Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
The only only that surprises me us Seadramon. I like it and it’s classic, but it has never been shown to be relevant in its Champion form. Tyrannomon, as well. Being classic works, I guess.

Meicoomon and Sangloupmon are kind of odd, but I get why they show up.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
Bamco announced their schedule for TGS and Survive isn’t on it. I’m gonna go ahead and guess that it won’t be in this month’s V-Jump either.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Geostomp posted:

The only only that surprises me us Seadramon. I like it and it’s classic, but it has never been shown to be relevant in its Champion form. Tyrannomon, as well. Being classic works, I guess.

Meicoomon and Sangloupmon are kind of odd, but I get why they show up.

Nothing makes me happier than the fact that they can't animate Sanglopmon because of its giant knife feet and how awkward it would be to make him move.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, it's just flat claws + paws underneath some upward raised knife legwarmers. He wouldn't be that hard, honestly.

They've animated weirder. Like all of Matadormon, once.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blaze Dragon posted:

I'm hoping for the same. It's really not been great since like episode 2, though it's been consistently good which isn't something I'm going to complain about considering Digimon series tend to have weak beginnings.

Also we have the results of the next DigiPoll. I'm unimpressed, as usual.
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1304032331548815360
https://twitter.com/Wikimon_news/status/1304032333473943552

How is Stingmon not #1?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm just glad GeoGreymon made the ranking.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

How is Stingmon not #1?

So I was going to say, being fair, Stingmon didn't get to do poo poo in season 2 but then you had some folks make the cut who've never even been in an anime so I don't know.

Stingmon needs to be done justice in animation one day, his design is too cool to be left to rot as "half of Imperialdramon"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Stingmon got to do a lot of stuff in 02. I have no idea what you’re on about.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I remember I had the PS1 fighting game, where every character could be Rookie or Mega. Except Wormmon. He got Stingmon.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

Stingmon got to do a lot of stuff in 02. I have no idea what you’re on about.

I'm genuinely curious what you mean.

He had some stuff when he was first introduced, but after fusion was introduced he just became part of Paildramon and then Imperialdramon.

He got to be a detective later in life though which is amazing and I want to see that story

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Burkion posted:

I'm genuinely curious what you mean.

He had some stuff when he was first introduced, but after fusion was introduced he just became part of Paildramon and then Imperialdramon.

He got to be a detective later in life though which is amazing and I want to see that story

In the episodes before Paildramon’s evolution he had some of the coolest fights. Then he still showed up in the Insect Master’s house and the world tour arc. He has plenty of time to make an impression; yeah he’s there for less than half the show, but Digimon has done more with less. If Guardromon could pull it off in Tamers, Stingmon certainly could.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nodosaur posted:

In the episodes before Paildramon’s evolution he had some of the coolest fights. Then he still showed up in the Insect Master’s house and the world tour arc. He has plenty of time to make an impression; yeah he’s there for less than half the show, but Digimon has done more with less. If Guardromon could pull it off in Tamers, Stingmon certainly could.

That still doesn't go against what I said. I guess I'll be more specific- Stingmon got very little to do.

But that's because ALL of the champions in that season got very little to do. With Stingmon, his memorable moments are his fights in his intro, I don't remember insect house too well outside of the fact that he's one of the bad guys due to mind control, and that's about it. Guardromon isn't regarded as like, the coolest Digimon you want to fight with, he was a funny quirky character. And he staid Guardromon- Stingmon almost definitely has less total screen time than he does.

Keep in mind, I like Stingmon a lot. I adore his design and wish he did get to do more. But season 2's action was kind of abysmal especially at that point of the show. It'll never not make me laugh that Imperialdramon proper never actually gets a real fight, and Fighter Mode has to count him showing up to the end of the War Greymon War because of how infrequently he got to show off. He pushes Daemon through a gateway, kills weaker Digimon, gets blown up while those two finish their fight, and then the finale.

This isn't an indictment of Stingmon, and arguably he should be higher. We have folks on this list who have never been in shows, after all.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I mean, I don't regard the action in Adventure as a WHOLE being the high point of the franchise. Stingmon's showings are cool, but with the caveat that it's cool for Adventure.

Aside from the movies, which are really good, Adventure is kinda blown out of the water in the fights department by the likes of Tamers, Savers, and its own remake.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Nodosaur posted:

I mean, I don't regard the action in Adventure as a WHOLE being the high point of the franchise. Stingmon's showings are cool, but with the caveat that it's cool for Adventure.

Aside from the movies, which are really good, Adventure is kinda blown out of the water in the fights department by the likes of Tamers, Savers, and its own remake.

Agreed. Stingmon had very little to do, but he had a more impressive showing than any of his teammates Champion forms in that series. Outside of his debut, Exveemon never did jack and the other two barely got acknowledged at all. I don’t think that Ankylomon ever had anything resembling a real fight.

And yes, Imperialdramon is the most disappointing leader Mega of them all. I don’t think he ever won a fight against anyone on his level once.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 11, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Bee posted:

I remember I had the PS1 fighting game, where every character could be Rookie or Mega. Except Wormmon. He got Stingmon.

It is kinda funny, they could have just given him ImperialDramon Dragon Mode since Veemon had Fighter Mode instead

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
02 should've really just stuck to the armors. DNA's a cool gimmick but it was kinda wasted on 02's roster in my opinion. And Saggitarimon would've been a really cool Ultimate to see in action, instead of being retconned into the Veemon's Digi-Egg of Hope armor.

Also you're implying Imperialdramon Dragon Mode is allowed to do things.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Jogress Evolution gave us Shakkoumon, and for that, it will always be perfect

He's a little teapot, motherfuckers

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I like how Palidramon and Silphymon both look like an actual fusion of their respective parts but Shaokkoumon is ankylosaurus + angel = dogu.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

And he's all the better for it. What a magnificent creature.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

The Bee posted:

Didn't you like when he lifted up Triceramon? How impressive!

Imperialdramon Fighter Mode didn't have that much more impressive of a showing, did he? He killed some bone boy being weighed down by a bus, shoved Demon, and blasted Vamdemon goop with his gun made from children's dreams.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

The Bee posted:

02 should've really just stuck to the armors. DNA's a cool gimmick but it was kinda wasted on 02's roster in my opinion. And Saggitarimon would've been a really cool Ultimate to see in action, instead of being retconned into the Veemon's Digi-Egg of Hope armor.

I do wonder why they did so little with Armor Evolution as a concept

Nodosaur posted:

Jogress Evolution gave us Shakkoumon, and for that, it will always be perfect

He's a little teapot, motherfuckers

I've learned to appreciate him better over the years but they definitely mangled his fights, definitely feels like SaintGalgomon was essentially a take two on the concept they had in mind and pulled it off much better

Funky Valentine posted:

I like how Palidramon and Silphymon both look like an actual fusion of their respective parts but Shaokkoumon is ankylosaurus + angel = dogu.

Makes sense to me, though I wouldn't be surprised if Shakkoumon had been a preexisting concept that they decided to use for that slot rather than being built from the ground up for the role like the other two are

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Years and years of Shakkoumon bashing have made me defend the thing at all costs. I will not accept criticism at this time. He's the perfect Digimon.

Statements to the contrary will only make my comments more glowing.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Honestly, are any of them really based on their component parts? Silphymon strikes me as just as easily being a normal Ultimate for Aquillamon. Paildramon has some good Stingmon elements, but loses most of them upon Imperialdramon.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

As a kid I always thought that Shakkoumon was a combination of its parts because he was a supernatural figure made of hard clay.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

The Bee posted:

Honestly, are any of them really based on their component parts? Silphymon strikes me as just as easily being a normal Ultimate for Aquillamon. Paildramon has some good Stingmon elements, but loses most of them upon Imperialdramon.

Paildramon is the one that's really obviously "XVmon+Stingmon", but Silphymon at least has Tailmon's ears and and white furry claw arms. Shakkoumon meanwhile is Angemon mostly because it's a holy digimon, otherwise it's an armored digimon based on an old thing which is thematically a natural progression from Ankylomon.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

I do wonder why they did so little with Armor Evolution as a concept

I've learned to appreciate him better over the years but they definitely mangled his fights, definitely feels like SaintGalgomon was essentially a take two on the concept they had in mind and pulled it off much better

Makes sense to me, though I wouldn't be surprised if Shakkoumon had been a preexisting concept that they decided to use for that slot rather than being built from the ground up for the role like the other two are

02 was very much written by the seat of its pants. The writers had no idea where to go after the Digimon Emperor fell and it showed. Look at how the function of Control Spires kept changing or how the Holy Stones popped out of nowhere and were forgotten as soon as they weren’t needed. Hell, see the Dark Ocean which was never explained or used in a meaningful capacity beyond “Daemon dumping ground”. Let’s not even get into Myotismon being dug up so he could run a nonsensical plan and die via power words like “I want to be dentist!”

The Armors were a victim of that and the need to show off the fancy new fusion evolution gimmick in the V-pets at the time.

02 has a bad reputation for a lot of reasons, mostly stemming from the lack of planning leading to such shoddy writing.

megamariox
Jun 4, 2011
I still feel that 02 would have done better to go dual armor evolution for Davis, Cody, and Yolee, while using the crest and digieggs combination for T.K. and Kari.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Swapping the armors around should've been a thing.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

Swapping the armors around should've been a thing.

It kinda was in that Drama CD where they got all mixed up!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
yeah but the drama cd armor forms mostly suck like togemogumon shadramon and owlmon are pretty much the only good ones

edit: depthmon

Elfgames fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 12, 2020

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
Just rewatched Tamers. D-Reaper will be in my nightmares tonight.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Buff Walrus best Walrus

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Speaking of buff walrus! We’re all in agreement that, by appearance, it looks like Vikemon should be the Perfect and Zudomon should be the Ultimate, right? At least in retrospect?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So, that's hard to say. As a design I vastly prefer Zudomon, but from a design standpoint, Vikemon is more...complicated. It'd be strange to have Vikemon evolve into Zudomon, who is comparatively less evolved looking.

I do find it wild that Vikemon was not designed to be Zudomon's mega level. That's absurd to me

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Burkion posted:

I do find it wild that Vikemon was not designed to be Zudomon's mega level. That's absurd to me
Wait, what?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

He originated as Shakkoumon's Ultimate weirdly enough

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

...Digimon is weird.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
That was a surprising twist at the end. I wonder if they are really back or if it's some illusion-Tokyo.

Edit: oops

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 13, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Spoiler text, my dude! Some of us won’t get a chance to watch it for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

drrockso20 posted:

He originated as Shakkoumon's Ultimate weirdly enough

They still haven’t given Shakkuomon a proper evolution.