Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Tato posted:

Hayes had been on WCW as recently as Jan 1994. He started as Dok Hendrix on April 14, 1995. I assume it was one of those normal Vince "No one cares about southern wrestling or knows who the gently caress Michael Hayes is anyway" things

I remember Vince Russo showing up on WWF Mania and getting all kayfabe-breaking about "You aren't Dok Hendrix! You're Michael Hayes!" and Hendrix suddenly got all serious and threatening and told him, "You don't want any of Michael Hayes, believe me."

Red posted:

Hi, here are some random questions:

1. Has anyone listened to this album? On purpose? How bad is it? I remember seeing it at THE WALL, and I was initially excited, because I thought it was theme music. Nope, it's wrestlers singing, for some godforsaken reason. Even as a 12 year old, I had no interest in whatever the hell this was:

Sounds to me like you weren't READY! for the SURVIVOR SERIES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Smoking Crow posted:

that album was produced my mike stock and pete waterman, 2/3s of the super producers stock, aitken and waterman who you know for writing and producing never gonna give you up

Not to mention early career Kylie Minogue. Felt like half the UK singles charts when I was 6 were Stock Aitken Waterman productions.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

MorrisBae posted:

Bruce Prichard talked about it recently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH7gbqLZiVQ

tldr - Vince hated Michael Hayes' long hair and his name, and when he was brought to Titan Towers for his tryout, they had a barber in Vince's office to cut his hair on the spot

After they cut his hair and were brainstorming names, someone commented that he looked like Tonight Show bandleader Doc Severinsen, and Hayes chose the name "Hendrix" after Jimi Hendrix.

Vince would 100% have renamed Flair and Dusty if he didn't know the crowd would immediately poo poo on it. (Not to mention the men themselves would likely have walked at the suggestion)

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Gavok posted:

I remember Vince Russo showing up on WWF Mania and getting all kayfabe-breaking about "You aren't Dok Hendrix! You're Michael Hayes!" and Hendrix suddenly got all serious and threatening and told him, "You don't want any of Michael Hayes, believe me."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lVW52EVdrM

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Red posted:

4. I just caught that Owen recycled the K-Driller/seated Tombstone for a thing with Dan Severn that I've forgotten about. How was that received at the time, and why would they do this, given Austin was the biggest star in the company?

I think even Austin has admitted he thought Owen was going for a regular Tombstone when Owen called the move and only realized “oh gently caress I’m too low” as Owen dropped - and some people have suggested that Owen was going to go for a regular tombstone, but realized he couldn’t do that with Taker in the main event and switched to the sit-out at the last second, not aware of where Austin’s head was.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Austin dropped Chono on his head in that exact same spot. A sitout tombstone. Austin almost certainly called that spot for some idiotic reason.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Look at the Spaldings of that guy!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I'm glad everyone else is here defending that wonderful (terrible) album because all of the words to every song still live with me, too. For a while in my twenties I even had part of that Hacksaw song as my alarm clock.

It's a masterpiece.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

Lamuella posted:

Even disregarding the storyline alignment of his character, Jeff Hardy was objectively a heel at Victory Road 2011

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victory_Road_(2011)

This may be a bit of a weird question, but I have always been curious about what he was on here, if anyone knows or has a good guess. It doesn't really matter but I just find drugs and addiction and such interesting.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Monkeycheese posted:

This may be a bit of a weird question, but I have always been curious about what he was on here, if anyone knows or has a good guess. It doesn't really matter but I just find drugs and addiction and such interesting.

Opioids and painkillers?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
My favorite part of that Superstars album is that you can tell it's a bunch of British people making it because the women singing the chorus for the Macho Man song go "he's a Maaaah-cho Man". If only the early 1990s had also included gimmicks like The Walking Advertisement and Zed-Man Tom Zenk and Hands of Aluminium Steve Keirn it could have been even more British.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

One of my favorite things about that album was how the Hacksaw song's music video showed clips from two matches to illustrate Hacksaw overcoming conflict. One was a match with Papa Shango, which, sure, that's fine. The other was Yokozuna, where he was able to be the first guy to knock Yokozuna over.

It just ignored that it was followed by Hacksaw taking the worst beating of his career to the point of being hospitalized and written off TV.

bartok
May 10, 2006

Was there ever any non-Hornswoggle plans for who the Anonymous Raw GM was supposed to be?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Kennedy?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

one vic venom article from wwf magazine that always stuck out to me was his two page long rant at canadian border patrol detaining him over finding diet pills and a shoehorn in his luggage and his insistence he would never enter canada ever again. i am pretty sure this was just a fake article to stoke the flames of the hart foundation angle but it was like the only thing i remembered, along with that one cover that had owen hart's head on stone cold steve austin's mantle.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

bartok posted:

Was there ever any plans?

not in the last 5 years, perhaps earlier

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

The instrumental version of Wrestlemania was too good to be given to Linda McMahon as a theme song.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

oh and a raw magazine that had a pictoral history of the tag team championship with lots of msg and spectrum center pictures of old matches from the 70s and early 80s to the mid 90s. it also had that spread of sable that seemed like it was in every issue of RAW and an interview with paul e about ecw.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bartok posted:

Was there ever any plans for who the Anonymous Raw GM was supposed to be?

sarah palin at one point.

really.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

forkboy84 posted:

Not to mention early career Kylie Minogue. Felt like half the UK singles charts when I was 6 were Stock Aitken Waterman productions.

I'm sorry, I know Kylie minogue as cammy in the street fighter movie

And street fighter: the movie: the game by extension I guess

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Smoking Crow posted:

that album was produced my mike stock and pete waterman, 2/3s of the super producers stock, aitken and waterman who you know for writing and producing never gonna give you up
SAW was also responsible for dance music era Bananarama (Venus, I Heard a Rumour, etc.). While Cowell was responsible for the album, he's always been a label-side producer, not a Brian Eno/Daniel Lanois/Nile Rodgers/George Martin/Phil Spector/etc. type, the producer in the studio. Stock and Waterman were the producers in the studio.

It's a *weird* album. Whereas The Wrestling Album was a comedic novelty album for the most part and Piledriver was mostly entrance music, this was a weird celebrity album the type of which regularly succeeded in the U.K. but not in the U.S. And the session singers had such strong accents that Randy Savage is repeatedly referred to as "the match-oh man."

And how about "ARE YOU READAAAAAYYYYY FOR THE SURVIVOR SERIES?" being Jimmy Garvin in his try-out standup interview from '92? (Gene's "WHO WILL SURVIVE?" is from the same segment.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESYy0vZWgIk

The Cameo posted:

I think even Austin has admitted he thought Owen was going for a regular Tombstone when Owen called the move and only realized “oh gently caress I’m too low” as Owen dropped - and some people have suggested that Owen was going to go for a regular tombstone, but realized he couldn’t do that with Taker in the main event and switched to the sit-out at the last second, not aware of where Austin’s head was.

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Austin dropped Chono on his head in that exact same spot. A sitout tombstone. Austin almost certainly called that spot for some idiotic reason.
Here's how Austin explained the spot being called in his memoir:

So the day came and I was talking to Owen in the back, and we were throwing a few things together for the finish of the title match.

“I said to him, “Well, what about if we do that thing where I come in for the elbow and you rotate your back around and pick me up upside down and give me the Tombstone Piledriver? Then you cover me and I’ll kick out right before the three-count.” I added, “Now, Owen, I don’t trust just anybody to do a piledriver to me, but you can do it, right?”

“And he said, “Yeah.”

“I said, “You’re going to go to your knees, right?”

And he said, “No, I’m going to drop to my rear end.”

“Then I said, “Well, you need to go to your knees, right?”

And he said, “No, I drop to my rear end.”

That’s two times I said that. And I was thinking, I’m dealing with Owen Hart, brother of Bret Hart and son of Stu Hart. I guess he knows what he’s doing. He’s ribbing me about dropping to his rear end instead of his knees.”

“Owen was a hell of a technician. When he assured me I’d be okay,I took his word that I’d be okay. I didn’t think twice about it. I had mentioned my concerns to him twice. But in an inverted Tombstone Piledriver, done the way Undertaker does it, it’s always knees, not rear end.

“So I figured, Owen’s got it, he knows my concern. I had asked him twice about it, and that was the big spot in the match.

When I came out that night, boy, people were ready to see Stone Cold Steve Austin do the Stone Cold Stunner on Owen for that title belt. The match went along and it was a good match, the right style of match for that year. It was a solid wrestling match. We were going through some things near the end that could be finishes, but they weren’t. The crowd was really into all the false finishes. After that “we wrestled for another five or six minutes, the idea being to lead into a Stunner.

Eventually, he set up the piledriver spot. I spun Owen around and he landed on his feet. Then he picked me up, upside down, and WHAM—he dropped straight to his rear end. There was simply no room for me to protect my head.

[…]

Sometimes I wonder how it could have happened. As good a technical wrestler as Owen was, he should have known he needed to drop to his knees, not his rear end, to protect my neck.

I knew Owen as the consummate all-time ribber. He was always joking with people.

I’m not saying this deal was a rib. I’m just saying he was always ribbing people and as good-natured as he was, he never maliciously did anything to hurt anyone. Owen was all about fun, so I couldn’t figure out why he did it that way.

In the book, Jim Ross also writes: "Honestly, I was surprised that they were even doing a Tombstone Piledriver, because no one does it better than Undertaker, as it is one of the Deadman’s signature moves. Wrestlers usually don’t, or shouldn’t, use other talents’ finishing moves for their own high spots, but that’s another story for another time."

Also: Contrary to popular belief and seemingly working against all common sense, the Chono thing is a pure coincidence, even though both involve Austin and the same uncommon piledriver variation. He explained it when Michael Schiavello interviewed him on his AXS TV show, "The Voice Versus," in 2013: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBmYq05u3No&t=2159s

Basically, the Chono injury was kayfabed from him during the Japanese tour, and nobody told him after the fact, so he had no idea about it until the "Austin didn't want to do the K-Driller because he learned his lesson from the Chono injury " urban legend got back to him years later. He apologized to Chono, and seemingly felt really bad that he went at least five years (probably more) without knowing that he had badly hurt someone in a match, but I can't think of any reason he'd have to lie about this particular part of the story. If anything, the Chono thing provides for a neater story than "Owen was insistent on dropping to his rear end from a tombstone setup and nobody knows why." I'm curious why Austin was already skittish about piledrivers, though; sure, his neck was already banged up at the time, but if it's a standard tombstone or standard piledriver, it's generally pretty safe in the hands of a trained professional. The worst piledriver injuries were all from either reverse (Owen-Austin) or inverted (Scorpio-Taz) tombstones

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
How do Americans say macho, more like "marcho" as opposed to "matcho"? I guess I never thought about the difference until now.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

mah-cho

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it is marcho essentially. just not to americans

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

bartok posted:

Was there ever any non-Hornswoggle plans for who the Anonymous Raw GM was supposed to be?

I think Kevin Nash was confirmed by a former writer, which makes sense because he ended up coming back to WWE about a year or so after the Anonymous GM angle wrapped up? Another one I don't think was ever brought up on any dirt sheets or rumors or anything, but I recall people wondering if it'd be Michael Cole since he was doing his heel gimmick around that time if I recall.

Other than that, I pretty much believe there was no actual other option than Nash/Hornsoggle, which is hilarious. Kind of insane given how they have like a million writers on staff and they settled upon leaving it open ended and filling in the blanks later.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Michael Cole made sense, because along with being a heel he became a bit of a toady for the imaginary GM and was also weirdly protective of the laptop. It wasn't out of the question that he was emailing himself or getting someone else to email in when he was unavailable.

I started following wrestling again around that time and the fact that it became increasingly obvious that they weren't seriously interested in actually resolving the angle was one of the big signifiers of how bad WWE had gotten to me. IT'S ME AUSTIN made absolutely no sense but it least it played a part in the story.

Hedgehog Pie fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 2, 2020

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I think 90% of the time they come up with the blanks later. I was working at WWE the night after the nexus debuted and they didn’t have a name for the stable. We were all pitching on it, glad they didn’t pick “ The nucleus“.

Huntman
Apr 22, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Michael Cole made sense, because along with being a heel he became a bit of a toady for the imaginary GM and was also weirdly protective of the laptop. It wasn't out of the question that he was emailing himself or getting someone else to email in when he was unavailable.

I started following wrestling again around that time and the fact that it became increasingly obvious that they weren't seriously interested in actually resolving the angle was one of the big signifiers of how bad WWE had gotten to me. IT'S ME AUSTIN made absolutely no sense but it least it played a part in the story.

Now that you mention it, I do remember him being protective of the laptop. I think they also started a bit where the GM would sign off with someone's catchphrase too.

I don't think there would've been anyone who would've been a satisfying reveal I suppose, so why not Hornswoggle I guess

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Literally the only reveal that made any sense and worked on any level was Michael Cole, as the ultimate finale to heel Cole, being the laptop GM.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

davidbix posted:

Stone Cold stuff

I'm willing to take everything he said at face value, because the idea that he has this conversation with Owen where he repeatedly asks how he's going to do the tombstone, is repeatedly given the same consistent answer (rear end, not knees), acknowledges that Owen was a consummate professional (and therefore would have no reason to go to his knees when Taker was coming in the main event and would be stealing his exact finisher rather than doing the variant which is more respectful), then goes up for the move, ignores the warnings, takes the move wrong, and lays there thinking "how could Owen rib me like this?" is just hilarious. It's that meme of the guy shoving the stick in his bike and then falling down and blaming the stick.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Hedgehog Pie posted:

How do Americans say macho, more like "marcho" as opposed to "matcho"? I guess I never thought about the difference until now.
Americans (or at least anyone talking about Randy Savage or the Village People song) will say "Macho" as if it rhymed with "botch-oh".
The back-up singers were rhyming it with "batch-oh"

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember the Wrestlemania album coming up long long ago in the previous thread:

triplexpac posted:

If that's the one off Wrestlemania: The Album, it's because it was produced by Simon Cowell and some other Brits who didn't know anything about wrestling. They were given a list of WWF terms or something, and just threw poo poo together from there.

Why no-one spoke up or adjusted anything... well that's a question I can't answer.

Skinty McEdger posted:

Simon Cowell is an idiot. Thats basically the entire explination for the entire wrestlemania album.

To expand, he and the other people who wrote the album did so with no knowledge of wrestling and had a crib sheet of references they had to throw in. So not knowing anything about the product they just made up things as they went along and threw in samples. Bret Hart for example has a love song because his surname sounds like heart.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I always remember thinking the Bret song was about his sister getting married to Davey Boy Smith & why does this sound so incestuous, that's weird?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I was wondering how we got this far without the Bret song. I always figured it was an attempt to make him like an 80s idol that appealed to teen girls or something

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

forkboy84 posted:

I always remember thinking the Bret song was about his sister getting married to Davey Boy Smith & why does this sound so incestuous, that's weird?
I remember thinking this, too, and looked the song and lyrics up. It's that he says "but anyway, our loves dying" and it kind of sounds like he says "Diana."

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
I like that the song “wrestlemania” starts with asking if anyone is ready for survivor series.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
THE TOWER OF POWER TOO SWEET TO BE SOUR FUNKY LIKE A MONKEY OOOOOOOOOOOHH YEEEEEEEAAAAHH

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

I think my favorite thing is that the Tatanka song is titled “Tatanka Native American”.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
TATANKA
BUFFALO
TATANKA
BUFFALO

I got Native American blood in my veins and I fight
IN THE WORLD WRESTLING FEDERATION

I listened to that album way too much as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

THE TOWER OF POWER TOO SWEET TO BE SOUR FUNKY LIKE A MONKEY OOOOOOOOOOOHH YEEEEEEEAAAAHH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMbcOC5dS5k