Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

O I'm familiar. But that doesn't mean it makes any drat sense.

Source : I'm Catholic* and lived in both Chinas. We're kind of thin on the ground.

*nominally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Things are hosed right now and deep down all of us wish it'd just...stop and go away. The reality is the answers are hard and probably far off, but Q offers a solution thats easy and could happen soon. Tomorrow even! I think that Dan Olson video was pretty insightful to note how flat earthers pivoted to QAnon as their doomsday cult failed to bear fruit. It does make me wonder what they'll do when Trump leaves office. The real fringe will stick around and keep doing the thing, some might even get violent but most arent going to do that so theyll need a new doomsday cult.

When Trump just leaves office after his second term and goes back to selling mail-order steaks instead of declaring himself God Emperor For Life, the meltdowns from the QAnon cultists will be incredible 🤣🤣

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Please don't talk about the idea of Trump getting a second term until it's least late enough that I can drink.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

VitalSigns posted:

When Trump just leaves office after his second term and goes back to selling mail-order steaks instead of declaring himself God Emperor For Life, the meltdowns from the QAnon cultists will be incredible 🤣🤣

Fake news.

Trump will still be in charge and the new figurehead President is really a patriot acting as the body double of the rightfully executed democratic satanist pedophile candidate.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
I love that there are still people who think this is going to turn around. This is the end of America. We aren't coming back.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

It doesn't look like it at first blush but I swear this is both amusing and becomes relevant : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTfhYyTuT44

(It's a long-form take on Flat Earthers that spins to talk about QAnon. And I've been following the dude for years and he's an engaging and good bread-tuber if you're into that.)

I watched this last night. It's great, engaging from the start.

My takeaway is that though in its current form QAnon is just a confused moral panic, because of the political environment in which it exists it is also for-real fascism. And that's how it should be construed first of all. We're lucky that the election is this November and not next November given its growth. (Which is not to say our true reality is sound and secure, only that the other reality would be worse.)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/JoeMyGod/status/1305549728348659712

quote:

The Arizona Republican Party recently ran a Facebook video spotlighting congressional candidate and self-described QAnon follower Daniel Wood. During that video, AZGOP state chair Kelli Ward [photo] told him that “you are a man after my own heart” and encouraged people to volunteer and contribute to his campaign.

Daniel Wood is running against Democratic Rep. Raul Grijalva in Arizona’s 3rd Congressional District. Wood has tweeted the QAnon slogan “WWG1WGA” (“where we go one, we go all”) dozens of times on his campaign Twitter account. He has also shared the QAnon video “Q – The Plan To Save The World REMASTERED.”

Additionally, Rep. Andy Biggs (R-AZ) is backing Wood and stated in his endorsement, “Wood is exactly the right person that we need to help continue the fight against human and drug trafficking and other border issues facing our state.” In August, Wood posted a picture of himself with Sen. Martha McSally at an event.

They just endorsed this guy

https://twitter.com/DWood4Congress/status/1305236668367007744

It’s a d13 district where incumbent won with 63% of vote

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

VitalSigns posted:

I wonder what they would do if he had another stroke or something, or all his Big Macs caught up with him, etc. Probably say he faked his own death in order to go behind the scenes and continue Trumpin'.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Sorry if I've asked this before, but what exactly are QAnon's goals considering (ive heard) half of them now are soccer moms?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Grouchio posted:

Sorry if I've asked this before, but what exactly are QAnon's goals considering (ive heard) half of them now are soccer moms?
"Save the children"

In actual practice it is "be furious about this poo poo they heard," with most of the conversation here being about the logistics of the spread of the material and how much of it is organic vs. malicious actors (and whether the malicious actors want some political goal, such as encouraging chaos in Western democracies, or just want to sell supplements).

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Grouchio posted:

The only goal is for everyone who said they were stupid to come crawling back begging for forgiveness once all their idiotic predictions come true.

Trump is going to pull off Hillary's mask and reveal the android underneath and then produce the death certificate dated Jan 17 2017, and he'll say "young people: your mom was right all along, I executed Hillary and Obama and replaced them with robot body doubles, now stop being gay and trans, accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior, throw away the pop music, go listen to Bruce Springsteen's songs about how America and war and Vietnam are great, then call up your mom and thank her for not vaccinating you when you were a kid and ask her to get you some Miracle Mineral Solution to cure your polio, measles, and covid-19"

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Grouchio posted:

The great awakening.

That's the day they rise up and lock their political opponents, critical members of the press and anyone who refuses to swear allegiance to Trump up in Guantanamo bay. To be tried and executed by military tribunal.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Wait what exactly did happen with the millions of sealed indictments? With the shift to saving the mole children I straight up forgot that was the original goal!

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

jojoinnit posted:

Wait what exactly did happen with the millions of sealed indictments? With the shift to saving the mole children I straight up forgot that was the original goal!

Doing a quick Twitter search, there's still some people carefully counting new sealed indictments and making predictions about what they mean for the great awakening, but at this point I'm pretty sure most of the Qanon community isn't even aware of the whole "sealed indictments" idea any more and thinks Trump is just straight up murdering villains John Wick-style

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Sep 14, 2020

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Grouchio posted:

Entertainment and a plausible excuse for dismissing those trivial, self-indulgent blm protests that pale in significance to the horrible things being done to white children.

There’s probably some kind of correlation between the decline in number of soap operas on tv and the rise of instagram and facebook lifestyle conspiracism.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Goal" implies a direction, which I think is iffy.

If you remember back to the Kony 2012 thing, it absolutely blew up overnight but nobody involved with it was actually gonna march off to Africa and arrest the dude. It was almost entirely composed of likes and shares, the point is the emotional fulfilment from doing that, the catharsis, the "goal" for most of the participants is simply participation. To the extent it has a political element I think it is quite similar, the goal is feeling like you're part of something, the actual desired material effects are wildly incoherent and probably entirely different from one person to the next.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
Thing bad, like and share if you think someone should do something

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Former Deputy National Security Advisor Ben Rhodes:

“I bet if you pulled the thread on Q anon, on a lot of this crazy Alex Jones stuff, a lot of these conspiracy theories' point of origin is back in Russia. All they have to do is fire that into the ether. And then they count on the right-wing machine to do the work for them.”

Interview with Larry Willmore: https://www.theringer.com/2020/9/12/21434363/ben-rhodes-on-missing-america-and-working-under-the-obama-administration

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Sep 15, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Big establishment security lib wants to blame russia for everything you say?

collocation
Jun 17, 2018

Christ

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Former Deputy National Security Advisor Ben Rhodes:

“I bet if you pulled the thread on Q anon, on a lot of this crazy Alex Jones stuff, a lot of these conspiracy theories' point of origin is back in Russia. All they have to do is fire that into the ether. And then they count on the right-wing machine to do the work for them.”

Fascinating interview with Larry Willmore: https://www.theringer.com/2020/9/12/21434363/ben-rhodes-on-missing-america-and-working-under-the-obama-administration

This points to it being an infowars style scam :

quote:

Who’s becoming rich off it? What’s the real motivation of whomever is pulling the levers?

That’s the most interesting thing to me about it: Why waste your time on it? I think for most sort-of enthusiasts, it’s just entertainment and it makes them feel good. It’s like a team, whatever it is. But then I think at the original manipulator level, [the goal] was to mobilize people as a kind of a social movement, a populist movement. [And] it was to sell crap. That’s what’s been so fascinating about Q. It right out of the gate was meant to sell T-shirts and cups and patches.

Meant to sell T-shirts and cups. It’s unbelievable.

It’s a merchandising—

A terrorist organization.

Yeah, a scheme.

A merchant-based domestic terrorist organization. Unbelievable.

It’s that natural thing of scale, which is not that much different than prosperity gospel, to a degree. If you watch that, they’re selling tapes and shows, and you buy into the group or whatever it might be. Well, then it becomes the opportunity for political mobilization. And I think that’s what’s remarkable this year. You see people gravitate toward that—that not just gravitate toward it, [but] use it to power votes at the ballot box, which is impressive, that it could grow in that way, especially when you don’t even know who started it.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/09/qanon-clint-watts-isis-comparisons-gist-transcript.html

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Good source, thanks. Remember merch is not not mutually exclusive with an agenda.

You kept listening after that, right? Specifically from 18:15?

edit:

FBI guy, Fellow at the foreign policy research institute, counter-terrorism staffer, national security expert: This is why I don’t believe Qanon is what it really claims to be. The initial production value of some of those videos was fantastic. So that’s not grassroots, usually. That signals to me that there is a propagandist behind the scenes that’s got something to gain. Financial, social mobilisation, political front. Something is going on. There’s gotta be resources, there’s gonna be people with talent, there’s gotta be dissemination that’s coordinated. That’s the one thing about Qanon that makes me think okay this isn’t exactly what it’s claiming to be, and that a lot of people are getting duped.
Pesca: So not just the Merch arm of the Lyndon Larouche army?
FBI guy: No.

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 15, 2020

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Good source, thanks. Remember merch is not not mutually exclusive with an agenda.

edit:

FBI guy, Fellow at the foreign policy research institute, counter-terrorism staffer, national security expert: This is why I don’t believe Qanon is what it really claims to be. The initial production value of some of those videos was fantastic. So that’s not grassroots, usually. That signals to me that there is a propagandist behind the scenes that’s got something to gain. Financial, social mobilisation, political front. Something is going on. There’s gotta be resources, there’s gonna be people with talent, there’s gotta be dissemination that’s coordinated. That’s the one thing about Qanon that makes me think okay this isn’t exactly what it’s claiming to be, and that a lot of people are getting duped.

So guy who makes money off telling you that the internet is full of dangerous people with an agenda who are hacking your brain says that internet phenom q-anon is run by people with an agenda who are hacking your brain.

I really wish you would shut the gently caress up, but failing that...

It's not that people in this thread mostly think your idea is necessarily false: that "there is some group behind Q with an agenda", just that we don't think it really matters, and it's also an undisprovable hypothesis in practical terms. Like you've made your arguments, people judged them.

so if you have something new to contribute about Q-anon, fine, but otherwise just let this thing go. If you care that much wait 3 months and do another write-up with the new breadcrumbs you've found and strung together.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE

edit:

I did, I posted whilst listening before that bit though.

Doesn't change my mind. A propagandist (or an advertising student) is possible but still doesn't mean state involvement is necessary. As it could be someones get rich quick scheme on the side, desperation having been laid off or even a bored retirement hobby.

It's only the first half the second half is out tomorrow IIRC.

I'm waiting for the next qanonanonymous podcast by Travis View to hear what he thinks about the recently exposed qanon app developer. Because that stunk of running a huge q-site just to make money off it.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/qanon-website-shuts-down-after-n-j-man-identified-as-operator-1.1492712

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

pseudanonymous posted:

It's not that people in this thread mostly think your idea is necessarily false: that "there is some group behind Q with an agenda", just that we don't think it really matters, and it's also an undisprovable hypothesis in practical terms. Like you've made your arguments, people judged them.

so if you have something new to contribute about Q-anon, fine, but otherwise just let this thing go. If you care that much wait 3 months and do another write-up with the new breadcrumbs you've found and strung together.

I explained this to him like a dozen times. Hopefully it sticks this time.

ShuckyDucky
Jun 19, 2008

Quack Quack
https://mobile.twitter.com/AKA_RealDirty/status/1303946282340421633

That's really something.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Can't believe China and Bill Gates have destroyed America under Trump's watch. Oh, wait, that's not what they're saying?

Can't believe China runs America. Oh, wait, that's not it?

Can't believe scooby doo is a democrat.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

Captain Monkey posted:

I explained this to him like a dozen times. Hopefully it sticks this time.

Please stop posting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Do you ever stop laughing and making cynical jokes for a stretch of 10-15 minutes and suddenly feel fear as you realize the enormity of what’s happening and that fascism is extremely real and rising on the backs of these chud morons?

I just got that real bad.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Do you ever stop laughing and making cynical jokes for a stretch of 10-15 minutes and suddenly feel fear as you realize the enormity of what’s happening and that fascism is extremely real and rising on the backs of these chud morons?

was there a crack and/or ping noise coming from your skull?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Exposure therapy helps. Immerse yourself in it enough and it doesn't even register.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I actually have quite a lot of "hope" I suppose in the sense that I'm not sure any country on earth other than maybe China has the actual serious political competence and economic power to do a repeat of the 30's. All the other major economic powers are either too decentralized or falling apart because they're run by gigantic failchildren. And as I said before I don't think fascism (yet) appeals to the people who will be of direct acting age when it all really falls to bits.

Mostly I think the coming decades are going to be very hard to predict what happens but I would be very surprised if it's just "fascism round 2". Atrocities yes but atrocities were never exclusive to the fascists, but the mass organization is far more powerful on the left than the right, I think, and it is getting more powerful over time as the right gets older and more and more entrenched in the existing power structure. You see it quite a lot with the Q thing, one of the most hopeful takeaways I think you can have from it is a combination of 1) its goal is so divorced from reality it might as well be loving posadism, it's as likely to end up with people heaven's gating themselves to contact the ayyliens to come and save the mole children as anything else. And 2) their desired change is basically "the president will save us" which suggests such a complete and utter sublimation of their political desires into the existing system. Even if they would claim to hate the system it's literally the overwhelming discharge path for their political energies. All they do is vote and turn up in really pissweak rallies and performatively go to restaurants without wearing masks. Compared to the raw energy of any other protest movement and especially the BLM stuff it's just pathetic.

It is the screaming of a dying order, I think. And I don't believe you can see the future of the right (if there is to be such a thing) in it. If there is a right wing threat to us in the future I don't think it's going to look like this. If anything I would probably suggest it's going to look a lot more like more overt state control over social media, not less. The wild west internet is more threatening to the right than it is to the left because the people who are more competent with it are using it to organize really good protests and really good documentation of state atrocities.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

I actually have quite a lot of "hope" I suppose in the sense that I'm not sure any country on earth other than maybe China has the actual serious political competence and economic power to do a repeat of the 30's. All the other major economic powers are either too decentralized or falling apart because they're run by gigantic failchildren. And as I said before I don't think fascism (yet) appeals to the people who will be of direct acting age when it all really falls to bits.

Mostly I think the coming decades are going to be very hard to predict what happens but I would be very surprised if it's just "fascism round 2". Atrocities yes but atrocities were never exclusive to the fascists, but the mass organization is far more powerful on the left than the right, I think, and it is getting more powerful over time as the right gets older and more and more entrenched in the existing power structure. You see it quite a lot with the Q thing, one of the most hopeful takeaways I think you can have from it is a combination of 1) its goal is so divorced from reality it might as well be loving posadism, it's as likely to end up with people heaven's gating themselves to contact the ayyliens to come and save the mole children as anything else. And 2) their desired change is basically "the president will save us" which suggests such a complete and utter sublimation of their political desires into the existing system. Even if they would claim to hate the system it's literally the overwhelming discharge path for their political energies. All they do is vote and turn up in really pissweak rallies and performatively go to restaurants without wearing masks. Compared to the raw energy of any other protest movement and especially the BLM stuff it's just pathetic.

It is the screaming of a dying order, I think. And I don't believe you can see the future of the right (if there is to be such a thing) in it. If there is a right wing threat to us in the future I don't think it's going to look like this. If anything I would probably suggest it's going to look a lot more like more overt state control over social media, not less. The wild west internet is more threatening to the right than it is to the left because the people who are more competent with it are using it to organize really good protests and really good documentation of state atrocities.

Well, thanks for that, OwlFancier. I don’t know if you’re right or not (of course), but it’s nice to get a break from the apocalyptic consensus.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

BUT HERE YOU ARE
I'm glad the hand of fate dealt us the comedy dipshit version of Nazi's this time around instead of the scary efficient ones.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's not great optimism but yeah, I have always been a bit dubious of the idea that we're just going to straight repeat the 20th century, as tempting as it sometimes is. The world is a bit different than it was then. And while there's likely a lot of dire poo poo in the future I think it's likely to be surprisingly different in many respects. Fascism I don't think is the insurgent new popular force sweeping away the old decadent order, it's mostly the establishment and the olds who are really into the fashy poo poo, which I think is perhaps a rather different situation? You can't fight a war with clapped out boomers.

I also think the hyperindividualism of the last 50 or so years has really had an effect on people, it's hard to imagine many people actually being on board with complete submission to society, so I don't think totalitarianism is going to be super popular in any form. As someone who is anarchist-ish though I'm quite a fan of it, I think there's fertile ground for decentralized bottom up politics there, you can attack both the crumbling idiocy of the established political system and its horrible inhabitants, while also attacking people who think the problem is that the state isn't bright and shiny and whirring well enough.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 15, 2020

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Oh yeah. I live in Florida, have asian kids, wife, in laws. Every minute is becoming less and less funny and more "what the gently caress are we going to do?". This poo poo is out of control, the president is literally telling his base my family and everyone similar is the reason covid exists, evidently I'm an "Un-American looter" because I support human rights, and when I say anything, I'm met with "just vote!". I feel you.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
It's pathetic at this time. Recently though there is the vigilante shooting in Wisconsin, the rumor-mongering about antifa burglars in Oregon. Police in New York demonstrably resistant to wearing masks, police unions embracing Trump; the head of a police union giving a Fox News interview with a clearly discernible Q cup in the background. Small strange outrages that begin to add up. Nonetheless I appreciate your optimism.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

indiscriminately posted:

It's pathetic at this time. Recently though there is the vigilante shooting in Wisconsin, the rumor-mongering about antifa burglars in Oregon. Police in New York demonstrably resistant to wearing masks, police unions embracing Trump; the head of a police union giving a Fox News interview with a clearly discernible Q cup in the background. Small strange outrages that begin to add up. Nonetheless I appreciate your optimism.

I would ask what the effect of the increasing militarization of the police and the brutality of the state have been, though. Because to my read it's radicalized a lot of people against them. They are rallying everyone they can but it's still a conflict of the establishment and the old and the comfortable against the young and the yearning for freedom and the new.

It's like fascism perhaps, but it's fascism against... nearly everyone younger than about 30-40? Which I don't think is something that works very well because you're inadvertently building class solidarity if you do that. Like you're seeing a lot of cross pollination between BLM and leftism and all sorts. Because people are seeing because of their situation, that they have common cause.

I think the new left with its focus on personal freedom of expression has the potential to be extremely powerful, it ties your personal freedom, your freedom from cruel structures, your freedom to explore your passions and interests, explicitly to things like antiracism, anticapitalism, anti authoritarianism in general. And I don't think it's coincidental that you find its opposite in the socially reactionary and hypercapitalist right. They might have bought the boomers with that stance, but they've also ceded some important ground to the left. It turns out if you pull away the taboos against stuff like being LGBT, against racial integration, against gender equality, people actually really like those things and integrate them into their lives, and they become a lot harder to attack, there are people alive today who grew up with those things and they are as natural and integral to them as breathing, and they will defend them as naturally as they would defend their right to breathe as well.

The retreat of the organs of the establishment overtly to the right, I think is very much that, a retreat, they are declaring themselves for the right but they are also declaring themselves against everybody else, which I think is an increasing number of people and I think that's why they're doing it, more of the public distrusts the police so they are becoming more open about their affiliations, which only breeds further distrust. Isolated terror attacks in the name of the right might kill people but I think it discredits them with ever more people as they do it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 15, 2020

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I mean, Q could possibly be used to judge how much of the public would be fine with mass arrests, tribunals and executions. And that seems to be a lot, as long as it was people who do not bow to The God Emperor Donald Trump the First.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think again, though, that that is concentrated among people who believe they would not be the target, because they are people who have lived their whole lives coddled from reality in nice suburban enclaves and financial security, who have had the ability to devote their lives to middle class white people hippy poo poo and religion and television and god knows what other slop. And those are already the people who don't want anything to change, don't want to be exposed to reality, who are natural reactionaries, and increasingly, are the old and comfortable because that's the only cohort of people who can sustain that deranged view of the world.

Which is why their politics are as utterly fantastical as their lives and all the rest of their beliefs. They've lived in a dream from birth but the dream is just really sad and poo poo. A lot of people are perfectly happy with atrocity as long as it isn't happening to them, they were for the rest of the US's history, when it was done abroad, when it was done only to people of the wrong race, or the wrong gender, or the wrong sexuality, but the difference I think is that now more than before, people who it is directed at domestically are communicating with each other and forming a united front against it. And with income inequality widening and becoming less purely racialized, it is becoming necessary to inflict it on more people to keep the comfortable dreaming section of society in their luxury.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 15, 2020