Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Szmitten posted:

In the last decade and a half I've sorta observed that most first time watchers are recommended to watch the series with the directors cut episodes only, and to jump straight to EoE after 26, and I believe this is also what Netflix basically does. I've found that this has sorta hosed people's understanding and warped the impression of the production with odd little quirks like 24DC's next episode preview being an animatic for Air instead of 25TV, leading people to literally believe that the episode was re-written within a week, among other misconceptions.

I'm not suggesting everyone should watch the on-air 1-26, 21-24 DCs, one of the three Deaths, the laserdisc/blu-ray version of Rebirth, then EoE; but I wish there was a more concise way for people to get it all cleanly without having to go all in.

That indeed seems to be the case and is one of the reasons why I asked for advice. Netflix is constantly shoving EoE in my face telling me to watch it. Despite not having finished the series yet. (ep24 was quite wtf plot)
If I hadn't seen the two movies side b side when Netflix first launched Evangelion on their service, I wouldn't have known at all at this point. Because they basically bury it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Rewatching episodes 25 and 26 it struck me how much those episodes just straight up tell you all of the themes of the series.

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Rewatching episodes 25 and 26 it struck me how much those episodes just straight up tell you all of the themes of the series.

it's wild, but so many people go to that point in the series without actually getting it until it was spoon-fed to them.

On a different note, I got the tamogotchi (evatchi?) like a weeb shithead and it turns out it's not just Angels that hatch- I hatched a unit 01!

GET IN THE loving EGG, SHINJI.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I just watched the show on Netflix then eoe and it seemed fine to me? The last two episodes are jarring at first but once you realise what’s happening it’s really cool imo. For the first half of eoe I had liked it but wasn’t sure we needed to see it but ended up being blown away by it

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

the escape goat posted:

it's wild, but so many people go to that point in the series without actually getting it until it was spoon-fed to them.
I mean plenty of people also don't get it after watching them

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Fans have been arguing over what "it" is since '96.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Misato says what the show is about in episode 2 or 3

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
What the show is changed several times over production. Let it be what it is to you and don't be pedantic about what it is to others.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Get ready for blasphemy:

the show definitely sets the table for some blasphemy

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I simply do not respect people who google “evangelion explained!” Vids on YouTube 😔

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Eva is whatever you make of it

Then you find others like you, laugh at those that aren't, and voila, a fandom is born

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I always thought Evangelion was about the friends we made along the way.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Corte posted:

I always thought Evangelion was about the friends we made along the way.

It’s actually about learning to cope with the truth that we can’t help but hurt the people we want to make friends with along the way, op

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Actually, it’s about I know I let you down, I’ve been a fool to myself, I thought that I could live for no one else.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Evangelion is about Anno hating German people

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Evangelion is about being gay for moon hunks and being an egg.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Evangelion is about suspiciously vaginal playground swings

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
the Rosetta Stone to understanding Evangelion for an American audience is that Misato is right in the middle of the Millennial demographic, is literally indispensable to the survival of the human race, and she's a lovely alcoholic who lives in a tiny apartment and drives a 15-year-old car

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Fuyutsuki is Bernie Sanders but unfortunately for him the entire story is told from the perspective of a bunch of Zoomer kids who see all three prior generations as equally incomprehensible and equally responsible for bequeathing them the apocalypse

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the Rosetta Stone to understanding Evangelion for an American audience is that Misato is right in the middle of the Millennial demographic, is literally indispensable to the survival of the human race, and she's a lovely alcoholic who lives in a tiny apartment and drives a 15-year-old car

Considering that she was living alone at the start of the series, it's actually a pretty huge apartment by Japanese standards. Her cars are fantastic too.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Also she's like the only person in her building right

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

She is a war criminal as is everyone at NERV/SEEL

Even the kids

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

T-man posted:

She is a war criminal as is everyone at NERV/SEEL

Even the kids

Honest question: why

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SHISHKABOB posted:

Maybe for using what amounts to child soldiers but I am not sure that applies to the kids themselves.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

SHISHKABOB posted:

That whole thing where they caused the second impact and are attempting to cause the third is kind of a big thing. Their laissez-faire approach to human/alien experimentation isn't quite on the level, either.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 28, 2020

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Pretty good posted:

Also she's like the only person in her building right

How could you forget Pen2? :/

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Remember when one of the main characters hacked the giant nuke robot and sent her BFF to cook in it. Or all the people that die in angel flights (for one example most navy boats are not designed for giant robot parkour and at least one seaman isn't going home thanks to Asuka showboating.)

To say nothing of the nonconsentual tangification.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought Tokyo-3 was supposed to have been pretty bustling but after Sachiel attacked 90%+ of the civilian population got the gently caress up to Nagano or something rather than get murdered by a monster.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

https://twitter.com/newyorkerevabot/status/1310468236010553344?s=21

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hit em again is good.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
What the hell was ep25?
They spell out the character themes completely redundantly, because anyone who has managed to get to this point should know them.
It’s a weird not quite clip show thing that still makes me feel like I watched a summary and then nearly at the end it’s like “oh, while you were being told about the characters the plot has already happened.”
:psyduck:

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yes it’s why a lot of people hated the original ending.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Think about it more like the characters are being told what you know about them. But try and empathize with how it would feel to be told exactly who you are by some kind of weird omniscient consciousness that is also yourself.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Think about it more like the characters are being told what you know about them. But try and empathize with how it would feel to be told exactly who you are by some kind of weird omniscient consciousness that is also yourself.

I think this is an underrated part of why the ending captures people even if it may be negatively. The idea of someone who is neither Self nor Other, that is and isn't you, just existing. Psychedelic horror at its best. Like if your hand started talking to you in your own voice, and chided you for not typing with good posture.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
evangelion and kare kano are about being a sadlad until you get a hot wife

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

SHISHKABOB posted:

T-man posted:

I think this is an underrated part of why the ending captures people even if it may be negatively. The idea of someone who is neither Self nor Other, that is and isn't you, just existing. Psychedelic horror at its best. Like if your hand started talking to you in your own voice, and chided you for not typing with good posture.

It is definitely psychedelic. I do love the way they frame and film it. It leaves you feeling uncomfortable.

It's just really jarring when ep24 seemed to indicate the story was going places. So to then suddenly be thrown into a non quite clip show and be told at the end it's because the story did indeed continue is...weird.

edit: Watched episode 26 just now. I was prepared to not like it, but I..liked it. It's all very confusing and makes it feel like everything up to here was just Shinji dealing with his demons and the Eva's and poo poo was just his mind playing tricks on him. But it's interesting and provides a good conclusion for Shinji. Not really for the story, but for him it was nice.
Looking forward to the two movies.

Darth TNT fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 29, 2020

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Relin posted:

evangelion and kare kano are about being a sadlad until you get a hot wife

Ok but does it have an instruction manual for what to do when your wife fuses with an eldritch giant. Or does that manual already exist and its the show we watched.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Please follow drilanime on tumblr. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

It is definitely psychedelic. I do love the way they frame and film it. It leaves you feeling uncomfortable.

It's just really jarring when ep24 seemed to indicate the story was going places. So to then suddenly be thrown into a non quite clip show and be told at the end it's because the story did indeed continue is...weird.

edit: Watched episode 26 just now. I was prepared to not like it, but I..liked it. It's all very confusing and makes it feel like everything up to here was just Shinji dealing with his demons and the Eva's and poo poo was just his mind playing tricks on him. But it's interesting and provides a good conclusion for Shinji. Not really for the story, but for him it was nice.
Looking forward to the two movies.

Congratulations!