Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Angry Salami posted:

We know Boba Fett's totally incompetent as an actual bounty hunter, but his actual skills are all in sales. He got Vader to pay him for a bounty when he really didn't do anything, then collected from Jabba on the same bounty.
Like all important Star Wars characters, Boba Fett's greatest power isn't the Force - it's nepotism. Jabba let him hang around based on his dad's reputation, and Vader was friends with a few of Boba's brothers back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Looking forward to the 2024 Special Edition where Greedo has been replaced by Boba Fett and he shouts MACKLUNKEY while shooting his rocket at Han, who shoots it out of the air and causes it to hit Boba instead, who then flies through the roof of the Cantina as his jetpack malfunctions

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vinylshadow posted:

Looking forward to the 2024 Special Edition where Greedo has been replaced by Boba Fett and he shouts MACKLUNKEY while shooting his rocket at Han, who shoots it out of the air and causes it to hit Boba instead, who then flies through the roof of the Cantina as his jetpack malfunctions

Why? Lucas isn’t in charge anymore.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Vinylshadow posted:

Unironic yes

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

Why? Lucas isn’t in charge anymore.

Sadly

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Everyone would’ve hated whatever Star war he made. Star Wars exists to be hated.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zkw7758Whs

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
I saw Doctor Sleep the other day and in the beginning when Danny Torrence is drinking too much and has a beard (real subtle, btw), I couldn’t help but thinking, “Man. I hope that Obi Wan TV show comes together.”

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Didn't kid Boba always get chumped in Clone Wars too? Like, he thought he was badass and better than the other clones and ended up having a generally worse track record than them?

I remember him failing to kill Mace multiple times and then getting betrayed on a heist he planned.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, I liked Clone Wars and Rebels well enough but was Star Wars Resistance (the short lived cartoon set in the Sequel era) any good?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, I liked Clone Wars and Rebels well enough but was Star Wars Resistance (the short lived cartoon set in the Sequel era) any good?

Not at all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

thrawn527 posted:

Not at all.

Good to know

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

thrawn527 posted:

Not at all.

There are like 3 ok episodes and they all contain sequel trilogy characters to make them so. Thats how bad it is

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like, again, say what you want about Attack of the Clones, but it provided an absolutely perfect springboard for spinoffs and probably the golden age of the EU (relatively speaking) and Revenge of the Sith wrapped it up in a pretty neat and suitably grim way

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Angry Salami posted:

We know Boba Fett's totally incompetent as an actual bounty hunter, but his actual skills are all in sales. He got Vader to pay him for a bounty when he really didn't do anything, then collected from Jabba on the same bounty.

Obviously, after that, he made it big selling other bounty hunters on Fett Brand Ezy-Freeze Carbonite Chambers - As Used by Jabba the Hutt!

It's not actually as efficient or convenient as he implied, but now every Mandalorian's crammed one in the back of their ship, so they might as well use it.
This is now Canon. All praise to Canon.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like, again, say what you want about Attack of the Clones, but it provided an absolutely perfect springboard for spinoffs and probably the golden age of the EU (relatively speaking) and Revenge of the Sith wrapped it up in a pretty neat and suitably grim way

Yeah, it provided a consistently good EU that actually made the movies better, which is super rare.

One of the big issues I had when younger was that I wanted to actually see the Clone Wars and the beginning of the Rebellion and didnt, but the EU handled that, so now I don't care about that or think of missed opportunities and can just look at the value of the movies themselves, which started my kind of turnaround on the prequels.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Darko posted:

Yeah, it provided a consistently good EU that actually made the movies better, which is super rare.

One of the big issues I had when younger was that I wanted to actually see the Clone Wars and the beginning of the Rebellion and didnt, but the EU handled that, so now I don't care about that or think of missed opportunities and can just look at the value of the movies themselves, which started my kind of turnaround on the prequels.

That's a good point that I hadn't thought of, and probably a big reason I re-evaluated the prequels as well. I was hung up on not getting what I wanted (which isn't fair, but is true). When I heard we were getting prequels, I was like, "Awesome, we'll get to see the Clone Wars! Maybe how the Rebellion started! This is gonna be so freaking sweet!" Then the prequels came, and the Clone Wars happened almost entirely between episodes II and III, and I was all, "Wait, what the gently caress? Why are we here?" Then the start of the Rebellion didn't even come up, outside of one tiny deleted scene. I felt seriously cheated (again, not fair, I know, but didn't change my opinion). Like, I thought that was the whole drat point of this new trilogy, and what we had been talking about wanting for, like, the whole 90's when Lucas would make an offhand reference to eventually making the prequels. "The Clone Wars, what are those gonna be like?" Turns out I was dumb for asking that question, ya dummy. Ya big dumb dumb.

Then we got a TV show that did a deep dive into The Clone Wars, and it ruled. Then we got Rebels that, while it wasn't a full deep dive into the formation of the Rebellion, went into it, while focusing on one group of Rebels, and made me really care about them, seeing that era of the galaxy through their eyes. I finally got what I was looking for. Which made me say, "Okay, fine, so what did we actually get with the prequels?" And I still don't love them. But I do like them quite a bit more than I did then.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I bought the first season of Resistance on Amazon because it was a price mistake for $3 (this was before Disney+ existed). I got so insanely bored halfway into the first episode and didn't even bother watching more.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

I bought the first season of Resistance on Amazon because it was a price mistake for $3 (this was before Disney+ existed). I got so insanely bored halfway into the first episode and didn't even bother watching more.

It's one of those "it gets better as it goes on" series, which hurts, because the first five-ish episodes are there to introduce everything, and then a bit of a slump from 8-12, it gets better from 13 through 21 once the First Order shows up

Biggest hurdle for a lot of people is Kaz himself, because he barely ever gets to be in his element as a pilot, which is where he shines, and he's instead Jar Jar'ing his way through being a mechanic/spy

I'd say binge it, but if you bounced off that hard, it's probably not worth it

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, it's almost cheating when you boil the formula down to 'start a big war in one movie, tell the stories of the war in the spinoffs, and end the big war in the next movie' being pretty hard to gently caress up... but the sequels managed.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
Honestly, Disney's campaign to throw out the EU while implying that the new EU would be good, deep and interconnected with the new trilogy and certainly wouldn't contain anything dumb like Clone Palpatine is probably one of the most canny things they did.

Which is why it's even funnier that they kicked off with Chuck Wendig, that farting wedding, Vader getting revenge on a pod race, and so on. It was like they speed-ran Legends and learned nothing.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It certainly provides a novel answer to the question of 'How can a multi billion dollar media empire based around one of the most beloved and omnipresent franchises in history let said franchise become such a festering mess?'

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
The prequels aren't amazing movies and I mostly didn't liked then when I first watched then but they tell a good and consistent story of how the universe we saw on the original trilogy came to be. I rewatched them a few time she in the last years and liked them a lot better

Same can't be said about he new trilogy, unfortunately. They have some good moments but are mostly a mess

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
It's nice to see Chuck Wendig go from someone I respect (for his work on horror roleplaying games) to another annoying Twitter liberal D-list celebrity pundit. I'm sure the money's good.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It certainly provides a novel answer to the question of 'How can a multi billion dollar media empire based around one of the most beloved and omnipresent franchises in history let said franchise become such a festering mess?'

'Arrogance and stupidity in the same package! How efficient of you."

That's what it feels like, at least. It feels like Disney just assumed that Star Wars would print money and that the fans would buy anything. The Force Awakens kind of proved them right. I was an old fan of the old EU, so, I did keep an eye on what Disney was doing with it. I even thought they might actually try to tell a more coherent, consistent EU. I mean, that's what they said, and surely they wouldn't be just throwing out marketing dross, right?

It just seems obvious. Write three good films and explain any gaps in tie-in books. Like, give Rey a yellow lightsaber in the second film or whatever. Just like how Luke has his green one without an explanation. But this time, you can use your Disney Money to hire some writers to figure out how and when she got the yellow one and maybe chuck in some sneaky easter eggs to demonstrate just how much your 'story group' has been working on things behind the scenes. Like, they definitely talked up the new Story Group as a thing that would help keep the new EU from turning into Legends 2.0.

Instead, it turned to poo poo virtually immediately - retcons everywhere (TFA novel heavily implies that Ren knows who Rey is) and things that were just absurdly stupid like the aforementioned farting wedding. Didn't Disney say there wouldn't be retcons? Like, it's all so obvious in hindsight but there was no reason why Disney - the biggest company on the planet with the biggest IP on the planet - couldn't have done what they said they were going to do. Instead, they led with, what, Alan Dean Foster's novelization of Force Awakens (and ADF's books are not good, he's absolutely a worksman-writer hack) and Chuck Wendig's absurd Aftermath which still gets mocked for it's god-awful prose. That's how bad it was! Even people who read Star Wars books were like lol this dude can't write.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Thing is that kind of blatant pandering works for a little while as fans are desperate for validation and in general you're giving people what they want at their lowest point of desperation, but it only lasts for a short time as they eventually start having those pesky standards and tastes again, and Disney reacted with blind reactionary pandering without for a moment trying to consider why people reacted the way they did. It's the shortest term capitalist thinking where having a plan more than the next fiscal year ahead is considered inherently absurd, so you inevitably end up fighting yourself over decisions you made for reasons you can't even comprehend six months later.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
TFA is more a commercial for the following films than it is a complete work into itself.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I thought The Force Awakens was a good yet overly safe movie, and it'd be up to the sequels to bring the new era to greatness.

I thought The Last Jedi was a very interesting but dissonant movie, and whether it'd end up loved or hated would depend on how the last movie picks up what it put down.

Then Rise of Skywalker happened.

I think if anything, being a trilogy somehow made these three movies worse. How does that even happen?

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
...do I want to know what the farting wedding is?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Angry Salami posted:

No, you don't

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Angry Salami posted:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
a deep, meteoric toot

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

What the gently caress is this from? It's not the Wendig trilogy, as that was (for some reason) in the present tense. Certainly not something I've read, but I haven't read all of the new EU.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
You're right, it's too well-written to be from one of the Wendig novels

It's from one of the kids books they put out
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Join_the_Resistance:_Escape_from_Vodran

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"The fart wibbles and wobbles through the air, careening drunkenly throughout the wedding reception - it wafts herkily-jerkily out of scent."

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Wow it's... literally a farting wedding

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

"The fart wibbles and wobbles through the air, careening drunkenly throughout the wedding reception - it wafts herkily-jerkily out of scent."

A new star wars novel where Finn and Poe undertake a desperate mission to destroy the New Republic holonet archives because The First Order is using it to read General Leia's memoirs without paying

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Horizon Burning posted:

Honestly, Disney's campaign to throw out the EU while implying that the new EU would be good, deep and interconnected with the new trilogy and certainly wouldn't contain anything dumb like Clone Palpatine is probably one of the most canny things they did.

Which is why it's even funnier that they kicked off with Chuck Wendig, that farting wedding, Vader getting revenge on a pod race, and so on. It was like they speed-ran Legends and learned nothing.

What, did Vader kill Sebulba?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Part of me feels that if you really can't rock the boat too much in your stories because you're working around the movies, you may as well do fart wedding and vader using the force to mess up Luke's podracer

Not totally related but the old EU was initially built on the back of the aftermath of ROTJ whereas the end of ROS just honestly seems like such a dead end. It even has the Alice in Wonderland/Labyrinth "should you need us" ending where it's not even clear whether Rey is really going to stay in that world (other than her having the gold lightsaber)

e: what could really happen though other than looping back to 7? Rey will train jedi and the republic will come back, both will collapse and someone new will arise to set it right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This guy is working to destroy the US library system.