Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

Revoke them and redistribute them. Eat the tyranny if you have to. If you can imprison him first he won't get a chance to fight back.

Abduct him and revoke all his titles while he's in jail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megane
Jun 20, 2008

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Can you not integrate over sea provinces? I’d like to make sardinia part of a Kingdom of Sicily and Sardinia but the option isn’t available. Destroyed the Corsica and Sardinia kingdom already.

Drift doesn't care about physical location. Stuff only drifts into your primary title for some reason, so duchies will never drift in if you're an emperor. That might be the problem.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Pope crusaded me, died halfway through, lost. I befriended the new pope. Two years later he sends a crusade on me. "My Dear Friend, your false religion has kept your subjects in the darkness for too long!"

Friendship ended with The Pope.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I wonder how much personal opinion (including friendship) actually affects wardec calculations

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I wonder how much personal opinion (including friendship) actually affects wardec calculations

I doubt it matters all that much for Great Holy Wars in particular, undirected GHWs seem to usually target those who hold holy sites of the GHW faith.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Man. My daughter mouthed off at me at a feast so I stabbed her in the face and then my sister in law saw me so I killed her too. Other than that the feast was fun, thanks for having me over.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

sullat posted:

Man. My daughter mouthed off at me at a feast so I stabbed her in the face and then my sister in law saw me so I killed her too. Other than that the feast was fun, thanks for having me over.

loving Thanksgiving man, I swear...

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

wizardofloneliness posted:

If you fabricate a claim on his counties you can revoke them without getting any tyranny. If you don't have a hook on him he might choose to rebel so just be ready for that.

Until vassals actually learn to upgrade their territory and become powerful on their own they won't be able to resist you beyond a certain point. So just instigate a rebellion yourself, crush it, imprison everyone, then remake the layout of your realm however the gently caress it pleases you. This is one of my favorite ways of handling lovely vassals who don't understand that their crappy, un-upgraded duchies/counties don't stand a chance against my professional army.

Vassals need to become stronger. I never need to really worry about pissing one of them off (beyond a certain point that is).

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Something that may be a bit unintended is that if you try to revoke a title (incurring tyranny) and they refuse+rebel, it doesn't seem to actually give you any tyranny.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Magil Zeal posted:

Something that may be a bit unintended is that if you try to revoke a title (incurring tyranny) and they refuse+rebel, it doesn't seem to actually give you any tyranny.

A game of chicken, provided you can survive the rebellion

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

PittTheElder posted:

I mean from a pure power perspective it isn't an issue at all. It's just kind of annoying that you can't come close to the tech progress you'd get from the 1066 start, or from your settled-start neighbors.

I consider it a rules and balance issue if the 867 start played until 1066 will never resemble the 1066 start. Maybe not in terms of polities due to butterfly effects or whatever, but innovations are culture based, and those are mostly static.

I do think it's weird that tech progress is associated as a cultural thing. I can be a Pict, take over an Anglo-Saxon town and convert culture and suddenly I have a vast understanding of technology that I didn't before? It's kind of weird.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

megane posted:

Drift doesn't care about physical location. Stuff only drifts into your primary title for some reason, so duchies will never drift in if you're an emperor. That might be the problem.

I’m the king of Sicily/Trinacrina

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Trevor Hale posted:

A game of chicken, provided you can survive the rebellion

The good news is that the preview now shows you exactly who will join the vassal in rebellion, so I find it pretty simple to gauge whether or not it's just "the vassal and maybe one or two other unruly friends" or "three-fourths of my empire". I don't remember that in CK2.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
My oldest, honest, humble, yet cynical sister turned out to be a serial murderer who started killing my other sisters.
So I locked her up and tortured her into insanity.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Is there some limit on how long people can be jailed or in house arrest? I put my son's daughter to house arrest a while ago.. her attitude and bad ways don't seem to be improving so I've kept her locked up.

Does it really matter at all what I do with people after they get jailed? Or are they poo poo out of luck..

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 27, 2020

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I believe you can have infinite people in jail. They stay there until they die, but putting them in house arrest and regular jail they can escape through plots and chance and such.
Use them to get hooks via torture and money from ransoms.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

North korea style imprison everyone is a definite strategy

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Glass of Milk posted:

I do think it's weird that tech progress is associated as a cultural thing. I can be a Pict, take over an Anglo-Saxon town and convert culture and suddenly I have a vast understanding of technology that I didn't before? It's kind of weird.

Yeah similarly if you play say, Rurik, you have these nice Viking longships to carry you around the Russian rivers, and let you go Varyag it up in Thrace and Mazandaran and such. But if you ever actually adopt Russian culture you completely forget how to do this (until you spread Russian culture into 11 Finnish provinces, then you can learn it again!)

It's an interesting idea in that it allows regional variation, and I can't really think of a better idea off the top of my head, but it has a few issues.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

Glass of Milk posted:

A Viking who cannot write or read goes to England. He kills the king, marries his daughter, and beats a bunch of priests up. He wants the taxes collected and some nice clothes, he gets them. As long as he isnt depopulating the entire countryside its exactly what happened when the Goths invaded Italy in the 4-5th centuries.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Gaj posted:

A Viking who cannot write or read goes to England. He kills the king, marries his daughter, and beats a bunch of priests up. He wants the taxes collected and some nice clothes, he gets them. As long as he isnt depopulating the entire countryside its exactly what happened when the Goths invaded Italy in the 4-5th centuries.

Well this is a whole :can: but that is 1000% not what happened when the Goths went to Italy.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Ostrogoths? Whatever the guys that came in and stayed there after 450 kept the bureaucracy and governing system. Latin wasnt the lingua franca, but it still existed. Aqueducts collapsed, but the arch and vaulted ceilings stayed. No one comes in an completely eradicates the native culture, even though we tried super hard in America.

Or I dont know how the initial Arab conquests of the Byzantines didnt burn up and destroy all the Greek treaties on math and medicine. The system in game is fine, although losing inventions when changing cultures is dumb.

Gaj fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Sep 27, 2020

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

I’ve reached emperor level, which all of my vassals being dukes + 1 earl cuz I had to shed a holding.

I...don’t know what to do when an earl commits a crime and I can in prison him. I can’t yank the title because I’m not the liege. If I kill them, suddenly I’m a tyrant. What’s the point in me arresting them in the first place?

Caveat: if they’ve done something to my family, I start a murder plot. I kill kinslayers

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?

Trevor Hale posted:

I’ve reached emperor level, which all of my vassals being dukes + 1 earl cuz I had to shed a holding.

I...don’t know what to do when an earl commits a crime and I can in prison him. I can’t yank the title because I’m not the liege. If I kill them, suddenly I’m a tyrant. What’s the point in me arresting them in the first place?

Caveat: if they’ve done something to my family, I start a murder plot. I kill kinslayers

You could always just leave them to rot in there.

They can't harm you if they're in jail.

But you can harm them.

:)

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

The amount of mercs the Pope can hire is prettttty loving ridiculous. I'm in a great holy war against the pope's kingdom (its about half of italy, granted) and they have 20k levies but 40k in mercenaries. This is on top of the HRE also being involved with their own mercs and levies. It has been going on for almost 20 years now. I cannot make much of a dent in them, battles-wise, because they have a blob of anywhere between 90k - 150k sitting in italy waiting for someone to land. AI doesn't seem nearly as affected by starvation, either. Half of their armies have skulls.

edit: lol now Rome is counter-crusading me

Sankis fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 27, 2020

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Okay so lets say I've seized all of Ireland and formed my kingdom. Now what?

Getting any sort of claims on other territory is so difficult and I still haven't figured out how to avoid the inevitable partition (which none of my neighbours across the pond over in Danelaw country seem to suffer from). Last time I foolishly picked a religion stress event which led to everyone declaring holy war on me just 18 months later.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 27, 2020

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

PittTheElder posted:

It's an interesting idea in that it allows regional variation, and I can't really think of a better idea off the top of my head, but it has a few issues.

I really think they should just transfer the religion system wholesale onto culture. Have 3 tenents relating to mainly cultural practices (I.e river travelling for the Norse, castration and blinding for the Greeks, ect.) and allow the player to kick-start their own cultural shifts and melting pots, reducing the cost for tenents based on how many provinces with the same tenant you own.

It'd allow for the game to represent cultural changes based on what occurs in the game as opposed to only having events for cultural changes the conditions for which are rarely produced.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

MiddleOne posted:

Okay so lets say I've seized all of Ireland and formed my kingdom. Now what?

Getting any sort of claims on other territory is so difficult and I still haven't figured out how to avoid the inevitable partition (which none of my neighbours across the pond over in Danelaw country seem to suffer from). Last time I foolishly picked a religion stress event which led to everyone declaring holy war on me just 18 months later.

OK, so generally once you've formed a kingdom partition should become less of a problem for a while; the duchies will split out when you die, but all should remain your vassals. Once you're at the point where you can create new kingdoms, you need to start worrying again. As Ireland you can use Tanistry Elective though, which lets you hopefully keep your multiple kingdoms together (as long as your vassals agree collectively)--you can implement that for Ireland on the decision screen for free I think, but for other kingdoms you need to add a succession law to the title, which you can do by clicking on the title itself on your character's list and going to "add laws". On the topic of internal partition, generally as a King you shouldn't be holding more than two duchies anyway, and since you'll be looking to take the Isles as a whole (probably), I'd recommend not worrying about losing your second duchy on every succession, because you should be focusing on getting a new duchy to replace it.

You can still do county fabrications, if you're going down that route, look to focus on a single duchy at a time, and then once you have over 50% of the provinces you can usurp that duchy and start using the duchy de jure CB to grab the remaining provinces while you fabricate on a different neighbour. What you're probably looking to do here is work on a rotation, fabricate a claim on a county in Scotland, and while at war be fabricating in England. Once you have a truce with Scotland do war with England and start fabricating on Scotland again. If there's any independent rulers, take those too as a priority.

In the meantime, keep an eye out for guests who have claims on counties/duchies in Britannia, and unmarried claimants to duchies whom you might be able to draw over to your court with a good marriage. If you press their claims, they'll become your vassals. Bear in mind that you cannot press the claims of women as a general rule (to get the exact rules, look at the tooltip for "male dominated" under your religion's doctrines), which might mean needing to get the woman to have a son and die first.

You can also do the risky religion gambit, convert to another religion that will let you holy war, and holy war for all of England. If you can win that you're super close to forming Britannia, and you can take whole duchies at a time from Scotland and Wales with holy war, plus holy wars against you from the other British realms should now be easy to crush. Problem is you do also risk a crusade, so you might want to convert back to Catholic or Insular once the war is over to avoid that. And if you can't actually beat England then it's probably not going to be a super successful time for you.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

At war with a superior foe, I sneak by his armies and siege down his capitol, taking his heir hostage while my murder plot against him ticks down. After I kill him, his heir is freed! That's infuriating.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Sankis posted:

The amount of mercs the Pope can hire is prettttty loving ridiculous. I'm in a great holy war against the pope's kingdom (its about half of italy, granted) and they have 20k levies but 40k in mercenaries. This is on top of the HRE also being involved with their own mercs and levies. It has been going on for almost 20 years now. I cannot make much of a dent in them, battles-wise, because they have a blob of anywhere between 90k - 150k sitting in italy waiting for someone to land. AI doesn't seem nearly as affected by starvation, either. Half of their armies have skulls.

edit: lol now Rome is counter-crusading me

Get an elite squad of siege units that can take down the capital super fast and have them waiting in boats. Meanwhile have another army someplace else to lure away the doomstack. Sack Rome, retreat to boats (or stand down your maa if the enemy army is far enough away since you can re-summon them instantly and refresh their supplies)

If you capture the Pope, congrats you've won the war. If not they'll retake Rome soon enough. Rinse and repeat.

Granted, I don't know if the game actually lets you keep rolling the dice on king captures that way.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

We captured the pope repeatedly and it didn't do much of anything. I'm not actually sure why.

We did end up winning, though it took like 40 years. I've been ruling the Empire of Jerusalem (which is basically the 'Outremer' empire, just my own custom religion) for hundreds of years at this point and It's almost 1400. Playing as an emperor is really tedious. I wish I could tell the game that I don't care who is loving who unless its my wife or son or something. There's soooooooooooo many pop ups about people I couldn't give less of a poo poo about.

CK3 is really improved over CK2 in a lot of ways but I think I've burnt myself out. I think I'm done with the game until it gets some DLC.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 27, 2020

swampcow
Jul 4, 2011

For the peeps who are getting burned out by the main game, theres a vampire mod i heard about that might be interesting to play.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I conquered england and scotland as ireland and created the empire title, but on succession I ended up having to cede the kingdom of scotland to some chucklefuck, who is now king of scotland but still my vassal because I'm the emperor. The question is: how can I get the king of scotland title back? I can claim it, and that pisses off the current holder a lot, but there's nothing I can do to assert it. I can't revoke it, because it says it'll leave him with titles and no land even though he has a bunch of counties, and I can't go to war with him either. Do I have to troll him into revolting?

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Just finished a game and out of the 14 characters I played as, 12 of them died from obesity.

Seems like that needs to be toned down a bit.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

if you imprison someone you can give them a duchy title and grant him all your vassals and then just strip all his titles. as you take titles from him the game starts to give him titles from his own vassals.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
This game is brutal. My wife has allergies and I had to give my cat away :(

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

shut up blegum posted:

this happened to me right after my cat killed my dog

e: it seems like inherited traits are kind of broken. I got a genius king early on and it seems like the trait passes to every child close to 100% of the time, even before investing dynasty points, and now my dynasty is overflowing with beautiful hale geniuses

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 27, 2020

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018

shut up blegum posted:

At no point did you "have" to give your cat away. I always tell them no, the opinion malus is negligable.

Besides it is easier to get a new wife than a new cat in this game.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Sankis posted:

We captured the pope repeatedly and it didn't do much of anything. I'm not actually sure why.

Crusades are an exception to the mechanic that "capturing the enemy war leader wins the war" so that actually wouldn't work.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

ElectronicOldMen posted:

At no point did you "have" to give your cat away. I always tell them no, the opinion malus is negligable.

Besides it is easier to get a new wife than a new cat in this game.

I'm a loving husband :colbert:
But no, I inherited everything when I was one and juuuuust managed to hold on until adulthood. So now I want to get a heir asap, best not to anger my Amazonian wife either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Dallan Invictus posted:

Crusades are an exception to the mechanic that "capturing the enemy war leader wins the war" so that actually wouldn't work.

I feel like it should be worth at least some warscore though.