Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

tbp posted:

right, i get that in universe they function that way. i am saying that as something that the author had an option to create, they were a poor idea, because they do not make for good in universe mechanics (at least in the way that he has decided to use them by and large)

Only if you care about the abilities being fair and balanced against each other which I think is the main issue you're having. Some abilities are just broken, it's what make devil fruits so cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
I'm so very happy that Sanji did a cool and good Sanji thing again after running off to the pleasure house or whatever earlier

Len posted:

I didn't care enough to read the spin-off Yugioh so I started on One Piece. I'm not sure how I didn't check this out back in high school because this is very much my jam. Why is this the only.place where it's Zolo and not Zoro?

If you feel like it, this thread loves reading people's first reactions and thoughts. At least I do!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hard same here. Vicariously re-experiencing the series through new fans is pretty great :)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I like that having invisibility means Sanji can become even more Mr. Prince than before. Just vanishing for a few chapters and casually demolishing the villains' plans.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
It’s gonna be great if all the invisibility use results in Zoro getting the credit for Sanji’s actions.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I just thought of something. Doesn’t Sanji...have super speed? Like, that’s still a thing, right, he figured out how to do an imitation version of Shave (I guess I could call it the CP9’s but it’s more a Navy technique at this point) and he can do the Sky Walk too, right? So shouldn’t Momo just have disappeared super quickly after Sanji broke his chains at light speed and we just see Sanji doing a cool guy pose when he’s safely away?

Also thinking about it, invisibility shouldn’t really be working anymore, should it? Like it’s the stealth version of Conquerer’s Haki at this point, so then everyone should be able to tell that a pretty strong guy is dicking around doing invisible guy poo poo, right?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

One Piece was so good this week. Normally when the chapter cuts around a bunch it's a weaker one but it just felt fast paced this week and like we got plenty of progress too. Always nice when you get a cool Sanji moment especially post WCI.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Last Celebration posted:

I just thought of something. Doesn’t Sanji...have super speed? Like, that’s still a thing, right, he figured out how to do an imitation version of Shave (I guess I could call it the CP9’s but it’s more a Navy technique at this point) and he can do the Sky Walk too, right? So shouldn’t Momo just have disappeared super quickly after Sanji broke his chains at light speed and we just see Sanji doing a cool guy pose when he’s safely away?

Also thinking about it, invisibility shouldn’t really be working anymore, should it? Like it’s the stealth version of Conquerer’s Haki at this point, so then everyone should be able to tell that a pretty strong guy is dicking around doing invisible guy poo poo, right?

i assume sanji was about to peel the gently caress off but king is a lot faster than oven

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Last Celebration posted:

I mean there's so much poo poo going on and so many powerful people in that one room. It's probably hard to casually sense someone like that.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Professorjuggalo posted:

i assume sanji was about to peel the gently caress off but king is a lot faster than oven
I always assume speed is relative in One Piece, otherwise you end up with DBZ invisible sparks bouncing off each other

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Cat Machine posted:

I always assume speed is relative in One Piece, otherwise you end up with DBZ invisible sparks bouncing off each other

didnt that happen with the katakuri luffy fight anyway

I feel like one piece has some of the best power scaling in manga if you ignore crocodile

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Professorjuggalo posted:

I feel like one piece has some of the best power scaling in manga if you ignore crocodile
Probably just the result of Oda not planning THAT far ahead in the manga, but I also don't find it unreasonable that Crocodile wasn't prepared to seriously fight anyone in the weakest ocean, in a country he had all the water drained of already.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He also beat Luffy twice even after water mode: he’s definitely a bit of a bump in how well Oda has keep relative orders of power in scale

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Professorjuggalo posted:

It kinda does, honestly. More than most other manga, it feels like Oda has a definite idea how “strong” everyone’s supposed to be and writes with that in mind, so you have stuff like Zoro not getting a fair fight until Whiskey Peak because yeah it’s kinda contrived that he constantly gets dicked over but then him beating almost a hundred assassins with barely any effort and then being able to put up a real fight against Luffy doesn’t feel like BS.

Or Luffy vs Lucci where he’s fighting someone that outclasses him but even besides nothing but sheer willpower letting him punch above his weight he still has the handicap of no-selling a chunk of the martial artist assassin’s techniques.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
I don't think Crocodile was a bump as much as Luffy was a total monster from the start. Luffy is at pretty much the same raw physical power level from the start of the series through to early Water 7. There are no training arcs, he learns new moves but that's all experiential/finesse stuff.

Literally nobody poses a serious threat to Luffy in a straight fight until Crocodile apart from Arlong, an ex Grand-Line pirate from a world class crew. Luffy was pretty much at the bottom of the Shichibukai power grade from the start.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

tbp posted:

right, i get that in universe they function that way. i am saying that as something that the author had an option to create, they were a poor idea, because they do not make for good in universe mechanics (at least in the way that he has decided to use them by and large)
From the context of fight scenes, sure. But for story and characters and world building, they are amazing. How many plot points and events had to line up in the right way for Luffy to be able to beat Crocodile is part of what made that arc good, it was simply impossible to beat that person at that point by just becoming stronger.

Oda made Luffy a rubber man so no matter how serious the manga gets it will still look like a Looney Tunes carton, it's a bet that paid off. He seems to think long term about his decisions. Logias prevented the manga from becoming about just getting stronger, for a time at least, so if that was the bet it also paid off.

The unfairness and hopelessness is a big part of OP's world. I think they're fantastic and help keep OP unique and interesting. Now that we are in the big boy world with haki, they just fill a different role.

I remember from the beginning of the manga, even as far as until the WB war, seeing all these unstoppable forces of nature, and hearing stories of these unexplainably powerful people dealing with them effortlessly. It made me wonder how the hell they do that and helped make the world seem so huge and mysterious.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Man with Hat posted:

If you feel like it, this thread loves reading people's first reactions and thoughts. At least I do!

Last Celebration posted:

Hard same here. Vicariously re-experiencing the series through new fans is pretty great :)

Well last night I was about to call it a night when the gang got back together and Luffy decided it was time to go fight Arlong and how was I going to just leave it at that chapter? Next thing I knew it was almost midnight but they saved the day and liberated that island

I also grabbed the 3rd pirate warriors game for Switch because it was :10bux: and I have a brand of getting hype for a franchise.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The walk to Arlong park in the anime is supreme

https://youtu.be/458V3FpuEyw

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tolth posted:

I don't think Crocodile was a bump as much as Luffy was a total monster from the start. Luffy is at pretty much the same raw physical power level from the start of the series through to early Water 7. There are no training arcs, he learns new moves but that's all experiential/finesse stuff.

Literally nobody poses a serious threat to Luffy in a straight fight until Crocodile apart from Arlong, an ex Grand-Line pirate from a world class crew. Luffy was pretty much at the bottom of the Shichibukai power grade from the start.

I think the thing about Crocodile that seems off to people is specifically that he’s hanging with the big boys in Marineford and got beat in basically a straightforward slug fest once Luffy circumvented his weakness. Moria makes way more sense since even as a broken, lazy fat schlub he’s still entirely capable of handling base level Luffy, it’s only with all the other poo poo combined with his hubris that he really lost.

But Crocodile? Him being beaten in a straight fight only really checks out if Oda was planning on ending way sooner when he wrote that fight. If anything it shows Oda’s strength as a writer that that’s the only truly obvious sign that that’s the case, since iirc it’s something he’s outright admitted at some point in interviews.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Crocodile only really sticks out when you go back to Alabasta and compare it to what comes some time after, so it's not even like it retroactively ruins anything, it's still a great series of fights.

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Tolth posted:

Luffy was pretty much at the bottom of the Shichibukai power grade from the start.

early in his career Ace was invited to join the Shichibukai. we can assume Luffy was close to his (relative age) strength. so that kinda checks out

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Also I'm sure the joke has been made over and over but the One Piece is just going to be the friends you made along the way isn't it?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Len posted:

Also I'm sure the joke has been made over and over but the One Piece is just going to be the friends you made along the way isn't it?

He’s actually explicitly said that won’t be the case and that it is a thing

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

EmmyOk posted:

One Piece was so good this week. Normally when the chapter cuts around a bunch it's a weaker one but it just felt fast paced this week and like we got plenty of progress too. Always nice when you get a cool Sanji moment especially post WCI.

In this case, I think it helps a lot that everyone is in the same room or directly above that room. It's more like cutting around to different angles in the same scene, as opposed to different parts of an island, miles apart, like in some chapters of Dressrosa.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Every Strawhat apart from Zoro is in that hall, right? Seems like we're moving towards a Strawhats vs. Big Mom fight...

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Sanji good

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cat Machine posted:

Every Strawhat apart from Zoro is in that hall, right? Seems like we're moving towards a Strawhats vs. Big Mom fight...

I think Chopper and Usopp are still MIA but are heading to this area. Hopefully General Franky makes a grand entrance soon

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i respect the way you guys see them but i do not think i'll be able to come around to that point of view.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

IMO DF work because they are cartoonish and fun and he hasn't tried to add much to them really in how they work from the start. Even awakening is barely showing up and isn't a dramatic shift or attempt to give them some rules or mechanics late.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

EmmyOk posted:

jokes on you, usopp was made of solid gold this entire time

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i hope, somehow, the big mom pirates miraculously get knocked down the waterfall again despite being very far away from it currently.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

tbp posted:

i hope, somehow, the big mom pirates miraculously get knocked down the waterfall again despite being very far away from it currently.

The tengu guy will knock them down

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

EmmyOk posted:

I simultaneously am glad and disappointed that isn't the case. Especially with how much focus there's been on anything can be treasure.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

tbp posted:

Would enjoy it if Big Mom and her crew became the story’s Team Rocket, showing up on every island from here on out only to get clowned on in increasingly ridiculous ways

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i really do love that big mom can be hilarious and yet i'm still more petrified of her than any of the other emperors lol she's scary as gently caress

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

I've had two lingering thoughts lately:

How's oda going to depict people fighting kaido? He's just massive, and I have no idea how I would approach depicting him fighting in dragon form. I just keep getting the image of ants biting a human and being swatted/splatted

I'd also be happy (and it looks like oda is generally going in this direction) if the big mom pirates aren't included in anymore of the major on-screen events, we've already interacted with them a lot. Peros is enough for me until wano ends

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ubiquitus posted:

How's oda going to depict people fighting kaido? He's just massive, and I have no idea how I would approach depicting him fighting in dragon form. I just keep getting the image of ants biting a human and being swatted/splatted

I think that is exactly what is going to happen, and is the reason why Luffy will ultimately be the one to take him down with his giant rubbery fists.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i dunno how much oda planned of the new world content but my understanding is that he's had this concept of the 4 emperors locked in since he started the manga and that means the large-scale structure of the plot is following young oda's path and not older oda. i feel like that's good? cause it's before you know all the tropes. you can have a thought like, what if frieza kept chasing goku and then appeared in the cell arc. and though you (being older) might think, nah, self contained arcs work well now that' i've done a lot of them and it's easier to do, here we got a vet in the game having to basically follow the macro-level beats of a younger more active mind. dunno if that makes sense. big part of this line of thinking is just how insane it is to think, how about if big mom follows sh after WCI arc? like, who thinks of that. seems to fall more in line with a kid thinking "what if all the big bads show up at the end and it's a large battle?!" then you smash all your plastic figurines into each other head first making explosion sounds.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Ubiquitus posted:

I'd also be happy (and it looks like oda is generally going in this direction) if the big mom pirates aren't included in anymore of the major on-screen events, we've already interacted with them a lot. Peros is enough for me until wano ends
I just have this yearning to see, after all the poo poo they put the Straw Hats through, Big Mom's kids actually get taken down on-screen. Actually fought and defeated. At least the more major ones like Oven, Smoothie, Daifuku, and Mont-d'Or.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Lpzie posted:

i dunno how much oda planned of the new world content but my understanding is that he's had this concept of the 4 emperors locked in since he started the manga and that means the large-scale structure of the plot is following young oda's path and not older oda. i feel like that's good? cause it's before you know all the tropes. you can have a thought like, what if frieza kept chasing goku and then appeared in the cell arc. and though you (being older) might think, nah, self contained arcs work well now that' i've done a lot of them and it's easier to do, here we got a vet in the game having to basically follow the macro-level beats of a younger more active mind. dunno if that makes sense. big part of this line of thinking is just how insane it is to think, how about if big mom follows sh after WCI arc? like, who thinks of that. seems to fall more in line with a kid thinking "what if all the big bads show up at the end and it's a large battle?!" then you smash all your plastic figurines into each other head first making explosion sounds.

i know exactly what you mean and its something thats been making me excited too. he's been pretty explicit that the end game has been the main thrust of the manga since forever, like the main appeal, and its teh rest thats been expanded as time goes. its a real cool emergent effect that he's gotten better at his craft while coming up at the best material imo