Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
So it being Arizona, the seeds outside will probably need to be kept wetter than your days will allow to sprout right now. I imagine it is wet enough and cool enough for a time in the spring, so cover the seeds with some dirt at that time and put some netting over it to keep the birds away. Direct sowing wild flowers works great if it’s the right time of year for them.

Inside it sounds like the first round of things went great until they started needing to be actually watered well enough to grow, and then they may have gotten dehydrated and died. Try watering from the bottom of the tray, and water them consistently. When I started growing from seed, I frequently under watered things and then if they did grow they were stunted and weak. If the soil wasn’t deep enough they’d be root bound and that takes a long enough time where you can just water them and pot them up into something bigger to make them happy.

Similarly, doing it in a bucket is probably fine, but water once at the beginning and then just cover the top of the soil so the moisture stays inside. You’ll need a good amount of water then, but by covering it until you have sprouts you won’t need to worry about it all evaporating away constantly. Plastic wrap works fine, but so does a bucket lid. Anything to keep most of the humidity inside without literally baking it should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So if I tried the bucket method again, sprinkle the seeds all over, wet them down really good, then cover with plastic wrap? And don't water again or mist down for how long?

Sprue
Feb 21, 2006

please send nudes :shittydog:
:petdog:
wouldn't eating tomato leaf that the horn worm is packed w make you kinda sick? all I know is that even chickens won't eat hornworms, and they'll eat anything. figured it was cuz they collect the noxious substances of tomato plants

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
There are quite a few members of the family, including black nightshade, whose leaves people eat and cook.

Tomato is probably the same.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Sep 25, 2020

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

1 courgette plant in a square foot square they said

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

I'd want at least 4 square feet. Double check that you're not getting powdery mildew on that heifer too.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
Isn't there some right there in the middle, or is that just dappled sunlight?

I planted, like, ten zucchini and got really only one good one before everything started getting fucky. Very disappointed.

And, yes, many of the plants had vine borers. They're all still alive somehow, but nothing useful is gonna come from any of them at this point.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

So if I tried the bucket method again, sprinkle the seeds all over, wet them down really good, then cover with plastic wrap? And don't water again or mist down for how long?

Until the top of the soil is dried out, which may not even happen. While they’re seeds, giving consistent moisture and heat will help them germinate. Once they’ve sprouted and are pushing up you can remove the cover so they grow up towards the light. You’ll need to give them regular water when you remove it because it’ll be evaporating and the little plants need the water near the surface still for a little while. Once they’re reaching with roots you can water deeper. Misting isn’t going to be enough water for them, so make sure to add enough to the soil where it stays steadily damp below the surface.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Rock wool is a great way to start seedlings, it sucks up water and provides plenty of air too. You can plant it in the garden just be sure to pull the plug out (basically you remove the plant when it dies) since it's inorganic and can build up in your bed over time. I don't think it hurts anything but it's a good idea to be proactive about

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

GANDHITRON posted:

I planted, like, ten zucchini and got really only one good one before everything started getting fucky. Very disappointed.

And, yes, many of the plants had vine borers. They're all still alive somehow, but nothing useful is gonna come from any of them at this point.

It's always boom and bust for me with any squash. My old garden always got squash beetles no matter what. This year they drowned in a month and a half long period of rain after a good start.

I grew some mystery Japanese squash two years ago that I didn't know was going to run and it basically ground the rest of the squash patch into the dirt.

I love me some squash but I'm not so good at growing them.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone know what this mysterious white goo that mysteriously appeared on my sage plant today is?

Also some brown spots that almost look like aphids but not quite

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

kumba posted:

Anyone know what this mysterious white goo that mysteriously appeared on my sage plant today is?

Also some brown spots that almost look like aphids but not quite

Look up "spittlebug" and see if the brown spots are insects look like the nymph stage.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

mischief posted:

I'd want at least 4 square feet. Double check that you're not getting powdery mildew on that heifer too.

Yeah, next year they are banned from our little raised bed - i'll put some in a border somewhere. The courgette is the only thing still really producing so I am letting it run wild before I pull it out after frost in about 4 weeks.

GANDHITRON posted:

There are some beetroot underneath it, a brocolli next to it and a lettuce up front. If the courgette hadn't hosed them up, the giant cabbage that took up a tonne of space before hand would have done.

Good fun though, I am learning things (perhaps?)

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry
I will never learn anything. I can't wait to repeat the exact same mistakes next year, whatever they were.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

poeticoddity posted:

Look up "spittlebug" and see if the brown spots are insects look like the nymph stage.

Definitely looks like spittlebug or something related

They just make a bunch of that protective goo to protect themselves from predators as they develop. Similar to tent caterpillars

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Jhet posted:

Until the top of the soil is dried out, which may not even happen. While they’re seeds, giving consistent moisture and heat will help them germinate. Once they’ve sprouted and are pushing up you can remove the cover so they grow up towards the light. You’ll need to give them regular water when you remove it because it’ll be evaporating and the little plants need the water near the surface still for a little while. Once they’re reaching with roots you can water deeper. Misting isn’t going to be enough water for them, so make sure to add enough to the soil where it stays steadily damp below the surface.

Gotcha. Trying again!

Also picked up a small texas sage bush to try outside. Dug hole, watered area, threw in potting soil per the Lowes' employee's advice, planted, and running a soaker hose on the area on and off.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Cowslips Warren posted:

Gotcha. Trying again!

Also picked up a small texas sage bush to try outside. Dug hole, watered area, threw in potting soil per the Lowes' employee's advice, planted, and running a soaker hose on the area on and off.

The soaker hose is a great move. You want to water transplants deeply so they can build their root systems. The potting soil will help keep moisture too, so that’s a good move. You’ll have more issues from too little water in AZ just from climate, so you’ll need to find your balance while seeds and plants are getting settled.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Just sent this proposed layout to the landscapers.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
The espalier adventure continues. We found a pre-grown apple tree with four varieties as four branches for $300 today. I did originally want to grow it up myself, but I never know how long I'm going to stay at one location so it's a bit of a conundrum. I have the money, and if we did it then we'd have apples next year. But then I wasn't the one to grow it and there's a certain pride in building something up.

If I'm at this house less than 4 years then yes, it's amazing to buy the pre-grown one, but if I end up being here for 10 years then I'll be a little upset that I didn't grow it myself.

The place that had this tree didn't have any pear trees that I was interested in, unfortunately.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Just sent this proposed layout to the landscapers.

What's the second (little) fence for?

Also the ~15 by 30 foot gravel patch next to the house seems like a lot unless you have a particular plan for it—you could fit in a nice little shade garden there or something.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 27, 2020

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Hey JB, are you planning doing any sort rainwater collection from the workshop roof?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Earth posted:

The espalier adventure continues. We found a pre-grown apple tree with four varieties as four branches for $300 today. I did originally want to grow it up myself, but I never know how long I'm going to stay at one location so it's a bit of a conundrum. I have the money, and if we did it then we'd have apples next year. But then I wasn't the one to grow it and there's a certain pride in building something up.

If I'm at this house less than 4 years then yes, it's amazing to buy the pre-grown one, but if I end up being here for 10 years then I'll be a little upset that I didn't grow it myself.

The place that had this tree didn't have any pear trees that I was interested in, unfortunately.

get the pre-grown one, and then take your first apple from it and start another tree.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Advice from bonsai-world (and also houseplant world):

If you want a big, mature tree to get (aesthetic/fruit-based) value out of in relatively short order, and one that will have the constitution and stability to survive the often topsy-turvy world of moving/replanting/repotting/noob mistakes/sub-optimal living environment/etc, then start with a big(ger), (more) mature tree and go from there.

Or, to quote a YouTube video on monstera I saw the other day: “you wanna grow a giant, start with a giant.”

Not only will you spend literally years doting on your sapling to get it to maturity, but you’ll also have years-worth of opportunities to kill it, stunt its growth, or otherwise gently caress up its establishment process.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 28, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Earth posted:

Wait till January and get one bare root. You can pay literally a tenth what you’re looking at, and a bare root tree planted and well cared-for can, in the long run, surpass a tree that came from a pot.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I was at my old house digging some poo poo out of the back yard and harvesting a few late season potatoes and things. At the back of the lot is a row of blackcurrant - not my favourite - which I was working around. I let them grow for a few years and hacked them back a few times, wishing they were strawberries. Anyway, I glance over at this blackcurrant row and I see a few leaves that are slightly large and oddly coloured - there's a loving grape vine in there! I lived in that house and gardened in that yard for 5 years and had no idea that I had a vine! We had been trying to find some vines to plant at the new house with no luck, and we had resorted to trying to propagate from clippings (nothing has rooted yet) so this is just serendipitous.

So it took me about 45 minutes to disentangle this vine from the blackcurrants, and then another 15 or so to get the root ball out without doing too much damage, but I've done the transplant and now I hopefully will have grapes growing at my new place.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Wallet posted:

What's the second (little) fence for?

Keep the dogs out of the habitat-y parts. And generally for some separation.

Wallet posted:

Also the ~15 by 30 foot gravel patch next to the house seems like a lot unless you have a particular plan for it—you could fit in a nice little shade garden there or something.

That area tends to get a lot of traffic, but not ruling anything out yet.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Hey JB, are you planning doing any sort rainwater collection from the workshop roof?

Sorry I meant to reply to this but didn't!

I hadn't considered it, I'm going to be running a waste line up there anyway so I was assuming I'd just run it off like the rest, but there's nothing stopping me putting a butt in there (lol) and plenty of space to do so thanks to the planning requirements of 2m to any boundary.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
My strawberry plants have started fruiting again, what the heck

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Jaded Burnout posted:

Sorry I meant to reply to this but didn't!

I hadn't considered it, I'm going to be running a waste line up there anyway so I was assuming I'd just run it off like the rest, but there's nothing stopping me putting a butt in there (lol) and plenty of space to do so thanks to the planning requirements of 2m to any boundary.
Oh no worries, I was just curious. Here in Belgium we've covered so much of the place in concrete that heavy showers cause flash floods because it all directs the rainwater to the waste pipes and they can't take it. And where it does work, massive amounts of water just flow out to rivers instead of soaking into the ground, so we now have yearly bitching about low ground water reserves, where most of our tap water comes from. So encouraging people to do their own water collection for the garden is what some are pushing for. I just didn't have a clue whether this was an issue in the UK at all.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Sichuan peppercorn season is officially over in my yard. Behold the massive peppercorn harvest, in a pint delitainer:

Still full of seeds and stems. When peppercorns start to come ripe, they split open and the drupe--the hard black bit on the inside, which you don't eat--falls out. Which is convenient, because otherwise it's kinda a pain to sort them. But when this happens the pericarp--the reddish bit that's kinda like a citrus peel--also comes off the stem if the plant is even brushed. Which is very inconvenient. So at the point where more than one or two peppercorns are starting to split I harvest the lot to minimise the number that get lost on the ground. I think commercially farms leave them on the plant and harvest when the majority have lost their drupes because picking them out is a huge labour sink.

Left on the counter in a delitainer like this in a week or so the rest of them will have split and I'll sort them by hand and remove any bits of stem that haven't come off on their own.

Harvesting Sichuan peppercorns smells amazing.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

SubG posted:

When peppercorns start to come ripe, they split open and the drupe--the hard black bit on the inside, which you don't eat--falls out. Which is convenient, because otherwise it's kinda a pain to sort them. But when this happens the pericarp--the reddish bit that's kinda like a citrus peel--also comes off the stem if the plant is even brushed. Which is very inconvenient.

Could you put some canvas down underneath the plant when the season is right, to catch them?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

showbiz_liz posted:

Could you put some canvas down underneath the plant when the season is right, to catch them?
That seems like it would work in general, although my wee peppercorn plant has a bunch of poo poo underfoot (specifically some Okinawan sweet potatoes that have been self-propagating for a few years) and it's along a fence line that's kinda an animal run, so I don't know how well it would work for my specific plant.

And it's also still small enough that the entire harvest fits in a 16 oz. delitainer with room to spare, so hand sorting everything isn't exactly a lot of work.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

SubG posted:

Harvesting Sichuan peppercorns smells amazing.

Please bottle that smell and send to me post haste. That looks amazing even if it’s still an underwhelming quantity.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Oh no worries, I was just curious. Here in Belgium we've covered so much of the place in concrete that heavy showers cause flash floods because it all directs the rainwater to the waste pipes and they can't take it. And where it does work, massive amounts of water just flow out to rivers instead of soaking into the ground, so we now have yearly bitching about low ground water reserves, where most of our tap water comes from. So encouraging people to do their own water collection for the garden is what some are pushing for. I just didn't have a clue whether this was an issue in the UK at all.

Fortunately we're such a rainy nation that the pipes were at least built to accommodate that.

It's fairly common in gardeners' gardens to have water butts, about as common as you'd see a compost bin, that is to say Regular Dave won't have one but Gardening Gary probably will.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

Platystemon posted:

Wait till January and get one bare root. You can pay literally a tenth what you’re looking at, and a bare root tree planted and well cared-for can, in the long run, surpass a tree that came from a pot.

I do not think you understand why I paid $300 for a small tree. This is a multi year old tree that has been shaped and has three other varieties of apples on the trunk. You are correct that I can buy a bare root apple tree for $30, but the issue is then I have to graft the other breeds of apples onto the tree and shape it over the years into an espalier tree. I took a multiyear shortcut for $300.

Also, I do not have the space for a full tree on my property. I want the restricted growth.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Guess I’m starting this poo poo back up again. I’m trying to figure out a more permanent arrangement of beds within the beds, but for now this is what I’m working with.

I’m planning on lettuces and greens mostly. Bok choy, kale, mustard greens, beets, carrots, and chard. Maybe some broccoli and cauliflower but it might be too late to plant them? Ive never grown either before. I might try some onions too? I’d like to try a semi-permanent border of chives around part of it.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Just chiming in to say I love everything about front yard gardens.

Bok choy really likes a sandy/loose soil so it's tricky. Greens are a really underrated homegrown veg. Keep at it, it's awesome!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Earth posted:

I do not think you understand why I paid $300 for a small tree. This is a multi year old tree that has been shaped and has three other varieties of apples on the trunk. You are correct that I can buy a bare root apple tree for $30, but the issue is then I have to graft the other breeds of apples onto the tree and shape it over the years into an espalier tree. I took a multiyear shortcut for $300.

Also, I do not have the space for a full tree on my property. I want the restricted growth.

No, I mean, are nurseries that grow a stick, bud graft six varieties onto it, give them a year to form branches, then yank it out of the ground and ship it.

Maybe they don’t ship them to your area, or maybe you got a particularly magnificent specimen, but I wanted to put it out there as an option.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

mischief posted:

Just chiming in to say I love everything about front yard gardens.

Bok choy really likes a sandy/loose soil so it's tricky. Greens are a really underrated homegrown veg. Keep at it, it's awesome!
Well that’s good because I have very sandy soil. I’m trying to work towards a no-till/no-dig kind of garden, but I did work those beds up a bit. It was pretty amazing to see how much the soil texture had improved in the 6 months since I dug the garden-much cakier and less sandy. Still a long way to go and it needs a lot more organic matter for sure.

I’ve thought about trying a huge batch of compost with straw and cottonseed meal or something, but I’m scared of weed seeds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Platystemon posted:

No, I mean, are nurseries that grow a stick, bud graft six varieties onto it, give them a year to form branches, then yank it out of the ground and ship it.

Maybe they don’t ship them to your area, or maybe you got a particularly magnificent specimen, but I wanted to put it out there as an option.

I have a couple of these but I wanna see the special $300 one :eyepop: I'm picturing cool knots.. maybe a little elf door, spirits established and included kind of thing.