Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I feel like a bunch of CHUDS said that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

evilmiera posted:

I forget, who is the guy that tweeted out something akin to "If coronavirus deaths in the US end up being under 200000, can we all agree Trump is the best President ever?", back when we either hadn't hit 100k yet or people were seeing a slowdown? He might have deleted the tweet since then but it would be interesting if he hadn't.

Bill Mitchell iirc

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
Is anyone else noticing a big upswing in anti-Chinese rhetoric in the RWM? Around two thirds of the people I hate-listen to have come out with "oh by the way, China is pure evil and is the REAL source of the Communist Party Wuhan China virus" pieces within the past few days.

Hmm I wonder why they're suddenly frantically returning to blaming an outside agent for our current situation

Incelshok Na
Jul 2, 2020

by Hand Knit
By RWM do you mean the Biden campaign? They've been hawkish on China for a while and the right is trying to catch up.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Jesus, man. Looking back a little I just...

8 years later after I started this thread because I was scared about its mainstream influence on the national discourse and this poo poo is Locked in HARD now for an incredible amount of people in ways that I no longer take comfort in simply making fun of. It was bad when I started this thread (and bad before I started it) but this is flat out brainwashing of maybe 3 out of every 5 people you might randomly meet. It's incredibly effective and has had a way of doubling down and piling on top of itself in an exponential way that I honestly don't believe can be fixed.

People honestly think "Antifa", with funding from Soros, is setting fire to California and Oregon. Members of Qanon are sitting members of the house now, and winning elections. "Left wing" news outlets like CNN and MSNBC and "progressive" journalists like Matt Tabibi are both siding everything as the Overton Window shifts every right and the whole country teeters on the brink of fascism.

I drove by a pick up truck yesterday with "#saveourchildren" painted on the back window and knew right the gently caress away what it was. My former boss advised me to read Jordan Peterson. People literally WORSHIP Donald Trump.Ignorance abounds and this poo poo is largely to blame IMO.

We're completely hosed as a nation and all this infomercial, televangelist style hucksterism is a HUGE part of why. We haven't learned poo poo about how this works, the methods they use and ways to ignore it all. FOX News is looking almost quaint right now given social media, the ongoing effects of talk radio and now poo poo like OANN and Q.

And all those fires I started and so far not one Soros Buck. This is some bullshit.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Is anyone else noticing a big upswing in anti-Chinese rhetoric in the RWM? Around two thirds of the people I hate-listen to have come out with "oh by the way, China is pure evil and is the REAL source of the Communist Party Wuhan China virus" pieces within the past few days.

Hmm I wonder why they're suddenly frantically returning to blaming an outside agent for our current situation

trump and the chuds keep hoping for that "rally around the flag moment against the "other"" moment but they arnt getting because this wasnt 9/11 or pearl harbor or the Zimmerman telegram or fort Sumter. it might have worked if trump had actually done his job and not been a whiny shithead but he didnt. and now its just insane poo poo.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1306355916078546944

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

If it weren't for all these trips to the doctor diagnosing me with illness, I wouldn't be sick!

If I never went to the dentist, I wouldn't have so many cavities!

If I didn't count birthdays, I wouldn't be OLD!

So simple.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 17, 2020

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

evilmiera posted:

I forget, who is the guy that tweeted out something akin to "If coronavirus deaths in the US end up being under 200000, can we all agree Trump is the best President ever?", back when we either hadn't hit 100k yet or people were seeing a slowdown? He might have deleted the tweet since then but it would be interesting if he hadn't.

He started that at like 15k or something, but then like 2 days later it was clear we were going to blow past that and so he moved the goalposts multiple times. I think that was either Matt Walsh or Bill Mitchell.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

Is anyone else noticing a big upswing in anti-Chinese rhetoric in the RWM? ...

Definitely.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

trump and the chuds keep hoping for that "rally around the flag moment against the "other"" moment but they arnt getting because this wasnt 9/11 or pearl harbor or the Zimmerman telegram or fort Sumter. it might have worked if trump had actually done his job and not been a whiny shithead but he didnt. and now its just insane poo poo.

It's mostly this and China also provides a convenient scapegoat for the administration's completely inept response to COVID-19. If the Chinese hadn't genetically engineered the virus and unleased it upon the world, starting with their own population of course, we wouldn't have been thrown into such chaos! Nevermind the fact that other countries are handling both medical and economic sides of this much better than the US is.

They can never admit that they're wrong. This isn't just for the elites, but also for their followers.

BiggerBoat posted:

Jesus, man. Looking back a little I just...

8 years later after I started this thread because I was scared about its mainstream influence on the national discourse and this poo poo is Locked in HARD now for an incredible amount of people in ways that I no longer take comfort in simply making fun of.

Members of Qanon are sitting members of the house now, and winning elections. "Left wing" news outlets like CNN and MSNBC and "progressive" journalists like Matt Tabibi are both siding everything as the Overton Window shifts every right and the whole country teeters on the brink of fascism.

I drove by a pick up truck yesterday with "#saveourchildren" painted on the back window and knew right the gently caress away what it was. ...
Yep, I'm pretty much here too. Sorry for the E/N but the irony of all of this, as a follower and contributor to this thread, is my otherwise completely apolitical mother was ensnared by QAnon because of her belief in UFOs. Back in the day my grandpa claimed that he "saw something" when he was working on for Bendix (now Honeywell) out in the desert and told my mom. Since then there is no amount of evidence related to physics you can present her to convince her that aliens haven't visited Earth. She likes to knit and would watch lectures on UFOs on youtube as background noise and that led her down the path of getting more right-wing bullshit from The Algorithm. Ever since then she'll drop little comments that I would normally let go unchallenged, but it's becoming harder to ignore knowing that she's being manipulated and I'm starting to call out the blatant right-wing propaganda the second I hear it. The latest was that she wasn't going to come out for Christmas (which is understandable because of the pandemic) because she was afraid of Antifa hijacking her flight. This was propagated by Trump in that Ingraham interview, and I know she didn't pick it up from there because she doesn't have cable and actively dislikes Fox News.

To bring it back to China my mom absolutely *loves China*, or more appropriately Chinese culture. She watches a bunch of Chinese dramas and has been learning Mandarin. On the other hand, she wants the US to invade China to prevent them from spreading authoritarianism here and to liberate Hong Kong. :what: You literally can't get her to see how terrible an idea this is. Like... think of how many people will die. Think of what a good job US interventionism has done for the world since we invaded countries in the Middle East and wage undeclared war on other countries with our drone campaigns :rolleyes:.

Through all this there is virtually zero adulation of Trump. She never mentions him, so I have no pulse on what she actually thinks of him or if she's going to vote for him come November. So I guess that's the one positive thing I can take away from all these insane contradictions?

The insidious part about this is that the cult mentality will likely make her dig into these beliefs more the more I point these things out. I think it was one of the latest QAnon Anonymous podcasts pointed out that because folks find solace in QAnon as a community they'll reinforce how us normies are part of the Deep State conspiracy amongst themselves, further alienating them from reality and the people that actually care about them. And since it's a grab bag of "Pick your conspiracy!" it's enveloping more and more gullible people under its umbrella.

All of our post-WWII institutions are completely incapable of handling this despite the fact that we know who Fascists are and can easily spot their propaganda.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I had a small reminder the other day that rwm has severely, maybe irreversibly damaged my dad. I already can't talk to him when I visit about nearly anything because he manages to find some kind of nationalist point about it. The last time I mentioned I was trying to learn Japanese, and thought it was neat that hiragana/katakana was 1-1 explicit with pronunciations, unlike the English alphabet. He said that makes sense, Japan is racially pure, so their language is naturally efficient and pure. :wtc:. The gently caress, and also, no, kanji.

Anyway, I haven't really spoken to my parents much during the plague, but I do keep in contact with my high school aged brother who still lives at home. He's getting books for his dual enrollment college courses, and had to buy a World History book for a class code or what have you. When he told dad how expensive the book was, he got frustrated and said "you don't need to learn that poo poo; the only history that matters is American history".

I don't know what happened to the man who raised me but I don't think I'm ever going to meet them again through the rage haze of right wing programming. Also my nephews killed the family pet sun conure Claudia by closing a door on her. She was sweet and adorable and didn't deserve such a stupid death.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I can't really talk to my sister anymore. I haven't spoken to her since like April and we've all been locked down and separated. I've ignored a few random texts because I just couldn't engage. Its just always all the terrible right wing stuff and even when its not I just have a hard time ignoring it. My other sister I see/speak to every week or two and its quickly becoming the same thing. Every time we talk she's telling me about the fake news and the lies against trump and how people just need to submit to the police and etc etc. The last time she came around I just purposely avoided her because I didn't want to do it. And yeah, its all RWM because she's got all these talking points and then I have to look up evidence of the real story because she tells me its just lies from the liberal media and then I find a video quote and I'm just being too much and the subject has to change. Its exhausting.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

I hung up on my dad because he started blaming Antifa for the violence and said that black-on-black crime is worse.

The man who introduced me to Sagan, who always told me to think through the headline and take in the evidence. Just...loving taken in by the RWM machine.

gently caress every bit of it.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

J.A.B.C. posted:

I hung up on my dad because he started blaming Antifa for the violence and said that black-on-black crime is worse.

The man who introduced me to Sagan, who always told me to think through the headline and take in the evidence. Just...loving taken in by the RWM machine.

gently caress every bit of it.
Unfortunately, the person you knew is just not in there anymore.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ErIog posted:

He started that at like 15k or something, but then like 2 days later it was clear we were going to blow past that and so he moved the goalposts multiple times. I think that was either Matt Walsh or Bill Mitchell.

It was Mitchell (pbuh).

Richard Epstein is the law professor who wrote a blog post about how it'd be 500 deaths then he upped that to 2500 then 5000 then 50,000 without making any notes about editing his number (each number was laughable when he made the predictions). His post obviously was circulated in the White House because he originated the whole "don't let the cure be worse than the disease" when talking about lockdowns which Trump and his people kept repeating.

Epstein famously melted down in an interview with Isaac Chotiner:

https://twitter.com/tomscocca/status/1244432074951532544?s=20

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and-a/the-contrarian-coronavirus-theory-that-informed-the-trump-administration

Epstein stopped tweeting after the interview lol

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Sep 17, 2020

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I think we're in a poo poo situation because people don't know things any more. Basic historical literacy about things like the Holocaust is slipping. I was talking about the BLM protests with someone online the other day and they didn't know who Rodney King was (they said, "well you can't expect things to change overnight" and I said "it's been 50 years since Fred Hampton and 30 since Rodney King, maybe they're pissed because it hasn't changed in literal decades", and they had no idea what I was talking about).

If your historical knowledge is limited to what happened 30 minutes ago, of course you're going to be easy prey for this bullshit. If your knowledge of the Civil Rights Movement is limited to "MLK Jr. said 'I have a dream' and then waved a wand, and racism disappeared!" then of course you're going to fall for disingenuous right wingers saying "hey, why is there so much crime in Black neighbourhoods???"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

PT6A posted:

I think we're in a poo poo situation because people don't know things any more.

You don't say? Let me look into that and get back to you.

Also, a lot of the people generating subterfuge surrounding the news that are in on the RWM grift know full well what they're doing but, hey, there's no money in reporting actual news anymore.

The main ones that truly frighten me now are the True Believers who are getting elected to office, which started sometime around the Tea Party movement. Well...not "started" but maybe "reached critical mass". I think that Rush and a lot of the other usual suspects are at least partly aware that they're scamming folks on a certain level, and a lot of them MAYBE justify it by thinking they're simply balancing whatever it is they think that CNN and the NYT do, but now we're into the realm of The True Believers - and they're in our government. Especially in the deep south red areas. The followers are becoming the leaders and that's terrifying to me.

People like Coulter know who butters their bread but I'm not so sure about Kirk, Shapiro and some of the next generation types.

Thing is...and it's weird...this stuff really permeates the average american's listening habits in ways I think too many hand wave as a joke.

From truckers and commuters thinking they're being "informed" while listening to the radio, to the "Fair and Balanced: coverage of FOX, the wage earner listening to their radio at work and right on through the "what the government and the MEDIA WON'T TELL YOU" bullshit that permeates social media. poo poo's REAL bad. I'm looking for work and most employers and business owners buy into at least half of this poo poo and usually more so since it keeps their workers in line, squashes any talk of unions and keeps them from asking for pay increases. Most of the people I work with act as if they're lucky to have a job in addition to thinking the reason they never make any money is because the poor took it all and taxes are too high.

I don't think it's fixable moving forward and certainly don't see a way to undo nearly 3 decades of this mindless, dishonest bullshit.

If anything, it seems to be getting worse and its effect is spreading fast. Why anyone would think that ANY news station that relies on advertising would ever put truth telling above that revenue is something I'll never loving understand. I saw it start for myself around 1995 when the sports magazine I laid out and designed started pitching "stories" specifically written to attract ads (A Tailgating Article we could use to pitch grocery stores. A sports injury story we could run to sell ads to rehab clinics and hospitals. Clothing and collectible stories we could write that might bring in revenue from apparel stores and baseball card shops. Some interview with a christian athlete that could generate an ad buy from a church).

It's all one big commercial, isn't it?

And ,again, speaking of churches, the methods are an awful lot like what the Big Evangelical Ones have done in very rural communities (and several big cities for that matter) , especially in the south, by taking over the only radio and TV stations anyone living there can even pick up, along with a TON of real estate aided by a tax exempt status as they cram their members into local city councils.

Guess I've outed myself as an Antifa member but, sadly, still no Soros Bux in my mailbox. I need to call George.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

I think we're in a poo poo situation because people don't know things any more. Basic historical literacy about things like the Holocaust is slipping. I was talking about the BLM protests with someone online the other day and they didn't know who Rodney King was (they said, "well you can't expect things to change overnight" and I said "it's been 50 years since Fred Hampton and 30 since Rodney King, maybe they're pissed because it hasn't changed in literal decades", and they had no idea what I was talking about).

If your historical knowledge is limited to what happened 30 minutes ago, of course you're going to be easy prey for this bullshit. If your knowledge of the Civil Rights Movement is limited to "MLK Jr. said 'I have a dream' and then waved a wand, and racism disappeared!" then of course you're going to fall for disingenuous right wingers saying "hey, why is there so much crime in Black neighbourhoods???"

We're definitely in an age where people have forgotten that like, change CAN happen, in a relatively short time span if people set their minds to it. The whole "better things aren't possible" idea is suuuuuper ingrained into society. A coworker of mine has always been a Biden supporter over Bernie, even while he 100% agreed with everything Bernie wanted over Biden. However he thought Bernie wanted to do too much, and that because of that he'd be too unfocused and not actually get anything done. He (and some others I've talked to) are convinced that a president can get exactly 1 (one) thing done over the course of their presidency, and trying to get anything more done will hurt that. We can't expect to get universal health care and debt forgiveness and eliminate private prisons AND affordable housing etc etc. Just get universal health care done! Well, okay, that might be a bit much, let's just get BETTER healthcare over the next 8 years, then wait 4-8 years for the republican candidate, then we can try for universal healthcare (and nothing else) after that.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

BiggerBoat posted:

People like Coulter know who butters their bread but I'm not so sure about Kirk, Shapiro and some of the next generation types.

Kirk, Shapiro, probably Tomi Lahren, and a few of the other new-jack grifters are all part of that time-honored American tradition where their most closely held belief is "I should get paid more." It's just that the right-wing noise machine got there first. It's just a trick of fate that the lot of them aren't D-list hustlers in Los Angeles, the kinds of people who have business cards that list them as "actor/writer/producer/dreamer/thinker/entrepreneur."

I've always thought the single most incisive commentary on that whole media tier was the episode of "The Boondocks" that depicted an off-stage, in-private Ann Coulter as a fast-talking, casually profane motormouth who believes exactly none of what she says for a living.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
https://youtu.be/Qyx5j6i98kw

Triumph runs a fake focus group panel.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Welcome to the resistance Tucker

https://twitter.com/berniebromanny/status/1306788092347650050

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

i can hear the "BUT!" coming from a mile away

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

James O'Keefe comes from an esteemed lineage:

https://twitter.com/schwarz/status/1307035385076342787?s=20

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Get ready for the shitstorm. RBG just died.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

MrUnderbridge posted:

Don't gently caress with us like this

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

PIZZA.BAT posted:

She really did (LOL)

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Yeah, it's game over. The word ALREADY on the street is Trumps going to try and do it quick too build up momentum before the election. Even if he loses, he's going to pass it in the lame duck session to get a "3" by his name in the history books.

Man, this is bad.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

MrUnderbridge posted:

Candace Owens already checking in with the requisite amount of condolences.
https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/status/1307103275083337729?s=20

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I think someone needs to check on BiggerBoat.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Left Ventricle posted:

Candace Owens already checking in with the requisite amount of condolences.
https://twitter.com/RealCandaceO/status/1307103275083337729?s=20

She is such a vile piece of poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Groovelord Neato posted:

She is such a vile piece of poo poo.

How sure are we her body has not been a victim of the Get Out treatment?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

loving Mitch just said they'd be putting someone up immediately. She isn't even cold yet.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MrUnderbridge posted:

loving Mitch just said they'd be putting someone up immediately. She isn't even cold yet.

Of course he is because Mitch is loving scum.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

MrUnderbridge posted:

"CLEAR! *BZZT*"

Good news, shes technically still alive!

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
And yet Rush Limbaugh still lives even though the ghoul has lung cancer.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

GutBomb posted:

I think someone needs to check on BiggerBoat.

Woke up to this news first thing this morning. Yay, life!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

kik2dagroin posted:

And yet Rush Limbaugh still lives even though the ghoul has lung cancer.

These mutants have so much money that they can prolong their life for as long as possible. Rush is going to live well into his eighties or nineties amd just keep on keepin on.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Star Man posted:

These mutants have so much money that they can prolong their life for as long as possible. Rush is going to live well into his eighties or nineties amd just keep on keepin on.

Griftin' to literally stay-alive.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

Well chums, before things get any worse I just wanted to say it has been an honor watching the fall with you. Between this and the old Prester Jane threads I feel like we've been witnessing the final stages of the radicalization that the establishment has had its head in the sand about for literally three decades. Is RBG the straw that broke the camel's back? Hard to say, but when so much straw was on the camel already it was always going to be something that cemented the fascist takeover. Good luck to you all for whatever comes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Paolomania posted:

Well chums, before things get any worse I just wanted to say it has been an honor watching the fall with you.

All I can do to feel better right now is read this in Leslie Neilsen's voice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BiggerBoat posted:

All I can do to feel better right now is read this in Leslie Neilsen's voice.