Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pram posted:

why are you sshing into containers lol

look when you :justpost: from the hip not every joke will land

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

pram posted:

its installed by default on ubuntu and rhel so way to out yourself using arch or gentoo or some other nerd bullshit

Not in a minimal install, which really is where you should be starting when you build your server

pram
Jun 10, 2001
oh my god just imagine those wasted extra dozens of precious megabytes

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

sorry im not installing fedora workstation on my iot dildo controller

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

i helped an azure iot dev at MS setup a yocto toolchain in wsl on his MS issued surfacebook

i felt so drat smug when he said "wow this is really slow"

yes... yes it is, you should ask someone about that :unsmigghh:

a bit of a surprise, specifically compilation and such dev tasks wsl2 does really well both in my experience and in tests: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=wsl-wsl2-tr3970x&num=5

e: in fact, triple-check that you are on wsl2 (wsl --list --verbose, version column should be 2s), even with wsl2 installed and enabled new vm's do not necessarily default to it. as it is an entirely pure vm running on an ext4 vhd there is no reason why it shouldn't be within a reasonable distance of most linux vm work.

Cybernetic Vermin fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 15, 2020

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://www.theregister.com/2020/09/15/microsoft_submits_linux_kernel_patches/

Microsoft brings us one step closer to Hyper-V without Windows. Possibly Azure without Windows.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

starbucks hermit posted:

Microsoft brings us one step closer to Hyper-V without Windows. Possibly Azure without Windows.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

a bit of a surprise, specifically compilation and such dev tasks wsl2 does really well both in my experience and in tests: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=wsl-wsl2-tr3970x&num=5

e: in fact, triple-check that you are on wsl2 (wsl --list --verbose, version column should be 2s), even with wsl2 installed and enabled new vm's do not necessarily default to it. as it is an entirely pure vm running on an ext4 vhd there is no reason why it shouldn't be within a reasonable distance of most linux vm work.

that was a while ago but i just checked and my laptop was definitely not using wsl2 :tipshat:

pram
Jun 10, 2001
the linux is coming from inside the windows

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
imagine going back to slashdot 20 years ago and telling them that the year of linux on the desktop would be 2020 and the winning distro would be microsoft windows

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Soricidus posted:

imagine going back to slashdot 20 years ago and telling them that the year of linux on the desktop would be 2020 and the winning distro would be microsoft windows

EMBRACE EXTEND EXTINGUISH! EMBRACE EXTEND EXTINGUISH! EMBRACE EXTEND EXTINGUISH!

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
MICRO$HAFT WINBLOW$

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

MICRO$HAFT WINBLOW$

Can you still hex edit command.com?

I miss running an os from a real company like Megahaard.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

RFC2324 posted:

Can you still hex edit command.com?

I miss running an os from a real company like Megahaard.

i have bad news for you

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

that was a while ago but i just checked and my laptop was definitely not using wsl2 :tipshat:

much as i like wsl2 it is incredibly dumb how convoluted the setup process is, to in addition have this particular trap that i too have fallen into.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i keep meaning to write a decent ssh manager with good tabs and native .net ssh but eh effort. janky mremoteng with weird embedded putty is good enough. does osx have a good equivalent?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
what even are you asking

can you ssh to other systems easily? uh yeah

pram
Jun 10, 2001

my stepdads beer posted:

i keep meaning to write a decent ssh manager with good tabs and native .net ssh but eh effort. janky mremoteng with weird embedded putty is good enough. does osx have a good equivalent?

god windows janitors are sad lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
'ssh manager'

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
*finally finishes wrangling fiddly little dropdowns and establishes an ssh connection*

wait what the gently caress is this? where are the buttons. what does $ even mean

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
ok i'll bite. how are you supposed to manage your list of servers connections? i am talking here about an enterprise environment with more servers than you can memorize and some of them require weird configurations (encoding, ciphers, etc...).

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

no dont bite

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
:justpost:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

ok i'll bite. how are you supposed to manage your list of servers connections? i am talking here about an enterprise environment with more servers than you can memorize and some of them require weird configurations (encoding, ciphers, etc...).

'Include /sysadmin/git/repo/clone/path/ssh_config' in ~/.ssh/config, along with sane tab-completion and naming schemes, op

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Truga posted:

'Include /sysadmin/git/repo/clone/path/ssh_config' in ~/.ssh/config, along with sane tab-completion and naming schemes, op

lol no. i am not a caveman.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

in the settings.json file for windows terminal

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

ya it's this. lol if you think memorising IPs or janitoring a text file with vim is going to be sufficient

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

pram posted:

god windows janitors are sad lol

i have to manage more than just some kafka instances pram

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010

my stepdads beer posted:

ya it's this. lol if you think memorising IPs or janitoring a text file with vim is going to be sufficient

nobody said anything about memorising ips or using vim

I could see the point of a purpose built tool for editing your ssh_configs that you keep in version control. idk why you’d want it to make the connections as well.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Soricidus posted:

nobody said anything about memorising ips or using vim

I could see the point of a purpose built tool for editing your ssh_configs that you keep in version control. idk why you’d want it to make the connections as well.

idk think of it like using a browser for all your ssh connections. it handles 'bookmarks' and tab management. it even does tmux-like splitting within the window

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

the winamp playlist experience for ssh

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

vs playing individual files from the file explorer? yeah I guess man

pram
Jun 10, 2001

my stepdads beer posted:

i have to manage more than just some kafka instances pram

dont manage them at all like this then, use something like ansible and an actual inventory

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

my stepdads beer posted:

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
SecureCRT wasn't bad like 10 years ago I guess

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Rufus Ping posted:

SecureCRT wasn't bad like 10 years ago I guess

i used it when i was in operation. it was extremely need suiting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i love managing my ssh

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the russians used a text file

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

putty still works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

mremoteng is probably the best option on windows if you don't want to just save a bunch of ssh one-lines in your neckbeard terminal

choco install mremoteng