Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

Couple of chonky caterpillars finishing up the milkweed, will have to find some more for them to eat. If I'm lucky they'll cocoon nearby and can get more pictures.

Big patch of thyme in the lawn.

The pollinators like it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
I wasn't getting onto anyone, it's just always good to rep natives whenever possible. While most exotics aren't necessarily invasive, I believe it's been found that once a landcape drops below ~70% native plants, it can no longer support chickadees/insectivorous birds, so it is important!

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Big slugge.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
this little guy got blown into me by the fan at work

a really pretty pink and slightly off-white coloring on the wings

this lady set up shop in the corner of my back door's frame at around the start of the lockdowns and has been there ever since. I even caught her with her romantic partner once, and recently the fruits of her labor have manifested!

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Is that one of those species where the males are itty bitty?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Red Queen posted:

Is that one of those species where the males are itty bitty?
the male looked like the female but deflated, basically. he ran off as soon as they were done, presumably because they're a species where the male is the post-sex snack

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

BlancoNino posted:

Couple of chonky caterpillars finishing up the milkweed, will have to find some more for them to eat. If I'm lucky they'll cocoon nearby and can get more pictures.

Big patch of thyme in the lawn.

The pollinators like it a lot.

drat that's a cool critter

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Lil' bitty lizard.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
ID request on this fella!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The size of that ovipositor!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Captain Invictus posted:

You've got some evening primroses nearby! https://www.butterfliesandmoths.org/species/Schinia-florida

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

its all nice on rice posted:

ID request on this fella!

Here's a close up of your pic:

Probably some kind of Braconid (parasitic wasp).

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Captain Invictus posted:

this lady set up shop in the corner of my back door's frame at around the start of the lockdowns and has been there ever since. I even caught her with her romantic partner once, and recently the fruits of her labor have manifested!

babby spiders are so adorable!! :kimchi:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Telebite posted:

gently caress yeah nature is :black101:

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Telebite posted:

Did you do this with some sort of neural network image upscaling? I've got a whole load of photos I'd love to sharpen up like this.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

treat posted:

Did you do this with some sort of neural network image upscaling? I've got a whole load of photos I'd love to sharpen up like this.

They just cropped it. The actual size of the original image is actually gigantic, but got scaled down by imgur and/or SA.

Edit: no wait, there is some upscaling done on the second one there! It looks great.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

treat posted:

Yes! Gigapixel. Can't get enough of loving around with it. :)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
I was getting some pictures off a memory card today and I came across a bunch of birds I may or may not have posted before.

The usual winter crew:

A less common winter visitor:

Flickers have so much going on with their plumage, they look like some kind of Frankenstein bird.

The usual summer crew:

Lots of juvenile corvids around - they're always so fun to watch!

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Cool! I see a ton of those bird feeder denizens pretty regularly. My feeder is dominated by cardinals but Carolina Chickadees straight up don't give a gently caress and get their lunch whenever and wherever. Hairy woodpeckers warrant some caution among the regulars but the flickers, thrashers, and bigger woodpeckers dominate everyone else.

About half of our Cardinals have mites and they are literally bald, it's kind of a bummer to see but it apparently is more cosmetic than fatal.

Bluebirds, Blue Jays, and corvids don't give a gently caress and don't hang around the feeder proper.

Specter1357
Mar 31, 2010
Saw this cute Southern Flying Squirrel last night. He didn't fly over to my feeder but climbed on my roof and slid down the birdfeeder pole like a fireman.

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm
Couple of doves had been nesting/raising sequential babies for four/five months up on my front porch. Guess they’re finished, because the nest is knocked down and there’s no sign of repair. Got a photo of mom, dad and last chicklet a few days ago.

Edit: or are those two chicklets?

Mister Mind fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Aug 31, 2020

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Hey, wild horses. The stallion is sporting the darker coat and consistently positions himself between us and his harem. The ladies are so good at hiding the smaller foal from sight I might not have even realized it was there if I hadn't gotten the drop on them. You can just about see her tiny toosh in the first two photos.

A mormon cricket searching for a place to lay her eggs. The ground here was as soft as powder and she spent all evening waddling around our campsite stuffing her ovipositor into the dirt for a few minutes before looking for another spot.

Some other crickets have bigger problems. I appreciate the acrobatics

A folded-wing skipper (Wallengrenia egeremet), I think. This isn't part of their natural range but butterflies get around

A young gopher snake I backed into a corner.

And this milk chocolate dream boat is the most gorgeous calf I've ever seen, I can't get over him. I hope he's gotten over his little cough by now.

treat fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 31, 2020

Mister Mind
Mar 20, 2009

I'm not a real doctor,
But I am a real worm;
I am an actual worm

treat posted:

And this milk chocolate dream boat is the most gorgeous calf I've ever seen, I can't get over him. I hope he's gotten over his little cough by now.

Gosh, I hope he isn’t a little...horse :dadjoke:

Edit: Dad, it’s a calf.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Mister Mind posted:

Gosh, I hope he isn’t a little...horse :dadjoke:

Edit: Dad, it’s a calf.

Right, horses have 4 of those.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
so do calves, oddly enough

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Captain Invictus posted:

So beautiful :swoon:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

treat posted:

A mormon cricket searching for a place to lay her eggs. The ground here was as soft as powder and she spent all evening waddling around our campsite stuffing her ovipositor into the dirt for a few minutes before looking for another spot.

What a lovely shot. Are they as big as those images make her look?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Free Cheese posted:

Using plants native to your area for your plantings is far and above the best way to foster local wildlife, especially pollinators

I have a resident population of these dudes in my yard because I planted a bunch of coontie, their larval host plant, and firebush, among other native flowering bushes and plants. Tons of other less-endangered native butterflies, and the occasional hummingbird to go with them. Starting to get migratory orioles in my beauty-berry bushes, too.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Gulf Fritillary and Zebra Longwing (pretty sure). We have a couple native species of passion vines out back. They love that Tithonia too.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Cardiovorax posted:

What a lovely shot. Are they as big as those images make her look?

You have no idea

They're also all over the place. I commonly see crop dusters out in the field dropping bait/insecticide pellets along along the highways to lure them away from the road. Once a swarm crosses the pavement and gets mooshed by tires, thousands more swarm to feast on the corpses and meet the same fate. The road quickly becomes slippery with bug guts and creates a pretty serious traffic hazard.

I've posted this one before but it's a good example of what it looks like after they've come and gone

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Zebra Longwing (pretty sure).

Yes, you are correct! They're so pretty. I have yet to have any caterpillars, even though I have three big passionflower plants in my backyard. I can get the fritillaries all day long, but no longwing babies. :(

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Skutter posted:

Yes, you are correct! They're so pretty. I have yet to have any caterpillars, even though I have three big passionflower plants in my backyard. I can get the fritillaries all day long, but no longwing babies. :(

Cool, I'll have to keep an eye out and see if I can find any caterpillars. I've never seen these here before, but this year I have more flowers than usual.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiYUzpvn-mQ

anybody have any idea? it is living in a puddle made when a carboard box was rained on. it has a small black head. northeast US

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Horsehair worm, perhaps?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
yep that seems like it, thanks!

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, I agree, that's definitely what this looks like. If you had looked more closely, I bet you could've found the host body that it escaped from.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Saw this guy while I was looking for mushrooms to shoot. I was sure he was a salamander until I got a close look and spotted the scales.

Apparently young ground skinks are just a bit salamandery.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Eastern tiger swallowtail (dark female coloring)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Yeah, that looks about right. Was the topside bright yellow?

e: sorry, I swear I saw a question mark in there somewhere before I posted. My eyes clearly aren't what they used to be...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, that looks about right. Was the topside bright yellow?

e: sorry, I swear I saw a question mark in there somewhere before I posted. My eyes clearly aren't what they used to be...

It's fine I almost put a question mark. I'm not a butterfly person, but I'm trying to learn them.

From what I understand the dark form does not really have any yellow. We have yellow ones flying around here too though.