Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

blue squares posted:

Oh, cool. I didn't want to come into this thread and just be demanding.

I already have all the peripherals, though my monitor is very budget.

I just want something that is going to look about as good as a PS5, but I'll probably mostly use it to play games that only come out on PC like Crusader Kings 3 and indie stuff on Steam, aside from stuff like RPGs that you can mod a lot. I'll still be a primarily PS4/PS5 gamer. Wi-Fi compatible is important. I doubt I will do something like overclocking since back in 2011 when I made my last computer it sounded complicated and somewhat dangerous if you do it wrong. Not sure if that is still (or ever was) true. Favorite games are RPGs, story-driven single player stuff, strategy games.

Budget is up to $1000, but I don't want to spend $1k just for the sake of it. If I can play my games and have them look great at $700 then I'm a happy man. I am fascinated by VR stuff and it would be cool to have a computer that could run it, but not if I have to spend several hundred additional dollars just to get that working (in addition to the cost of VR equipment).

Not sure if 4K technology is at the point in gaming where I should get a system that can run in 4K and a 4K monitor. Probably not while staying in my budget, I'd guess?

edit:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? Gaming
What's your budget? $1000
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?: 60HZ, 1920x1080. Is that ok?
How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”?: Pretty good but I don't need the best possible poo poo

edit2: Oh and I saved my HDD and SSD from my last PC so I'm good there! My SSD is sadly only 250GB but they both still work. Both almost 10 years old though

OK, so here's a baseline:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GAMING Video Card ($229.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P300A Mesh ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($85.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $750.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-01 14:10 EDT-0400

Adding a 1TB SSD is only like $100 now even for M.2 parts like the SN550, so keep that in mind if your little SSD is feeling too restrictive for installing big games because they'll feel slow as poo poo on a mechanical hard drive.
1660 Super is good for 1080p60. For about $100 more you can move up to an RTX 2060 that's maybe 20% faster.
If the stock CPU cooler seems loud you can get a good aftermarket one like a Hyper 212 or Arctic Freezer 34 CO for like $35.
Mesh cases like the P300A Mesh and Meshify C are fine stock but can cool very well if you add 2x140mm front fans like Noctua Redux PWMs.

For compatibility use PC Part Picker, it will check for obvious mismatches if you swap around parts.

The only part availability that's messed up because of COVID really has been power supplies. They're all like 30% more than they should be and come in and out of stock all the time. If you jump up to $99 you can probably find an 80+ gold semi-modular with a longer warranty like a Seasonic Focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

sean10mm posted:

OK, so here's a baseline:

drat this is so cool of you to do. Thank you!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Doccykins posted:

Wattage wise the Founders Edition 3090 will pull 350W, the 3080 320W and they recommend a 750W PSU
The 3070 pulls 220W and a 650W PSU is recommended

220W is the same as current 2070s.

Existing 2070s and 2080s also recommend bigger PSUs that the system power consumption will ever reach. They do this because many people have lovely whitebox PSUs in their dells that can't produce 400W of 12V despite being labelled 500W. (Everything that is demanding of power is 12V these days.)

If you have a good PSU as recommended ITT, 550W will be completely fine for a 220W GPU because it can deliver a full 550W of pure 12V.

blue squares posted:

Also, things in general are very interchangeable, yes? So when I am going to buy, if the motherboard I wanted is out of stock, I can simply pick a similar one that is in stock and I am good? Or would I need to verify that nothing becomes incompatible?

I ask since I don’t know if COVID has disrupted supply of parts

Covid has done that, but stock on many things (mobos, ram) has returned to being pretty solid. The $1200 "free money" did as much damage as the virus actually.

Things are fairly interchangeable, within the obvious can't use intel CPU on AMD mobo zone. But not every mobo or ram stick is a good choice for one reason or another. Honestly you can ask ITT on the day you're ready to order if you're having any trouble and someone will be around who can look at stock and give you a suggestion.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Does my build need a new PSU for a 3080? I’ve got a 550w seasonic and a 7700k.

Might go FE, might wait for a EVGA.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/kinglyuser/saved/#view=pW3RvK

Edit: I’ll probably also add a few more case fans

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

Seeing 650 or 700w being recommended for 3080s.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kingnothing posted:

For a 3080 you'd be pushing it, it would probably handle it if your system is minimal on other stuff like HDDs. You'd be asking for like 500/550W though and the PSU would probably be spinning the fan hard.

It's a $700 video card, don't be tight.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Klyith posted:

Honestly you can ask ITT on the day you're ready to order if you're having any trouble and someone will be around who can look at stock and give you a suggestion.

Thanks.

I'm about to buy everything that sean suggested. I added a 1TB internal SSD (which I checked for compatibility using PC Parts Picker) and a copy of windows 10, so I hit my $1000 budget.

I can look into a new monitor at some point. I really like mine, but I don't know if there is a really noticeable difference when improving from a 1080p 60Hz monitor to something better.

I don't love the case, but its going to be sitting on my floor and not being lugged to LAN parties or something like that, especially with the pandemic, so I guess I shouldn't give a poo poo.

edit: actually looks like everything could arrive Friday except for the case. Good excuse to change it out for something that will arrive this week and let me use the weekend for setup and gaming!

blue squares fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 1, 2020

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Klyith posted:

For a 3080 you'd be pushing it, it would probably handle it if your system is minimal on other stuff like HDDs. You'd be asking for like 500/550W though and the PSU would probably be spinning the fan hard.

It's a $700 video card, don't be tight.

Fair. I can probably sell off my other parts and make it back.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

blue squares posted:

I'm about to buy everything that sean suggested. I added a 1TB internal SSD (which I checked for compatibility using PC Parts Picker) and a copy of windows 10, so I hit my $1000 budget.

Oh, don't buy a boxed windows 10. You can use a windows 7 key from an old computer if you've got one around. Or there are 2 goons in SAmart that resell bulk keys, get a Pro key from them for like $20. The keys are legit (reselling them may or may not be but that's their problem).

Also which SSD did you pick if you don't mind? PCpartspicker either goes for the cheapest stuff, some of which are not great choices, or sorts by popularity and puts samsung at the top. (Samsung are good but overpriced.)

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Deleted

redreader fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 1, 2020

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Klyith posted:

Oh, don't buy a boxed windows 10. You can use a windows 7 key from an old computer if you've got one around. Or there are 2 goons in SAmart that resell bulk keys, get a Pro key from them for like $20. The keys are legit (reselling them may or may not be but that's their problem).

Also which SSD did you pick if you don't mind? PCpartspicker either goes for the cheapest stuff, some of which are not great choices, or sorts by popularity and puts samsung at the top. (Samsung are good but overpriced.)

Thanks for the tip on Windows 10. I don't have an old key but I will use the goons.

I found this SSD using Newegg rather than partspicker. I just used PPP to verify it was compatible. https://www.newegg.com/intel-665p-series-1tb/p/N82E16820167469?Item=N82E16820167469.

I'm shopping for cases right now and then will pull the trigger. Feel free to link any suggestions! I just need something where everything will fit and where there are at least a couple of top front USB ports for convenience.

Picking a case feels really hard, but I know it should be simple. It should be one of those things you can't really gently caress up as long as your stuff fits.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 1, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

blue squares posted:

I found this SSD using Newegg rather than partspicker. I just used PPP to verify it was compatible. https://www.newegg.com/intel-665p-series-1tb/p/N82E16820167469?Item=N82E16820167469.

That is a QLC drive. QLC is fine, but they get slower as the drive fills up and IMO are less suited as a main system drive. My suggestion would be the WD SN550, which is IMO the best price/performance drive for a gaming desktop.

quote:

I'm shopping for cases right now and then will pull the trigger. Feel free to link any suggestions! I just need something where everything will fit and where there are at least a couple of top front USB ports for convenience.

The Phanteks that sean10mm picked is a good case for the money. Your mobo is a MATX one, so if you'd like something smaller you could get the thermaltake versa H18. Add a 140mm fan as well since that case only comes with 1 120mm fan (which means it'll come to the same price as the phanteks, but smaller).

edit: or since you have budget left, you could go for a more expensive case. A case can be a good investment, they last through multiple upgrades. Mine's over 10 years old and still fine. But I'd need to know what type of thing you like for that.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Klyith posted:

That is a QLC drive. QLC is fine, but they get slower as the drive fills up and IMO are less suited as a main system drive. My suggestion would be the WD SN550, which is IMO the best price/performance drive for a gaming desktop.

The Phanteks that sean10mm picked is a good case for the money. Your mobo is a MATX one, so if you'd like something smaller you could get the thermaltake versa H18. Add a 140mm fan as well since that case only comes with 1 120mm fan (which means it'll come to the same price as the phanteks, but smaller).

edit: or since you have budget left, you could go for a more expensive case. A case can be a good investment, they last through multiple upgrades. Mine's over 10 years old and still fine. But I'd need to know what type of thing you like for that.

Excellent, thank you! I switched out the SSD. I also stuck with the case. A second recommendation is good enough for me, and I looked at more photos to see that it does have USB ports on the top. Those weren't shown in the first few photos and I missed them.

Order placed!! I paid slightly extra to get everything here at the same time because I am a big impatient baby

I have been thinking about doing this for so long. I am really excited to get back into PC gaming. I'm going to get some frowns from my girlfriend for spending this money but it's mine and I can afford it so it's all good. Thank you for your help Klyith and Sean!

blue squares fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 1, 2020

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Okay so here's my final part list including a new power supply, which I did not cheap out on because I have had one explode before and it wasn't a fun time!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($125.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.95 @ Amazon)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($142.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $816.89
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-01 16:34 EDT-0400

I double checked that the RAM is on the QVL list for the motherboard, and PCPartPicker isn't showing me any compatibality issues, so I think I'm good to go.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

So here is my suggestion for a "I want more than a 3600" build now that we have some actual information about the RTX 3000 release. Still trying to keep a strong focus on bang for the buck.

Feeling good about that RTX 3070 now that we know it has an MSRP of $499 and the performance of a 2080Ti that had an MSRP of $1,200 lol

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($104.95 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($99.41 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-P14s redux-1200 PWM 64.92 CFM 140 mm Fan ($14.95 @ Amazon)
Custom: RTX 3070 ($500.00)
Total: $1314.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-01 16:21 EDT-0400

The more excessive version of the same build, which is probably closer to what I'll actually do in October-November because I'm dumb, looks like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($164.99 @ B&H)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($69.49 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($93.98 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 760 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Custom: SK hynix Gold P31 1TB PCIe NVMe Gen3 M.2 2280 Internal SSD - up to 3500MB/s ($134.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1493.23
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-01 16:22 EDT-0400

The D15S is massive overkill, but is also very quiet, is offset away from the PCIe slots to prevent compatibility issues and can probably be carried over to any future build. Also I always regret when I don't go bigger on a heat sink due to noise, thermals or both, but that's just me.
The extra beefiness of this board vs. the Bazooka is largely of theoretical value, but this is probably the cheapest path to big boi 12+2 phase VRMs and 6 layer PCBs.
Moving up to "ideal" for Ryzen 3600 CL16 RAM is actually kind of cheap... though it's also unlikely to do much IRL. So flip a coin here.
Meshify C is subjectively nicer and is the bling hater's choice for an airflow case.
This is an overkill PSU in terms of watts and efficiency on paper, but it's also compact, well reviewed and has nice solid black cables that are nice and flexible to make your life easier.
The value of a "higher end" PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 drive IRL is... debatable... for most users. The P31 looks to be at or near the top of the that class while being priced in the middle of the pack.

WampaLord posted:

Okay so here's my final part list including a new power supply, which I did not cheap out on because I have had one explode before and it wasn't a fun time!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($125.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks Eclipse P400A Digital ATX Mid Tower Case ($94.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($142.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $816.89
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-01 16:34 EDT-0400

I double checked that the RAM is on the QVL list for the motherboard, and PCPartPicker isn't showing me any compatibality issues, so I think I'm good to go.

You might want to consider the B550M Bazooka instead, the price is basically the same but you get the newer chipset with PCIe 4.0 on the video card slot & M.2 slot.

Unless I already suggested this and you didn't do it for some reason I forgot :haw:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

sean10mm posted:

You might want to consider the B550M Bazooka instead, the price is basically the same but you get the newer chipset with PCIe 4.0 on the video card slot & M.2 slot.

Unless I already suggested this and you didn't do it for some reason I forgot :haw:

This?
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/mJQfrH/msi-mag-b550m-bazooka-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-mag-b550m-bazooka

E: VVV Awesome, added to the build.

WampaLord fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 1, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Yup.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
Hello, I posted a couple times but never pulled the trigger, and I have a bigger budget to work with now. I was waiting for new tech to come out and for prices to stabilize, is it getting time to buy soon? Is there a good build I can snag from someone? Here's what I'm looking for:

What country are you in?: USA
What are you using the system for?: Gaming, streaming, and UE development. I'm not a "Pro" yet so I don't need top-of-the-line, but I'd like to start some real 3D graphics work.
What's your budget?: Whatever I need to hit these specs, this is going to be my new baby for a while. $2000+
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use?: Unreal Engine, Maya
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate?: My monitor is 1080p/144hz. I'm looking for medium-high settings on like Modern Warfare or something.

It's my first big PC and I'm out of my depth with regards to brands and putting it together and stuff so any suggestions are appreciated.

D1Sergo fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Sep 2, 2020

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

sean10mm posted:

The more excessive version of the same build, which is probably closer to what I'll actually do in October-November because I'm dumb, looks like this:

PCPartPicker Part List

Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($69.49 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Fractal Design Ion+ 760 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Custom: SK hynix Gold P31 1TB PCIe NVMe Gen3 M.2 2280 Internal SSD - up to 3500MB/s ($134.99 @ Amazon)

I might just steal this but get a 3080 instead.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Snagged this monitor on my brothers recommendation to go with my new build since he flinched when I said I was going to game on a 60Hz monitor.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The top one. The reason it looks different is that it's a reinforced slot to help with the added weight of larger GPUs.
Thanks! I thought that was right but like I said, it's been a long time and I figured it would be safest to ask.

spaceblancmange posted:

It's upside down :dadjoke:

I've got the micro version of this board coming so let me know how it goes.
PSU is also upside down for fan positioning. Beats the hell out of my current computer, which has a Xeon E5-1603 (Q2 2012 release) and a GTX1060.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Should I just get this?

https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-sf-850f14hg-850w/p/1HU-024C-00005

The price seems better than most PSU prices right now, and I’m not exactly looking to get hosed buying one for the 3080 I’m gonna get.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I have to take my PSU out to connect cables because my hands are too goddamn big :maddowns:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Kingnothing posted:

Should I just get this?

https://www.newegg.com/super-flower-leadex-iii-sf-850f14hg-850w/p/1HU-024C-00005

The price seems better than most PSU prices right now, and I’m not exactly looking to get hosed buying one for the 3080 I’m gonna get.

I'd bite the bullet and get a name brand for the PSU. Corsair/EVGA/Seasonic. Why risk it all with something that has just one review.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Fwiw Super Flower is one of the big PSU OEMs. Of the three most recommended brands only Seasoning actually manufacturers PSUs, EVGA and Corsair contract out. Id read up on the model first, but I wouldn't discount Super Flower as a brand.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kingnothing posted:

Should I just get this?

You could but you don't need an 850w PSU for a 300w GPU + sub-200W CPU.

Mu Zeta posted:

I'd bite the bullet and get a name brand for the PSU. Corsair/EVGA/Seasonic. Why risk it all with something that has just one review.

Superflower is an OEM that makes PSUs for other companies. They're fine.

Don't look at store reviews, look at real reviews. It's a decent PSU.

It's not what I'd do -- it's more watts than needed and given a few weeks before getting a 3080 I'd imagine I could find a platinum 650 for that price -- but it's fine.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I got real close to having to pull my Mobo out because I was having trouble getting the cpu power plug in due to its proximity to the top of my case.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I'm looking for a 5.25" front-panel USB thing that will give me a lot of USB ports. 5+ v3.0+ preferred. I found some on Amazon but the reviews are kinda lovely. Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular model that is decent?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sagebrush posted:

I'm looking for a 5.25" front-panel USB thing that will give me a lot of USB ports. 5+ v3.0+ preferred. I found some on Amazon but the reviews are kinda lovely. Does anyone have a recommendation for a particular model that is decent?

Lots of usb 3 isn't likely without a built-in hub and that's the part than might be crap.

Something like this should have zero possible quality issues since it is just ports that connect directly to your mobo headers. No hub or anything. Only 2 are USB 3 though.

Your mobo probably only has 2 USB 3 headers, so the max you're gonna get from that without a hub is 4 ports. If you really need more than that (wtf why) you should just get a well-reviewed powered desktop hub rather than a PC case accessory.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.
So I'm trying to piece together a $1000 (Ampere not included) build to house the 3070 my girlfriend is getting. This will be purely for gaming, nothing else really, which is why I went Intel since my experience with overclocking has been fairly good. We don't plan on getting 4K monitors, we're pretty happy with 1440/144hz atm.

CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor ($192.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z390-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($133.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($139.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: Corsair iCUE 220T RGB Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.00 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx White (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($150.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1016.82

How does this look? If we decide to put a 3080 in this thing, will that CPU bottleneck it? Also, I know Ryzen is hot right now, but is there any particular reason the Ryzen 5 equivalent would be better than this i5? Thanks Goons!

Shogunner fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 2, 2020

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Shogunner posted:

How does this look? If we decide to put a 3080 in this thing, will that CPU bottleneck it? Also, I know Ryzen is hot right now, but is there any particular reason the Ryzen 5 equivalent would be better than this i5? Thanks Goons!

The 3080 will be bottlenecked by PCIE 3.0. The 9600K has no SMT and will be the first wave of 6 core chips to struggle with next gen titles. This is a bad buy. I was ambilviant about Intel vs AMD up till a week ago when Hardware Unboxed showed the PCIE 4.0 matters even with a 5700XT in some titles. If you are doing intel, wait for Rocket Lake. Otherwise Ryzen is now a must. Top end Ampere will almost certainly lose performance with PCIE 3.0

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

sean10mm posted:

So here is my suggestion for a "I want more than a 3600" build now that we have some actual information about the RTX 3000 release. Still trying to keep a strong focus on bang for the buck.

Feeling good about that RTX 3070 now that we know it has an MSRP of $499 and the performance of a 2080Ti that had an MSRP of $1,200 lol

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 34 CO CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B550M BAZOOKA Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($99.41 @ Amazon)
Total: $1314.20
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-01 16:21 EDT-0400

PCPartPicker Part List

The D15S is massive overkill, but is also very quiet, is offset away from the PCIe slots to prevent compatibility issues and can probably be carried over to any future build. Also I always regret when I don't go bigger on a heat sink due to noise, thermals or both, but that's just me.
The extra beefiness of this board vs. the Bazooka is largely of theoretical value, but this is probably the cheapest path to big boi 12+2 phase VRMs and 6 layer PCBs.
Moving up to "ideal" for Ryzen 3600 CL16 RAM is actually kind of cheap... though it's also unlikely to do much IRL. So flip a coin here.
Meshify C is subjectively nicer and is the bling hater's choice for an airflow case.
This is an overkill PSU in terms of watts and efficiency on paper, but it's also compact, well reviewed and has nice solid black cables that are nice and flexible to make your life easier.
The value of a "higher end" PCIe 3.0 x4 M.2 drive IRL is... debatable... for most users. The P31 looks to be at or near the top of the that class while being priced in the middle of the pack.

Quoting this so I can find it in a month when I start to build it exactly!

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

MikeC posted:

The 3080 will be bottlenecked by PCIE 3.0. The 9600K has no SMT and will be the first wave of 6 core chips to struggle with next gen titles. This is a bad buy. I was ambilviant about Intel vs AMD up till a week ago when Hardware Unboxed showed the PCIE 4.0 matters even with a 5700XT in some titles. If you are doing intel, wait for Rocket Lake. Otherwise Ryzen is now a must. Top end Ampere will almost certainly lose performance with PCIE 3.0

Ah drat, okay. We'll probably go Ryzen 5 for her then. How's this?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($208.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard ($127.99 @ Walmart)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($139.99 @ Corsair)
Storage: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ Best Buy)
Case: NZXT H510 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case ($149.88 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx White (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($150.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1067.81

Also, Intel is so confusing now. So Comet Lake is their latest right? If my rig (with a 3080) needed the highest single core overclocked performance within reason to play a shittily optimized racing sim in VR, would a 10700K be a good purchase? Or do Ampere owners really have to wait for Rocket Lake?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Wait for benchmarks, but probably also wait for rocket lake being the results of said benchmarks.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Klyith posted:

You could but you don't need an 850w PSU for a 300w GPU + sub-200W CPU.

Superflower is an OEM that makes PSUs for other companies. They're fine.

Don't look at store reviews, look at real reviews. It's a decent PSU.

It's not what I'd do -- it's more watts than needed and given a few weeks before getting a 3080 I'd imagine I could find a platinum 650 for that price -- but it's fine.

Even if I stuff like 5 3.5” hdds and a shitload of fans 850w wouldn’t be worth it?

I’d be worried about 650 not cutting it, and I can’t find at 750w that are even the same price, let alone cheaper.

Supposedly this is the defacto PSU quality list, which puts this particular unit at a good buy

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

What's the price delta / what's PCPP calling the power draw? COVID has hosed up PSU pricing but there isn't much harm in overspeccing. All of them are below their efficiency ratings at idle and the entire 80+ curve is pretty dang flat, esp for the values at play. But paying more for untapped potential is just wasted money too.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
PSA, for those who don't already know this: It is SUPER loving NOT SAFE to reuse modular power cables between different PSUs, sometimes even within the same brand. I just upgraded from an EVGA 650 GQ to an 850 GA and reused the cables to save time with the swap and destroyed my SSD. Fortunately it looks like everything else has survived intact, I think only the SATA cables were different. I wouldn't even care all that much about the SSD, all my important data was on HDDs and most of my games use steam cloud for saves. But Underrail does not and I lost my 50+ hour save :negative:

Also a few hours after UPS dropped off my new parts including an RTX 2070 super, Nvidia announced the release dates of the RTX 30 series. Oh well. And one of the drives in my server zfs pool is having issues. I have not had a good day.

EDIT: And I just checked a PSU calculator and I probably didn't even need to upgrade FFS

SavageMessiah fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 2, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kingnothing posted:

Even if I stuff like 5 3.5” hdds and a shitload of fans 850w wouldn’t be worth it?

I’d be worried about 650 not cutting it, and I can’t find at 750w that are even the same price, let alone cheaper.

Supposedly this is the defacto PSU quality list, which puts this particular unit at a good buy

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

If you've got 5 HDDs that deff rules out a premium 550W, that's all. If you're worried you can look at reviews that measure total system power draw: a 2080 ti with a -X 140W cpu barely goes over 450W. The 3080 is adding like 40W over the 2080ti. A good 650W will easily cover it.

I think that tier list is dumb for a number of reasons, but I'll say that the superflower is a good buy for 850w. The objection was only that 850w is overkill and that you can get 10 year units (of less wattage) for the same price.

In stock is a different question OTOH, and if you want to buy now that may the thing that's available. It looks like there's been another run on PSUs, probably nvidia announcing it make everyone buy all the 6 & 750s. But I'm seeing the corsair RMX 750 at corsair (same price, 10 year), the corsair 750 TXM at amazon (cheaper, 7 year), and an evga G5 650 (same price, 10 year) at newegg.

Too big a PSU doesn't do any harm. You super don't need to get twice the watts that your system uses, that advice was last current like 15 years ago. But there's nothing bad about it other than money.

SavageMessiah posted:

PSA, for those who don't already know this: It is SUPER loving NOT SAFE to reuse modular power cables between different PSUs, sometimes even within the same brand.

gently caress dude. It is in bold all caps in the OP, but I really should have made a huge blingee text gif.

EVGA is one of the few that does that, probably because they cannot stop introducing new models and they buy from every OEM. Still sucks.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

I'm pretty sure 90+% percent of people don't read the whole OP because a. OPs are always out of date and b. its loving huge, but all of it is relevant information to someone. Also, I still need to add Intel 10th gen...

Proptip: If your OP is going to be very large, split it into multiple posts, makes the whole editing thing much simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Klyith posted:

If you've got 5 HDDs that deff rules out a premium 550W, that's all. If you're worried you can look at reviews that measure total system power draw: a 2080 ti with a -X 140W cpu barely goes over 450W. The 3080 is adding like 40W over the 2080ti. A good 650W will easily cover it.

I think that tier list is dumb for a number of reasons, but I'll say that the superflower is a good buy for 850w. The objection was only that 850w is overkill and that you can get 10 year units (of less wattage) for the same price.

In stock is a different question OTOH, and if you want to buy now that may the thing that's available. It looks like there's been another run on PSUs, probably nvidia announcing it make everyone buy all the 6 & 750s. But I'm seeing the corsair RMX 750 at corsair (same price, 10 year), the corsair 750 TXM at amazon (cheaper, 7 year), and an evga G5 650 (same price, 10 year) at newegg.

Too big a PSU doesn't do any harm. You super don't need to get twice the watts that your system uses, that advice was last current like 15 years ago. But there's nothing bad about it other than money.

Not trying to split hairs here, because I do really appreciate the advice. But the superflower is a 10 year. Is the RMX line better build then the superflower? Because if they’re both 10 year gold and basically the same thing I don’t see why I’d go 100w lower for the same price.