Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

This bothers me. I really don't give a poo poo about garrison size. I want to know at a glance how many levies I am getting from a holding, but it switches between showing garrisons and levies.

It's dependent on whether you're at war or not. When at peace the icon will show your holding's income and levy yield and when at war it shows fort level and garrison size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

PittTheElder posted:

Your spymaster has uncovered a scheme to murder Princess Eadgifu!

Don't joke! I saved and went back to work after this. I'm reluctant to load it back up after achieving such perfection.

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?
Also for those having trouble, spend every dime you can on economic buildings in your capital county and build any extra castle holdings you can there too. I've had 30,000+ gold for as long as I can remember and any war can be won by simply stacking mercs.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Zig-Zag posted:

So in my pandya game I managed to get to a pretty decent size and I have all my holdings filled up. I'm building sacred temples on the holy sites will I get the realm wide bonus if I don't directly control them?

Okay, I looked this up because I was only pretty-sure I was right how it worked and drat, I was right but it's a lot more complicated than that. Basically, as far as I can tell, the various special temples on the holy sites will only grant you bonuses if you hold it personally. I think this means you need to have a faith with lay clergy and you as the temporal head of the religion, but maaaybe it also works if you have lay clergy and no religion head? Definitely does not work if you have theocratic clergy, even if you own the county the holding with the holy site is in.

BUT, having anyone of your faith holding a holy site gives everyone with that faith a bonus. I thought it was like, a small same bonus but apparently each holy site has a unique bonus which is loving crazy. List here, from the CK3 wiki.

Does anyone know for sure if leasing out the temple to your court priest (lay clergy / no head of faith) means you don't get the temple bonus? I feel like it wouldn't because of how "leasing" works but uh, I'm not totally sure. The "realm" / "demesne" distinction is basically the biggest problem CK3 has in terms of interface, IMO, there's all sorts of things that seem really confusing.

Eimi posted:

Tech is another one where I'm iffy on. It's incredibly fast if you focus on it, and it feels too....discrete? I'm probably alone in this but I liked how gradual the CK2 tech system was.

I hope this is a fair list of things to criticize without getting into "oh there's no artifacts/other dlc feature", especially since I'm sure some of this stuff is harder to change than other things. It was interesting to see that CK2 still felt rewarding and not entirely obsoleted yet though.

Yeah, this was a useful and good post, thanks. I wanted to undersign the tech bit -- I feel like the tech system is going to get a total overhaul at some point. I feel very strange about the link between tech and culture, and the culture head thing. I don't like it from a gameplay perspective and I find something a little iffy about the like... implicit politics of that decision? Idk, not trying to cancel anyone here, just smells a bit like cultural existentialism to me and that makes me kinda uncomfortable. But more importantly I think the speeds are weird, the tree not super interesting, the hard limits an awkward compromise, and ultimately the series of decisions around tech simply are not interesting enough.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

A God drat Ghost posted:

I just got a banner event stating, "Some rear end in a top hat duke is now your Chancellor. He cannot be fired for 25 years" or something like that. No idea what triggered it. This duke doesn't have a contract that guarantees him a spot on the council. I'm really curious what could have happened - anyone seen that?

If that was a scheme, then it was a really bad move on his part, says nothing about him having to survive for 25 years and my intrigue king just got a hostile scheme action open. Bye duke with 12 diplomacy...

It's worth noting that when a vassal forces their way onto your council you can also still reassign them to other council positions in case they have a good skill.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

You can force a job with a weak hook.

wow, did not know that! I allowed him to get one a while back in some other event but will definitely not do that again. Anyway he's dead now, so that problem is solved.

Gobblecoque posted:

It's worth noting that when a vassal forces their way onto your council you can also still reassign them to other council positions in case they have a good skill.

good to know, he was garbage at everything. should have studied a bit harder if he wanted it so badly.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Does anyone know where in game you can see the modifiers from your faith holding a holy site? I literally did not know they were unique to each holy site until I read that wiki page.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

Digital Osmosis posted:

Does anyone know where in game you can see the modifiers from your faith holding a holy site? I literally did not know they were unique to each holy site until I read that wiki page.

Select the Faith overlay and you can mouse over each one or go to the Faiths Window and look at Holy Sites.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Digital Osmosis posted:

Click the Religion screen icon in the bottom left. It'll show the holy sites as icons on the map. Hover over those icons; the tooltip will tell you what bonuses it gives.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Thanks!

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Digital Osmosis posted:

Okay, I looked this up because I was only pretty-sure I was right how it worked and drat, I was right but it's a lot more complicated than that. Basically, as far as I can tell, the various special temples on the holy sites will only grant you bonuses if you hold it personally. I think this means you need to have a faith with lay clergy and you as the temporal head of the religion, but maaaybe it also works if you have lay clergy and no religion head? Definitely does not work if you have theocratic clergy, even if you own the county the holding with the holy site is in.

BUT, having anyone of your faith holding a holy site gives everyone with that faith a bonus. I thought it was like, a small same bonus but apparently each holy site has a unique bonus which is loving crazy. List here, from the CK3 wiki.

Does anyone know for sure if leasing out the temple to your court priest (lay clergy / no head of faith) means you don't get the temple bonus? I feel like it wouldn't because of how "leasing" works but uh, I'm not totally sure. The "realm" / "demesne" distinction is basically the biggest problem CK3 has in terms of interface, IMO, there's all sorts of things that seem really confusing.

If you start as tribal, you don't need to have lay clergy to hold a county with a holy site on it because it won't start with a temple holding in it. You could build a castle there and hold it, and that's if it isn't in the county capital where there will be a castle after the transition. At least, I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

And you are correct that if you lease a temple out to a realm priest, you don't get any benefits from the baronies they hold--those with temple holdings in them, including holy site special buildings.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Excelzior posted:

help another dude in that petty kingdom get his earldom until you can take that petty kingdom for yourself, then you WILL in fact be their rightful liege

until then the "you helped me take my earldom!" bonus should tide them over

In other words, the Burger King needs to give the conquered McDonald's to the newly transferred vassal of Duke McCheese, then create for himself the title of Emperor of All Burger Franchises, which is a title both Burger King and McDonald's are a part of, making him the rightful ruler of both. This will also grant him a valid casus belli against the remaining un-vassalized kingdom of the Five Guys.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of Holy Sites, all the the Taoist ones except one are located just outside the borders of the Tibetan De Jure empire, it's driving me nuts.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Quizzlefish posted:

Also for those having trouble, spend every dime you can on economic buildings in your capital county and build any extra castle holdings you can there too. I've had 30,000+ gold for as long as I can remember and any war can be won by simply stacking mercs.

That and conquer Rome and don't forget that you have to upgrade the castles in your counties rather than just staring blankly and wondering why you can't upgrade your buildings past level 2.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FreudianSlippers posted:

Babies in this game all look really grumpy

It's cause they know they have to wait 16 years to start seducing

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Eimi posted:

The prosperity system of CK2 was great, where a plague or siege was actually a major setback destroying years of work, but I'm not sure it's possible to lose dev now, is it? I would like to speak of illnesses, but since my ck3 games have never held up long enough to get the Black Death, is it as utterly devastating as it is in ck2?

This is an excellent overview of concerns and, while I don't agree with them all I'm not really trying to pick it apart, but I'll note (as someone for whom prosperity was my favourite feature of Reaper's Due) that it actually is possible to lose dev: most dramatically from Mongols, but, more frequently from raids and certain province events - the key there is that from raids at least, you only lose dev if the current development progress level isn't high enough when the county is sacked, and this can't happen more often than once every twenty years (which might be too generous, maybe?)

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
Does anyone know a path to Cannibalism? I've got my own Christian Cannibal faith and the only piece missing is the Cannibal Trait.

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Quizzlefish posted:

Do you hand those extra castles out when you want to hold more counties in your duchies?

Quizzlefish
Jan 26, 2005

Am I not merciful?

canada jezus posted:

Do you hand those extra castles out when you want to hold more counties in your duchies?

The ones in the capital county I hold onto forever. I invest so much into them. My capital county alone has an income of c. 30 gold per month.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Blimpkin posted:

Does anyone know a path to Cannibalism? I've got my own Christian Cannibal faith and the only piece missing is the Cannibal Trait.

Go get a fuckload of prisoners and start torturing them. One of the random events that can fire during a torture session is you eating them which gives the cannibal trait.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

do we know if you need the Sadistic trait or not?

Don't think I've gotten Cannibal without it, but I haven't tested it out

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You can also get sadistic from torturing enough prisoners. It's just torturing all the way down.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I only got as far as having a guy be "the Mindbreaker," haven't gotten to trigger Cannibalism yet. I will resume torturing.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

canada jezus posted:

Daaaaamn. How much inbreeding do you need to pull that kind of stuff off?

Not that much, you can get there in a few generations but have to be very selective about spouses and ensuring that only heirs with good genes inherit. Investing in the dynasty tree also helps. Then once you get strong blooded, basically every child in your house will be born with these stats.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!

Blimpkin posted:

I had a random event that was about having a dream of eating my enemies, and I could choose to fixate on the taste of their blood.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of Holy Sites, all the the Taoist ones except one are located just outside the borders of the Tibetan De Jure empire, it's driving me nuts.

Taoism is weird, Zhengyi has a sixth holy site the other two faiths lack (in Khotan.) Also, I don't know much about Taoism but I don't know nothing either and I find it kind of weird that there are Taoist holy sites at all outside of China. I guess a fair number of the holy sites in the game for faiths are like... aspirational? Regardless I'd rather have weirdo Taoism than no Taoism because I had a ton of fun playing a Taoist Temporal Head of Faith -- who gets the unbelievably badass title of "Celestial Master" based on an actual Taoist theocracy that the Zhengyi sect evolved from. I called my empire "The Celestial Magesterium" and my version of Taoism involved cannibalism and the will to power.

All infidels will be consumed, as is the way

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

hexal posted:

I think it’s because you have the arrogant trait.
"Magnificent" can also be triggered by any of the beauty traits, so he's earned it twice over.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

But sadly, the beards are not available during the actual gameplay, only in the barber shop :smith:

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Quizzlefish posted:

The ones in the capital county I hold onto forever. I invest so much into them. My capital county alone has an income of c. 30 gold per month.

You can get away with that, more vassals les county per duchy? You can't get usurped and whatnot?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Digital Osmosis posted:

Taoism is weird, Zhengyi has a sixth holy site the other two faiths lack (in Khotan.) Also, I don't know much about Taoism but I don't know nothing either and I find it kind of weird that there are Taoist holy sites at all outside of China. I guess a fair number of the holy sites in the game for faiths are like... aspirational? Regardless I'd rather have weirdo Taoism than no Taoism because I had a ton of fun playing a Taoist Temporal Head of Faith -- who gets the unbelievably badass title of "Celestial Master" based on an actual Taoist theocracy that the Zhengyi sect evolved from. I called my empire "The Celestial Magesterium" and my version of Taoism involved cannibalism and the will to power.

All infidels will be consumed, as is the way

Tibet in general feels a bit shafted on content. No unique events, decisions, and no special buildings at all. I'm guessing we are going to see them get some love in the inevitable East Asia DLC though.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Quizzlefish posted:

They're almost certainly going to nerf it, but you don't even need mercs right now. That guide some one posted earlier about the MoAs is 100% spot on. Build barracks everywhere, get a healthy split of pikemen and heavy infantry, and you too can have a personal teleporting death squad that mulches armies 5-10 times bigger. The AI can't even really accurately gauge them so they will gladly send their people into the thresher.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
You can make pretty much any MaA unstoppable with a couple duchy buildings and some of the county buildings. Also, it is best to superinvest in one type of MaA and overwhelm any counter as opposed to having a balanced army, personally I prefer light cavalry because they have pursuit and the county building gives gold

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah as someone pointed out even if your solo army is countered by one other unit, it's only like a 10% reduction meanwhile whatever your army counters will make the effectiveness of the countered enemy like 5% because quantity has a quality all its own

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Daktar posted:

Mending the schism may well be within my grasp.

And close-kin marriage allows for some truly horrible relationships.

What the heck is an anglian empire

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Ya gotta have the siege weapon men at arms tho. My 120 trebuchets siege down just about any city in like 2-3 weeks.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

So it's been a few times where I've invited someone to my court with a duchy claim. When I go to declare war the action is "No longer available" and I'm out of luck. Anyone know why? Is it because of reknown?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I generally have my siege MAA in its own army with some levies to bulk it up and a Siege Leader. They carve out a line for supplies, rando levy armies are there to fill in the gaps more slowly while the main MAA host also sieges at the front lines while screening for enemy forces, and if there's a doomstack I can bring up the levies from behind

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I disinherited my second son after I got an event that my wife had been cheating on me.
So both my kingdom titles would end up with my other son. Excellent. Except he died in battle, woops. Anyway, my ruler dies, and my heir is my 1 year old grandson.
Playing as a kid is pretty hard. Can't sway, can't scheme, can't hold feasts etc, your stats suck...

Luckily my previous ruler janked the crown authority up to absolute just before he died, so when the faction threatened to go to war I just gave in.
I also pressed some vassals claims, created and gave away some duchies, anything I can think of to keep my vassals from revolting.

Thank God my spymaster has great stats and really likes me for some reason. This game owns.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

The only MaA is the elephant cavalry, the only building is the elephantary:

CK3 Wiki posted:

Holding
+1.3 Monthly Tax
-20% Building Construction Time
County

-2% Building Construction Gold Cost
+5% Monthly Development
Realm

+4 Number of Knights
+16% Knight Effectiveness
+16 Heavy Cavalry Damage
+6 Heavy Cavalry Toughness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Now combine that with the whole no vassals thing. Quick 50 duchies later and you're really talking