Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.
Yeah the new ones were fine I guess. Honestly the chud screaming kinda turned me off to them even more so than the mediocre films themselves.

E: wow what a lovely snipe. Uh, well I searched for "Kathleen Kennedy," and the sewage that is the current Star Wars fandom didn't disappoint. OP isn't the idiot. Also don't read the comments unless you like staring into the abyss.

https://twitter.com/SW_takes/status/1287436539325116418?s=19

Lanky_Nibz has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Aug 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

there wolf posted:

Let's be real about it: people gently caress, date, and even marry across political lines all the time, just not the lines the regressives writing this garbage want to acknowledge are there. A communist getting involved with a liberal is across political lines, and so is an anarchist loving a libertarian, or a moderate getting involved with a radical. "Tup a Trump supporter" is just gaslighting to make it seem like Trumpists are anything other than a small minority of radical assholes with a grossly oversized platform compared to their actual numbers.

Exactly, and it comes from a basic presumption that political views are like supporting a football team, or liking a show. Things which have no real world consequences for the people involved. Expecting people to 'just give the rightwing person a chance' when their political views will cause real-world harm to innocent people is so hosed up and entitled.
Like, I've seen people in my country argue that a pro-choice person was being picky and mean because they dumped their partner when they found out they were planning to vote against a law change to make abortion legal - these are not just differences of opinion; making their opinions law could have cost their partner their life or caused them lifelong physical harm.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Pookah posted:

Exactly, and it comes from a basic presumption that political views are like supporting a football team, or liking a show. Things which have no real world consequences for the people involved.
:cheers:

You nailed it. "Oh, he supports Trump" is not like "Oh, he's vegan" except in that both will probably tell you about it. The vegan dude is not going to support people who want you dead.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Arsenic Lupin posted:

:cheers:

You nailed it. "Oh, he supports Trump" is not like "Oh, he's vegan" except in that both will probably tell you about it. The vegan dude is not going to support people who want you dead.

And they always loving argue that not wanting to be around people like that is creating some kind of echo-chamber. Like, there are 7.5 billion people on this loving planet, why should I waste my tiny time here talking to bollockses?. Too many good people out there to waste my time on a bollocks. :colbert:

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Pookah posted:

And they always loving argue that not wanting to be around people like that is creating some kind of echo-chamber. Like, there are 7.5 billion people on this loving planet, why should I waste my tiny time here talking to bollockses?. Too many good people out there to waste my time on a bollocks. :colbert:
I'm willing to hear out people's opinions that disagree with mine, and think such a thing is both worthy and necessary, since it's not like I'm perfect. What I'm not willing to do is hear out people's opinions that deny my personhood or the personhood of others, support genocide, or advocate letting some people just die because it's not like they're worth much anyway. This ought to be a really low bar, and yet.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

PetraCore posted:

I'm willing to hear out people's opinions that disagree with mine, and think such a thing is both worthy and necessary, since it's not like I'm perfect. What I'm not willing to do is hear out people's opinions that deny my personhood or the personhood of others, support genocide, or advocate letting some people just die because it's not like they're worth much anyway. This ought to be a really low bar, and yet.

Exactly - there has to be a baseline where we agree on fundamental rights and solid evidence-based argument. Once those are out the window, it's pointless and exhausting.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Pookah posted:

Exactly - there has to be a baseline where we agree on fundamental rights and solid evidence-based argument. Once those are out the window, it's pointless and exhausting.
And to be fair, listening to other people I (used to) disagree with is how I changed my mind on stuff like prison abolition/reform, because there's a lot of things people grow up just assuming and they need to actually think about those assumptions to refine their positions. What exactly those things are are going to change based on who you are, but that was one of mine (that the criminal justice system was generally pretty fair).

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

PetraCore posted:

And to be fair, listening to other people I (used to) disagree with is how I changed my mind on stuff like prison abolition/reform, because there's a lot of things people grow up just assuming and they need to actually think about those assumptions to refine their positions. What exactly those things are are going to change based on who you are, but that was one of mine (that the criminal justice system was generally pretty fair).

It's very hard to counter basic assumptions people have because they tend to be so very basic - you (and me, not exempting myself in any way here) tend to acquire them in childhood and never really question them unless forced to. Some people react to having these basic assumptions questioned, re-examine them based on new information, and some people get suuuuper defensive and protect them as though they are beloved family members under threat. Those people are dopes.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Pookah posted:

My partner and I actually have opposing political views in terms of the party we vote for but we're both moderates and tend to actually agree on most things. We both have to be a little careful with family but luckily, there's no arseholes which makes it easier. Also, being in England and not America helps. Don't think I could stomach a trump supporter. But yeah, it can work if you agree on most of the basic stuff.

But anyway, have some stupid.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

sugar mouse posted:

My partner and I actually have opposing political views in terms of the party we vote for but we're both moderates and tend to actually agree on most things. We both have to be a little careful with family but luckily, there's no arseholes which makes it easier. Also, being in England and not America helps. Don't think I could stomach a trump supporter. But yeah, it can work if you agree on most of the basic stuff.

"opposing" in terms of labor vs tories? if so, call me crazy, but I think voting for the party that gave your country boris johnson, dominic cummings, "350 million a week to fund the NHS instead," and brexit is comparably stupid to supporting trump :shrug:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was assuming lib/lab/green split.

Or comedy option, CPB/CPGB(ML) :v:

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

World War Mammories posted:

"opposing" in terms of labor vs tories? if so, call me crazy, but I think voting for the party that gave your country boris johnson, dominic cummings, "350 million a week to fund the NHS instead," and brexit is comparably stupid to supporting trump :shrug:

Yeah, Labour /Tory split. Both anti brexit though which I think helps. Don't think I could cope with someone that was pro brexit still. I know a good few people who voted brexit but since have changed their minds on that.

Also, it's worth remembering that Dominic Cummings wasn't a well known figure until he decided to try to bullshit an entire country live on TV.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

sugar mouse posted:

Yeah, Labour /Tory split. Both anti brexit though which I think helps. Don't think I could cope with someone that was pro brexit still. I know a good few people who voted brexit but since have changed their minds on that.

Also, it's worth remembering that Dominic Cummings wasn't a well known figure until he decided to try to bullshit an entire country live on TV.

Is your partner still tory?

If so, gross, sorry.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Lanky_Nibz posted:

how Kathleen Kennedy was secretly fired and poo poo.

lol that's the Clinton ankle monitor thing again

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, there's a difference between disagreements on Measure B to revitalize our historic downtown district through municipal bonds and whether or not I should exist

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Wait, I thought Brexit was a done deal? Is the whole country against it now that there's no turning back?

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Data Graham posted:

Wait, I thought Brexit was a done deal? Is the whole country against it now that there's no turning back?

Iirc enough boomers have died off that even if you assume the exact same % breakdown in every age group Brexit wouldn't pass.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

oldpainless posted:

I’ve been using the term “man residue” wrong for years

more like old™less

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

Yeah, there's a difference between disagreements on Measure B to revitalize our historic downtown district through municipal bonds and whether or not I should exist

Hey, dunno if it helps but i've seen your posts in other threads and the world would be a poorer place without your exceptionally fierce/gorgeous personal style. Keep being you; the world needs it .

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Data Graham posted:

Yeah it's a done deal, now all the idiots who voted are beginning to realise what a massive gently caress up it is but we voted so we're all going down together and it sucks balls.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Pookah posted:

Hey, dunno if it helps but i've seen your posts in other threads and the world would be a poorer place without your exceptionally fierce/gorgeous personal style. Keep being you; the world needs it .
It does! Thank you :j:

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

Pookah posted:

Is your partner still tory?

If so, gross, sorry.

It gets worse.

He's a 4channer

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Data Graham posted:

"Admit you were wrong and we'll think about it"
so, uh, that didn't work out :v:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Data Graham posted:

Turns out extracting yourself from the framework of the EU when you've built your economy around open borders with the rest of Europe--and of course, The Irish Problem--is actually really really hard.

On the other hand aborting it would mean having to admit that you're wrong and I don't know what the EU would demand of them to stay. Would they have to give up the pound and go to the Euro? The UK really hosed itself into a corner this time.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

sugar mouse posted:

It gets worse.

He's a 4channer

Oh, so this is a troll.

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

It does! Thank you :j:

You rock!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sugar mouse posted:

Yeah it's a done deal, now all the idiots who voted are beginning to realise what a massive gently caress up it is but we voted so we're all going down together and it sucks balls.

It's important to note that, just like US politics, given the opportunity they would still vote the same way.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

EL BROMANCE posted:

It's important to note that, just like US politics, given the opportunity they would still vote the same way.

Brexit was a really strange one here though. Unlike normal politics where you've either mostly got your team or don't care, this suddenly came out of nowhere and info was blasted about on topics that we'd never had to really consider before. I mean, who actually knows about fishing rules unless you're involved, you know? So a lot of reasonable (ish) but not overly smart people voted to leave. Now, when the realisation that it's a poo poo show is appearing, the penny is finally dropping.

It's gonna be great when the deep and hard recession hits as well. Yay.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

sugar mouse posted:

It gets worse.

He's a 4channer

I'm not telling you how to live your life but uh... I hope he's either got a monster dong or is extremely rich because I'm having trouble imagining any other plus point from the picture you're painting :stare:

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

sugar mouse posted:

It gets worse.

He's a 4channer

This thread never fails to deliver.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
he might be prettier on the outside

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

sugar mouse posted:

It gets worse.

He's a 4channer

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/JimGaffigan/status/1299206772364902400

Jim went on a big rear end twitter rant last night and this ended up in the replies.

And former Chicago Bears linebacker brian urlacher is full on q loving conspiracy chud. Thread:

https://twitter.com/RzstProgramming/status/1299046257525170176

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

sugar mouse posted:

So a lot of reasonable (ish) but not overly smart people voted to leave.

Brexit was never about economic issues, it was about racism. All those "reasonable but not overly smart"-people were just afraid of muslims moving into the neighbourhood.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PurpleXVI posted:

Brexit was never about economic issues, it was about racism. All those "reasonable but not overly smart"-people were just afraid of muslims moving into the neighbourhood.

I thought they were afraid of polish people moving into their neighbourhood?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Brits are so old-school racist they don’t know that there’s a difference or why it should matter

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's true, can confirm.

sugar mouse
Oct 17, 2006

PurpleXVI posted:

Well depends on your point of view. For the working class, it was getting rid of the foreigners. For the middle class, they were largely tricked into thinking the economy might improve but also secretly glad the Muslims might get deported.

For the wealthy, it meant they can avoid the big clamp down on corruption that the EU was putting in place. Because they're in control, they told everyone else that it would be great for the economy and hinted very strongly that we'd be able to get rid of all the people that are different.

Also lol at the concern posts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

sugar mouse posted:

Brexit was a really strange one here though. Unlike normal politics where you've either mostly got your team or don't care, this suddenly came out of nowhere and info was blasted about on topics that we'd never had to really consider before. I mean, who actually knows about fishing rules unless you're involved, you know? So a lot of reasonable (ish) but not overly smart people voted to leave. Now, when the realisation that it's a poo poo show is appearing, the penny is finally dropping.

It's gonna be great when the deep and hard recession hits as well. Yay.

I was in the UK up til a few months before the vote and anyone with any smarts to them knew remaining was the right answer. Anyone who put any faith in the Tories and Helicopter Boy cannot be labeled as 'reasonable' unless they're somehow in the small percentage who could somehow profit from the country going into a tailspin. And when given a possible out, they still voted that same way overwhelmingly because Corbyn is whatever monster Fleet Street have decided he is this week. The UK, just like the US, is full of easily misled idiots who can't even be trusted to vote for their own benefit because the second you put a poster up saying it's all brown peoples fault, they believe it.

And another recession will be absolutely catastrophic for sure, I can see the exchange rate is still at the arse end of everything.