Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Guyver posted:

Brutal Kunnin

Started reading it a couple hours ago. It's a lot of fun and Brooks' ork dialogue is much better.

Ere we go. Ere we go. Ere we go.

Edit: The first thing I asked in this thread was if there was an Ork novel. There wasn't at the time and this is shaping up to be exactly what I wanted.

I assume you read Deff Skwadron already

Though it is a comic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Techpriests are allowed to have sex but because they're all awkward nerds no one is willing to do it

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

They probably have a permanent cyberfuckfest running in a process somewhere in the background. Gotta appease the machine spirits.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Forget where it's at but a techpriest does say "Sex? Disgusting, who has time to fling genetic material at each other when there are toasters and logic? Pathetic."

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Improbable Lobster posted:

Techpriests are allowed to have sex but because they're all awkward nerds no one is willing to do it

I remember one of the Cain books has him hooking up with a still mostly human acolyte while stationed on planet. Another book set a couple decades later has them reunite, and she barely has any fleshy bits left.

Only time I can remember anyone dealing with someone from AdMech having sex or even a casual romantic relationship.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Isn't the Adeptus Biologis a subsect of the AdMech? They probably grow vat babies in those gestation/cloning chambers they sold to the Kriegers.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Improbable Lobster posted:

The part in mark of calth with the two mechanicum servers I think they were called, who were obviously in mechlove. I loved it :3:

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Arcsquad12 posted:

Isn't the Adeptus Biologis a subsect of the AdMech? They probably grow vat babies in those gestation/cloning chambers they sold to the Kriegers.

Vat babies is a thing among the AdMech, Cawl himself was one of them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Pyrolocutus posted:

Vat babies is a thing among the AdMech, Cawl himself was one of them.
Isn't the AdMech that Cain sleeps with a vat baby clone of her "dad" and it's implied that she's doing it at least in part to mess with him?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MariusLecter posted:

Forget where it's at but a techpriest does say "Sex? Disgusting, who has time to fling genetic material at each other when there are toasters and logic? Pathetic."

Priests Of Mars has a techpriest tell a dude that she has moved beyond the need to plow when she sees he's trying to hit on her.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Inspector_666 posted:

Priests Of Mars has a techpriest tell a dude that she has moved beyond the need to plow when she sees he's trying to hit on her.

quote:

‘You are a very beautiful woman, Linya Tychon, did you know that?’ he said before he even knew what he was doing. The smile fell from her face, and Roboute knew he’d crossed a line. ‘I’m sorry,’ he said. ‘That was foolish of me. Too much dammassine...’‘It is very kind of you to say so, Captain Surcouf, but it would be unwise for you to harbour any thoughts of a romantic attachment to me. You like me, I can already see that, but I cannot reciprocate anything of that nature.

How do you know unless you try?’ said Roboute, already knowing it was hopeless, but never one to give up until the last. ‘It will be hard for you to understand. ’‘I can try. ’She sighed. ‘The neural pathways of my brain have been reshaped by surgical augmetics, chemical conditioning and cognitive remapping to such an extent that the processes taking place within my mindscape do not equate to anything you might recognize as affection or love.

’‘You love your father, don’t you? ’She hesitated before answering. ‘Only in the sense that I am grateful to him for giving me life, yes, but it is not love as you would recognize it. My mind is incapable of reducing the complex asymmetry of my synapse interaction to something so...

’‘Human? ’‘Irrational,’ said Linya. ‘Roboute, you are a man of varied history, much of which clearly holds great appeal to other humans. You have personality matrices that I am sure make you an interesting person, but not to me. I can see through you and study every facet of your life from the cellular level to the hominid-architecture of your brain. Your life is laid bare to me from birth to this moment, and I can process every angle of that existence in a microsecond. You divert me, but no unaugmented human has enough complexity to ever hold my attention for long. ’Roboute listened to her speak with a growing sense that he was wading in treacherous waters. He’d made the mistake of assuming that just because Linya Tychon looked like a woman that she was a woman in any sense that he understood. She was as far removed from his sphere of existence as he was from a domesticated house-pet.

It was a sobering realization, and he said, ‘That must be a lonely existence. ’‘Entirely the opposite,’ said Linya. ‘I say these things not to hurt you, Roboute, only to spare you any emotional turmoil you might experience in trying and failing to win my affection. ’

Roboute held up his hands and said, ‘Fair enough, I understand, affection isn’t on the cards, but friendship? Is that a concept you can... process? Can we be friends? ’

She smiled. ‘I’d like that. Now, if you will excuse me, I have some data inloads that need parsing into their logical syntactic components. ’‘Then I’ll say goodnight,’ said Roboute, holding out his hand. Linya shook it, her grip firm and smooth.‘Goodnight, Roboute,’ she said, turning and making her way towards the mag-lev rostrum.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
My jealously of the Mechanicus continues apace :sigh:

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Zore posted:

I remember one of the Cain books has him hooking up with a still mostly human acolyte while stationed on planet. Another book set a couple decades later has them reunite, and she barely has any fleshy bits left.

Only time I can remember anyone dealing with someone from AdMech having sex or even a casual romantic relationship.

Oh yes, that one had Amberley questioning about how he learned she had a mechanical tail.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

There is one book I can't remember for the life of me with a female techpriest who carried her child to term the normal way. I believe she said something about not being able to improve upon the Omnissiah's design. She also mentions that plenty of mechanicum still do it that way but vat is the majority.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I dipped my toe into the AOS world yesterday by reading the Gates of Azyr novella, and starting the War Storm book. So far it's pretty good! Like, sure, some of it is cheesy, but I was actually impressed with how well written the action in Gates of Azyr was. And even though Vandus and Khul are kind of generic hero and villain right now, I'm intrigued. So far, recommended.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Arbite posted:

Oh yes, that one had Amberley questioning about how he learned she had a mechanical tail.

Questioning how Cain knew *exactly* where her mechanical appendage was attached to, to be precise (base of the spine).

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Found this list of the first 120 Warhammer books that came out. Lot of old stuff on here I never heard of. Probably a lot of crap but I want to check them out.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

At a glance most of those books are from the aughts. Didn't WH have novels in the '90s?

edit: Looks like it: this page only lists four books by Ian Watson before 1999.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 21, 2020

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

NihilCredo posted:

Looks like most of those books are from the aughts. Didn't WH have novels in the '90s?

Fantasy novels started in 1989. The earliest books are on that list as #27, 29 and 37 among others. Trollslayer was '99.

40k novels started in 1990 with Ian Watson's Inquisition War and Space Marine. Outside of his books it jumps to 1999 where Gaunt's Ghosts kicks off alongside the Ragnar Space Wolf novels. Inferno! had short stories starting in '97.

The list starts at 1999, I'm guessing the older books on the list are new printings.

All this was from googling and Wikipedia, I didn't jump on board until 2004 with the Dawn of War computer game.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

bagrada posted:

Fantasy novels started in 1989.

forgot this wasn't the F/SF thread and thought "wait what kind of dogshit take is this" for a moment

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The 89-90 short story collections are pretty good.

Ignorant Armies, Red Thirst, Wolf Riders. Depending on your location, usually pretty cheap second hand.

An interesting mixture of good stories, first appearances (Gotrex and Felix) and quite a lot of 'early installment wierdness'.

Plus a lot of them are later well known writers. As well as the obvious Kim Newman/Jack Yeovil, there's also Stephen Baxter and Brian Stableford both writing under a pseudonym.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Black Griffon posted:

forgot this wasn't the F/SF thread and thought "wait what kind of dogshit take is this" for a moment

sci fi was invented in 1999 by doctor frankenstein

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Deptfordx posted:

The 89-90 short story collections are pretty good.

Ignorant Armies, Red Thirst, Wolf Riders. Depending on your location, usually pretty cheap second hand.

An interesting mixture of good stories, first appearances (Gotrex and Felix) and quite a lot of 'early installment wierdness'.

Plus a lot of them are later well known writers. As well as the obvious Kim Newman/Jack Yeovil, there's also Stephen Baxter and Brian Stableford both writing under a pseudonym.

wait wait wait Brian Stableford? What was his pen-name for 40k stuff? I love his regular sci-fi, it's always weird/thoughtful!

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

His warham books are under Brian Craig. I've managed to not read anything by him over the years, anything in particular I should look for?

His Orfeo Warhammer trilogy seems mostly out of print, and I only see his 2016 Pawns of Chaos novel in ebook. I remember seeing an old Wine of Dreams paperback at the local game shop years ago but its long gone now.

While digging to see what Stephen Baxter wrote I found this Pariedolia article which seems interesting (no time to read at work) and has some incredible art.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

wait wait wait Brian Stableford? What was his pen-name for 40k stuff? I love his regular sci-fi, it's always weird/thoughtful!

He's Brian Craig. Wiki has the books he wrote in addition to the stories.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Stableford#Warhammer

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

bagrada posted:

His warham books are under Brian Craig. I've managed to not read anything by him over the years, anything in particular I should look for?

His Orfeo Warhammer trilogy seems mostly out of print, and I only see his 2016 Pawns of Chaos novel in ebook. I remember seeing an old Wine of Dreams paperback at the local game shop years ago but its long gone now.

While digging to see what Stephen Baxter wrote I found this Pariedolia article which seems interesting (no time to read at work) and has some incredible art.

Brian Stableford's best works are his Hooded Swan series and the complete batshit insanity that is his Werewolves of London trilogy. The first is a great sci-fi space opera type thing where one man with a ship gets into adventures and out of them, with really inventive alien planets. The second is gothic horror / sci-fi with a lot of weird violence and I'd like to describe it but it's just straight up batshit. Great stuff, but note that his writing tends to be on the drier side.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Oh another fun, but obscure one.

A Spell of Empire by Micheal Scott Rohan and Allan Scott.

Which was written explicitly as a Warhammer novel.

But after they'd already written it, the contract fell through.

So they did the minimum possible search and replace* of copyrightable Old World names and locations with a Mitteleuropa expy and published it anyway.

*The forces of Chaos, become the forces of Tartarus for example.

Edit: Now super-cheap on kindle. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spell-Empire-Michael-Scott-Rohan-ebook/dp/B00I5KG3WG

Deptfordx fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Sep 21, 2020

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
That list looks like a publishing list of Black Library and not warhams books in general.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

D-Pad posted:

Found this list of the first 120 Warhammer books that came out. Lot of old stuff on here I never heard of. Probably a lot of crap but I want to check them out.

drat I've read 56/11X (a bunch are listed on there twice thanks to trade paperback collections). At one point in the late 2000s I was going to try to get to them all but too many were out of print and hard to find even on ebay. And then Horus Heresy hit and just kept coming and coming and coming. BL also stopped listing that in their books around then, not wanting to scare people away. This chart is one of the highest numbered I've seen.

Foxtrot_13 posted:

That list looks like a publishing list of Black Library and not warhams books in general.

Black Library IS only warhams books, isn't it? Or did they have some Dr Who or Judge Dredd in the early days? I know there was a lot of writer crossover. Some of warham books are old enough they don't feature the official banner and look like generic 90s fantasy but they are still in the setting.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Sorry for not being more specific. Those are the first Black Library published books. GW did sell books before those as others have pointed out but they had not created Black Library yet and worked with other publishers to get it done. Either way it is pretty interesting and there are some on there I've never heard of I will be trying to track down.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bagrada posted:

His Orfeo Warhammer trilogy seems mostly out of print, and I only see his 2016 Pawns of Chaos novel in ebook. I remember seeing an old :siren:Wine of Dreams:siren: paperback at the local game shop years ago but its long gone now.

That. Get that. Hunt it down. It is genuinely one of the best Warhammer books ever written and just a standalone great fantasy novel. I used to lend it to people to introduce them to the setting. I hope it'll get a re-issue under the Horror imprint at some point.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

bagrada posted:

Pawns of Chaos is loving awesome. It's about a world that's been cut off from the Imperium, but the settlers still have much better technology, even in isolation, than the natives of the planet, so they have to summon demons. It's very half fantasy-half 40k. Also features a shaman whose mutations include a spiked dick.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

https://pariedolia.weebly.com/nimh/oldhammer-lit-101

Interesting article on the original generation of GW books here, written by Steven Baxter, who was one of the pro writers GW hired. Guest appearance from Terry Pratchett saying he'd be interested in the gig.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Anybody else doing open submissions this year? It's horror themed, and they are asking for a paragraph summary and 500 word excerpt. I haven't written the story yet, but I've had this idea floating around in my head for a while so I went ahead and wrote the paragraph. Got about a month to write 500 words and polish the poo poo out of them. Here is the summary:

quote:

Siya is a blank. She doesn’t know this, but when the Cicatrix Maledictum opens right through the system containing her agriworld, it’s what saves her life. Each night, the townspeople of her small community go outside and bask in the bilious light of the rift, smiling as their mortal forms are renewed. Each day, they continue their lives as if they are not dead and slowly rotting as the day progresses. Siya struggles to survive as the world around her succumbs to the embrace of Grandfather Nurgle. With no escape, how long can she endure?

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

D-Pad posted:

Anybody else doing open submissions this year?

I'm considering getting in on it, I just need to find a couple of quiet afternoons to get some writing done.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I'd enter if I had any good ideas and I wasn't so lazy

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

D-Pad posted:

Anybody else doing open submissions this year? It's horror themed, and they are asking for a paragraph summary and 500 word excerpt. I haven't written the story yet, but I've had this idea floating around in my head for a while so I went ahead and wrote the paragraph. Got about a month to write 500 words and polish the poo poo out of them. Here is the summary:

Idea seems solid, delete more words:

quote:

Siya is a blank. When the Cicatrix Maledictum rips the sky above her agriworld, it saves her life. Every night, her small community shambles out to bask in the bilious light of the rift, rotten balefire illuminating ghastly smiles. Every day, smiles slough from faces as they rot and decay, unaware of their fate. How long can Siya endure, with no escape from the rancid embrace of Grandfather Nurgle?

victrix fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Sep 22, 2020

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

D-Pad posted:

Anybody else doing open submissions this year? It's horror themed, and they are asking for a paragraph summary and 500 word excerpt.
I have a vague premise in mind that seems fundamentally serviceable, although the specifics look like they'll be tricky. Doesn't help that I'm not really into horror as a genre. We'll see!

The other day I had a fast fiction submission for Cold Open Stories rejected (rightfully, I think) but it felt less discouraging than expected all in all. Which is, I suppose, a good thing. :unsmith:

MMAgCh fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 22, 2020

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I've been kicking around this as an idea for a while.

quote:

On the eve of the Feast of the Emperor's Ascension, in the year 997.M41, the trade ship Pium Operatur arrived three months late to void anchor above the forgeworld of Verdantis Tertius with a cargo of migrant labour. Minor delays in warp travel such as this are not unheard of, and manufactorum overseers account for it in their production estimates. Those migrant labourers, gathered from a host of agri-worlds across the segmentum, hoping to improve their stations in life were processed as normal, with only the slightest extra scrutiny for possible warp taint. Ten years later, to the day as Holy Terran reckons time, the Pium Operatur arrived again. For the first time. With the same cargo. Across the planet, the migrant labourers who were still alive simply downed tools, walked out of sight, and vanished as if they had never been there at all.

But ten years is a long time. What had they been doing in their quiet hours? More importantly, what of the children born since they arrived?

I expect most of the "action" to be from the perspective of a low-level interrogator, working out that something bad has happened by piecing together information. Very slow burn, rising sense of "bad thing". Just ending on the realisation that yeah, you've probably got some warp-spawn running around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

I've been kicking around this as an idea for a while.

I expect most of the "action" to be from the perspective of a low-level interrogator, working out that something bad has happened by piecing together information. Very slow burn, rising sense of "bad thing". Just ending on the realisation that yeah, you've probably got some warp-spawn running around.

I like this too, reminds me of uh... some starship sci fi teaser short where they wake up in their ship confused, detect another ship incoming, and realize it's their ship

I'm not super fond of chaos, but all the chaos stories I've liked have leaned way more into the 'poo poo's fukken weird yo', moreso than the gross stuff (hi nurgle), or the RAH RAH BLUD khorne combat stuff.

Insidious corruption and just plain cosmic twilight zone is more interesting to me, the former gets under your skin, the latter can give you some cool mind fuckery to explore that you'll never see elsewhere in the setting.