Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Spender was originally an exposition dump NPC who was handed off as an emergency character to someone who had their regular game collapse 15 minutes before the start of Paranatural's first session

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

No, Spender is the guy who keeps acting like he’s still the protagonist despite his narrative arc being finished, and the literal generation-long time skip specifically done because his character got too OP.
So he's Joseph Joestar?

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Spender is the DMPC who doesn’t give out pertinent lore because it would ruin the pacing of the campaign

BlackPersona
Oct 21, 2012

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-7-page-16 Update! I guess it's a little early this time to make up for last week's snafu.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

BlackPersona posted:

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-7-page-16 Update! I guess it's a little early this time to make up for last week's snafu.

Oh poo poo, so that's why Angel told Penny to not reveal to anyone that she has White energy.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SKULL.GIF posted:

Oh poo poo, so that's why Angel told Penny to not reveal to anyone that she has White energy.

She's almost definitely the angelic figure that Forge was talking about, I think.

Also, are we about to get a flashback within a flashback?

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yikes this is unexpectedly heavy poo poo.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Got a page link for this?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Podima posted:

Got a page link for this?

https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-6-page-46

We knew White energy was rare, but until now we didn't know the implications that it would have. Penny and, presumably, any other spectrals with White energy would be major targets.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Oh, a Wight's not that big a deal. Just the spectral equivalent of a nuclear reactor. :monocle:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

God every page has just been so interesting lately.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
So what about black energy then? Counts as no colours? Can't pull at all from anything not black?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's... quite common, actually

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I could guess black spectrals can only use black spirits, while colours can use similar colours and of course white can use anything.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

And anyone can use black spirits maybe?

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

https://twitter.com/paranaturalzack/status/1299189035462656006

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I seriously did not expect boss leader to be so forthcoming about this

she continues to own in new, fasicnating ways!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Remember she's expressly called out Spender's teaching style as crazy bullshit. She was also very upfront about things when talking to Max in dreamland.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, Isaac is just out of luck due to being a medium for a spirit that the Consortium knows is hostile and presumably actually fought against in the past (specifically against Spender even), meaning that wanting to keep potentially dangerous information away from him makes sense. And even then Boss Leader calls out Spender keeping too much secret from him.

Of course, shock and awe also might be part of her goal here. Kids getting too nosy? Instead of tantalizing them with hints or excuses that make them want to look deeper because they know you're hiding something, just show them exactly how dangerous what they're asking about is and scare them back in line. Like, young Mina here would definitely keep pursuing answers on what a wight is if she got deflections from Boss Leader, and those investigations could eventually lead to her actually finding a wight or something, and then? Dead kid, probably. So instead, just be upfront that they are immortal, insane, unfathomably powerful spirits, possibly drop some stuff relating to her own history as further demonstration of what bad news they are and all, and it might hopefully get her to realize what a bad idea messing with them is, or at least look into other avenues of trying to help Dr. Burger than messing with wights.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I mean, Boss Leader also can just wipe everyone's memories of this entire event if she chooses too but that wouldn't remove the base curiosity they already have. Unless she can actually do some crazier mind bending stuff but that'd be very distressing and utterly broken.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Boss Leader is going to wipe all their memories afterwards and say "That wasn't for you, that was for..." *looks at camera, winks*

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

So if Sandman is Boss Leader's spirit, then I think that debunks the theory that the black spider was BL keeping an eye on the train... and possibly introduces another member of the Consortium who we haven't met yet who's been watching Day and Spender.

Sandman being some sort of moon-themed spirit also reminded me of another celestial body spirit... Sun and Moon, black and white, both extremely dangerous to the point that they're apparently capable of stripping clean everything in a large radius around it. We don't know yet what measures Boss Leader is using to contain Sandman, but I'd bet you the barrier around Mayview is specifically to contain Spender's "nuclear bomb".

Back to Sandman for a moment. As Boss Leader says, that it's White energy is exactly what makes it so dangerous -- being an Universal Recipient means when it's destroyed it can strip energy from everything around it. I'm guessing that the White energy also means it's a feedback loop: that it could take energy from everything meant that it became powerful much more easily than spirits of other colors. Because it became more powerful, it also becomes increasingly dangerous to kill, because every time it's destroyed it immediately reincarnates by stripping energy from around it. At some point you have to permanently contain these things.

Final thought: If White spectral energy works that way, and White spectrals are artificially-created, then what's the deal with Black spectral energy? We haven't seen any Black-energy spirits yet, I think -- aside from Rick's bomb -- and only Max and Dr. Burger have been shown to have Black energy. I think Black energy being "... fairly common." is going to be a plot point.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SKULL.GIF posted:

So if Sandman is Boss Leader's spirit, then I think that debunks the theory that the black spider was BL keeping an eye on the train... and possibly introduces another member of the Consortium who we haven't met yet who's been watching Day and Spender.

Sandman being some sort of moon-themed spirit also reminded me of another celestial body spirit... Sun and Moon, black and white, both extremely dangerous to the point that they're apparently capable of stripping clean everything in a large radius around it. We don't know yet what measures Boss Leader is using to contain Sandman, but I'd bet you the barrier around Mayview is specifically to contain Spender's "nuclear bomb".

Back to Sandman for a moment. As Boss Leader says, that it's White energy is exactly what makes it so dangerous -- being an Universal Recipient means when it's destroyed it can strip energy from everything around it. I'm guessing that the White energy also means it's a feedback loop: that it could take energy from everything meant that it became powerful much more easily than spirits of other colors. Because it became more powerful, it also becomes increasingly dangerous to kill, because every time it's destroyed it immediately reincarnates by stripping energy from around it. At some point you have to permanently contain these things.

Final thought: If White spectral energy works that way, and White spectrals are artificially-created, then what's the deal with Black spectral energy? We haven't seen any Black-energy spirits yet, I think -- aside from Rick's bomb -- and only Max and Dr. Burger have been shown to have Black energy. I think Black energy being "... fairly common." is going to be a plot point.
Max's scrapwyrm is black

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Splicer posted:

Max's scrapwyrm is black

Ah, so it is, I thought we hadn't confirmed its color yet but both times in the spirit world you can see it's giving off scraps of Black energy. The red/blue eyes took primacy in my recollection, I guess.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Also:

Presumably Boss Leader in the middle. Could that be Garcia on the left, looking nerdier?

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?

Splicer posted:

Max's scrapwyrm is black

So is Doorman's ninja bunny friend, as well as one of Grandpa Guerra's students.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Also:

Presumably Boss Leader in the middle. Could that be Garcia on the left, looking nerdier?

I don't know. Rick is a teenager in this flashback, and I got the impression he and Jean were around the same age. BL says "There was a time I was like you... young, and free of knowledge of such creatures" so in all likelihood it's 1. high school/college-aged BL 2. at minimum several years ago given that BL has had time to both become possessed and for the possession to grow to such an extent that her appearance is now a dream mummy in a pajama suit.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I assume Garcia is roughly as old as Spender, meaning he might not even have been alive during the events of the upcoming double-flashback

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I see no reason to assume that given his weird supernatural dealings! The point I was getting at is that he might be very long-lived.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
The real thing of note this page is the realization that killing a wight is a horrible idea specifically because doing so forces it to evolve and subsequently detonating the equivalent of a spectral nuke. But that also means that there has to be some record of a wight dying because BL knows the outcome and now I'm imagining a kaiju battle between two of these creatures.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
This is probably absolute horseshit wild guessing but with the talk of a Broken God much earlier in the comic, how probable is it that the "broken god" is a Wight that somehow got split up into its constituent colours and is now sealed in like eight separate places and people (seven rainbow, plus black)?

One of them possibly being Spender since he's so ultra paranoid about not touching yellow tools.

The Wight that Doctor Burger is currently (inhabited by? consumed by?) is probably a different one, sealed at the bottom of the lake, where nothing with spectral energy can/will go. Except Rick Spender.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Also:

It's a young Francisco Guerra, book it

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It's a young Francisco Guerra, book it

Yeah this is my guess. Jean Garcia has a way more angular face and jaw, the facial shape displayed here is closer to Francisco, and Zack's the type of artist to pay attention to details like that.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

MarquiseMindfang posted:

This is probably absolute horseshit wild guessing but with the talk of a Broken God much earlier in the comic, how probable is it that the "broken god" is a Wight that somehow got split up into its constituent colours and is now sealed in like eight separate places and people (seven rainbow, plus black)?

One of them possibly being Spender since he's so ultra paranoid about not touching yellow tools.

I think Spender's just paranoid about yellow tools because Lucifer's yellow and needs all of Spender's delicious yarn to keep the shadow spirit caged.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

neogeo0823 posted:

She's almost definitely the angelic figure that Forge was talking about, I think.

Also, are we about to get a flashback within a flashback?

I don't know if Penny is the angel but I'd absolutely bet real money that the angel is a wight. Look at the text here, it's all rainbow-colored: https://www.paranatural.net/comic/chapter-5-page-15

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't wait for the part where Max takes his bat apart and dual wields it.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

If Wights almost instantly come from the brink when they’re killed, then how did Boss Leader become a medium for Sandman? The whole point is to feed off spectral energy to regain their strength, to the point where Eightfold had to off herself to go back into the tool.

Somehow this thing had to have been taken down in an area practically devoid of anything it could feed off of, and I imagine that includes spectrals.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I don't think Sandman has been destroyed because Boss Leader still refers to it as a wight. Doesn't seem to be any restriction on Wight's being bonded to a Spectral

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I initially took Sandman to have a sort of birdlike head. Like some kind of... phoenix wight.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yeah it's just a big cockatoo IMO. It definitely has a birdlike beak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
I think it's a crescent moon. Like this but with a pointy nose.

It even has other crescent moons on the top of it's head.