Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Disagree on merging the bonsai thread.

Bonsai are only superficially similar to other decorative plants. Past potting and watering, the techniques and goals are very different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I admit I don't understand the current situation, and I don't have a strong opinion, but one thread in DIY for growing plants (incl gardening, landscaping, and houseplants) and another in TGO for appreciating wild plants found on hikes etc makes sense to me. Perhaps it makes sense to keep landscaping separate.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I think there’s a lot of crossover between the threads (growing plants is basically growing plants)but also enough differences to justify having two threads. The tomato people might not want to read about my roses and the houseplant people might not care about their tomatoes etc.

I’m working on an OP for a more outdoors focused tree/wild plant/edible plant appreciation/discussion thread for The Great Outdoors if nobody else makes one.

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Yea when veg gardening stuff is in season it easily overpowers cactus and succulent type questions so I would keep those separate at the very least.

Just put it back to the way it was with two threads here, plus ^ tree/wild plant/edible plant discussion in TGO

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I'm fine with putting things back as they were if that's the general consensus.

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I'd be happy with that. A wild plant thread would be cool for TGO and the plant thread can stay horty in DIY. I'll follow all of them. And leave the weird bonsai nerds alone.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

I'm fine with putting things back as they were if that's the general consensus.

Big forums drama in DIY: How many threads about plants should we have?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Woodworking thread is technically about plants

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Most of Goons with Spoons is about plants.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Jaded Burnout posted:

Woodworking thread is technically about plants

All those sewing goons are using cotton and linen fabric, the knitters use wool that was made by sheeps eating eating plants. The 3D printers use plastic made from petroleum made from rotten plants :thunk:

Merge all of DIY into the plants thread?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Demand tribute from Automotive Insanity for using the products of photosynthesis.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

At the end SA will just have one thread anyway

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
merge the cc weedthread with the plant threads

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
About plants, I found these eggs on my squash this morning: https://imgur.com/a/rUHPoCl

Really looking for help on what I should do about them. They currently were cut off and placed into the compost, however, if they are butterfly eggs I'll bring them right back out and grow those bitches.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Platystemon posted:

Disagree on merging the bonsai thread.

Bonsai are only superficially similar to other decorative plants. Past potting and watering, the techniques and goals are very different.

Bonsai is growing a potted tree, that’s it. What else is so radically different about it that would keep other houseplant owners from learning? You have to optimize soil, lighting, water, fertilizer like every other plant.

My point is that there’s enough similarity between Houseplants that we can share info and techniques and learn from one another. There’s not enough activity to warrant a separate thread for each branch of horticulture. The bonsai thread gets what, 3-4 posts a week?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

All those sewing goons are using cotton and linen fabric, the knitters use wool that was made by sheeps eating eating plants. The 3D printers use plastic made from petroleum made from rotten plants :thunk:

Merge all of DIY into the plants thread?

Plastic is made from oil which is made from rotted animals, sorry. The plants turn into coal.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

lil poopendorfer posted:

Bonsai is growing a potted tree, that’s it. What else is so radically different about it that would keep other houseplant owners from learning? You have to optimize soil, lighting, water, fertilizer like every other plant.

My point is that there’s enough similarity between Houseplants that we can share info and techniques and learn from one another. There’s not enough activity to warrant a separate thread for each branch of horticulture. The bonsai thread gets what, 3-4 posts a week?

You dont quite get what bonsai is i think and that's fine but this is the most active the thread has been in awhile, please dont try and gently caress with it. There's no reason to drive posts there that aren't about it. And I'm not some bonsai expert either, that would be crocoduck, but I value listening to what they say, about bonsai, in the bonsai thread.

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Aug 27, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

lil poopendorfer posted:

Personally, I don’t think the bonsai thread should be merged. If anything, the mood is different enough, and if the complaint is that bonsai thread moves too slowly then every bonsai post/question/picture would get buried by unrelated posts.

Plus a lot of bonsai “rules” are kind of antithetical to good conventional horticulture, and vice versa. I don’t really want to have to wade through a bunch of well-meaning “your pot is too small” or “why did you rough up that sapling so much?” comments.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Plastic is made from oil which is made from rotted animals, sorry. The plants turn into coal.

petroleum can also be made of plants. Probably mostly plants, or algae.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Aug 27, 2020

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

Bonsai is about as niche as you can get, and it's a lot more than just growing potted trees. I think it's well defined and can stay on topic within its own thread. The low post rate is just indicative of the nature of bonsai: slow and steady.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

lil poopendorfer posted:

Bonsai aren’t even houseplants. They are occasionally displayed indoors for short periods of time, but that’s it. They need to experience the passage of seasons out-of-doors or their health will decline.

Houseplants are a subset of tropical species that tolerate the constant temperature and low humidity of the indoor environment and are usually also tolerant of low light exposure.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Bonsai aren’t even houseplants. They are occasionally displayed indoors for short periods of time, but that’s it. They need to experience the passage of seasons out-of-doors or their health will decline.

fighting words in the ficus/jade/portulocaria scene

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

CommonShore posted:

At the end SA will just have one thread anyway

I for one welcome the Singoonlarity.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Earth posted:

About plants, I found these eggs on my squash this morning: https://imgur.com/a/rUHPoCl

Really looking for help on what I should do about them. They currently were cut off and placed into the compost, however, if they are butterfly eggs I'll bring them right back out and grow those bitches.

I'd wager on vine borer eggs. Best just go get that leaf and stomp it a couple times and set it on fire to be safe.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3
I mainly grow carnivorous plants, should I be posting in the pets threads? :ohdear:

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005
They're squash bug eggs. You probably have more, in clusters like that, if you check the tops and bottoms of all your leaves. Duct tape works pretty well to remove them without damaging the leaf.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

HELLO LADIES posted:

I mainly grow carnivorous plants, should I be posting in the pets threads? :ohdear:

PI gets really angry when you feed pitcher plants I'd advise against that but I'd love to see your carnivorous plants

Edit: bad joke from a vegetarian PI doesnt care I'm sure I was trying to make a big plant eating puppy joke

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 27, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

PI gets really angry when you feed pitcher plants I'd advise against that but I'd love to see your carnivorous plants

lol, do they really? do they get mad at the herping thread too, and just not post in it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ok Comboomer posted:

fighting words in the ficus/jade/portulocaria scene

Ficus is the one true exception.

It’s fighting words to use “bonsai” in the same sentence as succulents.

Bonsai aren’t even my thing so I’m sorry if I’m playing the part of an offended traditionalist wrong. Great scot! Is that aluminum wire?

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 27, 2020

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Ficus is the one true exception.

It’s fighting words to use “bonsai” in the same sentence as succulents.

Bonsai aren’t even my thing so I’m sorry if I’m playing the part of an offended traditionalist wrong. Great scot! Is that aluminum wire?

a lot of bonsai pros would consider jades more legitimate than ficus

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

OK so any objection to this?
- Move the plant thread from TGO back to DIY as a "horticulture" thread
- DIY gardening thread becomes the edibles thread? Like back to veggie gardening and similar "english country garden" content?
- Kaiser opens a new outdoorsy greenery thread in TGO

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Jaded Burnout posted:

OK so any objection to this?
- Move the plant thread from TGO back to DIY as a "horticulture" thread
- DIY gardening thread becomes the edibles thread? Like back to veggie gardening and similar "english country garden" content?
- Kaiser opens a new outdoorsy greenery thread in TGO

This sounds good.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The plants thread can be moved to DIY for display, but it must experience the great outdoors for its health and development.

j/k

That sounds fine. Don’t actually change this thread’s name to “edibles”, though, unless it’s part of a sick weed pun.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

JoshGuitar posted:

They're squash bug eggs. You probably have more, in clusters like that, if you check the tops and bottoms of all your leaves. Duct tape works pretty well to remove them without damaging the leaf.

Thanks a bunch! I am on the process of getting after it. I popped out at lunch and looked closer and they are ALL OVER the plants. Looks like I've got some work ahead of me since I don't want to use sprays.

Sockser posted:

I'd wager on vine borer eggs. Best just go get that leaf and stomp it a couple times and set it on fire to be safe.

Looks like JoshGuitar is the correct one on this.

JoshGuitar
Oct 25, 2005

Earth posted:

Thanks a bunch! I am on the process of getting after it. I popped out at lunch and looked closer and they are ALL OVER the plants. Looks like I've got some work ahead of me since I don't want to use sprays.

While you're out there, you might want a spray bottle of water with a few teaspoons of soap in it. You'll probably see some adults and nymphs hanging out too...the soapy water will kill them pretty quickly without "spraying" as in dousing your plants with insecticides.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I hate squash bugs, they're the main reason I use spinosad religiously during the early part of the season.

Every time I've ever had them it's been a drat wrap for the affected plants.

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

You dont quite get what bonsai is i think and that's fine but this is the most active the thread has been in awhile, please dont try and gently caress with it. There's no reason to drive posts there that aren't about it. And I'm not some bonsai expert either, that would be crocoduck, but I value listening to what they say, about bonsai, in the bonsai thread.

You can't say what makes it different, because there isn't anything. You're growing trees in pots, period. Thanks for suggesting I don't get bonsai, though. Mind sharing one of your trees so we can see what someone who "gets" bonsai has produced?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
bonsai fight! bonsai fight! bonsai fight! :munch:

-all your trees are from Home Depot!

-your “broom style” juniper looks like a shrub!

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Someone just got BONSERVED. :v:

Edit: The thread title is fine. :smug:

mischief fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Aug 27, 2020

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Platystemon posted:

The plants thread can be moved to DIY for display, but it must experience the great outdoors for its health and development.

j/k

That sounds fine. Don’t actually change this thread’s name to “edibles”, though, unless it’s part of a sick weed pun.

I mean, the OP of this thread is literally about growing victory gardens to fight the Great Recession. It might make sense to put "vegetable" back in the name.

But yeah, probably not "edibles", although it would be funny to do a CC/DIY crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DIY secret santa maybe?