Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
"Low flow? gently caress no, I'm getting my 5 gallons per flush if I have to build it myself, goddammit!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
...Did somebody hold in the Reset button? How is this possible?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There was no ground fault. Current went from hot to neutral as designed.

It should and likely did trip the overcurrent protection in the panel.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Why would someone (purposefully?) short their outlet with a measuring tape....long enough to arc erode or vaporize that much of it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CarForumPoster posted:

Why would someone (purposefully?) short their outlet with a measuring tape....long enough to arc erode or vaporize that much of it?

Because moron.

I gather the thinking was like this: I need to measure the distance between prongs (for whatever reason) > I don't want to power off this device* > So I'll partially unplug and just move the metal tape measure down to---gently caress!

* - bonus points if it was a lamp because they needed the light to read the tape measure

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

aesthetic

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I could see it being accidental. This is the scenario the "Ground Facing Up" folks have been warning us about for years.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Slugworth posted:

I could see it being accidental. This is the scenario the "Ground Facing Up" folks have been warning us about for years.

Yeah. I'm not seeing the confusion. Was measuring something and the tape fell behind the plug and let out the magic smoke.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Atticus_1354 posted:

Yeah. I'm not seeing the confusion. Was measuring something and the tape fell behind the plug and let out the magic smoke.
A small price to pay for proper looking outlets

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Atticus_1354 posted:

Tape measures are very thin metal too so I see that happening quickly.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Insert your plugs all the way into the outlet - problem solved.

If your outlets can't hold the plug sufficient to keep it flush, time to replace it.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

B-Nasty posted:

Insert your plugs all the way into the outlet - problem solved.

If your outlets can't hold the plug sufficient to keep it flush, time to replace it.

If you've never seen various tool plugs hanging halfway out of a socket because corded tools suck and the extension cord is all the way over there then you've never been on a jobsite.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Atticus_1354 posted:

If you've never seen various tool plugs hanging halfway out of a socket because corded tools suck and the extension cord is all the way over there then you've never been on a jobsite.

I've been to plenty of jobsites but if a plug was out of the socket enough that you could put something in the gap, there was no power anymore, because I don't live in a failed state with no regulation.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I've been to plenty of jobsites but if a plug was out of the socket enough that you could put something in the gap, there was no power anymore, because I don't live in a failed state with no regulation.

Look all these pictures have to come from somewhere

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ashcans posted:

Look all these pictures have to come from somewhere

Ah so that's the raison d'être for America.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

3D Megadoodoo posted:

At least we have 60hz power, for more efficient and compact motor operation.

StormDrain posted:

Tape measures are very thin metal too so I see that happening quickly.

Yeah, the sequence of events there was probably *BOOM*gently caress*TRIP* in under a second, there's probably in the neighborhood of 5,000A of fault current available there, that'll take chunks out of your tape real quick.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.
USA: "drat previous owners left the knob and tube in"

Germany:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkuKsOU_2Ew

600 years of previous owners

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

That house makes me physically ill, something about the twisted angles makes me wonder if Dr. Caligari is about to step out.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Bensa posted:

Germany:

This looks like a Skyrim house

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I can't claim credit for writing this but some goon did years back. It sums things up pretty well and bears reposting.

some goon posted:

Old construction is better than new construction because older homes were usually overbuilt in structural terms. They'll also usually be in better parts of town, in more established neighborhoods, and closer to city centers and services because they were built before everyone drove everywhere. Old houses were built by tradespeople who treated construction as a career and took pride in their work. They were built to last forever. You'll have a yard and a sidewalk that leads somewhere you want to go. You'll have a cozy fireplace and a formal living room.

New construction is better than old construction because it follows modern building codes. You'll have outlets every six feet, laundry connections, a two car garage, cable in multiple rooms, and more than one light in any given room. You'll have a living room built with a TV in mind and a kitchen built with a microwave and dishwasher in mind. You'll have a media room rather than a formal living room. You'll have insulation in the walls and the ceiling, efficient appliances, a complete HVAC system, double-paned windows, and insulation-wrapped hot water pipes. You'll have bedrooms that fit king size beds, an eat-in kitchen, and a bathroom that's wider than a bathtub. You'll have special foundation reinforcement (where applicable) or storm-proof roofing. You won't have to worry about your roof for 20 years.

Old construction is worse than new construction because the walls hide horrible problems, like support beams cut in half, old wiring, leaky pipes with lead solder, and asbestos-lined heating ducts. There are never enough outlets and if you use the hair dryer and the microwave at the same time you'll have a brownout. Your drainage to the sewer, if it's present, will be clay pipes full of roots. You'll have tiny rooms with low ceilings and a tiny kitchen that doesn't have a dishwasher. You'll have the most inefficient heating system possible, and if there's air conditioning it will triple your electrical expenses and drop the temperature by 5 degrees and drip water down the inside of your wall. You'll have single-pane aluminum windows and no insulation in the walls. Your roof will have three layers of shingles on it or will be leaking or both.

New construction is worse than old construction because it was built by people hired that morning in a Home Depot parking lot, using the minimum amount of material in order to meet the too-lax building codes, designed to last through the three year warranty and not a day more. New construction sometimes employs new techniques in an incorrect manner, which often ends up trapping moisture somewhere in the walls and causing horrific mold or rot problems. New construction is all about the finishes and not about the structure or mechanicals. You'll get a yard that funnels water into your foundation covered in some sod and maybe a 2-year-old tree. Your brand new roof was flashed incorrectly and water's running underneath all of it.

All of the above is true, simultaneously. Home ownership is awesome

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Homeownership, at least it sucks less than renting.. but only just.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I had a lot more skrilla when I was renting a sleazy basement apartment from a functional alcoholic/Coke addict

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I would still be renting if moving every year to whatever place was in my budget wasn't so exhausting and disruptive once you have kids. I just wanted to know where I was going to live for more than a couple years.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Bensa posted:

Germany:

Been following that from the start, v nice

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Ashcans posted:

I would still be renting if moving every year to whatever place was in my budget wasn't so exhausting and disruptive once you have kids. I just wanted to know where I was going to live for more than a couple years.

My friend The Schwaz said to me "The Vancouver housing market is going to tank eventually. It's too expensive now, I'm going to wait for the downturn".

In 1999.

Two kids born and out of the house in that time and he's still renting. They had to move every 3-5 years because the owners kept selling their houses.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Wow that medieval house is cool, I love how the attic is just this multi-level maze of tripping hazards. Seems like a massive amount of space for what looks like just a single couple with 2 kids. It's great when people are skilled in craft them selves and can do poo poo like all the custom woodworking and ironworking needed.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I can't claim credit for writing this but some goon did years back. It sums things up pretty well and bears reposting.

Also worth remembering that survivorship bias applies to very old houses. The ones that still exist now were very well built because all the things that weren't well built fell the gently caress apart a long time ago, not because construction in the past was inherently better or more robust than construction today.

I mean the construction in the examples that still exist was definitely better, most of the shitboxes getting thrown up now probably won't live to see the 22nd century, but you get what I'm saying.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sometimes old buildings are built lovely but they somehow survive the centuries regardless.

Platystemon posted:

Pictured: getting it wrong.

Ashcans posted:

I happen to live close to the Fairbanks House, which is the oldest wooden home in the US (I think). It was built in 1637 and has some similar higgledy-piggledy features due to the settling over time. It was occupied by the same family until about 1900 and they just sort of added on to it without ever really renovating the older sections so it's a weird chronology of building over that period.

OneTruePecos posted:

I give you Ulm's Crooked House.

In person, it actually leans more than that angle makes apparent.

A level would sit flat on those windowsills.

This is what comes of building next to a canal without sinking your piers deep enough!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Renaissance Robot posted:

Also worth remembering that survivorship bias applies to very old houses. The ones that still exist now were very well built because all the things that weren't well built fell the gently caress apart a long time ago, not because construction in the past was inherently better or more robust than construction today.

^^^
This statement isn't false.

However....... As one who does a considerable amount of residential work (geotechnical investigations), there are a poo poo load of very nice, very good, still structurally sound, old houses that just don't happen to be heritage/historic designated, that get torn down for new builds.

So you are right, not everything from back in the day was "built better" but there is a poo poo ton of stuff out there that is perfectly serviceable that is just torn down because the buyer wants something new.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!

wesleywillis posted:

So you are right, not everything from back in the day was "built better" but there is a poo poo ton of stuff out there that is perfectly serviceable that is just torn down because the buyer wants something new.

Part of that is definitely people who want new construction for new construction sake, but there is also the issue of changing tastes and trends as well. My maternal grandparents have a very traditional home in the Northeast, and it's kind of silly nowadays to have a formal living room with doors that open into the parlor off to the side from the foyer where nobody spends time anymore. The rooms just become time capsules with classic wallpaper and furniture that just gets admired from a distance as guests go to the dining room/kitchen where everyone congregates. Newer residential construction is much less formal and more utilitarian in its intent and usage. So if the house isn't in a historical neighborhood where you're required to maintain a specific structure I can totally see the appeal of a new house over a traditional structure with much more cloistered and highly specific rooms.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Platystemon posted:

You know what they say, “a grinder and paint make me the welder I ain’t.”

I had a professor in college that decided, one day, that he'd make a paraglider. He had a Rotax engine that he bought so he figured, "why not make a plane?" He had lost his mind from taking a lot of pain killers for his back. I mean, an insane amount. Previously, he'd been a dick bag because of the pain, then he became a weirdo because of the pain killers.

He made it out of galvanized steel pipe. He did not grind off the zinc before welding. That probably made him more crazy. His welds were dreadful and full of voids. I'm talking voids so big you could probably disassemble the frame with just your hands. He fixed them by filling them with body putty. He didn't go cheap with just Bondo, he used Crystal Coat. He was a good model maker so he sculpted the welds so they looked like real welds. Then he did a very fine job painting them. The odds that any of those welds would hold was slim to none. There was no hope that a magnet would even stick to them.

I hope that he failed the FAA inspection. My best guess is that he never finished the project. I had graduated before he was done. I probably would have heard when he died, which he very much would have.

He also owned a rape van. Cargo, wall-to-wall shag carpet, plywood rape bed with a foam mattress. We tried to explain to him that it was straight up a rape van but he disagreed. He said it was his camper. He wasn't a creeper or anything. He was just hosed up in the head and couldn't understand. Again, lots of pain killers. He couldn't understand that if a cop saw it in a parking lot he'd be arrested on principle. He wasn't a bad guy, but drat he was bat poo poo insane. He used to spray Super 77 on the floor by your desk so your shoes would stick to the floor. If you didn't notice when you sat down, you'd need acetone to stand up. He also liked stealing candy from you. Especially if it was Skittles.

Again, lots of pain killers.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Hahaha, what the gently caress? That's a gosh darn story right there.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Mercury Ballistic posted:

thx mate adding this to Home Spergin / Home Zone

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

wesleywillis posted:

^^^
This statement isn't false.

However....... As one who does a considerable amount of residential work (geotechnical investigations), there are a poo poo load of very nice, very good, still structurally sound, old houses that just don't happen to be heritage/historic designated, that get torn down for new builds.

This happens all the time where I live and it's infuriating. Classic mid-century California houses getting knocked down for two story identical monstrosities.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica

That's bad

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

But it comes with a free frogurt!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

slo-blo backup fuse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This happens all the time where I live and it's infuriating. Classic mid-century California houses getting knocked down for two story identical monstrosities.

Yoooooo unless you live in a different California than I do, "classic mid-century California houses" isn't the loving pinnacle of construction you seem to think it is. As a transplant to California, I can confirm that as lovely and dumb as US housing is in general, California is worse. Ten loving times worse. Because guess what, in an environment that isn't rough on houses in the least, it turns out their builders will cut corners (literally) that would border on criminal in other states that have weather. California houses, ESPECIALLY the ones thrown up after the war, are little more than lovely wooden tents. Sheathing, proper insulation, guarding against water entry? Who gives a poo poo, it's never gonna rain, just throw that sucker up and move the gently caress on. The house I was living in a few years ago was in a development (built in the mid-50s) where it was well-known that the developer would put down the rebar for a house's slab pour, get it inspected and passed, then promptly move the rebar to the next house's foundation and pour the first house's slab. Cue every house in the neighborhood having huge settling and cracking issues because, y'know, there was no loving reinforcement in their slabs. (And I mean this settling happened while I was living in it after a whole bunch of rain in one El Nino year, it wasn't because of Loma Prieta 30 years ago).

Stick construction is stupid and dumb at the best of times, but California really takes it to the next level, and it's some cosmic joke poo poo that THESE houses are now the ones worth millions, when they were constructed out of twigs and tape and wouldn't last one loving winter in the Northeast, or through one hurricane in the Southeast, or one twister in the Midwest (to be fair, no US house would withstand a direct hit from a tornado). My house now was built in the 70s and the ONLY good thing that can be said about it is it's really easy to run wires through because there's just nothing there to block you. For fucks sake, the siding has vertical channels in it to add visual texture, and the builders just slapped trim boards over the siding around the windows and doors. Yes, that's right, so now there's vertical channels running down behind trim boards, right above windows, perfect for funneling water right down next to the window frame and having it sit there. Caulk? Whatever for? The house will burn down from the Federal Pacific breaker panel long before it has a chance to rot.

(Also, "classic" mid-century? What is with Californians' absurd idea that a 70 year old building is "classic" and needs preserving? Massachusetts has 200-year-old houses that don't qualify as historic because who cares, there's another five down the block, and the thread literally just talked about 600 year old houses in Germany).

Anyway I really hate California houses, if that wasn't clear.