Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Waterfall Watcher posted:

Just finished steel ball run and I gotta say at this point it felt like a DM had to find an excuse for the players to kill the villain again after convincing them to spare them not thinking it would work.

He's a politician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
that bit was my favourite thing in the entire arc, part 7 is still one of the best anti-american pieces of fiction to ever exist

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

Araki wanted his proper Jonathan-DIO fight.

I don't remember Johnathan having a civilian body count when he fought DIO.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Professorjuggalo posted:

that bit was my favourite thing in the entire arc, part 7 is still one of the best anti-american pieces of fiction to ever exist

It's insanely frustrating when people read Valentine as noble or in the right or whatever. He's the worst piece of poo poo villain in the series.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Tonfa posted:

It's insanely frustrating when people read Valentine as noble or in the right or whatever. He's the worst piece of poo poo villain in the series.

How can Valentine be the worst POS villain when Diavolo exists?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The only main villain who isn't a complete monster is Pucci, everyone else is just the worst in their own unique way

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

multijoe posted:

The only main villain who isn't a complete monster is Pucci, everyone else is just the worst in their own unique way

Nah Pucci is bad too, dude is all about exploiting and brainwashing and destroying anybody around him in the name of his religious crusade, even those who actually have the same goal as him or are at least under his control, and his entire goal is just him trying to put everybody else except himself into their own place so that they can live as fate dictates, never wavering, without any kind of freedom whatsoever.

Dont Touch ME
Apr 1, 2018

The pillar men are moral paragons

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dont Touch ME posted:

The pillar men are moral paragons

Kars is a cheating weenus :colbert:

Edit: jokes aside the pillar men enslaved an entire species and Kars committed genocide on his own people.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

This really makes me hope Jobin is the ultimate big bad of Jojolion

Because so far, no arc villain in Jojo had his motivation, which involved getting involved with organized crime, murdering at least two people (including his father), ordering hits, indirectly causing more deaths through said hits, and so on

The noble motivation of

"I am not quite rich enough"

While his evil is on a smaller scale than most other arc villains, he really makes up for it in sheer pissboyitude

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Brought To You By posted:

How can Valentine be the worst POS villain when Diavolo exists?

The whole end sequence with valentine re-directing attacks onto the third world and then justifying everything at the end with ‘I did it for America’ makes diavolo look like a saint in comparison

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

This really makes me hope Jobin is the ultimate big bad of Jojolion

Because so far, no arc villain in Jojo had his motivation, which involved getting involved with organized crime, murdering at least two people (including his father), ordering hits, indirectly causing more deaths through said hits, and so on

The noble motivation of

"I am not quite rich enough"

While his evil is on a smaller scale than most other arc villains, he really makes up for it in sheer pissboyitude

He's so hung up about not having the best baseball game seats

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

DIO's initial cartoon villainy was far worse than pretty much any other villain. Then it got retconned in Part 6.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

multijoe posted:

Pucci is pretty bad. The fact that he is incapable of recognizing his evil, I think makes him worse.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

multijoe posted:

Pucci was a piece of poo poo too, but he was also the first of the JoJo villains to legitimately be thinking of someone other than themselves which Araki has been improving on as the motivations of his villains have gotten loftier since then. If the Head Doctor/Tooru remains the closest thing to main antagonist this arc gets, he'll be the third since his goal is to revolutionize the medical world and make a tidy profit while doing so. also probably something do to with Rockhuman biology and overcoming it but then there's Kaato just waiting to take the main villain position

Professorjuggalo posted:

The whole end sequence with valentine re-directing attacks onto the third world and then justifying everything at the end with ‘I did it for America’ makes diavolo look like a saint in comparison
I don't rate that as being better or worse than selling drugs to children, creating a massive criminal empire, or attempting prolicide. And let's not forget Valentine attempting to rape Lucy and the several times he's stabbed civilians and his own people in the back. Both of these guys are scumbags, liars, and willing to brush off any misfortune that happens to others as a result of their actions as justified. But Araki sells it so much better with Valentine and while he is a horrible individual presentation counts for something when comparing characters and Diavolo just can't compete here.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Pucci was a piece of poo poo too, but he was also the first of the JoJo villains to legitimately be thinking of someone other than themselves which Araki has been improving on as the motivations of his villains have gotten loftier since then. If the Head Doctor/Tooru remains the closest thing to main antagonist this arc gets, he'll be the third since his goal is to revolutionize the medical world and make a tidy profit while doing so. also probably something do to with Rockhuman biology and overcoming it but then there's Kaato just waiting to take the main villain position

Yeah this is pretty much what I was getting at, he's still awful but he's the only one who actually had a purpose other than 'getting off' and in his own insane way had noble intentions.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pucci's primary motivation is that he's desperate to get validation that accidentally hiring the KKK to kill his sister was in fact predetermined and thus his hands are ultimately clean of the matter.

For a Catholic, Pucci really wants to be a Calvinist.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Funky Valentine posted:

Pucci's primary motivation is that he's desperate to get validation that accidentally hiring the KKK to kill his sister was in fact predetermined and thus his hands are ultimately clean of the matter.

Which ties in directly to how he's defeated by his own hand.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Pucci and Valentine are both great villains because you can very much take their backstories and draw a line as to how it informs their goals. The incredible comedy of errors that is the Pucci family followed by Enrico getting picked up by the toxic messiah, Valentine's time as a POW and the crushing realization that there is no universe where his father survives.

Compare Diavolo who is just this black hole of nothing.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How many napkins has valentine taken without asking first? Disgusting

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
yeah with a couple exceptions (bruno, abacchio, pesci kind of) the characterization in part 5 is pretty bad.

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
simple isn't bad, like giorno not liking the idea of kids doing drugs is a fine motivation to take down a local mafia

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Giorno also went from "take over the mafia to stop the drug trade" to "need to murder this psychopathic gently caress who wants to kill his own daughter just because she's alive." Both are good, simple goals that speak to Giorno as someone who wants to protect something even if he needs to resort to dangerous means to accomplish that.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Funky Valentine posted:

Pucci and Valentine are both great villains because you can very much take their backstories and draw a line as to how it informs their goals. The incredible comedy of errors that is the Pucci family followed by Enrico getting picked up by the toxic messiah, Valentine's time as a POW and the crushing realization that there is no universe where his father survives.

Compare Diavolo who is just this black hole of nothing.

Diavolo's problem is that any backstory you could give him that takes place before finding the stand arrows would either also be Doppio's backstory or would be something that would fit way better as Doppio's backstory.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 31, 2020

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
As he's presented, Diovolo is only a facet of Doppio's character.

This becomes a problem when Doppio dies.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

yeah with a couple exceptions (bruno, abacchio, pesci kind of) the characterization in part 5 is pretty bad.

i'm not even a big fan of giorno myself but poo poo like this is dumb as hell because i could literally just be reductive of most any of the characters by intentionally making them sound stupid

like is anyone even trying to pretend that holly magically got sick for any reason other than that araki needed a plot device? dio basically had to be retconned into having an actual motivation in part 6 because he straight up had nothing other than I AM AN EVIL rear end in a top hat in flashing neon letters going for him for multiple parts.

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
If anything I wish giorno stuck with the ‘I’m doing this for the kids’ stuff instead of totally forgetting about it after they leave the island

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Droogs stop being a concern for Giorno real quick too.

Mostly because it becomes part of Bucciarati's backstory and his initial reason to want to climb the mafia ladder.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Johnny Joestar posted:

i'm not even a big fan of giorno myself but poo poo like this is dumb as hell because i could literally just be reductive of most any of the characters by intentionally making them sound stupid

like is anyone even trying to pretend that holly magically got sick for any reason other than that araki needed a plot device? dio basically had to be retconned into having an actual motivation in part 6 because he straight up had nothing other than I AM AN EVIL rear end in a top hat in flashing neon letters going for him for multiple parts.

Yeah and those are joked about a lot too, it's just that "drugs r bad" is easier to meme

e: this one's both of those in one:

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 31, 2020

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Why are we posting memes like they're an indictment?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I'm not "indicting" anything, I shared my opinion of the characterization in part 5 and then threw in a couple memes to keep it lighthearted because it's not that serious to me. Sorry if I hurt anyone, you're free to dismiss my opinion as stupid and uninformed if you want.

e: And for further clarity, my next post was simply to point out that there's nothing unique about the jokes and memes about "drugs r bad," and that all the other silly and ridiculous aspects of the series are also similarly joked about and memed, then I provided an example that happened to touch on both of the examples simultaneously. Again, not "indicting" anything, just talking about jokes. If you think Giorno's motivations are fine or great, great. I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise, just share my perspective.

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Sep 1, 2020

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Schwarzwald posted:

As he's presented, Diovolo is only a facet of Doppio's character.

This becomes a problem when Doppio dies.

:agreed:

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Yeah and those are joked about a lot too, it's just that "drugs r bad" is easier to meme

e: this one's both of those in one:

What is DIO going to do with that subway sandwich? This is important.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Johnny Joestar posted:

Holly getting deathly sick from generating a stand gets weirder as the parts go on because you see several children who survived it but she couldn’t.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Those kids were assholes and Koichi chested

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
She still has less spiritual strength than some animals and a sword, just within the same part

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Holly is Pure Of Heart, you see

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

somepartsareme posted:

She still has less spiritual strength than some animals and a sword, just within the same part

I think it’s only dangerous if the stand is forcibly activated, like DIO awakening did to the Joestars and if you get hit by the arrow. Otherwise only people who can survive it in the first place awaken stands.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

you have to be a prick to be a Stand user. Koichi was nice and then he becomes more of a prick as he hangs out with the boys and that's why his Stand evolves

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

:agreed:

What is DIO going to do with that subway sandwich? This is important.

Graft a human head onto it, presumably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Koichi would have died from the arrow had Josuke not intervened too.