Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

No really don't do "oh lawd" memes because they are genuinely racist.
what! dammit! thanks for letting me know

e: just read up and yeah i get it now. please forgive me, i'm not american and assumed it was just a takeoff of deep south dialect, not specifically black

fauna fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
There's this idea that black people are essentially funny. They're funny because they're uneducated or have a different take. The idea is that blacks live a different life from us "normal"' people. It's been a part of American humor for the whole time the USA has been a country. It's also racist as gently caress. The "oh lawd" meme is just 21st century minstrelsy.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

There's this idea that black people are essentially funny. They're funny because they're uneducated or have a different take. The idea is that blacks live a different life from us "normal"' people. It's been a part of American humor for the whole time the USA has been a country. It's also racist as gently caress. The "oh lawd" meme is just 21st century minstrelsy.

I wish we could live in a world where our cute chonky cat memes weren't also racist.

that is probably the most facile way to say "our society is racist is gently caress" but I'm sticking to it.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

i get that. it sucks when society relentlessly hammers a group down and then makes a mockery of them for the sin of being hammered down. i really am sorry, thanks so much for bringing that up :h:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Oh that part, I only knew it from the cat. But I've never heard the audio since I don't unusually play audio. Vaguely relieved I still don't know what boldly dippin means.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Do we have a thread about the Ringworld books or Niven's work in general?

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

hooah posted:

Do we have a thread about the Ringworld books or Niven's work in general?

Puppeteers are my favorite alien species

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I started reading Watership Down by Whatshisname - IDK why, it was there and it was green I guess? - and I'm really glad I never tried reading it as a kid because it would've bored me. It still does but I'm much more tolerant of being bored now.

As a kid I saw it in the bookcase in the living room thousands of times but never thought it was a children's book so never picked it up. The Finnish title People of the grass forest made me think it was some sort of anthropological study, and I never pulled it out to see there was a rabbit on the cover.

e: The dude who wrote is pretty racist.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I started reading Watership Down by Whatshisname - IDK why, it was there and it was green I guess? - and I'm really glad I never tried reading it as a kid because it would've bored me. It still does but I'm much more tolerant of being bored now.

As a kid I saw it in the bookcase in the living room thousands of times but never thought it was a children's book so never picked it up. The Finnish title People of the grass forest made me think it was some sort of anthropological study, and I never pulled it out to see there was a rabbit on the cover.

e: The dude who wrote is pretty racist.

Watership Down is really good and really problematic.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

cda posted:

It's paced like a day-time soap opera.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Our heroes noticed there was something not quite right about the denizens of Shitpost Warren and prudently moved on.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Our heroes noticed there was something not quite right about the denizens of Shitpost Warren and prudently moved on.

Like the Irishman can never not pick a fight*, I can never not shitpost.

*) According to Whatshisname Adams. (I know the first name is on the pic I posted myself but I can't make it out and can't be arsed to enlarge so :shrug:)

e: I did and still can't make it out lol.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Lol

The warren where all the bunnies are just patiently waiting for their deaths in conditions of comfort is BYOB and I always thought it was the best one

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Oh all of the rabbits I thought were females are males.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

cda posted:

Lol

The warren where all the bunnies are just patiently waiting for their deaths in conditions of comfort is BYOB and I always thought it was the best one

I'm a member of the Owsla, where's the period at the end of that sentence??

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

At the bottom of your second question mark.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Bilirubin posted:

At the bottom of your second question mark.

Feed me to the snares

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Feed me to the snares

Now listen up, goon, we don't take too kindly to grammatical hypocrisy round these here forums.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Safety Biscuits posted:

Now listen up, goon, we don't take too kindly to grammatical hypocrisy round these here forums.

My hind feet are thumping, warning others of danger

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I think I'll read a Harry Potter next, so you guys can really shine with your quotes.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I think I'll read a Harry Potter next, so you guys can really shine with your quotes.

I mostly remember Ron ejaculating loudly a lot

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm sorry for loving Watership Down so much, it definitely has its flaws.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

I'm sorry for loving Watership Down so much, it definitely has its flaws.

Watership Down is excellent, and I don't understand the impulse to insist on ideological purity in fiction.

None of us would want to live in Mishima's idea of heaven on earth but that doesn't mean we can't enjoy his writing. I don't want to live in Regency England either, but that doesn't make Austen any less good (no matter how limited she is on class). I don't think I can name a book that aligns with my politics completely. We don't have to agree with characters or even the author to enjoy a book.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

I mostly remember Ron ejaculating loudly a lot

It was a ruse: I don't have a Harry Potter so I can't read one. :evilbuddy:

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sarern posted:

Watership Down is excellent, and I don't understand the impulse to insist on ideological purity in fiction.
It's because Twitter turned political discourse into an endless game of superficial gotchas.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

cda posted:

*raises hand*

I must be missing something, what's problematic about Watership Down?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

*raises hand*

Fiverr should have been eaten by a coyote or like a feral cat or whatever they have in England long before the story unfolded.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Bilirubin posted:

Fiverr should have been eaten by a coyote or like a feral cat or whatever they have in England long before the story unfolded.

If the problem is insufficient realism, rabbits also cannot actually talk

Edit : wait am I realposting in response to.a shitpost again, as I get older that happens to me more

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Nature red in tooth and claw

~General Woundswort probably

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Bigwig just wouldn't shut up about the Hrair Words slogan.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The Plague Dogs is a better book and is ideologically perfect but it's so loving hard to read.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

*raises hand*

Male Chauvinist Rabbits https://nyti.ms/1LO8aEv

That article appears to have been OCR-ed so there are a couple of weird typos.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

*raises hand*

The writer thinks Irishmen and "primitive people" are animals and clearly expresses this in the book.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

cda posted:

Male Chauvinist Rabbits https://nyti.ms/1LO8aEv

That article appears to have been OCR-ed so there are a couple of weird typos.

Oh ok that was kinda my guess, I'll print that article out and fold it away in the inside front cover of my copy, like a grandma clipping articles

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Take a drink every time Dumbledore's eyes are twinkling. If the book's main conflict could be solved with the Time Turner they had no problem using in book 3, finish the bottle.

I'm revisiting the series myself right now and while it's still fun and there's a lot to like, the warts and general clunkiness are much more apparent. I mean, it's a kid's series so I'm not going to be too hard on it. But (why am I spoiler tagging Harry loving Potter) Why didn't fake Moody just ask Harry to hand him a book or something that was actually a port key instead of hoping he made it through all the challenges and was the one to touch the trophy? And the whole portrayal of house elves is hugely problematic, particularly if you read it as an analogue to African slavery. Could a 20-something man really pull off a portrayal of a late-50s auror well enough to fool people for an entire year who actually knew Moody, like Dumbledore and Snape? Book 4 used to be my favorite but it has a ton of problems.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

regulargonzalez posted:

Take a drink every time Dumbledore's eyes are twinkling. If the book's main conflict could be solved with the Time Turner they had no problem using in book 3, finish the bottle.

I'm revisiting the series myself right now and while it's still fun and there's a lot to like, the warts and general clunkiness are much more apparent. I mean, it's a kid's series so I'm not going to be too hard on it. But (why am I spoiler tagging Harry loving Potter) Why didn't fake Moody just ask Harry to hand him a book or something that was actually a port key instead of hoping he made it through all the challenges and was the one to touch the trophy? And the whole portrayal of house elves is hugely problematic, particularly if you read it as an analogue to African slavery. Could a 20-something man really pull off a portrayal of a late-50s auror well enough to fool people for an entire year who actually knew Moody, like Dumbledore and Snape? Book 4 used to be my favorite but it has a ton of problems.

All the time turners were destroyed though :smug: In like book 5 I think but still

I didn't read any HP until I was in college and they're okay but if you're an adult and have never read them I wouldn't bother. I know a lot of people my age (early thirties) that absolutely love Harry Potter...because they started it in elementary school and grew up with it. Once nostalgia is taken away they're just mediocre middle grade/YA books.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I mean in the series's defense, Rowling does do a pretty great job in making each book a little older and a little darker than the one before. Book 6 iirc opens with a pretty harrowing scene, all the Umbridge stuff in book 5 (especially her implied fate), lots of deaths in book 7, it's all a long way from the fairy tale atmosphere in books 1 and 2.

They're fun yarns and I think are at their best at recreating the feeling of being a middle school / high school student and the joys and struggles of being an 11 / 12 / 13 / 14 / 15 / 16 year old. I'd say they're about as important and worthwhile as, say, The Count of Monte Cristo.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I have recommended the His Dark Materials series to adults who want something better than Harry Potter but there’s probably something terrible about them that I’m overlooking :v:

I loved them, might be time for a re-read except realistically, I never do that.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Only the first one is any fun. And Pullman makes Lewis look subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

He's 2/3rds of the way thru a new trilogy; first is how Lyra ended up in Oxford and was quite fun, the second is her all grown up and that's literally all I can remember about it.