Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FBS posted:

I had definitely heard of the rabbit fence before but I wasn't sure it was different from the netting fence.

How many fences did you upside-down bastards build?

Like, long government funded fences for pest control? Six that I know of: four for rabbits (No.1 and No.2 fence in WA, Netting Fence in victoria, Rabbit Board Fence in Queensland), one for dingoes in queensland, and one for cane toads in the northern territory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Pretty sure that was based on the cane beetle > cane toad thing, which happened about 60 years later in a completely different part of the country and still regularly produces the occasional nutcase who wants to introduce another animal to fix it, or feed small toads to lizards so they build an immunity to the poison and will then be able to eat bigger toads without dying, or whatever other obviously insane scheme.

It's worked in exactly one instance I know of, everywhere invasive Ragweed has been introduced, Cinnabar Moths have been introduced, they don't bother nobody, and just like to eat Ragweed.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Like, long government funded fences for pest control? Six that I know of: four for rabbits (No.1 and No.2 fence in WA, Netting Fence in victoria, Rabbit Board Fence in Queensland), one for dingoes in queensland, and one for cane toads in the northern territory.

Picturing a huge fenced off area in Queensland with signs every so often saying NO BABIES PAST THIS POINT

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

WA built three fences.

And New Zealand dug a huge trench to keep the Australians out.

So that brings the total to 8

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

FBS posted:

This is the World's Littlest Skyscraper, in Wichita Falls, Texas. It is, if anything, even smaller than it looks in the picture.

In the 1910s, oil was discovered in nearby Burkburnett and the entire area experienced an oil boom. The story goes that an oilman and developer named J.D. McMahon got a group of investors together to build a high-rise office building in booming downtown Wichita Falls. None of these investors examined the blueprints as closely as they should have, and when the building was completed McMahon skipped town like Lyle Lanley.

The blueprints were measured in inches, not feet. Instead of a 480' skyscraper what the investors had actually paid for was a ten-foot-wide, eighteen-foot-long, 480" (40-foot) high, glorified stairwell.

Apparently there was enough demand for office space that oil companies actually crammed a few desks inside it, but before long the oil boom was over and the Great Depression was not far behind. It sat empty for decades. Somehow never got demolished, or knocked over by a tornado, and by the 80s the city realized it was worth preserving and eventually had it renovated. These days, it's part of an antique and consignment store located in the attached building and mostly serves as a tourist attraction and an amusing anecdote in an otherwise extremely boring and unremarkable city.

Continuing that theme: post your bike next to anything that's considered a "local legend" and tell us the tale.

Lol this is awesome

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Early 1900’s troll. Awesome

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
My phone photography skills are poo poo, but here we go:

This is Union Terminal Center, built in 1933 to consolidate five separate railroad stations owned by the various lines that ran through town (The B&O, Clevelanad, C&O, Chicago & St. Louis, and several others). It's still a functioning train station today, albeit of vastly reduced capacity; you can catch Amtrak trains here. There's a giant CSX freight rail yard not far from here, too.

The building currently houses the Cincinnati Museum Center, including an IMAX theater and children's museum. The half dome is the largest in the western hemisphere (woo hoo?), and the complex is a national historic landmark. When you walk inside, you feel like you've walked onto the set of the Rocketeer - everything is brushed stainless steel and tile and neon, straight out of the art deco period.

The "legend" angle here is a bit of a stretch, but if you read DC comics as a kid or remember the Justice League cartoons, Union Terminal might look familiar - it was supposedly the design inspiration for the Hall of Justice.

Some Groms hanging out in the parking lot:

Here's a softball for the next poster: post your bike somewhere with a great view - nature, your city skyline, the shore, you name it. We're all tired of being stuck inside!

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jazzzzz posted:

The "legend" angle here is a bit of a stretch, but if you read DC comics as a kid or remember the Justice League cartoons, Union Terminal might look familiar - it was supposedly the design inspiration for the Hall of Justice.

That's awesome. I recognized it right away.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Jazzzzz posted:

Here's a softball for the next poster: post your bike somewhere with a great view - nature, your city skyline, the shore, you name it. We're all tired of being stuck inside!
Actually rode the DRZ a decent distance today \ o / . Rode past many good views, but only remembered to stop for a snap on the way home.

Here's the best view of 'the country' I've found inside the M25. Just to the right out of frame is what is probably going to be yet another Amazon warehouse.

Next Poster:
Another softball. Lets see your bike on your favorite road.

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

Horse Clocks posted:

Next Poster:
Another softball. Lets see your bike on your favorite road.

It was great weather today and I finally had some free time, so I rode one of my favorite routes along the Snake River and up the Spiral Highway. This picture is at the top of the Spiral Highway, with a few corners visible in the background.

Has 64 curves in about 7 miles, gaining 1982 feet in altitude. Not exactly the Tail of the Dragon, but definitely one of the best roads in the area. Was built in 1916-17, making it an impressive project for the time. The upper portion has a lot of tar snakes so you do have to be careful when picking your lines, but it's still a good time even when going slow.

Post your bike next to an interesting public works project, like a bridge, tunnel, sewage treatment plant, or whatever goes for public works in your area.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

This is my bike next to a windy public road near Glencoe in Scotland!

Post a picture of your bike next to something cool and old and possibly rusty or decaying.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

syzygy86 posted:

Post your bike next to an interesting public works project, like a bridge, tunnel, sewage treatment plant, or whatever goes for public works in your area.

Steakandchips posted:

Post a picture of your bike next to something cool and old and possibly rusty or decaying.

Two birds, one stone - a cool old, rusty and decaying bridge!

That is the John A. Roebling suspension bridge, as the handy sign in the photo below explains. It was a prototype for the Brooklyn Bridge in New York, and still carries car, bike, and foot traffic across the Ohio River today. Occasionally you can buy tickets for a guided tour that includes walking up the suspension cables to the top of one tower, across to the other, and back down. There are observation decks at the tops of the towers that you can get to from the pedestrian walkways, but they're closed most of the time because the bridge is old and falling apart, like you asked for.

I rode across this metal-grate motherfucker for y'all, right past the signs warning motorcyclists to watch your rear end. Had it been raining, I would've gone around on one of the 6 other bridges in the vicinity, although only 4 carry vehicle traffic - see pics below.

"This thing is old (for the US)"

Facing west from the Roebling bridge, we have the Brent Spence bridge - farthest from the camera - that carries I-75 and I-71, and the CXO Railroad Bridge, nearer to the camera. For those of you not from the US or who have never been east of the Rockies, I-75 is the main north-south interstate highway artery for both cars and truck shipping from the South to the Midwest, and runs south from Michigan down through Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, and Florida, with lovely traffic and crap road conditions most of the way. That bridge, like the Roebling bridge I parked next to, is falling apart and needs to be replaced. The current plans call for building a new bridge next to it and then cutting traffic over to it once it's built, to the tune of a few hundred million bucks. No one can find the money though, and the feds won't pony up for the whole thing because they have $100 million F-35s to buy.

Facing east from the Roebling Bridge, we have from closest to farthest, the Taylor Southbank Bridge (that's Great American Ballpark where the Reds play just out of frame at the northern end of it), the Purple People bridge for pedestrian traffic (real name: Newport Southbank Bridge), and the Daniel Carter Beard bridge, known as the Big Mac bridge because of its yellow supporting arches. Note the B&B Riverboat, a paddle-wheeled tourist trap, heading under the Purple People bridge, and the lonely broken Bird scooter waiting to be carried off the next time the river floods.

Next up! Show me your bike next to some grimy industrial stuff in your area. Run down manufacturing sites. Broken-windowed warehouses covered in graffiti. Serious rust belt poo poo straight out of Robocop!

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Oct 17, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Jazzzzz posted:

Next up! Show me your bike next to some grimy industrial stuff in your area. Run down manufacturing sites. Broken-windowed warehouses covered in graffiti. Serious rust belt poo poo straight out of Robocop!

Rust belt poo poo, you say? What a merry coincidence, I spent this afternoon checking out downtown Rockford!

Since I just moved here I don't know anything about any of these buildings except the first one, which had a sign on the front that said Illinois National Guard. Wikipedia says the armory building has been empty since at least 1999. This is all in one small area, south of downtown near the river, so it's not like the entire city looks like this. But it's definitely a Rust Belt town.

While I was taking these photos I rudely interrupted two turkeys on a date at the art museum:

Next up let's go the other way, show us your bike next to a brand-new building or other construction you've seen recently completed, preferably something architecturally interesting.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

FBS posted:

Next up let's go the other way, show us your bike next to a brand-new building or other construction you've seen recently completed, preferably something architecturally interesting.

Here is my attempt at ~*art*~

This picture was better in my mind. It's kind of hard to capture the "interesting"ness of the building and also a motorcycle.

Here's a picture of the building. It doesn't have a clearly defined edge like typical buildings. It reminds me a little of 8 Spruce St.

It's all right. At least it's something. They're building two high-rises next to me at the moment and they are just nondescript glass-towers. They feel like they were picked out of a catalog.

I like buildings, so how about : show us your bike in front of a building you find to be beautiful, for whatever reason! It doesn't have to be new or old or in any particular condition.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Toe Rag posted:

This picture was better in my mind. It's kind of hard to capture the "interesting"ness of the building and also a motorcycle.

I think it came out pretty well. Taking photos for this thread is interesting because you have to be framing the photo in your head while you park the bike, and hopefully when you get off and open your camera you didn't screw it up too bad. My approach to photography is to take a million shots and hope a few of them come out decent.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Toe Rag posted:

Here's a picture of the building. It doesn't have a clearly defined edge like typical buildings. It reminds me a little of 8 Spruce St.

It's all right. At least it's something. They're building two high-rises next to me at the moment and they are just nondescript glass-towers. They feel like they were picked out of a catalog.

I like buildings, so how about : show us your bike in front of a building you find to be beautiful, for whatever reason! It doesn't have to be new or old or in any particular condition.
I don’t know that I think of this building as beautiful per se, but it is one I like. It’s the old city water works. It's perched on a canal and was part of the late 1800s water infrastructure that delivered water to the town. Water was delivered to a steam pump to pressurize pipes that ran throughout town, servicing taps, fire hydrants, and distribution stations. While this part of the earliest versions of the city's water infrastructure is no longer active, much of town still receives a non-potable water supply through a share-based canal system. Town is divided into water districts, and you get a set amount of water each week, and you claim your share by walking out to the canal at the back of your land and shifting around a system of flash boards so that it runs into your property. Most people pump it into a cistern or something like that, but a lot of the little farms and community gardens in town still use flood irrigation.

So while I was there I noticed this cottonwood next to the driveway, which is apparently the second biggest in the county.

New challenge: picture of your bike either at an old piece of civil/municipal infrastructure like my waterworks, or a big fuckin tree. Has to be remarkably big, at least for your area.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 3, 2020

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

New challenge: picture of your bike ... at ... a big fuckin tree. Has to be remarkably big, at least for your area.

I wish I could say I stumbled across this while wandering rural IL, but what actually happened is I googled "big tree near Rockford" and this popped right up. The tiny gravel parking lot is about half a mile from the tree itself, but since they were pretty serious about 'no motor vehicles' and my bike would never have made it anyway I stomped down the hill in my Alpinestars to check it out.

It is a pretty big fuckin tree. 2XL helmet for scale:

And, for any Riding Game sticklers, here's both my bike and the tree in the same shot:

Next: Post your bike at a noteworthy local natural phenomenon, with noteworthiness (or local-ness) determined at your discretion.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

FBS posted:

Illinois Stuff

I didn't realize you moved out there... I used to live in Aurora Illinois, and in Dubuque Iowa, Rockford is like a halfway point between the two. There are some drat good roads up that way if you don't mind a bunch of day rides.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Skreemer posted:

I didn't realize you moved out there... I used to live in Aurora Illinois, and in Dubuque Iowa, Rockford is like a halfway point between the two. There are some drat good roads up that way if you don't mind a bunch of day rides.

Yes I've spent a fair amount of time riding in southwest Wisconsin and found some spectacular roads. The good stuff is ~90 minutes from my place but :shrug: hey in DFW it took 45 minutes just to get to the edge of the metroplex. We've been blessed with an unusually mild autumn so I've had a lot more riding time up here than I expected.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Global warming means that’s sort of the new normal here. There are lots of years I ride deep into November or December. I’ve had my bike out the day after Christmas a few years back.

The only months guaranteed not to be rideable are January and February anymore. Not like it’s gonna be perfect in March or December but we’re getting much more rideable weather for more of the year.

I guess it’s the one little silver lining to the world eventually lighting on fire

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

FBS posted:

Next: Post your bike at a noteworthy local natural phenomenon, with noteworthiness (or local-ness) determined at your discretion.

I was sure someone would photo a rainbow before I got to the Mississippi river in Natchez, MS.

Next challenge: post your bike next to a statue that can in some way be related to your bike. Ex: this pig statue right next to me at the "Pig Out grill" in Natchez would be great if I owned a Harley.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Jack B Nimble posted:

I was sure someone would photo a rainbow before I got to the Mississippi river in Natchez, MS.

That's a great shot of the river. A couple weeks ago I made it to Dubuque IA at the end of a day trip hoping to get a majestic shot but all I found before it got dark was a boat ramp tucked in a meander.

My parents are from a river town (Quincy, IL) and my grandparents have a little house on the bluff. It's a boring place to live but I find the Mississippi itself pretty interesting.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Jack B Nimble posted:

Next challenge: post your bike next to a statue that can in some way be related to your bike. Ex: this pig statue right next to me at the "Pig Out grill" in Natchez would be great if I owned a Harley.

oh hey I live at the northern terminus of the trace :D

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jack B Nimble posted:

drat I’ve been missing the south lately and this does not help. Nice shot.

Protip: the Happy Trails OSR racks are a good cheap set that will hold those soft bags off at the perfect angle.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Haha, I have the happy trails rack, I probably just put the bags on wrong; I force em way back so the passenger pegs are still accessible, that might be it. I'll snap some pics of the bags and racks sometime.

It's in my plans to ride up the trace and do some motocamping, I'll have to let you guys know when I'm going up to the northern end.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Jack B Nimble posted:

Haha, I have the happy trails rack, I probably just put the bags on wrong; I force em way back so the passenger pegs are still accessible, that might be it. I'll snap some pics of the bags and racks sometime.

It's in my plans to ride up the trace and do some motocamping, I'll have to let you guys know when I'm going up to the northern end.

Oh yeah, the racks do sit way forward so you have to put them across the pillion seat.

Holler if you cross the big river and want some camping/route recs in Arkansas. I don’t live there any more but spent about 30 years there doing a bunch of riding and camping in the Ozarks and Ouachitas.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Next challenge: post your bike next to a statue that can in some way be related to your bike.

My Ducati and Rocky Marciano, the only heavyweight champion to finish his career undefeated. Rocky, like my Ducati, is Italian, but neither were assembled in Italy. Rocky was born in Brockton Massachusetts, and now the entire city is obsessed with him. The high school mascot is the Brockton Boxer (the dog), which is pretty clever.

Next: Your bike at a driving range.

I was trying to think of something that you wouldn't normally go to on a motorcycle, but bonus points if you can strap some clubs to the back.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Strife posted:

I was trying to think of something that you wouldn't normally go to on a motorcycle, but bonus points if you can strap some clubs to the back.

I think HD actually make golf bags, and golf bag racks, to fit on a Harley. They look very very stupid.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Strife posted:

Sorry, this is boring for me. The only driving range I know of is a 40 minute highway trek, and the place is right next to the highway so its not even in an interesting area. I'm going to cash in my mulligan -

FBS posted:

Being in Colorado, the Rocky Mountains are pretty much the defining natural phenomenon. The picture doesn't do them justice.

Although that's a bit of a copout, so lets find something a bit more nuanced.

Red Rocks park and amphitheater. Similar to Garden of the Gods, its a park with some really large rock formations which happen to be uniquely red in color. Popular for hiking/climbing. There is also an outdoor stage (sadly not in range of a bike photo) where a lot of popular concerts are held. Kind of unique setup.

So I'm pretty sure I technically violated the rules of the game, which means this post doesn't "count" and the driving range challenge still stands.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Brigdh posted:

(sadly not in range of a bike photo)

weird cause it looks like you're riding a sumo

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

captainOrbital posted:

weird cause it looks like you're riding a sumo

In his defense, those stairs are fuckin steep. And there are a lot of them.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
I've never bean (i have no idea where it is), but i did go to Garden of the Gods (and i rode a mountain bike there). That would be a great place to ride around. Maybe when the real world is back, and after i do socal supermoto, I'll fly to Denver and rent a bike for a week.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

captainOrbital posted:

I've never bean (i have no idea where it is), but i did go to Garden of the Gods (and i rode a mountain bike there). That would be a great place to ride around. Maybe when the real world is back, and after i do socal supermoto, I'll fly to Denver and rent a bike for a week.

https://goo.gl/maps/LZjFq41Zby9x9S8U9

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Graham Harley Jarvis could do it.

That looks like a nice spot.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

Strife posted:

It was closed for the season, but that's okay, because I don't golf.

It's the first day of Winter, so next up post your bike near something winter-related.

pimpbot
Apr 30, 2005
neeej!!!
College Slice

FBS posted:

It was closed for the season, but that's okay, because I don't golf.

It's the first day of Winter, so next up post your bike near something winter-related.

This is winter related enough i hope.

i have not seen the sun in like 4 months so someone please post your bike in front of either a sunset or a sunrise, preferably on a beach.

pimpbot fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Dec 25, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy poo poo that is nuts. Alaska I assume? How often are you riding the scooter up there in winter?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
That's a Swedish number plate

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Ah, didn’t even think to check the plate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

apparently the first of those little remote controlled indoor helicopters were invented by a guy in norway because there's absofuckinglutely nothing to do for the winter months of darkness