Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

just use emacs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

hifi posted:

just use emacs

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
no

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
use vim because its on every host by default

pico / nano / emacs / joe / whatever your favorite thing is is probably not going to be on whatever slimlined distribution is on the server you need to get into immediately and good luck installing poo poo on prod edges while you're trying to do actual work

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sniep posted:

pico / nano / emacs / joe / whatever your favorite thing is is probably not going to be on whatever slimlined distribution is on the server you need to get into immediately and good luck installing poo poo on prod edges while you're trying to do actual work

You misspelled "vi", though?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

nano is on pretty much everything, it's all you really need

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

Sniep posted:

that's why emacs has tramp-mode. why rely on what tools the jobsite happens to have when you can bring your own

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
at that point why not just mount whatever remote host over sshfs and use the editor of your choice locally

i hate that vim isn't really /everywhere/ by default but at least there's almost always vi

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i've been using vim for far too long to use anything else, and even in intellij i gotta add the bindings for navigation

i use arrow keys though, the hjkl days are long over

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team
same re: hjkl and feeling like a poseur for it

though using amethyst as a tiling helper in osx lately has made me way more used to it than before

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

psiox posted:

at that point why not just mount whatever remote host over sshfs and use the editor of your choice locally

i hate that vim isn't really /everywhere/ by default but at least there's almost always vi

because the way tramp works in emacs is when you're finding a file, instead of starting with a path you start typing user@remotehost::/ or whatever (i actually haven't used it in a while) and then your same session with all its tools that you've had open doing your other stuff is now pretty much seamlessly editing a file on a remote host. it's pretty nice and doesn't require any other messing about

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sniep posted:

nothing i love more than mucking through some random embedded system and trying to guess what editor they decided to package in

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
I got used to hjkl so much that for a long time I used asdf in FPSs, till I got sick of having to rebind keys every time I got a new game.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

lmao @ complaining about remote editing.

once again, acme + plan9 supremacy

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

hifi posted:

just use emacs

no electronic macintosh in the linux thread, please

mystes
May 31, 2006

rt4 posted:

no electronic macintosh in the linux thread, please
There was an actual apple product called the eMac and it certainly didn't stand for "electronic" mac.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

minato posted:

I got used to hjkl so much that for a long time I used asdf in FPSs, till I got sick of having to rebind keys every time I got a new game.

this is not okay

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

There was an actual apple product called the eMac and it certainly didn't stand for "electronic" mac.

yes, right, please stop bringing it up

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Last Chance posted:

nano is on pretty much everything, it's all you really need

not if I have any say in the matter. i uninstall it on sight on any system where I have sufficient privileges. nano is poison, learn a real editor or stick with windows notepad

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Soricidus posted:

not if I have any say in the matter. i uninstall it on sight on any system where I have sufficient privileges. nano is poison, learn a real editor or stick with windows notepad

ah, so its you, villain

im joking I use vim, but nano and pico have their place and do almost everything I do in vi(m) on remote servers

:crossarms:really everyone who's not a poser ahould be using ed, and that's my final word on the matter:crossarms:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Soricidus posted:

ms word is pretty good as an ide actually. you can make your code look just how you like it, none of this dumb poo poo like “all function names must be the same color”. needs a few vb macros to add refactoring support and so on but vb is easy to write

NEXTSTEP legit supported RTF source code, foo.c.rtf would be piped through textutil automatically to strip formatting, as would all headers etc.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

if I can install new applications _and_ I need a terminal-based text editor for some reason, I install micro. it's basically nano but for people who own razors, which is pretty good.

most of the time condition #2 doesn't apply and I throw another 0.3 gb of ram at vscode tho

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'd very much like the return of rich formatting in comments at least. i tend to write a lot of prototype'ish stuff where very lengthy comments motivating why one does things in certain ways and how the concepts relate tend to be of more value to the very final product than any of the particular code.

also literate programming as it exists now trash, so don't raise that point.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Private Speech posted:

ah, so its you, villain

im joking I use vim, but nano and pico have their place and do almost everything I do in vi(m) on remote servers

their place is in bad newbie tutorials on the ubuntu forums

I guess it’s fine for amateurs who find “i, esc :wq” too taxing to remember but idk why anyone who uses a linux for a living would want a worthless editor that doesn’t even have any key bindings in common with anything else they use

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

NihilCredo posted:

if I can install new applications _and_ I need a terminal-based text editor for some reason, I install micro. it's basically nano but for people who own razors, which is pretty good.

most of the time condition #2 doesn't apply and I throw another 0.3 gb of ram at vscode tho

yeah I meant terminal editors specifically, I use proper IDEs for development

speaking of I've been using Eclipse lately, so that's more like another 2GB for me; I usually have to close a few tabs once I get to 36GB or so

Eclipse does have some features that jetbrains doesn't offer though, and I find the UI easier to work with once you get used to it

I also preferred emacs at uni but on reflection an IDE is more powerful and vim more portable, so I forgot almost all the chords I used to know

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

feel free to tear down my choices it's enjoyable to read

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
tell us about these killer features that make it worth suffering eclipse

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

For anyone getting into Linux from Windows (and depending on what they are actually editing), I suggest using nano first, then going to vi next.

Baby steps, and etc. I always tell them that nano is a crutch but it works great in a pinch. Just have to be careful about newlines.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Soricidus posted:

tell us about these killer features that make it worth suffering eclipse

I wouldn't say any of it is killer features and I don't mind using clion or ideaj or whatever, but

I like having multiple projects open in one window, the perspective thing is neat if you switch between multiple languages, more default keybindings for things like looking up where a variable is overloaded/referenced/defined/inheritance hierarchy, the auto-complete suggests overrides/overloads (then again jetbrains suggests variable names so that one's a wash), some integration with embedded development tools, the context menu system is slightly better organised (if a bit of a pain at first), the build system is a bit more customisable for C++ (if a bit ... again as previous) , I like the highly customisable toolbar at the top with buttons instead of relying on menus for most things

e: I don't particularly care either way since yeah Eclipse has its issues, but it's okay for me when work wants/needs me to use it

oh I forgot I like the alt-left/alt-right history lookup better in eclipse

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 12, 2020

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I haven't used jetbrains IDEs all that much so again feel free to call me a cretin and explain why

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Private Speech posted:

I haven't used jetbrains IDEs all that much so again feel free to call me a cretin and explain why

For me its mostly the level of language-specific support. I sometimes have to maintain some ancient PHP and its the only thing I've found that can actually parse and understand the spaghetti code in that project. Also very good support for setting up debuggers etc in node, python and php which can be a pain to do in other IDEs for complex setups like running it in docker containers. Not impossible to do in other IDEs but its got a nice UI and sensible defaults so its less of a hassle.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

Private Speech posted:

nah you make a reasonable case. I can’t stand the eclipse interface but I can totally see it working for some people, and I’ve found intellij better at static analysis for the things I care about but it sure as hell isnt perfect. it’s good that there is more than one viable ide vendor

also yeah jetbrains owns if you have to touch plangs (including go), they do a very decent job of making it tolerable

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I use eclipse CDT for kernel development and I use CLion and pycharm for normal things. Both are very needs suiting.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

the eclipse project needs a come to jesus moment about performance and responsiveness. it's been absolutely godawful for the last decade and they do nothing

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if you think you can do better then fork it lil noobins

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I use vim with a bunch of plugins for most coding and text stuff, with tmux splits to show build/test output. when I start needing real ide stuff (eg jump-to-definition) I use work's internal ide

for notes I use sublime because it isn't electron and I bought a license like 5 years ago so why not. I used to janitor sublime plugins, but I stopped doing that a long time ago

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!

Achmed Jones posted:

I use vim with a bunch of plugins for most coding and text stuff, with tmux splits to show build/test output. when I start needing real ide stuff (eg jump-to-definition) I use work's internal ide

for notes I use sublime because it isn't electron and I bought a license like 5 years ago so why not. I used to janitor sublime plugins, but I stopped doing that a long time ago

Tmux is very good, I have no idea how people work without a multiplexer. I have several coworkers who have 10 different terminals open and constantly alt tab between them trying to find a specific one.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i'd very much like the return of rich formatting in comments at least. i tend to write a lot of prototype'ish stuff where very lengthy comments motivating why one does things in certain ways and how the concepts relate tend to be of more value to the very final product than any of the particular code.

also literate programming as it exists now trash, so don't raise that point.

the compiler doesn't read comments and neither do i

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Tmux is very good, I have no idea how people work without a multiplexer. I have several coworkers who have 10 different terminals open and constantly alt tab between them trying to find a specific one.

I like Konsole and its tabbed approach. Just label the tab so you can keep track

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

yeah, but Konsole also is just barely good enough. that said i can't really put my finger on why it isn't exactly what I need either