Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Crosswell posted:

I have this idea in my head that everyone who relates a topic to George Soros is a complete moron but no clue where the idea came from. Who is George Soros and why do stupid people bring him up?

Besides what Mr. Nice! said, like many wealthy people he throws some of his money at causes he finds to be good, causes that tend to be in the center-left. This is not at all unusual for a rich person. Almost certainly because he is jewish, though, people in the far right fixated on him as being some evil puppetmaster behind everything the left does anywhere ("a secret cabal of wealthy jews are controlling the world, wake up sheeple!" has been a common refrain of the white supremacist far right for a very long time). The Soros scare eventually permeated out to the less-far-right and a lot of other shitheads believe the puppetmaster part, many of whom probably aren't aware of the Jewish part.

In short, ooga booga scary rich leftist puppetmaster man, started by really far right white supremacists but caught on with run-of-the-mill conservatives too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
here's an article about when he took that billion from the bank of england:

https://www.bosshunting.com.au/hustle/george-soros-made-1-billion-single-day/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHDsO7gvXHQ

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

FCKGW posted:

The problem basically boils down to a very old piece of company software that generates specific labels but only allow you to print one at a time on a standard Avery label sheet so if you don't want to waste an entire sheet every time you print, it's gotta make 30 passes.

I agree it's a terrible design but also we have to keep one Windows XP machine running IE6 around JUST to do this specific task so you can see the situation I'm in here.
What the fuuuuuuuuuuck?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Also one of Soros' pasttimes is funding projects in his birth country, Hungary. Notably, the Central European University which is a pretty liberal institution. The current Hungarian government has a visceral dislike for leftists and minorities, so Soros a wealthy liberal jew from overseas, is an extremely convenient scapegoat for the country's ills. I don't think he's a fantastic guy by any means but its kinda funny just how many horrible things he has been accused of at this point.

So if you see people angry about Soros, you could be dealing with Qanon believers or reactionary right wingers from the US, but it could just as well be some angry Hungarian fascists.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 17, 2020

ThaBus
Nov 12, 2013

Ironically by basically forcing the brits to acknowledge how weak the pound really was and letting it settle to its "actual" level he may have done more to help the british economy than any finance minister, shame about the 3 billion the BoE set on fire though.

Also all the conspiracy talk about him is in large part because he is unusually willing to throw millions at and be associated with stuff right-wingers really hate like immigrant support, prison reform, transparent government etc. and some of his money showering has had genuine impact which is terrifying to the far-right (and even ~normal~ right nowadays)

Carillon
May 9, 2014

What makes polyrhythms different than just a straight rhythm? Like I was looking up at say 4:3 and the phrase was "what atrocious weather" and I don't know how that's different than a 5/4 time signature?

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

Carillon posted:

What makes polyrhythms different than just a straight rhythm? Like I was looking up at say 4:3 and the phrase was "what atrocious weather" and I don't know how that's different than a 5/4 time signature?

A polyrhythm is just two rhythms with fundamentally different divisions happening at once, whereas in a straight rhythm all of the notes fall into the same basic fundamental divisions. Quarter-note triplets played over one beat in 4/4 time are an example of a polyrhythm; quarter notes played over the same beat in 4/4 time are straight. The notation 4:3 is a further subdivision, indicating that four notes are to be played evenly over the space of three.

5/4 is a time signature and not a polyrhythm, and all it means is that a full bar is equal to five quarter notes. Here is a bar of 5/4 that has had a 4:3 polyrhythm imposed on its final three beats:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

I had never heard of polyrhythm so I did a quick you tube search. This explained them pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1pejTgLuhA

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Slimy Hog posted:

I had never heard of polyrhythm so I did a quick you tube search. This explained them pretty well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1pejTgLuhA

This is a pretty good video, thanks.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Thanks for that insight, you can see I'm not well versed in theory at all. I guess I meant I'm not sure why if the interval is equal between each note in a polyrhythm it's different than say straight quarter notes played in a row. But I'll check out that video and see !

Edit: Whelp answered it already in that the intervals aren't equally spaced haha, thanks for that video.

Carillon fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 17, 2020

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Van Dis posted:

Quarter-note triplets played over one beat in 4/4 time are an example of a polyrhythm; quarter notes played over the same beat in 4/4 time are straight.

Was a word meant to be different here? Isn't that the same thing twice?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Hyperlynx posted:

Was a word meant to be different here? Isn't that the same thing twice?
"Quarter-note triplets" are 3 notes played in the time 2 quarter notes normally would be. Like, each is 2/3 of a beat long. They're admittedly not the best named.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

In this story a guy who shot and killed someone was charged with first degree murder, but that charge was dropped because he pled guilty of conspiracy to commit murder.

What on earth does that mean?

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

In this story a guy who shot and killed someone was charged with first degree murder, but that charge was dropped because he pled guilty of conspiracy to commit murder.

What on earth does that mean?
Just a plea deal. Probably didn't have a great case on the murder charge, but a better one on the other shooting. That story indicates there were two shootings, presumably by the same guy.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Trapick posted:

"Quarter-note triplets" are 3 notes played in the time 2 quarter notes normally would be. Like, each is 2/3 of a beat long. They're admittedly not the best named.

Whoops! Completely missed the word "triplets". My bad.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

How come you never see people with disabilities on game shows as contestants?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Drimble Wedge posted:

It’s very rare for whatever reason. I recall a guy with a vision problem on Jeopardy years ago. Apparently normally, when the players can buzz in, a light off screen goes on. Since the guy couldn’t see (Well? At all? Don’t exactly remember), they added a beeping noise while he was on.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos

Drimble Wedge posted:

I mean uhh it's not nice to say but most people don't like being reminded that disabled people exist. Our society generally prefers to keep them locked away if possible so that nobody has to be reminded that life isn't fair and some people just get hosed by random chance. Nobody's going to choose a disabled person as a contestant for their game show, it makes for less people wanting to watch your show.

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

fartknocker posted:

It’s very rare for whatever reason. I recall a guy with a vision problem on Jeopardy years ago. Apparently normally, when the players can buzz in, a light off screen goes on. Since the guy couldn’t see (Well? At all? Don’t exactly remember), they added a beeping noise while he was on.

I remember that, and somehow it seems very fitting that Jeopardy would be the ones to do that.

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

I mean uhh it's not nice to say but most people don't like being reminded that disabled people exist. Our society generally prefers to keep them locked away if possible so that nobody has to be reminded that life isn't fair and some people just get hosed by random chance. Nobody's going to choose a disabled person as a contestant for their game show, it makes for less people wanting to watch your show.

That kind of fits too, unfortunately. :( I could see The Wall or whatever it's called bringing on some Inspiring Person With A Disability; the game part of the show is fun but the part where they basically have a family therapy session over their decisions is cringe-inducing.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah the cynical answer is that people with visibly apparent disabilities are probably considered by the producers as "undesirable" to see on TV. Unless you can paint it as a wow look at this person overcoming adversity tearjerker story, which they do sometimes on the more drawn out reality/game shows where they do corny biographical pieces on every contestant. But in a game show of many quick contestants like wheel of fortune or price is right or whatnot, I imagine the producers shy away from people with disabilities because it "doesn't make for good TV."

Which is awful and shouldn't be that way, that's just my cynical guess at how it is.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Those shows (wheel of fortune et al.) are also just ads for the prizes. You don’t see people with disabilities in commercials for the same reason you don’t see them in the long-form game show version.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
It also depends on the type of game the show is. For example, here’s a video about a blind contestant on Jeopardy:

https://youtu.be/zwxM3QTUkzs

That’s not the guy I was thinking of myself, but they mention he also got a Braille sheet listing the categories. For Jeopardy or most quiz shows, I’d imagine it’s fairly easy to work around someone with some disabilities like being blind, as they’d just have to remove visual clues from that show. In contrast, I don’t know how a blind contestant could as easily compete on a show like Price is Right. It’s much more visually based. The games are also semi-random and can involve some degree of physicality to them, which you’ll see effect contestants at times (What comes to my mind is some of the timed games and an older player who clearly can’t move as quickly).

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Im looking for a old meme.

Its a guy shrugging with a backwards cap on and it says something like This Meme Brought To You By Bros Incorporated

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

There's the time a lady in a wheelchair won a treadmill on The Price is Right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ipvwMkiGTc (I was kinda concerned about a channel called The Cripple Guy, but turns out most of it is videos of people in wheelchairs doing cool poo poo and compilations of people with functioning legs tripping and falling :roflolmao:)

Realistically, the biggest obstacle for disabled folks is probably navigating the sets.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I remember a deaf person on WoF, Pat asked how to sign "Spin the wheel," the teammate showed and the guy immediately spun the wheel which wasn't supposed to happen.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

I have a cheap Ikea desk chair with casters like this:

I also have cheap wood laminate floors, so I have been using a (short pile) rug under my desk to avoid damage to the floor.
The problem is that the chair is really hard to roll around now and usually the rug ends up bunching up instead of the chair moving.

I've been thinking about upgrading the casters to this type:

Do they work well on carpeted floors/a rug?

(alternatively, can I use them long term on the cheap laminate flooring without damaging it?)

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Drimble Wedge posted:

I’m watching an episode of Nailed It! on Netflix from season 1 that has a deaf contestant on it with her interpreter.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Moo the cow posted:

I also have cheap wood laminate floors, so I have been using a (short pile) rug under my desk to avoid damage to the floor.
The problem is that the chair is really hard to roll around now and usually the rug ends up bunching up instead of the chair moving.

(alternatively, can I use them long term on the cheap laminate flooring without damaging it?)

I think you want a chair mat - there are ones with spikes to dig into carpet, and I think there are flat ones to protect laminate flooring.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Drimble Wedge posted:

all media is inherently manipulative and there is little profit motive for showing adversity you can't spend your way out of

Moo the cow posted:

no they aren't great on carpet (better than those plastic fuckers tho), yes they'll gently caress up your floor less. if you race your office chair at all they're a huge upgrade

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Moo the cow posted:

Great on wood, fine on carpet without a mat, suck on carpet with a mat

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

dirby posted:

I think you want a chair mat - there are ones with spikes to dig into carpet, and I think there are flat ones to protect laminate flooring.

owlhawk911 posted:

no they aren't great on carpet (better than those plastic fuckers tho), yes they'll gently caress up your floor less. if you race your office chair at all they're a huge upgrade

dupersaurus posted:

Great on wood, fine on carpet without a mat, suck on carpet with a mat

Thanks.

I've read lots of positive reviews, but they never state what flooring they are using them on and I'd hate to screw up my current flooring, but I was concerned that the thinner rollerblades would be more damaging on wood/slower on carpeting.

owlhawk911
Nov 8, 2019

come chill with me, in byob

Moo the cow posted:

Thanks.

I've read lots of positive reviews, but they never state what flooring they are using them on and I'd hate to screw up my current flooring, but I was concerned that the thinner rollerblades would be more damaging on wood/slower on carpeting.

if you're a *real* fancy boy you can get rollerblade wheels in all different durometers to further customize the handling of your high-performance office chair

but really i think they work better mostly just cause they're bigger

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

owlhawk911 posted:

if you're a *real* fancy boy you can get rollerblade wheels in all different durometers to further customize the handling of your high-performance office chair

but really i think they work better mostly just cause they're bigger

They also have proper bearings (lovely casters are just a bushing i.e. wheel sits directly around shaft), and less gaps for carpeting to get caught up in

My dad did a custom replacement on his rolling suitcase with rollerblade wheels when his casters broke and now that poo poo flies through the airport.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I'm looking into second hand micro form factor optiplexes on ebay and basically none of the listings or store reviews mention whether the external power supply is included. Sometimes it's shown on one of the stock images, most of the times not. I'm not ebay savvy at all and I don't have a clue whether to expect it to be included at all. Is it standard one way or the other?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Lately our clothes have been smelling funky so I decided to clean our HE washer.

I started by cleaning out the pump filter then using Bar Keepers Friend to scrub the door gasket. I ran a rinse-only cycle to wash the cleaner out and then found these plugs of biofilm jelly coming in through the drum holes :barf:

My washer doesn't have a self-cleaning cycle/mode so I just threw in a couple of OxiClean pods and ran it on the hottest, filthiest setting. Do you think that will do it or should I take other measures? We tried the vinegar method recently, but that doesn't seem to do much.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
You need to put the washer into a larger washer. Good luck.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Mak0rz posted:

Do you think that will do it or should I take other measures? We tried the vinegar method recently, but that doesn't seem to do much.
I did some empty cycles with a dishwasher tablet based on the recommendation of someone here and it certainly seemed to help. Don't remember if it needed to be hot.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Flipperwaldt posted:

I'm looking into second hand micro form factor optiplexes on ebay and basically none of the listings or store reviews mention whether the external power supply is included. Sometimes it's shown on one of the stock images, most of the times not. I'm not ebay savvy at all and I don't have a clue whether to expect it to be included at all. Is it standard one way or the other?
If it isn't specifically stated in the auction, I assume it isn't included - then I send a message to the seller to confirm one way or the other.

Mak0rz posted:

Lately our clothes have been smelling funky so I decided to clean our HE washer.

I started by cleaning out the pump filter then using Bar Keepers Friend to scrub the door gasket. I ran a rinse-only cycle to wash the cleaner out and then found these plugs of biofilm jelly coming in through the drum holes :barf:

My washer doesn't have a self-cleaning cycle/mode so I just threw in a couple of OxiClean pods and ran it on the hottest, filthiest setting. Do you think that will do it or should I take other measures? We tried the vinegar method recently, but that doesn't seem to do much.

I tried vinegar in the past and it did nothing except make it smell like fish and chips.

Instead:

On the hottest cycle it does the trick.

devilmonk
May 21, 2003

What happened to that second stimulus check? That not happening anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

devilmonk posted:

What happened to that second stimulus check? That not happening anymore?

The senate keeps sitting on everything (but watch them push RBG's replacement through asap.)