Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSPxp4NzlHc

IF ONLY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

What if you screamed ZA WARUDO with as much conviction and ecstasy and Dio and you actually stopped time?

Something to think about ...

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Hey Ya! has no magical ability, it can only talk. It is still the strongest stand because it uses its limited abilities exclusively to give emotional support to the user.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

sirtommygunn posted:

Hey Ya! has no magical ability, it can only talk. It is still the strongest stand because it uses its limited abilities exclusively to give emotional support to the user.

I mean Araki can say this, but in the manga it clearly knows things Pocolocco doesn't and provides some form of advantage beyond encouragement

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Hey Ya! pretty clearly only has one actual power, which is knowledge of the surrounding area and the immediate future which it uses to provide encouragement to it's user. It doesn't "do" anything except encourage, but it's basically a short range omniscience which allow it's encouragement to be more effective.

It literally only provides guidance/encouragement to the user, but it's guidance and encouragement is pretty much perfectly useful at all times.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

We have to keep in mind that stand powers, in Jojo, are closely linked to the character who has them. If a character has a stand, that's the one that makes the most sense for them, with the exception of the no-name losers from early Part 3.

Pocolocco has a subtle, yet incredibly powerful, possibly fate-altering stand that could potentially allow him to do anything, given enough time, precisely because he is a lazy piece of poo poo

God drat I wish we had gotten a scene with him during the epilogue

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

since we’re on busted stands, has heaven’s door ever been shown to have any limits whatsoever (after the original appearance with the weird show-em-a-paper thing)? I haven’t read all the thus spake rohans so not sure if he ran into a situation where heavens door just flat out couldn’t help.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Crusader posted:

since we’re on busted stands, has heaven’s door ever been shown to have any limits whatsoever (after the original appearance with the weird show-em-a-paper thing)? I haven’t read all the thus spake rohans so not sure if he ran into a situation where heavens door just flat out couldn’t help.

even though neither Rohan or Koichi know a lick of Italian, Heaven's Door can just write "I know Italian" on Koichi and it works

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

grieving for Gandalf posted:

even though neither Rohan or Koichi know a lick of Italian, Heaven's Door can just write "I know Italian" on Koichi and it works

My favorite instance of Heaven's Door bullshittery is the end of Cheap Trick, in which you could argue that Kishibe Rohan creates hell just to send Cheap Trick there.

I know it's just one interpretation of many (admittedly a rather out there one) but it's still my headcanon.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

GimmickMan posted:

My favorite instance of Heaven's Door bullshittery is the end of Cheap Trick, in which you could argue that Kishibe Rohan creates hell just to send Cheap Trick there.

I know it's just one interpretation of many (admittedly a rather out there one) but it's still my headcanon.

Jesus Christ is real and helps you shoot people so I buy Hell being a place to which your soul can go

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

on that note: Jesus Christ has a Stand and he's an rear end in a top hat

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

the alley ghost portal is an established thing, all rohan would have done is ensure his visit to hell instead of ending up like kira or something

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

"You look surprised, Longinus... Truth is, my 'Hard Rock Hallelujah' has already 'perceived' all quantities of 'Sin' at the Hill of Golgotha."
"What?! When did he activate his 'Stand'? I even stabbed him with my 'spear', severing his 'Centrum tendineum'!"
"Fool... This is my attack... Your 'Sin' revealed your 'Intent to Kill' ages ago!
My ultimate power will judge you...
Activate - 'Kingdom Come'!"

- Intro of Roundabout starts

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Judas makes his way to the Hill with his Stand「Painkiller」to soothe Christ's agony as a way to assuage his guilt

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

JESUS: They'll never catch me if horses are frogs.
THOMAS: Jesus your power is so loving stupid. I loving hate you so much stop using it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Torquemadras posted:

We have to keep in mind that stand powers, in Jojo, are closely linked to the character who has them. If a character has a stand, that's the one that makes the most sense for them, with the exception of the no-name losers from early Part 3.
What does that say about the guy who made Cheap Trick?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Brought To You By posted:

My headcanon has been that the dude sharted either when he got shot with the arrow or shortly before, so he was probably thinking something like "oh god I need to make sure NOBODY sees my back or I'd literally DIE of embarassment"

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

JESUS: Thanks to my stand, I can turn wine to water
MATTHEW: Wow
JESUS: My stand can also make bread ever-lasting, feeding thousands
MATTHEW: Okay
JESUS: Watch me rez some guys
MATTHEW: What does that have to do with-
JESUS: Now, my stand enables me to walk on water
MATTHEW: Uh
JESUS: My stand is causing that fig tree to die. Fig you, tree
MATTHEW: Oh poo poo Jesus, we gotta escape from the Romans, let's flee over the sea
JESUS: What? How?
MATTHEW: By walking on water? Like you did twenty chapters ago?
JESUS: I DID?!

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

I love how Jesus just cursed a fig tree because it just so happened to not have any fruit at the moment. It's so petty for someone like Jesus Christ to do.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
And then he flipped over some tables because he didn't like the manner in how religion was being taught and they needed to seriously rethink their way of worship that didn't center around exploiting innocents

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Torquemadras posted:

"You look surprised, Longinus... Truth is, my 'Hard Rock Hallelujah' has already 'perceived' all quantities of 'Sin' at the Hill of Golgotha."
"What?! When did he activate his 'Stand'? I even stabbed him with my 'spear', severing his 'Centrum tendineum'!"
"Fool... This is my attack... Your 'Sin' revealed your 'Intent to Kill' ages ago!
My ultimate power will judge you...
Activate - 'Kingdom Come'!"

- Intro of Roundabout starts

Torquemadras posted:

JESUS: Thanks to my stand, I can turn wine to water
MATTHEW: Wow
JESUS: My stand can also make bread ever-lasting, feeding thousands
MATTHEW: Okay
JESUS: Watch me rez some guys
MATTHEW: What does that have to do with-
JESUS: Now, my stand enables me to walk on water
MATTHEW: Uh
JESUS: My stand is causing that fig tree to die. Fig you, tree
MATTHEW: Oh poo poo Jesus, we gotta escape from the Romans, let's flee over the sea
JESUS: What? How?
MATTHEW: By walking on water? Like you did twenty chapters ago?
JESUS: I DID?!
lmfao

the true part 1

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

JESUS: Guh...!!!!
ROMAN: Take that, criminal! You won't disturb our 'reign of justice', nailed to that cross!
JESUS: ...
JESUS: Father...
JESUS: (close-up of face, with an expression of grim determination, and full, luscious lips a tiny bit open in that Gucci model way)
JESUS: Forgive Them, for they do not know...
JESUS: (crosses legs, appearing as if lazily louching on the cross, a 'fire of noble sacrifice' aflame in his eyes, his abs a perfectly angular array of shaded diamonds, golden ratio out of the whazoo)
JESUS: What they DO-RA-RA-RA-RA-RA
JESUS: (his stand 「Hard Rock Hallelujah」 forms from a halo and obliterates the cross in three two-page spreads)
END-OF-CHAPTER ARAKI COMMENT: I like rabbits.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Thank you for sharing early Part 9 leaks.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Maybe Cheap Trick was actually really strong and just had a super fatal weakness.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

JESUS: Guh...!!!!
ROMAN: Take that, criminal! You won't disturb our 'reign of justice', nailed to that cross!
JESUS: ...
JESUS: Father...
JESUS: (close-up of face, with an expression of grim determination, and full, luscious lips a tiny bit open in that Gucci model way)
JESUS: Forgive Them, for they do not know...
JESUS: (crosses legs, appearing as if lazily louching on the cross, a 'fire of noble sacrifice' aflame in his eyes, his abs a perfectly angular array of shaded diamonds, golden ratio out of the whazoo)
JESUS: What they DO-RA-RA-RA-RA-RA
JESUS: (his stand 「Hard Rock Hallelujah」 forms from a halo and obliterates the cross in three two-page spreads)
END-OF-CHAPTER ARAKI COMMENT: I like rabbits.

3/5, not nearly enough 'strongly emphasised concepts'

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

The way I see it, he was always paranoid about people seeing his back, and he got a stand that justified his paranoia.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

multijoe posted:

3/5, not nearly enough 'strongly emphasised concepts'

Fine

JESUS: There is a 'truth'... Do you hear what I'm saying? For the 'rich man', it is difficult to enter the 'kingdom of heaven'. I'm saying it's difficult... That's all I'm saying. Rather, you'll see a 'camel through a needle's eye'. Have you realized it yet...? The 'needle' is something that a camel 'may pass through'. My intention was for you to 'question' this challenge... for the 'rich man'. You shall think about this.
DUMBSHIT DISCIPLES: Wah...?! I don't get it... I don't 'get it' at all, Jesus...!
JUDAS: Actually, it's Jesuus if you translate it properly...
JESUS: shut the gently caress up

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Torquemadras posted:

Fine

JESUS: There is a 'truth'... Do you hear what I'm saying? For the 'rich man', it is difficult to enter the 'kingdom of heaven'. I'm saying it's difficult... That's all I'm saying. Rather, you'll see a 'camel through a needle's eye'. Have you realized it yet...? The 'needle' is something that a camel 'may pass through'. My intention was for you to 'question' this challenge... for the 'rich man'. You shall think about this.
DUMBSHIT DISCIPLES: Wah...?! I don't get it... I don't 'get it' at all, Jesus...!
JUDAS: Actually, it's Jesuus if you translate it properly...
JESUS: shut the gently caress up

Ah, that's the stuff

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

JEUS: Judas, my son...I 'truly believe' that you have a 'righteous cause'. I 'truly believe you 99 percent'. But.....I need 'to be sure of that 1 percent'. So please....'take out your wallet'. I need 'to see how much silver you have'. If it is only...'29 pieces of silver'.....or even '31 pieces of silver'....then I will 'truly believe you 100 percent'. Please, 'prove that I can believe you 100 percent'.
JUDAS: *blinks twice*
JUDAS: *takes out gun*

Torquemadras posted:

JESUS: There is a 'truth'... Do you hear what I'm saying? For the 'rich man' *small picture of Mr. Monopoly*, it is difficult to enter the 'kingdom of heaven' *small picture of St. Peter's keys*. I'm saying it's difficult... That's all I'm saying. Rather, you'll see a 'camel *small picture of a camel* through a needle's eye' *small picture of an eye*. Have you realized it yet...? The 'needle' *small picture of a needle* is something that a camel 'may pass through' *small picture of an arrow pointing at a tunnel*. My intention was for you to 'question' this challenge... for the 'rich man' *another small picture of Mr. Monopoly*. You shall think about this.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
question from someone who seldom actually reads jojo, is this kind of phrasing the result of odd translation or does araki genuinely write like this

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Araki actually writes like that, yes.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

he's also said he talks like that if memory serves and was confused that people found it odd

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It's a little more than halfway through Part 7 that he starts doing the "explain 'concepts' with bold inflation and 'quotation marks'" thing though.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Funky Valentine posted:

It's a little more than halfway through Part 7 that he starts doing the "explain 'concepts' with bold inflation and 'quotation marks'" thing though.

That's mostly Pres. Valentine's thing, the scene where he starts talking to Johnny in pictograms being the epitome.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

JESUS: They'll never catch me if horses are frogs.
THOMAS: Jesus your power is so loving stupid. I loving hate you so much stop using it.

So in this scenario Thomas' stand is called 「NO DOUBT」, right? :v:

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Angry_Ed posted:

Heh.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Angry_Ed posted:

i'm furious

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Jesus dying for our sins is basically Love Train in reverse

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I just realized that in JoJo Rabbit, Hitler was basically his Stand and it was a really bad Hey Ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKU8jnlzhNM