Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah I didn't even see your most recent post, I had the page up and forgot to refresh before posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Nah that's cool. It's a good idea to look for other subtitles. I think someone told me to a while ago then I forgot.

Then I can watch Ong Bak again.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

May I recommend Bazaar for your subtitling needs? You could also likely get the SubZero plugin up and running with a little trouble.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

univbee posted:

Oh yeah, you need what are often referred to as “forced” subtitles. Yeah, that’s annoying to prep especially if you’re not intimately familiar with the movie/show. I wish MKV had a standard where you can say “if I enable English audio I want this subtitle track auto-enabled.” I’ve taken to doing burn-in renders, especially for movies where the subtitles have a specific look (Avatar being an obvious example). But that’s inconsistent too, some Blu-rays have a separate sub track for forced subs, some just have one subtitle track where certain lines have a “forced” flag enabled.

I kind of wish the French closed captioning system caught on elsewhere since subtitles are color-coded based on what they are which makes pulling only certain things a snap (it’s something like white is on-screen speaker, yellow is off-screen speaker, red is sound effects and green is speaking in a foreign language).

Plex has this. I forget if it’s server or client side, but you can set it to play x subtitles always when x language audio is selected (especially helpful with anime).

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yeah. I have that set on mine. It is set to default to Japanese audio and English subs. The only downside is that BD rips often have two english sets of subs, signs/songs and full english substitles. It is pretty common for plex to pick signs/songs automatically when you really want the full subs.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Yeah it gets to be fucky if you can't get really specific or gently caress with it (e.g. make "forced" subtitles flagged as "zxx" or something like that.) I've legit resorted to just having split Plex libraries for anime between dub and sub (especially since I also want French dub/sub and that just gets way too messy).

odiv posted:

Yes I mean dialogue only. The name thing I could take or leave, but stuff like [speaking Thai] or [rap music] is what I'd like to see gone from English subtitles.

For what it's worth, some subtitle editing programs have one-click tools to deal with this (it will purge any subtitles that are completely within brackets or parentheses and stuff like that).

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I've been running an rsync job for drat near 7 hours now moving over my plex config file structure to my SSD. I need to set up a cron job or something to clean out the Phototranscoder cache, good grief. Apparently the scheduled tasks aren't up to snuff.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

How do I configure my Apple TV to force direct play and not allow it to transcode? In the video playback I am selecting a quality above that of the original source file that I am trying to play, but it's still transcoding down to a SD version.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Sand Monster posted:

How do I configure my Apple TV to force direct play and not allow it to transcode? In the video playback I am selecting a quality above that of the original source file that I am trying to play, but it's still transcoding down to a SD version.

There should be a source or original option.

It’s also possible the Apple TV can’t play the format you’re using and it has to transcode. That is player dependent.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I've been having a fairly regular issue with my desktop hitching all to hell on larger videos being played from Plex. It's direct play via Chrome, but other browers have the issue as well; everything's wired, no wifi. It appears to be a browser based issue as the Plex desktop client doesn't seem to have the same problem from limited testing. That ring any bells for folks here or do I need to head over to the forums?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

What video codec and what sorts of bitrates? I'm assuming it's x264. Depending on how they're encoding they might be pinging too high a bitrate or otherwise going beyond a certain "level" setting for the encoding. For what it's worth, Blu-rays are constrained to Level 4.1 so you definitely shouldn't go above that unless you're specifically doing stuff like 4K, but you might even want to encode at Level 4.0 (sets a 25mbps cap on the bitrate) which goes a long way towards playback being a lot more reliable.

You might also want to consider if your audio is in a format other than AAC or AC3. Might be worth doing a quick test with a converted audio track and see if that helps, like your file uses FLAC or DTS.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Excellent points. These are all just the “best” quality versions of videos Youtubedl could grab for my pipeline. I’ll have to take a look at how ffmpeg is handling these things and see if that gets better results.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Ok I think I've found the root cause of the stuttering issues: my photo library. Plex is/was periodically scanning the contents of assorted folders and the umpteen gazillion ones that Mrs. Burd and I produce/upload to the NAS seems to have been causing streams to lock up. The container/machine has plenty of oomph to spare, but I'm suspecting they boogered something up in the last few months that caused the issue to pop up. Unmounting that volume in docker has solved the issue for now, but I'm going to try and reinstate it with the "scan at a lower priority" and at a less frequent interval to see if I can get the photos back up and working without impacting muh videos.

Carl Winslow
Sep 1, 2004
donut
My Live TV isn’t working at all (just in time for NFL kickoff...probably should have checked that) and I have no idea why. My antenna is pulling about 40-50 channels, most with good signal, and the Hauppauge software works without issue (WinTV 8.5) so I know that’s not the problem. Plex is pulling everything and populates the guide without issue, but any playback doesn’t work at all. Any ideas? On iOS I’m getting error code 5000 when I try to play any channel.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Carl Winslow posted:

My Live TV isn’t working at all (just in time for NFL kickoff...probably should have checked that) and I have no idea why. My antenna is pulling about 40-50 channels, most with good signal, and the Hauppauge software works without issue (WinTV 8.5) so I know that’s not the problem. Plex is pulling everything and populates the guide without issue, but any playback doesn’t work at all. Any ideas? On iOS I’m getting error code 5000 when I try to play any channel.

Was it working before? Also does it work if you play on a desktop? If memory serves, OTA is generally MPEG2 which iOS Plex doesn’t support natively.

Carl Winslow
Sep 1, 2004
donut

univbee posted:

Was it working before? Also does it work if you play on a desktop? If memory serves, OTA is generally MPEG2 which iOS Plex doesn’t support natively.

Doesn’t work in any format (desktop, iOS, or Apple TV). It used to work a while ago so maybe it’s an issue with the current server version. The fact that it works on WinTV 8.5 (bundled with my Hauppauge tuner) means it’s gotta be a Plex-specific issue I think.

Edit: a server reboot sometimes gets it going again for a little bit and then it stops working again.

Carl Winslow fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Sep 13, 2020

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I sometimes have to unplug and replug the HD Homerun

Carl Winslow
Sep 1, 2004
donut

sellouts posted:

I sometimes have to unplug and replug the HD Homerun

I’m attempting to install just the WinTV drivers from Hauppauge, not the software. Reading that there might be some kind of conflict there with Plex.

Edit: still doesn’t work. WTF

Carl Winslow fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 13, 2020

Carl Winslow
Sep 1, 2004
donut
FYI I somehow got Live TVworking - Hauppauge also points out on their website that there is a setting in Windows 10 under Privacy where you have to allow apps to have camera access. So between that setting and a reinstall of the software/drivers, it seems to be working.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd
Currently working on a script to auto add MAL's top upcoming anime movies into Radarr.. proving harder then it looks. MAL's pages are a price of poo poo.

Dr. Poz
Sep 8, 2003

Dr. Poz just diagnosed you with a serious case of being a pussy. Now get back out there and hit them till you can't remember your kid's name.

Pillbug
For a while I was happy enough using a single Plex account but lately I've had reason to make a home user for myself. I have some playlists I created on the primary user that I shared with my new user. When I look at the "Shared Media" tab from the Admin account I can see I'm sharing these playlists. When I look at the "Shared Media" tab from the new account I can see they are shared with me. When I go to my pinned menu item for "Playlists" I don't see the playlists. I suspect that the "sharing" just shared the media contained within the playlist but not the playlist itself. Is playlist sharing with Home Users something that can be done?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Playlists cannot be shared with any users by default.

However!

If you download PlexTools you can copy existing playlists to other users regardless of what type they are. Presumably these are static copies and if you update them you’ll have to delete them from your shared accounts and copy again. Frustrating but better than nothing.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Me: Using Sonarr to sanitize the filenames via TVDB info, I shall add a currently airing and hugely popular TV show

Plex: Ah! I see you have added a French sitcom from 20 years ago that only 8 people ever watched.

Repeat ad nauseum.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
I’ve started putting the year on the show folder just reflexively

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
What steps would I take to troubleshoot a few files I have that won't play properly on Plex for AppleTV? They play all choppy and wrong.

The files are direct playing both audio and video. Originally I thought maybe the bitrate was too high, but I have other files with higher bitrates that play just fine. Then I thought maybe the file itself was hosed, but it plays just fine on Plex on iOS and the Plex LG TV app.

It's only hosed on the AppleTV app. I would expect it to say "your server is not fast enough to stream this file" or whatever it usually says, but it doesn't say that.

Are there other AppleTV Plex clients I can try? I know about Infuse, but I believe it costs money and I'm happy with the official Plex client otherwise. Are there others?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Are they 4K UHD remux files? I have a few that don’t play nicely for whatever reason, I think I’ve tried turning the enhanced player off to no avail. They’re not common but it is annoying, it’ll probably be something similar to the files that had 2 ref frames in them that wouldn’t play correctly for years.

Also not a bad idea about adding a year to the TV folder, I might amend Sonarr to do that if it has that option as part of its naming schema.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Yeah, they're UHD HEVC files.

Even if there's no way for me to fix it because it's just a bug in Plex, is there a way for me to send a bug report to them where it just sends them the specs of the file and a note from me that says "HAY THIS FILE DOESN'T PLAY NICE IN THE tvOS APP"?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Looks like there’s a fairly lengthy thread discussing it so I’m sure they’re aware. Hopefully there’s some encouraging stuff posted, Plex issues like that just take ages I’ve found.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/example-of-stuttering-hevc-playback-on-apple-tv-4k/558255

E: looks like similar issues but with reencoded files, so less an issue if groups are just doing lovely nonstandard jobs. Proper remuxes should absolutely be fine though, I’ll read and look deeper because I know we won’t be the only ones.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 25, 2020

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
There is some hevc format that is an extension / newer that wouldn't play on my roku ultra. Recrunching it to regular hevc fixed it. I would try that.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

How much of an upgrade would a QNAP ts-453b be over a Shield pulling files from a mycloud? I'm assuming a bug upgrade?

I can get a 2gb ram one for 379, figured maybe it's time to take the plunge. I've heard synology is better though.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Me: Using Sonarr to sanitize the filenames via TVDB info, I shall add a currently airing and hugely popular TV show

Plex: Ah! I see you have added a French sitcom from 20 years ago that only 8 people ever watched.

Repeat ad nauseum.

I quite liked the cover art for 'Les Boys'

How do I force Plex to pick up 'The Third Day' (awesome Jude Law Wickerman). Its on tvdb but my only guess why it won't is the slightly unusual 3 part name format.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that was another show that mismatched for me. I did the usual ‘fix match’ -> go to the edit screen and remove the year it added itself -> re-search and it was the second entry then.

And yeah, that artwork was something else.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Chubby Henparty posted:

I quite liked the cover art for 'Les Boys'

How do I force Plex to pick up 'The Third Day' (awesome Jude Law Wickerman). Its on tvdb but my only guess why it won't is the slightly unusual 3 part name format.

Find it on tvdb and in search paste the identifier #

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

What steps would I take to troubleshoot a few files I have that won't play properly on Plex for AppleTV? They play all choppy and wrong.

The files are direct playing both audio and video. Originally I thought maybe the bitrate was too high, but I have other files with higher bitrates that play just fine. Then I thought maybe the file itself was hosed, but it plays just fine on Plex on iOS and the Plex LG TV app.

It's only hosed on the AppleTV app. I would expect it to say "your server is not fast enough to stream this file" or whatever it usually says, but it doesn't say that.

Are there other AppleTV Plex clients I can try? I know about Infuse, but I believe it costs money and I'm happy with the official Plex client otherwise. Are there others?

4K files that the Plex app won't play on AppleTV run buttery smooth on Intune. That app is a beast, it may be bias but movies tend to look a little better in it as well. Give it a shot.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

MichiganCubbie posted:

How much of an upgrade would a QNAP ts-453b be over a Shield pulling files from a mycloud? I'm assuming a bug upgrade?

I can get a 2gb ram one for 379, figured maybe it's time to take the plunge. I've heard synology is better though.

Plex aside a QNAP/Synology device would certainly allow for a wider range of apps and expandability than the mycloud.

Strictly talking Plex, it really depends on your use case. If the primary way you watch Plex content is on a TV through the Shield then you probably won't seen much of a difference. But if you need to support streaming to several different clients simultaneously then the QNAP should provide a better experience.

Is there some issue you're currently having using the Shield as a Plex host?

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Krailor posted:

Plex aside a QNAP/Synology device would certainly allow for a wider range of apps and expandability than the mycloud.

Strictly talking Plex, it really depends on your use case. If the primary way you watch Plex content is on a TV through the Shield then you probably won't seen much of a difference. But if you need to support streaming to several different clients simultaneously then the QNAP should provide a better experience.

Is there some issue you're currently having using the Shield as a Plex host?

It's honestly more about wanting to upgrade the backend of things, since I don't like just having multiple WD drives daisy chained into my router. I do share Plex with 4-5 different family members, but the most I usually get at a time is 3.

I actually bought the QNAP, and now I'm trying to figure out how to change everything over without breaking everything. I have:

2x4TB in a WD My Cloud EX2 Ultra, working in Raid, not sure what type, connected to my router
1x10 TB in a WD EasyStore, connected via USB to the My Cloud

I'd like to incorporate everything together with as little work as possible :-D

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Why does Tautulli say my connection is WAN, considering I am remotely connected to my server with gigabit down to my shield 2019 and gigabit up from my server, with ethernet on both ends? Is this why some things buffer or stutter?

I'm trying to figure out why some things don't play smoothly and some other things don't. I think it may have to do with bit rate? I have consistent connections on both end so I should theoretically be able to direct stream (always going to have audio converted to stereo) files up to my max bit rate, which is like 70 Mbps.

What gives? I'll try to find more info

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

The only time I see stutters is files with 7.1 True HD audio. Switching to the 5.1 track eliminates the stuttering.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Is there a way to force sonarr to not be wrong? It seems mighty willful. I can’t for example convince it that episode 22 of cowboy bebop is not in fact the movie and that 23-26 aren’t 22-25.

I actually don’t think Plex had a problem with this but I was hoping sonarr would fix everything else including files that Plex completely ignores that apparently have nothing to do with naming conventions or permissions or file types.

Pls send panacea, tv rename does nothing

E: CB not the main problem I have a few hundred series that need cleaning up and want to be able to just click through them fast but two out of the first three had issues out of the gate so I don’t want to just mangle the rest and end up worse than I started

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari
Sonarr is not very good at anime, unfortunately. Sonarr's assumed episode numbering/naming scheme does not mesh with anime, especially for sources that use absolute numbering (e.g. "ep 25" would be "s02e01" in the West). FileBot can help here, if you use that to rename things into a format that matches Sonarr's metadata provider.