Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Bring back Ferrus Manus as a bunch of flying Hands, that can merge into one giant Hand for their special move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Bring back Ferrus Manus as a bunch of flying Hands, that can merge into one giant Hand for their special move.

Apparently there is no way to get the metal hat on the Master Hand but that's what it would be yeah?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

God the Lorgar/Corax exchange is among one of my favorite 40k bits. Give us more warp-charged primarch dueling.

'I am what I always have been,' said Corax. 'I am vengeance incarnate. I am justice delivered. This place, beyond the veil, has revealed what we all are. Underneath the veneer of humanity our father crafted for us, we are of the warp.'

'Have you come to make oath to the powers that are your true creator?'

'No. I swore to destroy all Chaos taint from the galaxy. You will be the first fallen brother to die beneath my blades.'

'I am not the creature you fought at Isstvan,' said Lorgar, raising his mace.

'Nor am I!'

Kalta-Ar barely followed the lunge of Corax, so swift it was. A black wind threw him aside as dark fire crackled from the rod of Lorgar. With a thunderous shockwave that hurled the Word Bearers to the ground, the two demigods clashed.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Ferrus Manus but his decapitated body has a hand for a head and his head has a hand growing out of the neck stump

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Weekend at Ferrus'

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SardonicTyrant posted:

I think the idea is that Astares/Custodes/Primarchs are biologically immortal, but the sheer wear and tear of a lifetime of hyperviolence wears down a transhuman's body much like how normal life wears down baseline humans.
Nah, the idea was that Blood Angels lived longer because they were vampires, and Dante was over a thousand because he was the head vampire. Then retcons and scope creep happened and now we have the idea that marines are meant to live forever rather than just a couple hundred years or so.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

MariusLecter posted:

Apparently there is no way to get the metal hat on the Master Hand but that's what it would be yeah?

Yeah but more Metalocalypse than Nintendo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Pyrolocutus posted:

God the Lorgar/Corax exchange is among one of my favorite 40k bits. Give us more warp-charged primarch dueling.

'I am what I always have been,' said Corax. 'I am vengeance incarnate. I am justice delivered. This place, beyond the veil, has revealed what we all are. Underneath the veneer of humanity our father crafted for us, we are of the warp.'

'Have you come to make oath to the powers that are your true creator?'

'No. I swore to destroy all Chaos taint from the galaxy. You will be the first fallen brother to die beneath my blades.'

'I am not the creature you fought at Isstvan,' said Lorgar, raising his mace.

'Nor am I!'

Kalta-Ar barely followed the lunge of Corax, so swift it was. A black wind threw him aside as dark fire crackled from the rod of Lorgar. With a thunderous shockwave that hurled the Word Bearers to the ground, the two demigods clashed.

What's this from? I know I'll end up disappointed by whatever ends up happening with Corax but just from his unceasing mission to gently caress up Lorgar I like him.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Inspector_666 posted:

What's this from? I know I'll end up disappointed by whatever ends up happening with Corax but just from his unceasing mission to gently caress up Lorgar I like him.

"Nevermore."

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Inspector_666 posted:

Sons of the Emperor anthology, "Shadow of the Past." Used to be a LE anthology but now retail.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I am disappointed in Galaxy In Flames / Horus Heresy 3.

My review:

Well that was a dull thud after the build up of the first two books. I'm terribly sorry to the author, but this book sucked. The characters were flattened, the action was boring and more IKEA-esque than thrilling, and I was bored. I had to skim the last 40% because I just didn't care. I knew what would happen and nothing I was reading made it interesting to read.

Honestly, if you're somehow reading this and you haven't read the Horus Heresy yet, I'll do you a favor: skip this book. I know it's foundational and stuff for the entire series, but it's a yawner and it'll make you want to stop reading and there's better times ahead.

The important movements: the Heresy comes into the open as Horus sends all of the loyalist marines to the surface of a planet and he nukes them, but thanks to carelessness warning is sent ahead of time and enough loyalists find cover that it turns into a several month long siege where the loyalists ultimately all* die, but crucially slow down Horus and his plans.

Also: the Eisenstein gets the last good remembrancers off of Horus' ship and makes a break for the warp and is off to warn the emperor.

There, I just summed up three hundred pages and that's the only real significant stuff in it. There was no nuance in this book, just characters settling into the roles they pretty much decided on in the last two books, violence, and Loken getting buried under a ton of rubble.

Also, shoutout to making Horus into a petty tyrant. He went from imposing Primarch with doubts finally deciding on his course of action in rebellion to basically a cartoon evil tyrant with a short temper. I know the plot required that he be sloppy so events could take place, but this was just stupid. Eesh.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

So I know Horus Heresy is a big deal and GW has been cranking out 500 books to fill it but like...

I don't care about any of the chaos legions.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

victrix posted:

So I know Horus Heresy is a big deal and GW has been cranking out 500 books to fill it but like...

I care about the Night Lords thanks to Simon Spurrier and ADB. I'd like to care about the rest of them but none of the other authors have pulled it off yet.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Okay I've shuffled my kindle and I am going to either read Brothers of the Snake, Path of the Warrior, or maybe (MAYBE) Horus Heresy 4 next. I'm going to eventually read all three, so there's no urgency to any of them, but that's the agenda. Just need to let my subconscious settle on space marines, eldar, or Garro's messed up starship adventures.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Snakez is so good. I love Abnett in general of course, but there's something about that book which feels so unique and almost forlorn.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
He also has a pretty good scene describing what space marines in action look like from a human perspective.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

victrix posted:

The Thousand Sons, Word Bearers, World Eaters and Night Lords have some really good stuff.

thocan
Jan 18, 2014

Telsa Cola posted:

He also has a pretty good scene describing what space marines in action look like from a human perspective.

I might have to check that out, I've always liked how he handles SM in Eisenhorn and Gaunt's Ghosts.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I care about the Night Lords thanks to Simon Spurrier and ADB. I'd like to care about the rest of them but none of the other authors have pulled it off yet.

Now that you're done with the initial trilogy, would highly recommend skipping ahead to The First Heretic, Aurelian, Know No Fear and Betrayer in that order.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Rat posted:

Now that you're done with the initial trilogy, would highly recommend skipping ahead to The First Heretic, Aurelian, Know No Fear and Betrayer in that order.

"read the best things in the series first!" I mean that's wise but like, I do have this idiot aspiration to read the whole thing and I don't want to run directly to the best stuff, that would leave me nothing to look forward to!

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I like to think the Night Lords and Templars would get along by being such four assholes.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I keep thinking Galaxy in Flames is the Age of Darkness anthology when it's brought up.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

thocan posted:

I might have to check that out, I've always liked how he handles SM in Eisenhorn and Gaunt's Ghosts.

The one I am thinking of is like one scene in the book so please keep that in mind.

That being said its a good book overall.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I am disappointed in Galaxy In Flames / Horus Heresy 3.

My review:

Well that was a dull thud after the build up of the first two books. I'm terribly sorry to the author, but this book sucked. The characters were flattened, the action was boring and more IKEA-esque than thrilling, and I was bored. I had to skim the last 40% because I just didn't care. I knew what would happen and nothing I was reading made it interesting to read.

Honestly, if you're somehow reading this and you haven't read the Horus Heresy yet, I'll do you a favor: skip this book. I know it's foundational and stuff for the entire series, but it's a yawner and it'll make you want to stop reading and there's better times ahead.

The important movements: the Heresy comes into the open as Horus sends all of the loyalist marines to the surface of a planet and he nukes them, but thanks to carelessness warning is sent ahead of time and enough loyalists find cover that it turns into a several month long siege where the loyalists ultimately all* die, but crucially slow down Horus and his plans.

Also: the Eisenstein gets the last good remembrancers off of Horus' ship and makes a break for the warp and is off to warn the emperor.

There, I just summed up three hundred pages and that's the only real significant stuff in it. There was no nuance in this book, just characters settling into the roles they pretty much decided on in the last two books, violence, and Loken getting buried under a ton of rubble.

This is how a lot of the Horus Heresy is. There's a ton of books there that are clearly just there because Games Workshop knew that 40k fans will buy anything. This will not improve. It will only get worse.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

StrixNebulosa posted:

"read the best things in the series first!" I mean that's wise but like, I do have this idiot aspiration to read the whole thing and I don't want to run directly to the best stuff, that would leave me nothing to look forward to!

Khizan posted:

This is how a lot of the Horus Heresy is. There's a ton of books there that are clearly just there because Games Workshop knew that 40k fans will buy anything. This will not improve. It will only get worse.

Yeeeeah gotta agree with Khizan on this one. There are a lot of badly written books in the HH series, probably the majority. (Just like the rest of 40k books in general.) Generally you'll be safe with ADB, Abnett, Chris Wraight and John French. The whole HH series doesn't really follow sequentially either, there's a lot of jumping around in the timeline to different perspectives.

But man, when it gets dire, it gets dire.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'm gonna guess you haven't read Lords of Silence? Lords of Silence is to the Death Guard as Nightlords Trilogy is to the Nightlords. Seriously, it is very good and finally made me "get" Nurgle and his followers.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Rat posted:

Yeeeeah gotta agree with Khizan on this one. There are a lot of badly written books in the HH series, probably the majority. (Just like the rest of 40k books in general.) Generally you'll be safe with ADB, Abnett, Chris Wraight and John French. The whole HH series doesn't really follow sequentially either, there's a lot of jumping around in the timeline to different perspectives.

Trust that I will skim and skip hard as I run into the dire ones. Also trust that I've hit a point where I need to see how bad things get for myself.

My vague grand plan that I refuse to commit to because I'm a mood reader first and foremost: use this Horus Heresy reading order and just go with wide-eyed bewilderment. Throw in bonus stuff as needed. Take breaks as needed. Reach the Siege of Terra at roughly the same speed the publishing schedule did. Post reviews in here as I go.

Anyways in the meantime I'm settling into Brothers of the Snake and god it's so nice to read actually good writing. I missed you, Abnett. I should try Eisenhorn again, see if I like it this time.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I'll be interested what you have to say of Age of Darkness.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

I know this is the Warhammer thread and we all read Warhammer but, come on, think of the opportunity cost, all the actually good books you could read instead (literally 50+). I promise you, you're going to end up reading far worse books than Galaxy In Flames.

Brendan Rodgers fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 16, 2020

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Peter Fehevari on his next book: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/09/16/the-reverie-the-author-speaks/

Thirteenth Psalm and Requiem Infernal were both cracking (haven't read Fire Caste yet though), looking forward to this one.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pyrolocutus posted:

Peter Fehevari on his next book: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/09/16/the-reverie-the-author-speaks/

Thirteenth Psalm and Requiem Infernal were both cracking (haven't read Fire Caste yet though), looking forward to this one.

Yesssssssss I am excited. I went on a dark coil binge and this loving slaps

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
CAWL UNVEILS THE PRIMARIS TO GUILLIMAN!
(Spoilers for Avenging Son)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNNpvacYHaI

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Rat posted:

Has John French written any non-HH books lately? Ahriman was a banger, but that was a while ago and I don't think he's done any standalone books since.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

French did a second Horusian Wars book in 2018 and there was an anthology in 2019.

I liked the first one.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Horusian Wars is an excellent Inquisitor series. Only slightly below Eisenhorn/Ravenor and Vaults of Terra in quality. It's short story anthology, Divination, is the best BL anthology I've read. Each story follows a member of his retinue in their prior lives so you don't even have to read the series to enjoy it.

I would recommend the series to anyone who likes Inquisitor stuff. I think it's French's best work and enjoyed it more than Ahriman.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Anyone read the Necromunda book Soulless Fury? Good, average, iffy?

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I know this is the Warhammer thread and we all read Warhammer but, come on, think of the opportunity cost, all the actually good books you could read instead (literally 50+). I promise you, you're going to end up reading far worse books than Galaxy In Flames.

I would say that Galaxy In Flames actually is about as bad as it gets quality wise, maybe not actually the worst in terms of writing but definitely down there. What makes other Heresy books worse than #3 is that they, unlike Galaxy, are often completely inconsequential. The latter at least sets off the whole civil war thing whereas Battle for the Abyss for example, is an entire, terrible book that gets briefly alluded to maybe three in the rest of the series.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Thread needs a serious reading guide/order info post

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Lol they announced a Sororitas VR game. I know it's gonna suck but I really want it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oJbyiKd2js

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lol it looks terrible. Alyx 40K it aint.