Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I wasn't a fan of TGE when I first read it, but that's because I was expecting some sort of fantasy book, and instead I got a lifetime movie set in a fantasyland. It's great for a heartwarming kinda book, but pretty much sweet gently caress all happens in it.

Yeah I found it kind of okay but I was expecting something with a load of intrigue and backstabbing but it turned out that anyone who didn't openly hate the emperor was completely loyal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I dislike the Goblin Emperor largely because I felt like Maia never actually had to learn anything or do anything. There's a problem, Maia's nice, everything works out without him having to take any other actions other than 'general passive niceness'. Repeat until the book ends.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Marshal Radisic posted:

Yeah, Roberts tends to delete older material from his blogs if he decides to put them in a small-press collection of reviews. He also has a habit of creating multiple blogs, bouncing between them, then abandoning them at a moment's notice. Aside from Sibilant Fricative he also has Morphosis, and while that one isn't strictly SF/F there is some content, including a massive review of Peter Higgins' Wolfhound Empire trilogy that convinced me to properly read the three books and understand what they were doing. He also has a sideblog dedicated to his 2017-8 project of reading through the entire bibliography of HG Wells. There's also this sideblog, which only has a single review of Justin Call's Master of Sorrows from February on it.

Hey, thanks for these links. His reviews might get me to tackle Wolfhound Century again, or read more Paul McAuley.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

branedotorg posted:

Katherine Addison, author of The Goblin Emperor, returns with The Angel of the Crows, a fantasy novel of alternate 1880s London, where killers stalk the night and the ultimate power is naming.

This is not the story you think it is. These are not the characters you think they are. This is not the book you are expecting.

In an alternate 1880s London, angels inhabit every public building, and vampires and werewolves walk the streets with human beings in a well-regulated truce. A fantastic utopia, except for a few things: Angels can Fall, and that Fall is like a nuclear bomb in both the physical and metaphysical worlds. And human beings remain human, with all their kindness and greed and passions and murderous intent.

Jack the Ripper stalks the streets of this London too. But this London has an Angel. The Angel of the Crows.

TBH doesn't sound like my thing

I read this and do not recommend it. It is in fact an exact recapitulation of the greatest hits in the Sherlock canon, except that Holmes and Watson and a few others have a slight occult gloss. And I do mean EXACT -- it goes beat by beat through Hound of the Baskervilles including the same supporting characters with the same names. She made Sherlock less interesting by taking out his explosive, depressive side and making him into an ethereal but mild-mannered angel.

It's a pleasant enough read but simply retreading mysteries that are well over a hundred years old is a bizarre decision. Like Watson spends a few chapters heading out to The Speckled Band, immediately deduces its a snake, and then they capture the snake. Great. Is it so hard to come up with something else for Angel-Sherlock to do?

It also includes the most unnecessary and pointless genderswap of Watson.

I concluded this was some sort of writing exercise that got published on the basis of TGE. And I loved TGE!

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

<re-posted from off-site SFL readthrough blog>

SFL Archives Vol 11 readthrough update 06
54% completion, 152 bookmarks

18 items of interest.

<re-posted from off-site SFL readthrough blog>

quantumfoam fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 29, 2021

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Copernic posted:

I read this and do not recommend it. It is in fact an exact recapitulation of the greatest hits in the Sherlock canon, except that Holmes and Watson and a few others have a slight occult gloss. And I do mean EXACT -- it goes beat by beat through Hound of the Baskervilles including the same supporting characters with the same names. She made Sherlock less interesting by taking out his explosive, depressive side and making him into an ethereal but mild-mannered angel.

That's too bad, I really enjoyed Goblin Emperor.

Somewhere in the Goodreads description they mention that it started as 'wingfic', fan fiction where a character is given wings. Not a genre I knew existed.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

me, on discord: "Hmm, finding it fascinating how I'm bouncing between/arguing with the harder sci-fi / fantasy / horror novels. Wherein I like the idea of reading them, but they tend to be long and you have to focus on them, and phew."
friend: "please tell me "hard fantasy" is an actual (sub)genre"

and now I'm actually thinking about this. Is there an actual subgenre? Like, I know there's "magic with rules" ala Sanderson but that's, hmmmm.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Chuck Tingle can be pretty hard fantasy

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
The Baru series is kinda hard fantasy.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The real distinction you want is between "high" and "low" fantasy, which used to mean "is this written more like Lord Dunsany or more like Robert E. Howard" but now tends to mean "how common is magic in your setting" and / or "is this supposed to be the real world or not."

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

StrixNebulosa posted:

me, on discord: "Hmm, finding it fascinating how I'm bouncing between/arguing with the harder sci-fi / fantasy / horror novels. Wherein I like the idea of reading them, but they tend to be long and you have to focus on them, and phew."

and now I'm actually thinking about this. Is there an actual subgenre? Like, I know there's "magic with rules" ala Sanderson but that's, hmmmm.
unfortunately you're going to run into a lot of so-called Rational(ist) Fantasy

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
I'd say Modesitt's Recluce series might count as hard fantasy. Lots of focus on what society/trade/warfare looks like with magic around.

Which brings me to a question: any major works with elves/goblins/dwarves etc., but no magic at all in them?

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...

graventy posted:

That's too bad, I really enjoyed Goblin Emperor.

Somewhere in the Goodreads description they mention that it started as 'wingfic', fan fiction where a character is given wings. Not a genre I knew existed.

Let me give an example of how strange this book is. In the original Hound of the Baskervilles there's an early mystery where Sir Henry's boots go missing. This is explained late in the book as bad guy Stapleton stealing the boots to teach his trained hound what Henry smells like. Here, yet again Sir Henry loses his boots and the characters run around looking for boots. However this time the escaped convict Selden turns out to be a hell-hound who is convinced by Stapleton to take on the assassination attempt. Thus the boots become superfluous. I went back and checked and Addison faithfully mentions in a few throwaway, easily missed lines that the original hound was killed by Selden and the missing boot is nearby.

So its all internally consistent -- in this version, Stapleton did initially need the boot but abandoned boot and hound when he got an actual hell-hound to carry out his evil plans. But from a plot standpoint, what the hell is this? Its all very odd.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

quantumfoam posted:

- I, Martha Adams" by Pauline Glen Winslow. "America has become complacent & surrenders to the Russians after they destroy certain military bases. One woman fights back. This book has good ingredients for a movie - pyrotechnics, politics, bad guys beating upon good guys, suspense, and sex. Oh, yes, let us not forget a strong female lead".

(2020 note: I have no idea. It sounds terrible in a uniquely libertarian feminist survivalist way.)
Hahaha, that takes me back. Back in my late teens I had this "hobby" of tracking down and reading novels depicting fictional Soviet invasions of the United States or the UK, mostly by trawling Paul Brians' online bibliography of nuclear war stories. I was able to find a few novels that were decent enough reads that handled their subjects with some nuance, but I, Martha Adams wasn't one of them, rarely rising above the level of your bog-standard Reagan-era conservative polemic.

mewse
May 2, 2006

StrixNebulosa posted:

Like fantasy in the vein of hard sci-fi?

There's a series of novels called the accursed kings by Maurice Druon that GRRM cites as being "the original game of thrones". They're more accurately described as historical fiction rather than hard fantasy, but I think their existence proves the point that you can have dramatic, warring noble houses fantasy and leave out the magic & dragons part.

e: does this mean Robin Hood is hard fantasy? crap

mewse fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 23, 2020

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Marshal Radisic posted:

Hahaha, that takes me back. Back in my late teens I had this "hobby" of tracking down and reading novels depicting fictional Soviet invasions of the United States or the UK, mostly by trawling Paul Brians' online bibliography of nuclear war stories. I was able to find a few novels that were decent enough reads that handled their subjects with some nuance, but I, Martha Adams wasn't one of them, rarely rising above the level of your bog-standard Reagan-era conservative polemic.

You might enjoy this blog.

https://fuldapocalypsefiction.com/

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

hard r fantasy

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Was not expecting that fourth review as I scrolled down.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

I've read some stuff Addison has written under her other (real?) name, Sarah Monette, and a lot of it was pretty underwhelming, honestly. I loved Goblin Emperor but I think it might be kind of the odd one out in her bibliography.

I bounced off The Goblin Emperor because the first chapter didn't grab me, but if I had known that it was written by the psychic wolf gang rape author I wouldn't have even bothered in the first place.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hard sci-fi is just bullshit and substitutes a wizard did it with a scientist/alien did it.
Actual science does not fit into a story format, despite the fact that most prominent scientists are excellent story tellers.

For hard fantasy, I guess A land fit for heroes by Morgan is an option. :v:

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Book of Koli (Rampart #1) by MR Carey - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W54MPDZ/

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Hobnob posted:

I'd say Modesitt's Recluce series might count as hard fantasy. Lots of focus on what society/trade/warfare looks like with magic around.

Which brings me to a question: any major works with elves/goblins/dwarves etc., but no magic at all in them?

Dale Lucas has a series called Fifth Ward that does have elves and dwarves and whatnot, but as far as I can recall there's no magic or wizards. There might be a spell or two but I can't recall. I know the elves are telepathic, but it's been a while since I read any of them.

Good books.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Less Fat Luke posted:

The Baru series is kinda hard fantasy.

I've been thinking of it as Speculative Fantasy to riff off of "Speculative Fiction" as a term for science fiction.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

quantumfoam posted:

I distinctly remember a "Would whoever grabbed the cables I used to hookup the portable computer-terminal at last week's Worldcon, please return them to me" happening at least once.
To the Toriel cosplayer who etc.

(I will take any opportunity to reference that awful piece of garbage internet post.)

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

Khizan posted:

I dislike the Goblin Emperor largely because I felt like Maia never actually had to learn anything or do anything. There's a problem, Maia's nice, everything works out without him having to take any other actions other than 'general passive niceness'. Repeat until the book ends.

Walking Simulator Fiction: Protagonist wanders about noticing things being resolved around them.

It was fairly low stress to read, but so devoid of actual events I literally cannot remember anything about it beyond the set-up and the general impression that Goblins and Elves could be replaced by any literally other traditionally opposed viewpoints (cathlics/protestants, dogs/cats etc) and the text could remain the same, albeit weirdly focussed on the state of people's ears (although that would probably still fit with dogs/cats)

pseudorandom name posted:

I bounced off The Goblin Emperor because the first chapter didn't grab me, but if I had known that it was written by the psychic wolf gang rape author I wouldn't have even bothered in the first place.

Urrrgh. So much for my blissful ignorance.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pradmer posted:

The Book of Koli (Rampart #1) by MR Carey - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W54MPDZ/

Windmill slam buy if you're in the right country.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

The what now

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Cardiac posted:

For hard fantasy, I guess A land fit for heroes by Morgan is an option. :v:

If wizards existed in secret, like in a typical urban fantasy setting, I’d image they would distinguish between fantasy that matched their understanding of how magic worked, and that which got it completely ‘wrong’. Hard fantasy would be the former.

Meanwhile, non-wizards would remain completely unable to tell the difference.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

freebooter posted:

The what now

A Companion to Wolves. Read this interesting review before you judge it:

https://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/reviews/books/0-7653-1816-4.html

quote:

And, more difficultly, the rumors about the wolfcarls are not wrong. The wolfcarls, matching the warrior cultures on which they're modelled, are exclusively male. The wolves, of course, are not. This means there is none of Pern's convenient matching of sex in bonding. However, the emotional bond to wolves is just as strong (and far more intensely described). When one of the bitches comes into heat, there's an orgy of both sex and violence as the male wolves fight for precedence and then take their turns at mating. And their human brothers do the same.

The feelings of the wolfless towards homosexuality are strongly negative, and that's the culture Njall was raised in. He's nearly as horrified as his father by the idea of having sex with a man and considers it particularly dishonorable and womanly to be the one on the bottom. When he bonds with a female wolf, that's exactly what Lord Gunnarr most feared. But the alpha females, the konigenwolves, are the leaders of the wolf pack, and their brothers are therefore the ones who can keep peace and settle problems between the men as well. The brother of the pack konigenwolf therefore holds an odd position of power within a wolfheall, not the leader in war but the leader in many other respects. This puts Isolfr into a female role of peacekeeper and pushes him towards a role almost like a wife, but at the same time, Viradechtis, his sister-wolf, is dominant and will eventually lead her own pack. It's a role with some fascinating crossover sexual dynamics that plays with and questions the division between male and female roles in a society.

Isolfr (Njall after he has bonded with Viradechtis, since wolfcarls always choose a new name) struggles with this role for the entire book. It's the source of many of the most honest and uncomfortable challenges in the book and a wonderful subversion of the typical wish-fulfillment path these stories take. It's one thing to form a deep and abiding bond with your wolf, to know her thoughts and joys, and to always have her comfort at your side. It's quite another to have to learn how to cover yourself in lube to survive what feels uncomfortably close to an imminent gang rape while that same wolf is going into heat, happily teasing and toying with every adult male wolf in range and driving them into a sexual frenzy.

Dealing with mating is one of the most uncomfortable aspects of the book, but it's also one of the best. I won't describe Monette and Bear's treatment as tasteful, since that implies euphemism and well-timed scene cuts that would have undermined the honesty of the story, but neither is it exploitative. The problem plays out on camera, but every shock feels necessary to the story. It's a far stronger and more believable test of Isolfr's bond with Viradechtis than simple warfare. It's difficult, it stays difficult, it's not what Isolfr wants, and he learns how to handle it anyway. Viradechtis can't understand how he feels, but tries to anyway. And in the process, the story exposes and confronts social construction of roles, social construction of gender and sexuality, and the real implications of culture clash (which is never as simple as going to a different life that's better in every way).

The defining characteristic of A Companion to Wolves is this sort of unflinching honesty and willingness to incorporate all aspects of being human into the story. Family, loyalty, death, war, sexuality, birth (from several different directions), and religion are all woven into a coherent culture. It's messy, dirty, and occasionally gross and terrifying, which makes the moments of triumph and companionship all the more important. People die. Wolves die. The world moves on. And by the middle of the book, I stopped making Pern comparisons, however delightful it was to see assumptions questioned, and was just reading.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Anyways hi thread thanks for your thoughtful responses to my hard fantasy question, and I agree with a lot of you. I also can't be mad at Robin Hobb being hard fantasy because that's hilarious to me.

Today I am reading Wolfhound Century and poking at Paul McAuley's Fairyland, but don't know yet if I'll settle into them as I'm still in this very... jump from book to book mood.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Jedit posted:

Windmill slam buy if you're in the right country.

The Book of Koli looks like it's extremely my thing, having run a lengthy tabletop RPG campaign in what sounds very much like that setting. I'm concerned by a review on Audible though - spoiler tagged just in case:

quote:

Story was well constructed and well conceived for the first half or so, and then it seemed to me the author started taking short cuts and getting cute, and the story just fell apart into a Lifetime TV feel good mode. None of the grit of the first half. I had to go back to the Audible site to see the book category to see if I had fallen into that familiar YA trap. It was obviously, at least to me, a rickety bridge to the second book of the trilogy. Or worse, the publisher forced a deadline. No more flesh eating plants or nasty animals, just a vulnerable bratty girl with daddy issues.

Emphasis mine, because the "shove a romance into a story that was perfectly interesting without it" thing is my biggest pet peeve in literature. Can anyone who's read this series comment on it?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Does this happen? The review Strix Nebulosa linked made it sound pretty interesting.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

How about the Commonweal books by Graydon Saunders?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Wikipedia describing Baru as hard fantasy is the first time I've encountered the term, dunno if the General would agree with that though.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I hate all subgenres, marketing labels, and things nerds argue over on Reddit. Just read the loving book you Sanderson rear end category havers

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

General Battuta posted:

Just read the loving book you Sanderson rear end category havers

Can this be the new thread title please?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Sarern posted:

Can this be the new thread title please?
Could probably work as a forum title as well.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

General Battuta posted:

I hate all subgenres, marketing labels, and things nerds argue over on Reddit. Just read the loving book you Sanderson rear end category havers

I prefer to think of the Baru books as Renaissancepunk.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Lol, perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Safety Biscuits posted:

Does this happen? The review Strix Nebulosa linked made it sound pretty interesting.

It happens, more or less. The young man bonded with the alpha female wolf has sex with multiple other men and while he is there voluntarily, it isn't anything he wanted, and it traumatizes him badly and never really goes away, he's dealing with it throughout the rest of his time in the books. I've read two or three of them, I forget now. She's a good author but it's not going to be for everyone, to say the least.