everything has got to come down to dudes hitting one another with swords. Like all the conceits they have to come up with to make it necessary are grating on me.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 22, 2020

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

The dark secret of the imperial guard and space marine vehicle divisions is they exist purely to get their sword worldly occupants into range of the enemy faster. Titans are revered as god engines primarily because they have their own swords

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

aphid_licker posted:

e: I've been binging BL lately and it's kinda really annoying me how everything has got to come down to dudes hitting one another with swords. Like all the conceits they have to come up with to make it necessary are grating on me.

Swords are cool

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Swords are cool

So are yuge ships

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

aphid_licker posted:

So are yuge ships

Oh I got a 'uge ship for you :heysexy:

Its called the Furious Abyss.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

aphid_licker posted:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Man the Dark Angels are so cool only to be ruined by a Primarch named Lionel Jordan (I know it's spelled different but let's be real)

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the input on the Cain books, I’ll buy the first one whenever I wrap up Bloodlines! I have unapologetically been going full blast on the BL library during the pandemic, it’s been pretty great.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

As I get stressed re: upcoming classes my brain has been on full emergency mode so casual games and Warhammer 40k fiction and I don't know why 40k is my stress-relief this time but I'm loving it, Deathwatch has been a delightful read so far.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Thanks for the input on the Cain books, I’ll buy the first one whenever I wrap up Bloodlines! I have unapologetically been going full blast on the BL library during the pandemic, it’s been pretty great.

I finally got my copy and I'm 4 chapters in and holy poo poo, this is some Ravenor-class anthropology for they who live in the shadow of the Aquila. I'm really loving impressed.

CRIMEHYPE: ENTIRELY JUSTIFIED

:peanut:

E:

StrixNebulosa posted:

As I get stressed re: upcoming classes my brain has been on full emergency mode so casual games and Warhammer 40k fiction and I don't know why 40k is my stress-relief this time but I'm loving it, Deathwatch has been a delightful read so far.

I play Stellaris and murder xenos to relieve stress. It's all about finding the happy place and going to it?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 22, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Abnett is a pulp master and consistently raises the genre into what I consider like ... “real” literature which examines the human condition

I mean those are a lot of weasel nonsense words so feel free to say I’m full of poo poo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Oh yeah, when I say "Ravenor-class" I mean like when he's talking about Zael's living situation and how there's a sub-sector recession leading to all the mills closing and so forth.

BigShasta
Oct 28, 2010
I just finished The Great Work, and it was a fun read. All the flashbacks, lore drops, and casual conversation with a C'Tan shard really hooked me. What dou you guys think about the Emperor's conversation with Cawl? Was he referring to events to come in the book, or unknown future events?

When the C'Tan shard was suggesting that Cawl had interacted with another one before, was that referring to anything that exists in the literature, like does Cawl know about the one on Mars?

I've read Dark Imperium, and this book made me even more unsure about what Cawl Inferior is. Why is Cawl Inferior trying to put Cawl in charge of Mars?

I hope there will be more in this series.

Also, holy poo poo Cawl just released a C'Tan shard back into the galaxy, and gave no fucks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

This is the first I've heard of Warhammer Crime, is it like.... regular crime fiction but with sci-fi trappings?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is the first I've heard of Warhammer Crime, is it like.... regular crime fiction but with sci-fi trappings?

Yeah, planetary enforcers and that kinda poo poo.

"Extremely my jam" (as the kids juvies say these days).

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Like Dresden Files but more Grimdark?

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Angry Lobster posted:

More like if you put the Amazon video version of Bosch into the 40k setting, only instead of Bosch having ptsd from being a special ops soldier make him grumble about becoming too fat in his old age.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Schadenboner posted:

Yeah, planetary enforcers and that kinda poo poo.

"Extremely my jam" (as the kids juvies say these days).

Oh cool, kind of like the Shira Calpurnia novels then? I gotta read those, I have the omnibus.

Angry Lobster posted:

Dresden files is imo an extremely bad comparison to anything as it makes me think the other items are sexist as hell, and while 40k has its problems it's actually trying.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

More like if you put the Amazon video version of Bosch into the 40k setting, only instead of Bosch having ptsd from being a special ops soldier make him grumble about becoming too fat in his old age.

lol okay, that sounds cool. I would love to read a novel now about a 40k space marine retiring to civvie life and becoming a cop or something. I know they will NEVER leave their orders and stop being war machines but it's fun to think about.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

Sounds like a mix of Riggs and Murtaugh.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dresden files is imo an extremely bad comparison to anything as it makes me think the other items are sexist as hell, and while 40k has its problems it's actually trying.

Just kidding.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

abrosheen posted:

I just finished The Great Work, and it was a fun read. All the flashbacks, lore drops, and casual conversation with a C'Tan shard really hooked me. What dou you guys think about the Emperor's conversation with Cawl? Was he referring to events to come in the book, or unknown future events?

When the C'Tan shard was suggesting that Cawl had interacted with another one before, was that referring to anything that exists in the literature, like does Cawl know about the one on Mars?

I've read Dark Imperium, and this book made me even more unsure about what Cawl Inferior is. Why is Cawl Inferior trying to put Cawl in charge of Mars?

I hope there will be more in this series.

Also, holy poo poo Cawl just released a C'Tan shard back into the galaxy, and gave no fucks.

You should read Avenging Son next. Both Guy Haley. Cawl is in Avenging Son, not a major character though. As to your questions:

I think emps is referring to unknown future events. Cawl Inferior is an actual AI, or at least a sentient copy of Cawl. I think it wants itself to be fabricator general. Cawl specifically says he sent the C'Tan on a one way trip. It won't be coming back to the Imperium.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

D-Pad posted:

You should read Avenging Son next. Both Guy Haley. Cawl is in Avenging Son, not a major character though. As to your questions:

I think emps is referring to unknown future events. Cawl Inferior is an actual AI, or at least a sentient copy of Cawl. I think it wants itself to be fabricator general. Cawl specifically says he sent the C'Tan on a one way trip. It won't be coming back to the Imperium.

I took it as Crawl inferior is a copy of one personality, or a sub-section of the Crawl gasalt, instead of his entire mind. Crawl suddenly realised this and was "ok poo poo, i hosed up, this could go badly wrong"

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

lol okay, that sounds cool. I would love to read a novel now about a 40k space marine retiring to civvie life and becoming a cop or something. I know they will NEVER leave their orders and stop being war machines but it's fun to think about.

There's a short story/novel (Watchers of the Throne?) where a Custodes retires to become a planetary spymaster. He's injured and has become fractions of a second slower physically than his buddies so he heads off and spies on an entire world's worth of CCTV at the same time.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Z the IVth posted:

There's a short story/novel (Watchers of the Throne?) where a Custodes retires to become a planetary spymaster. He's injured and has become fractions of a second slower physically than his buddies so he heads off and spies on an entire world's worth of CCTV at the same time.

Isn’t this the rare good Nick Kyme story?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Syncopated posted:

Isn’t this the rare good Nick Kyme story?

I have no idea. I read it in passing and I completely forgot about the name. It was a decent whodunnit.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yes, Auric Gods by Kyme. It got introduced in the last Custodes codex that when Custodes slow down by a millisecond or two they retire and go out into the Imperium to monitor for threats to Terra or threats that may eventually become one. Basically Custodes inquisitors except they work in secret. I would love to get a series about one.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Z the IVth posted:

Auric Gods I think. It's a little novella and was a fun read

Just finished Bloodlines

Really enjoyed the slice of life look at the Imperium. It was a nice perspective shift from the sort of mythological demi-god-like POV that's been featured so heavily recently in the novelization due to the focus on the Heresey and kicking off the Dark Imperium setting.

Quite liked the different layers of society we got to see and all the different power players at every level. Enjoyed watching Zidarov (sp??) pull on strings and chase his leads. It was, independently of setting, a fantastic detective/thriller story. a bit concerned lesser writers may not be able to quite pull it off but we'll see I guess.

Reading about the rejuv harvesting was a horrifying and peak 40K. The nuns and stuff were a cool little scene.

Was there any wrap up to the Serpent worship stuff that I may have missed? His daughter was exposed to it and TBD moving foward I guess? It was an interesting addition to the character. A little low grade heresey.

High hopes for the series moving foward, and I blew the whole thing in a few hours last night so it def kept me engaged.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Waroduce posted:

Auric Gods I think. It's a little novella and was a fun read

Just finished Bloodlines

Really enjoyed the slice of life look at the Imperium. It was a nice perspective shift from the sort of mythological demi-god-like POV that's been featured so heavily recently in the novelization due to the focus on the Heresey and kicking off the Dark Imperium setting.

Quite liked the different layers of society we got to see and all the different power players at every level. Enjoyed watching Zidarov (sp??) pull on strings and chase his leads. It was, independently of setting, a fantastic detective/thriller story. a bit concerned lesser writers may not be able to quite pull it off but we'll see I guess.

Reading about the rejuv harvesting was a horrifying and peak 40K. The nuns and stuff were a cool little scene.

Was there any wrap up to the Serpent worship stuff that I may have missed? His daughter was exposed to it and TBD moving foward I guess? It was an interesting addition to the character. A little low grade heresey.

High hopes for the series moving foward, and I blew the whole thing in a few hours last night so it def kept me engaged.

My take on the Serpent Worshiping stuff was that he was a member of a genesteeler cult. There is a bit in the story where they briefly mention genesteelers, and the using serpents as symbolism is part of their deal. It’s also interesting that the city’s symbol for itself is a serpent as well, it makes me wonder how deep the cults roots run!

Also, the scar Zidarov references constantly was interesting too. I wonder if that was a genesteleer’s kiss?

Hot Dog Day #82 fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 23, 2020

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

My take on the Serpent Worshiping stuff was that he was a member of a genesteeler cult. There is a bit of the story where they briefly mention genesteelers, and the using serpents as symbolism is part of their deal. It’s also interesting that the city’s symbol for itself is a serpent as well, it makes me wonder how deep the cults roots run!

Also, the scar Zidarov references constantly was interesting too. I wonder if that was a genesteleer’s kiss?

the strange scar he doesn't remember getting :colbert:

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Ooooooo sheeeeeiit

I didn't put any of that together niceee

a shitty king
Mar 26, 2010

Biplane posted:

the strange scar he doesn't remember getting :colbert:

Bloodline spoilers:
plus his daughter having a more...ferverent idea of faith and a latent desire to explore the stars and visit other planets. 2nd generation? As there'll be future novels about the character (presumably) I can't picture it going anywhere good.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I would be incredibly amused by the grim darkness of it all if we spend several books following the threads of these characters to have them pop up in some future Space Marine/Inquisitor book to die in the span of a few sentences.

Bloodline Spoiler

it would dovetail nicely with the Genesteeler cult if perhaps a bit of a cheap out, but one man is but a speck amongst untold trillions. The Deathwatch / Inquisition says EXTERMINATUS

E: Thread Consensus is Avenging Sons is good and to read it yes? Looking for another Ham book to get into.

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Aug 23, 2020

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

It's good

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Does anyone have some recommendations for books?
I've read most of the go-to books, so something released in the last few years that's a real good read, or has the alpha legion or imperial guard being badasses?
Even just your top 5 fav books of the last while, I'm going to the bookstore tomorrow.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Ardent Communist posted:

I've read most of the go-to books, so something released in the last few years that's a real good read, or has the alpha legion or imperial guard being badasses?
Even just your top 5 fav books of the last while, I'm going to the bookstore tomorrow.

👏Carrion👏Throne👏

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Haha, yeah that's definitely a good one. Read and own that one already, with the hollow mountain also being read.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Bloodlines was very good, if you haven't read it yet. Avenging Son was also pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ardent Communist posted:

I haven't read it yet because Deathwatch, but Requiem Infernal by Fehervai is supposedly approaching literature with good 40k horror, so check that out and report back and tell me to read it already.