Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Gaz-L posted:

Wasn't Tatanka a case of 'brought him in for a nostalgia show, worked with Angle, Angle made him look great so hired because they didn't realise Kurt carried him'?

Said match was actually against Eugene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Max Coveri posted:

Said match was actually against Eugene.
No, I'm pretty sure it was Angle, too. But then eventually Tatanka turned heel and started working like he was Wahoo and the run was redeemed.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was a match against Eugene Angle interfered in. Tatanka has never faced Angle.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I never have ever eaten marijuana!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
There's also a pretty big gap between that match (Eugene vs. Tatanka with Angle interfering) on August 1, 2005 and his actual return to the company (a house show loop tagging with Shelton Benjamin December 27-30 2005, with a televised return at the Royal Rumble 2006 a month later).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Wasn't Tatanka just super over because of nostalgia and they figured it must be because he's still got it?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Eugene Angle

This would have been so much better than "Jason Jordan, Angle's son."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Even so, on what loving planet does it make sense for him to suddenly be best friends with Matt Hardy? I think he was thirteen during Tatanka's first run.

Oh goddamnit...

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It always shocks me to realize how far back the Hardys actually wrestled in WWF, so I had to look it up, and Matt Hardy and Tatanka did face off during Tatanka’s original run.

https://youtu.be/iFIm58olAIU

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

What was the deal with Christopher Daniel's fallen angel gimmick? Was he supposed to be a school shooter?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

fatherofmustard posted:

What was the deal with Christopher Daniel's fallen angel gimmick? Was he supposed to be a school shooter?

just a general goth gimmick. it was something he was doing on the indies starting around 1998, he'd drop it for wwf and wcw spots, and he was supposed to be the dark hooded figure vampiro served before wcw finally died. he was not one of the contracts picked up. he reprised this role more or less in ROH when he formed the prophecy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJk3i8_0R-g

here's a 2001 tryout he had after the buzz from the king of the indies tournament in 2000 (not the famous one that would be the launching pad for roh later that year)

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 20, 2020

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

JOHN CENA posted:

just a general goth gimmick. it was something he was doing on the indies starting around 1998, he'd drop it for wwf and wcw spots, and he was supposed to be the dark hooded figure vampiro served before wcw finally died. he was not one of the contracts picked up. he reprised this role more or less in ROH when he formed the prophecy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJk3i8_0R-g

here's a 2001 tryout he had after the buzz from the king of the indies tournament in 2000 (not the famous one that would be the launching pad for roh later that year)

Why is the commentary talking about Tajiri using an octopus when he's not in the match.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Scoot Andrews was criminally underappreciated.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

fatherofmustard posted:

Was he supposed to be a school shooter?

Genuine lol

Felt like a pretty standard cult leader sort of gimmick back in early ROH. I feel like it turned into "just sort of a guy" eventually though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

fatherofmustard posted:

Originally it was more of a preacher/cult leader thing right down to wearing a Catholic priest's vestments.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Eat My Fuc posted:

Why is the commentary talking about Tajiri using an octopus when he's not in the match.
I was gonna say "they were probably beaming back some commentary touch ups," but then I realized it's WWE-sourced with the timecodes, not a satellite feed, so...I don't know?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

The Berzerker posted:

Genuine lol

Felt like a pretty standard cult leader sort of gimmick back in early ROH. I feel like it turned into "just sort of a guy" eventually though.

It definitely did. Daniels never came off as enough of an rear end in a top hat to make that gimmick work anyway.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Does anyone here have experience buying from IVP Videos? I'm looking to buy the Big Egg Universe Bluray but the site is not secure per Chrome so i'm weary to put in my card information.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

davidbix posted:

I was gonna say "they were probably beaming back some commentary touch ups," but then I realized it's WWE-sourced with the timecodes, not a satellite feed, so...I don't know?

the audio is all sorts of hosed up, it syncs for a bit to the match and desynchs a cpl minutes later. thats a really cool clip tho. i love watching wrestling without commentary i really wish it were an option sometimes. like a fite.tv feed. e: i suppose it would lose its charm in the current times

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
People have joked that Tatanka was accidentally hired when they wanted to reboot ECW and hire Masato Tanaka.
Buffalo!

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Golden Bee posted:

People have joked that Tatanka was accidentally hired when they wanted to reboot ECW and hire Masato Tanaka.
Buffalo!

If Laurinaitis was in charge of talent relations at the time it's possible

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
You know times were tough when Tatanka of all people was getting a nostalgia pop.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

You know times were tough when Tatanka of all people was getting a nostalgia pop.

Wait 20 years when Baron Corbin is brought back to battle Johnny Gargano.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

BrigadierSensible posted:

Wait 20 years when Baron Corbin is brought back to battle Johnny Gargano.
Tatanka debuted on WWF television in January 1992, and his main run lasted a little over four years, during which time he got two Intercontinental title matches (both on TV, not PPV) and one tag team title shot. His highest profile victory was against Lex Luger in 1994, probably.

Baron Corbin's main roster debut was at Wrestlemania in 2016, so he's already lasted longer than Tatanka, and has consistently been booked stronger than Tatanka. I know he's generally lost most of his big matches and pretty much everyone thinks they sucked but he's main evented PPVs, won King of the Ring, won Money in the Bank, gotten world title shots, hell he main evented Smackdown two days ago, which is higher on the card than Tatanka ever was.

Not that he (or Tatanka honestly) should have gotten big nostalgia pops, I guess my point is that as bad as the current shows are and as few people are watching them, there's at least Stuff to Remember about Baron Corbin, more than Tatanka.

But again, if you're from a hot era, even if you didn't really do much in that era, you're going to get a bigger nostalgia pop than someone who got pushed relatively hard in a dead period. Hacksaw Jim Duggan and The Godfather would get bigger 'return pops' in a nostalgia battle royal than Carlito and Vladimir Kozlov.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I think that was also the era of Road Warrior Animal at least a decade past his prime, Cool Motorcycle (actually abusive Chad) Guy Chuck Palumbo, Crossdressing Vito, Jimmy Wang Yang and the like. Smackdown...had some characters in that timeframe.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 20, 2020

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

ChrisBTY posted:

I think that was also the era of Road Warrior Animal at least a decade past his prime, Cool Motorcycle (actually abusive Chad) Guy Chuck Palumbo, Crossdressing Vito, Jimmy Wang Yang and the like. Smackdown...had some characters in that timeframe.
There was a lot of overlap between some very bad stuff in 2005-2006

The Mexicools - June 2005 to June 2006
Road Warrior Animal - July 2005 to May 2006
The Dicks - October 2005 to February 2006
Tatanka - December 2005 to January 2007
The Gymini - January 2006 to January 2007
Cross Dressing Vito - May 2006 to May 2007
Jimmy Wang Yang - August 2006 to April 2010

Abusive Mechanic Chuck Palumbo managed to miss most of this, as he was released shortly after debuting the gimmick in 2004, but got re-signed and made his re-debut in May 2007 which he where he was dating Michelle McCool.

Also to really hammer home June 2005 as the start of some sort of Bad Era of Smackdown, that was the month that Muhammad Hassan got drafted from Raw over to Smackdown, where they almost immediately put him in a feud with Undertaker and gave him terrorist henchmen.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I don't even know what The Gymini is.

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I don't even know what The Gymini is.

ECW's Nova was doing a fitness instructor gimmick as Simon Dean and they were his tag team for some reason

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

saffi faildotter posted:

ECW's Nova was doing a fitness instructor gimmick as Simon Dean and they were his tag team for some reason

Weren't The Gymini also TNA's The Johnsons? But not Smackdown's similarly named The Dicks?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Tatanka had an odd sort of push where he was undefeated for a straight year after his debut, but still never beat anyone bigger than Rick Martel during that span

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Tatanka had an odd sort of push where he was undefeated for a straight year after his debut, but still never beat anyone bigger than Rick Martel during that span

Partky because their heel roster was largely either super protected guys like Yokozuna or guys at about Martel's level.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It is bizarre that they never put the IC title on him at that time, though. I realise that was around the point where Hart, Hall and Michaels were the guys with that belt, but still.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Ganso Bomb posted:

Weren't The Gymini also TNA's The Johnsons? But not Smackdown's similarly named The Dicks?
Mike and Todd Shane wrestled as Phi De Kappa U(???) (as the Wentworth Twins) in the indies, then the Shane Twins, then yes, Richard and Rod Johnson, the Johnsons in TNA for exactly two matches. Then they got rebranded as the Gymini in WWE.

The Dicks were Chad Wicks and John Toland, who were inexplicably cast as brothers (Chad and Tank Toland) in OVW, and got promoted as Chad and James Dick, The Dicks for their brief run on the main roster.

Chad Wicks actually competed in the Young Lions Cup in 2004, alongside TJP, Yoshitatsu, Taguchi, Goto, and some people I've barely heard of. He more or less retired after being cut from WWE.
Tank Toland went to ROH after being released and was the heavy for Sweet 'n' Sour Inc. for part of 2008. He more or less retired after that, but one of his last indie matches was putting over a kid named Jon Moxley. One of his last OVW matches was beating someone named "Lumpy Magoo".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfEpy2mOA_U

Here's a clip of Lumpy Magoo in action featuring a young Brad Maddox, a guy named Richard Cranium, and also Al Snow??

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 20, 2020

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Edge & Christian posted:

The Mexicools - June 2005 to June 2006
Road Warrior Animal - July 2005 to May 2006
The Dicks - October 2005 to February 2006
Tatanka - December 2005 to January 2007
The Gymini - January 2006 to January 2007
Cross Dressing Vito - May 2006 to May 2007

Abusive Mechanic Chuck Palumbo managed to miss most of this, as he was released shortly after debuting the gimmick in 2004, but got re-signed and made his re-debut in May 2007 which he where he was dating Michelle McCool.

Also to really hammer home June 2005 as the start of some sort of Bad Era of Smackdown, that was the month that Muhammad Hassan got drafted from Raw over to Smackdown, where they almost immediately put him in a feud with Undertaker and gave him terrorist henchmen.

You can make it even worse: You left out 2008-2010's Kung Fu Naki.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Edge & Christian posted:

how DARE you

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

CarlCX posted:

You can make it even worse: You left out 2008-2010's Kung Fu Naki.
I left out a lot of poo poo, I was mainly focusing on the period parallel to Tatanka's return, which was basically just 2006. Funaki was as serious a wrestler who was in the 2006 Cruiserweight division could possibly be in 2006, though he mostly spent the year on TV in a jobber tag team with Scotty 2 Hotty, who I had no idea lasted that long in the company.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 20, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Edge & Christian posted:

Chad Wicks actually competed in the Young Lions Cup in 2004, alongside TJP, Yoshitatsu, Taguchi, Goto, and some people I've barely heard of. He more or less retired after being cut from WWE.
Tank Toland went to ROH after being released and was the heavy for Sweet 'n' Sour Inc. for part of 2008. He more or less retired after that, but one of his last indie matches was putting over a kid named Jon Moxley. One of his last OVW matches was beating someone named "Lumpy Magoo".

Tank Toland doing a fitness bit while Bobby Dempsey was made to do constant squats was good heeling. I enjoyed the ROH Sweet & Sour Inc/International

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

weirdly the hiring of the gymini caused matt bentley to receive a cease and desist from using the Michael Shane stage name

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo

DeathChicken posted:

If I recall correctly they burned his undefeated streak on Ludvig Borga too... which in retrospect didn't pay off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

JOHN CENA posted:

weirdly the hiring of the gymini caused matt bentley to receive a cease and desist from using the Michael Shane stage name

I'm weirdly resentful of that to this day. I have no idea why. I never even much liked him. I just really don't like calling him Matt Bentley or some reason. Even though... you know... its his name.

I don't get it.