Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Motronic posted:

I'm still using my old rear end 18v dewalt sawzall for pruning. I'm REALLY tempted to get a hackzall.

I have the long Diablo pruning blade on there. I hit the chain link fence, and the saw just broke a tooth off the blade and kept going.

I went through almost two 5ah batteries. The trunks that the ivy forms are extremely dense wood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

street doc posted:

What is the good poo poo, because I am super slow at getting work done....and it’s a big project.

Depending on exactly how much you need, 2-3k for a set of it. And then you have to store it forever. Rental is like $100/week for the same set, so you'd need to keep it up for half a year for it to make sense.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Ryobi experience: I'm building a stick framed cabin in the garden and so far I've only expended 2 4ah batteries. My oldest drill driver is starting to get a bit loose on the clutch though. Using the 1/2" impact wrench with a hex adapter to drive 6" screws is :discourse:

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I'm idly looking for a bench vise. These things are oddly expensive.

Some guy locally is selling a Columbian 504 m2, which seems to have some sort of cult following given some quick googling. He's asking $80 for it. Meanwhile, I can get a 5" brand new from Lowe's for basically the same price (the Columbian is a 4"). Is the one from Lowe's for that price total junk, or is that guy asking twice as much as he should?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
In my experience most second hand sellers are delusional about what their crap is worth, so without any research I would say the seller is either an idiot or looking to sell to one.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Some guy locally is selling a Columbian 504 m2, which seems to have some sort of cult following given some quick googling. He's asking $80 for it. Meanwhile, I can get a 5" brand new from Lowe's for basically the same price (the Columbian is a 4"). Is the one from Lowe's for that price total junk, or is that guy asking twice as much as he should?

There's a guy on eBay selling one of those for $80 shipped. Probably just did a cursory search and listed his at the price he saw elsewhere.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Probably both. I know nothing about that vise but I paid £35 each for a pair of old record 7"s, one was cracked and repaired the other was assembled wrongly, while other people were selling the same thing for £75 or I could buy a new one with crappy reviews for £150. (I bought 2 because my dad was making a workbench so I got him one)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

tangy yet delightful posted:

Unless you really need the insulated screwdriver + blades, I would consider looking into their toolcheck plus for your apartment if I was going to buy a combo set from Wera.

To be honest, the apartment is the only place I'd actually need insulated screw drivers. I always turn off the power and use a fluke voltage sniffer to see if the lines are off. But yeah, might be a bit overkill. I have some cheap-ish insulated screw drivers already.
The Toolcheck plus has everything I need and more. Thanks!

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

-del

Dominoes fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Aug 25, 2020

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Depending on exactly how much you need, 2-3k for a set of it. And then you have to store it forever. Rental is like $100/week for the same set, so you'd need to keep it up for half a year for it to make sense.

What brands should I be looking for when renting?

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

street doc posted:

What brands should I be looking for when renting?

If it's 2 planks wide, has spots for retaining pins, and is heavy as gently caress, it's fine. Most of the scaffolding rental places use the good stuff, because it gets the everliving poo poo beat out of it constantly.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Thank you for the vise input guys!

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Thank you for the vise input guys!

Oh man, those Columbian Vises look real nice... made in Cleveland too, betcha that’s real good steel and that even the crustiest ones would clean up nice. I cleaned up an old Ridgid pipe vise last year and it looks/works incredible now.

I’ve always wanted one of the old Wilton bullet vises, but just can’t justify the price quite yet. I just recently went on a Ridge Tool Company pipe wrench buying spree after snapping a harbor freight wrench when I really needed the torque. Old tools and old steel are the best.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

not mine

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

At a place I rented I did something similar but the locking pliers were sticking out of the tank :v: I let them keep the locking pliers when I moved out.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Anyone have a problem with their Milwaukee M18 Fuel impact driver?

A while ago the chuck went out, wouldn't hold a bit.

I sent it back for repair, twice, and the third time the sent me a new one.

And guess what - this one just did the same thing to me on the job site today.

Every other Milwaukee impact I have (m18 non fuel, m12 reg and right angle) I have put through the same "abuse" and for much longer.

Do they just have something wonky going on with this or am I just getting poo poo luck?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Ferrule posted:

Anyone have a problem with their Milwaukee M18 Fuel impact driver?

A while ago the chuck went out, wouldn't hold a bit.

I sent it back for repair, twice, and the third time the sent me a new one.

And guess what - this one just did the same thing to me on the job site today.

Every other Milwaukee impact I have (m18 non fuel, m12 reg and right angle) I have put through the same "abuse" and for much longer.

Do they just have something wonky going on with this or am I just getting poo poo luck?

I've seen several complaints about the collet failing, but they all seemed to be in relation to using them with spade bits for drilling. Are you doing that?

I've used mine a good amount for some really high torque applications and it hasn't failed on me yet :shrug:

e: I think this video illustrates the issue https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GhnSwg5840

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Absolutely I am. Gotta get through the studs somehow.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You might consider getting a forstner bit instead. They're a lot kinder to the driver.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Ferrule posted:

Absolutely I am. Gotta get through the studs somehow.

Unfortunately from all I have seen it seems to be a debris issue, so try and keep the sawdust out of it as best as possible and keep sending it back for repairs until they make a gen 4 and send you one of those.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

DIY secret santa maybe?

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I haave a B&D handheld sander. Simple $30 thing. Worked great for over a year. Eventually the velcro couldn't hold on any longer, so I picked up a set of sanding discs with a replacement pad. The four screw holes that hold the pad to the sander itself melted through in a matter of like, less than an hour runtime (left pad). I figured it was junk, so I bought a new velcro pad with decent reviews. Within minutes it had started to melt those mounting holes as well (right pad). What am I doing wrong here?? It's just four screws holding these velcro pads to the device, am I somehow screwing them on wrong and causing this issue?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think they’re loose and they’re letting the pad move underneath them.

Use Loctite and screw them down firmly.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
Do you have the original pad? Does its thickness match the replacements?

Aside from just being loose it could be that they're sitting proud, pressing against the paper into the workpiece just enough to generate heat but not leave noticeable marks. It could either be because you haven't quite tightened them all the way or because the replacement pads aren't the same thickness as the original.

If that's the problem you could try very carefully trimming down the screw shanks with a dremel.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I don't have the original any longer at this point, unfortunately.

Are you saying I should use glue in conjunction with the screws?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Glue won't help if the screws being too long is the problem. I suppose you could use glue instead of the screws.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Well even without the original, if you run a straight edge(like a good quality ruler) over the screw holes with the new pads installed, is there a gap or are they proud/flush? Even flush may be a problem and if that is the problem loctite won't help.

If the issue isn't that they're not seated deep enough and you're left with the possibility they're vibrating and causing the heat then you don't want to use regular glue if that's what you're thinking of. When he said Loctite he meant the stuff below, not their Loctite brand superglue. Though those lock washers should be preventing chatter.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-Threadlocker-Blue-242-0-20-fl-oz-Specialty-Glue-209728/100371826

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Yeah my thinking was that they came from the factory with thread sealant on them. When you reinstalled them, they didn’t have this and now they’re working loose due to vibration.

A dimension discrepancy is another good hypothesis though.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

SpartanIvy posted:

Unfortunately from all I have seen it seems to be a debris issue, so try and keep the sawdust out of it as best as possible and keep sending it back for repairs until they make a gen 4 and send you one of those.

My backup (non fuel impact) did the same thing to me the other day. I was pissed. Had to use my hole hawg.

However, I just sat down with both these and started to type in the online return form. They requested a pic (new I think) and so I grabbed a bit and slid it in and it held.

So now I'm wondering if it's both a debris thing like you said and maybe just a heat thing - expansion and contraction.

weird.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Ferrule posted:

My backup (non fuel impact) did the same thing to me the other day. I was pissed. Had to use my hole hawg.

However, I just sat down with both these and started to type in the online return form. They requested a pic (new I think) and so I grabbed a bit and slid it in and it held.

So now I'm wondering if it's both a debris thing like you said and maybe just a heat thing - expansion and contraction.

weird.

I gave it some thinking and looked up people complaining about it online, and I wonder if the issue is that the ball bearing very slightly peens the metal on the side of the slot it rides in inside the chuck, causing it to slightly stick on occasion instead of moving back and forth like it should. That could then be made worse by debris that would normally not be an issue for it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I've just remembered that I ordered a (very budget) drill press at 2am last night. Wild.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Jaded Burnout posted:

I've just remembered that I ordered a (very budget) drill press at 2am last night. Wild.

:hfive:
I ordered a bandsaw when drunk last week and it arrives today. I'm very excited to try it (I won't be drinking this time)

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Rutibex posted:

:hfive:
I ordered a bandsaw when drunk last week and it arrives today. I'm very excited to try it (I won't be drinking this time)

Not even one beer to stabilize the hands? Pfft

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

OSU_Matthew posted:

Not even one beer to stabilize the hands? Pfft

you have two hands so clearly that means two beers.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Amazon Warehouse Deals are both a blessing and a curse. My Bandsaw arrived, and it was supposed to be "lightly used" and was marked down to $100 Canadian so I could not resist. Unfortunately when it arrived I found it a bit more dinged up than expected:

It came it a big cardboard box, without any extra packaging so it was rattling around loose:

Inside the inner box it is clear that whoever repackaged this neglected to put the packing foam back and just stuffed everything into the box

Because of this the tension knob on the top of the machine poked through the packaging and also the outer box. Its clear that people were resting the box on the tension knob, as its completely busted. Just the cheap plastic knob though, the tension screw is fine and I can make a new knob out of wood:

Finally, because the thing was ratting around so much the built in work light is broke :( I found the bulb rattling around the box

But after all that I checked out everything else and she chooches like a dream. This saw will cut many woods for me! These minor dings are not enough damage to make me complain to amazon. I don't want to return this thing, as I'll never find another $100 bandsaw again.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Sep 4, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
DIY > Tools: This saw will cut many woods for me!

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Platystemon posted:

DIY > Tools: She chooches like a dream. This saw will cut many woods for me!

:ahem:

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I have an old "Handy Wyteface" metric tape measure that has a square body that is exactly 5cm long. I find this super handy when measuring between walls and other obstructions. You put the back of the body agianst the wall and add 5cm to the measurement at the tape opening. I find its accurate enough down to milimetere precision.

I can't seem to find a modern tape measure that has that feature. I only have the one, and the markings are getting worn out. Does anyone know of a tape measure with this feature?

Here is the imperial version of the one I have

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Humbug posted:

I have an old "Handy Wyteface" metric tape measure that has a square body that is exactly 5cm long. I find this super handy when measuring between walls and other obstructions. You put the back of the body agianst the wall and add 5cm to the measurement at the tape opening. I find its accurate enough down to milimetere precision.

I can't seem to find a modern tape measure that has that feature. I only have the one, and the markings are getting worn out. Does anyone know of a tape measure with this feature?

Here is the imperial version of the one I have

All of my inch tapes have 2" long bodies even if they're not marked as such.

I also have a cheapo tape measure that's dual inch/mm that's marked as 62mm long, weirdly.

This is the US, not sure what's standard these days in the UK or Canada where I'm guessing you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

All of my inch tapes have 2" long bodies even if they're not marked as such.

Yeah, I was gonna say, that's pretty standard. My Stanley Fatmax and other similar type tapes all seem to be 3".