Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

devmd01 posted:

Same. It’s very satisfying to custom fit foam for tools.

Headon! Apply directly to the forehead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
I am loving the project updates and the fantastic shop/garages!

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

:v:
Switchblade Switcharoo
We currently have a rooftop tent mounted on our truck, and we really like the setup. However we are starting to get tired of having to climb up so high to get into it, and also find it annoying to have to break it down any time we want to use the truck during the day.

So I started thinking what a little trailer built around the roof tent could look like. After a lot of brainstorming I put together a 4x8 Harbor Freight 1720 trailer and now I am working to finalize my design before I start ordering materials.

Main points for the design:

- 2" steel square tubing
- alupoly / dibond panel skin
- rear garage with space for folding bikes
- middle compartment with shelf storage for camping gear
- front storage area for tools / trailer stuff
- tent acts as roof of the trailer

Some things I am not sure about :

- what gauge steel tubing to use? I want a sturdy platform for the tent that can handle the weight of the tent (165 lbs) and multiple people moving around inside.
- weight? I don't think I will get close to the limit of the trailer, but I still want it to be easy enough to move around by hand. I have never owned a trailer of any size so I don't have much reference here.

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s

marshmonkey posted:

Main points for the design:

- 2" steel square tubing
- alupoly / dibond panel skin
- rear garage with space for folding bikes
- middle compartment with shelf storage for camping gear
- front storage area for tools / trailer stuff
- tent acts as roof of the trailer

Some things I am not sure about :

- what gauge steel tubing to use? I want a sturdy platform for the tent that can handle the weight of the tent (165 lbs) and multiple people moving around inside.
- weight? I don't think I will get close to the limit of the trailer, but I still want it to be easy enough to move around by hand. I have never owned a trailer of any size so I don't have much reference here.

From the manual

Harbor Freight posted:

Drive at moderate speeds. This will place less strain on your tow vehicle and trailer. Trailer instability (sway) is more likely to occur as speed increases. Do not exceed 45 miles per hour when towing the Trailer.

It might be ok at interstate speeds but on 12" tires I wouldn't plan to go too far.

You'll want some trailer jacks to help level it and keep it from tipping if the weight is too far forward or back.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I've had that trailer. It's not great, and yeah, don't take it on the freeway. Spend a few extra bucks and get a solid bodied trailer instead. Not sure where you're at but if you have Tractor Supply in your area, their Carry-On trailers are good and solid and you can either keep the ramp on the back or take it off, but you'll be starting from something MUCH nicer and safer.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I have that trailer as well and never felt comfortable enough to take it on the highway, good to know HF feels the same way! It's great for trips to home depot for sheet goods which is all I really expected out of a $250 trailer.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
In my research it's one of the go-to trailers for a lot of DIY teardrop / small camper builds, apparently almost all trailer manufacturers put a 45 mph disclaimer on their trailers for legal liability reasons. I've read a lot of threads that ask "how fast do you go with this trailer" and all the responses are "normal highway speeds", reporting that the bearings are fine, don't even get warm.

*edit* the carry-on trailer speed rating is 55

I've also seen expensive aluminum trailers definitely intended for highway use with a 45 rating.

I'll do more research but I haven't come across any red flags about this trailer in all the DIY camper trailer forums / threads I have been crawling through.

marshmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Aug 25, 2020

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Just be careful you aren't getting snowed by people whose priority is making a DIY camper on the cheap, as opposed to making a DIY camper that's safe to use. You're far more likely to find the "success story" articles/threads than the ones that say "I tried to do this and the trailer collapsed on the highway", just because of how the Internet tends to prioritize content.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

And then if someone goes wrong and your insurance company can figure out how fast you were going and the speed rating on the trailer and welp sorry we can't cover anything.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
On the weight topic, don't exceed your total weight limit on the trailer and pay attention to balance. You want maybe 100lbs of tongue weight (check specs of hitch and poo poo too) so that the trailer wants to stay on the ball, but you can still pick the trailer up by the tongue and wheel it around. Ideally its a one person job, but if not don't go heavier that two people can lift and stumble around with - hard to get more than that on the tongue at once.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Just gonna poke on in the reinforce DO NOT USE THAT TRAILER FOR THIS.

It's a fine thing for around town light loads, but it's not a real trailer. Do not use something with 12" tires for anything more than occasional use, certainly not highways, and definitely not actually traveling far from home.

Proper trailer are not all the expensive depending on where you live. I'm in PA and we have like 4 or 5 manufacturers here that would be happy to customer one of their standard designs to as much or as little of it as you want/need. It will come with real axles and wheels on it. The kinds of things that you can run at pretty much any highway speed.

marshmonkey
Dec 5, 2003

I was sick of looking
at your stupid avatar
so
have a cool cat instead.

Switchblade Switcharoo
Welp, guess I will have to do some reconsidering about how to proceed... anyone in San Diego want a harbor freight trailer?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

The Dave posted:

And then if someone goes wrong and your insurance company can figure out how fast you were going and the speed rating on the trailer and welp sorry we can't cover anything.

Your insurance doesn't care unless you intentionally caused an accident/were driving a getaway car/were involved in a race.

Insurance covers stupid, but it doesn't cover intentional.

You will absolutely be found at fault if another party/insurance is involved though. You can also expect a non-renewal notice to be coming swiftly after that adjuster submits the claim, cause they don't have to keep insuring stupid.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?
I finally made the button/activity board for my kids that I've wanted to make for years. Only the top is done and the electronics aren't hooked up, but it looks nice!

I don't think it's half-bad for a first attempt at really making something. (I had made a table for my Shapeoko a few years ago, but it was bad. Really bad.)

It's also my first real attempt at spray-painting something and I think it's passable.

And what it looked like before painting next to it's inspiration.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What will it do?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

BigFactory posted:

What will it do?
Glow, flashy lights, probably some Simon or something once I figure out Arduino/RasPi. Right now it's a decently made box.

Probably going to put something that spins on the side, some locks, switches, toggles, a door-stop spring, I dunno. It's for my toddler mostly, a "busy board" but in cube form.

EDIT: I had thought of making the top kind of a two-person MAME controller so my kids could play games on the TV, but my wife convinced me this would be better for now. At least the top is removable if I decide differently/the kids needs change.

Fire Storm fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 28, 2020

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
Had a block of resin sitting there for like 2 years cause i wasn't really happy with the pour. Turned it into a ball on the lathe. Came out about as exciting as the block sitting there but not bad for a sphere.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
All I can think about :

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
My toddler loves this thing - if you need some inspiration

Only registered members can see post attachments!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Rapulum_Dei posted:

My toddler loves this thing - if you need some inspiration

May I also recommend the barn?

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Little advent calendar type cubby holes behind each door would be cool.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
I don't have kids, but that strikes me as the last sort of training I would want to give to a toddler.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
My toddler nephew has something like this that is grandpa made him. It's literally just a bunch of stuff from the hardware store screwed to a piece of plywood. Hours of entertainment.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/730825477/busy-board-toddler-montessori-toys

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

armorer posted:

I don't have kids,
Those who do understand it’s what’s good for them, even when it’s not for you.

They’re a canny foe, there’s no doubt about it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

armorer posted:

I don't have kids, but that strikes me as the last sort of training I would want to give to a toddler.

Opening locks or playing arcade games?

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

BigFactory posted:

Opening locks or playing arcade games?

I was mostly joking, but I was talking about the locks toy. That's a great way to teach your kid how to bypass all of your childproofing efforts. Granted, you can still ensure that there's nothing to harm them behind latched cabinet doors. Also, while I have no kids of my own, I have friends and famly with kids and understand that young minds need that sort of stimulation.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I kinda knew you weren’t I hope it didn’t come across as too snide:, it is a pain in the proverbials when they figure how to open
Doors
Cupboards
Drawers
The bathroom
Phones
Dishwashers
Child locks
Seatbelts

But sure it’s all good fun.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Rapulum_Dei posted:

I kinda knew you weren’t I hope it didn’t come across as too snide:, it is a pain in the proverbials when they figure how to open
Doors
Cupboards
Drawers
The bathroom
Phones
Dishwashers
Child locks
Seatbelts

But sure it’s all good fun.

Yeah totally, no worries. I helped my good friend child proof a hunting cabin, which is full of things that can kill adults, let alone toddlers. That was a good time.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I work in a metal shop 3 times a week helping students and decided I needed a small hammer to knock things into place on the lathe and in vices

It was a fairly rushed project because I have to steal time away on my lunch break and inbetween assisting students

In addition this is my first time using a lathe since high school (and the thing is clapped out to heck) and I don't have the authority or know how to adjust it, and my first time cutting an external thread with a die set

so there are definitely flaws

However this is my build

The paring tool on the lathe is not sharp enough to cut steel at the moment so I opted not to add the ridges

Jestery fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 1, 2020

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I read "instructing students" as "indenting students"

Good looking hammer!

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

CancerCakes posted:

I read "instructing students" as "indenting students"

Good looking hammer!

Well now he has that option

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

canyoneer posted:

May I also recommend the barn?

Always been a fan of this one

Sound_man
Aug 25, 2004
Rocking to the 80s
Remember that lamp Bad Munki made a few pages ago?

I got inspired and needed a project to play around with drawing in 3D in Vectorworks so I made a more complicated version of his lamp. My woodworking skills are ten years old and from set construction so having to care about more than an 1/8" was a new challenge. I'd like to make another pair to just to prove to myself I learned from my mistakes. I'm still waiting on plexi to test fit everything and then glue it up and stain it.

Plans can be found here. I'm happy to switch hosts to something better but that was the first PDF host I found.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Wow, I'm like, famous.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Bad Munki posted:

Wow, I'm like, famous.

holy poo poo, you're like, the guy!!!!

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
dude

I'm kidding, I've had it for years

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I've been eyeing some of that trendy preserved moss art for above my desk for a while but the nice looking stuff is expensive (multiple thousands of dollars at the size I wanted). Decent preserved plants/moss aren't cheap, but I thought I could make something that looked good for a lot less. I guess this is kind of half DIY and half CC but whatever.

I started out by making a simple model of the space in Tinkercad so I could figure out how big I wanted it to be. After messing around I settled on a pattern of hexagons because I liked the way it fit the wall. My initial plan had been to build the hexagons but I found some premade for not much more than it would cost me to build them (with the bonus of avoiding all of the tedious bullshit involved)—they were a slightly different size than I had initially planned but this is the layout I ended up with after adjusting.

So I ordered the hexagons, a bunch of different kinds of moss, some wood, some tree bark, a bunch of different kinds of preserved ferns, a few other small plants, and some preserved mushrooms. I picked up a case of floral foam, thin floral wire, and floral pins at the local wholesaler.

They decided to ship the 14 hexagons to me in no less than 6 separate packages, so over a few weeks unfinished pine hexagons and a bunch of other poo poo started trickling in.

I went with three different colors of stain—two of them went on very easily and nicely and the third one was a huge pain in the rear end that I had to coat a bunch of times and then apply another stain on top of to make it look alright. After the stain was dry I buffed a wax-based finishing oil into all of them.

After the finish was set I attached hanging hardware (little H-shaped cleats I don't know the actual name of) to the back of each hexagon with a little jig to make sure they were all in the same place and glued a couple of sheets of foam-core into the bottom of each. I laid out the wood, bark, and hexagons on a drop cloth in the middle of my living room (the green tape was to remind me which way the hanging hardware was facing).

Using a little hand saw I cut all of the wood and bark to fit in place, which was tedious and made my arm sore. I ended up adjusting the arrangement while I was cutting as you'll see later.

For each box I carved floral foam to support and work with any wood/bark. For the bark specifically I carved the foam to be shaped like whatever tree I was going to pretend the bark was part of and then inlaid the bark into the foam so it was flush. Carving floral foam is really easy with a kitchen knife, utility knife, and sand paper but it also makes this awful scratchy dust poo poo.

Once the foam carving was done I glued in the foam, then the wood and moss. The ferns/plants went in last. I don't have a ton of in-progress shots but here's one of my living room plastered in bags of moss and plants and poo poo. I ended up laying all of the moss out on garbage bags so I could see what I was working with after I sorted it out.

The plants with strong enough stems (it sometimes took a bit of force to get the ends past the moss layer) I just wired and pushed into the foam. For the smaller pieces with delicate stems I cut the ends off of floral pins and wired the ends of the stems to them which worked pretty well. I did run into some issues with the end of the pin slipping out of the wire and leaving the plant behind, but using tweezers and occasionally a spot of hot glue sorted that out.

Here it is laid out incorrectly (I was tired) on the floor in my living room when I was finished with assembly.

I masked off all of the wood and took them outside so that I could spray a few thin coats of UV-protectant floral spray on. Everything I used was already stable/preserved and the components that weren't I sprayed individually, but I thought it was a good idea to give everything some extra sealing at the end.

Then it was time to put hardware on the wall and hang 14 hexagons that all need to be lined up and in contact with each other. I made a jig out of a piece of foam-core cut to match the size of a hexagon with a slot for the hardware cut into it in the appropriate location. It was less of a nightmare than I thought it might be but between drilling, putting in drywall anchors, setting the hexagons, tapping them with a mallet to line them up, and cleaning up the dust and poo poo I think it took me three hours to get them all up.

I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out. Now that I've bored you all with this long rear end post, here's pictures of it all on the wall (ignore my dirty keyboard—I got drywall dust all over it like an idiot):

(bigger)

Detail shots:

(bigger)

(bigger)

(bigger)

(bigger)

(bigger)

Wallet fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 4, 2020

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That came out great!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yeah, that looks awesome. I better not show this to my wife, she might get ideas...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

That came out very nice, but I have a stupid question... How do you plan to deal with dust over time? Does the sealant you used make it stable enough that you can just use a feather duster or a vacuum on them without damaging anything?