Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I guess i disagree, I think they might be the most boring power set in the series.

I guess Gohan might be more boring? At least Tien has the tri beam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

projecthalaxy posted:

One hundred arms. Call him a heca-Tien-chieres

According to one of the dubs, Infinite Hands (Killin) already has him beat on this.

Half of Dracula
Oct 24, 2008

Perhaps the same could be
Have Tien fight some weird creature who uses clones or multi-arms and have Tien smugly note that those techniques suck and beat him some other way. Just give him three minutes of not being a waste of space. Jiren can blow him up after, it's whatever

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Tien should become power creeped Yamaha

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

CharlestheHammer posted:

I guess i disagree, I think they might be the most boring power set in the series.

I guess Gohan might be more boring? At least Tien has the tri beam

Most of the powers that characters have are auras that make them hit harder. Having something that isn't that means Tien has one of the most interesting power sets in the series.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

Most of the powers that characters have are auras that make them hit harder. Having something that isn't that means Tien has one of the most interesting power sets in the series.

I mean multiple arms just means he can punch faster I guess?

I’m not sure what you think it does that makes it interesting.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean multiple arms just means he can punch faster I guess?

I’m not sure what you think it does that makes it interesting.

He can hold more things, punch in different directions; one common thing four-armed characters do in fights is hold someone with two arms and punch with the other two. The clones mean he could theoretically fight upwards of four people at the same time.

Again, one of the big things that makes these things interesting is it's something different.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

He can hold more things, punch in different directions; one common thing four-armed characters do in fights is hold someone with two arms and punch with the other two. The clones mean he could theoretically fight upwards of four people at the same time.

Again, one of the big things that makes these things interesting is it's something different.

Ok that’s kind of dumb and works with my idea of just making Tien Yamaha so now I’m in.

Just endless grappling

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Remember in Toppo's first fight during the exhibition matches when his fighting style was entirely based around awesome holds and other grappling stuff and he nearly broke Goku's spine, and then for every subsequent fight involving Toppo he never used a grapple ever again?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

TheHan posted:

Roshi didn't fight in the tag match Tien had!

Every time I see this, I'm reminded of that Plague of Gripes video about "Toriyama Handjobs".

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I still wonder when master tactician Piccolo is going to think of a move that doesn't require him to stand prone for minutes on end

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Every time I see this, I'm reminded of that Plague of Gripes video about "Toriyama Handjobs".

Was Tien getting the handjob or the Akira Hatefuck?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I still wonder when master tactician Piccolo is going to think of a move that doesn't require him to stand prone for minutes on end

It's a power move.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
I think TFS hit upon a good characterization of Tien: make him the straight man who's a little bitter about how little he can do to close the power gap between him and all the non-human characters. Hell, I think there's even a side mission in DBZ: Kakarot that touches on that, so it isn't like it's out of left field if they started playing that up more

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheHan posted:

Was Tien getting the handjob or the Akira Hatefuck?

Plague describe the Toriyama Handjob as a free power-up that makes someone immediately plot relevant again, so Gohan was getting the handjob in this case. I suppose Tien was getting the latter.

The video is here, for reference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42HNvl0e26I

Shinji2015 posted:

I think TFS hit upon a good characterization of Tien: make him the straight man who's a little bitter about how little he can do to close the power gap between him and all the non-human characters. Hell, I think there's even a side mission in DBZ: Kakarot that touches on that, so it isn't like it's out of left field if they started playing that up more

I mean, the guy has spent his whole life training and is now just being overshadowed by people with genetic power-ups, magic bullshit, or other things along those lines that just completely invalidate his entire life. It'd be weird if he wasn't bitter.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh Tien has kinda been eating poo poo to some degree ever since stubby fifteen year old Goku said “alright, I’m gonna start trying now”, it’s just that they were in a tournament where he had the perfect ring out move so it mattered less.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

It’s also kind of funny that the introduction of the clones is when he became irrelevant. As after a hard fought battle Goku reveals he was just loving with him the whole time

Tien really should have been more upset about that

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s also kind of funny that the introduction of the clones is when he became irrelevant. As after a hard fought battle Goku reveals he was just loving with him the whole time

Tien really should have been more upset about that

At least in the manga Goku wasn't loving with Tien and figured out the clones were horrible after a single attack. Though I'm not sure if this is better or worse, really. Also Tien somehow compliments on Goku figuring out he's getting slower and weaker, so I don't really know what Tien figured out was going to happen in the first place.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SDBH exhibition with the super attacks of the higher rarity cards of the newest set or something? I dunno. Looks cool anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3dwtou4QfE

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mr Popo being lowkey one of the most powerful characters on the show but never bothering to use it except occasionally to fend off rowdy kids suddenly brings to mind he may be basically a Kami's version of Whis.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Having the show end with him smirking as his skin turns palest blue would be a gently caress of a thing to see

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Black August posted:

Having the show end with him smirking as his skin turns palest blue would be a gently caress of a thing to see

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I had completely forgotten blue Popo was a thing.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

*unsolved mysteries theme starts playing*

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Speaking of things changing color I just noticed that toryiama draws Bulma with purple hair, similar to that of trunks, on the original tankoban's spine art. And on volume 36 trunks is on the cover with the same hair color.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Stairmaster posted:

Speaking of things changing color I just noticed that toryiama draws Bulma with purple hair, similar to that of trunks, on the original tankoban's spine art. And on volume 36 trunks is on the cover with the same hair color.

Bulma and Trunks have always had the same hair color, just almost never at the same time

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Yeah, Bulma's supposed to have purple hair, not blue.
Either the anime came out before Toriyama could have a color page, or anime staff decided it was easier to color light blue than light purple.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Siegkrow posted:

Either the anime came out before Toriyama could have a color page, or anime staff decided it was easier to color light blue than light purple.

I kinda feel like we’ve gotten Bulma in colored shots in the first dozen or so chapters, some of the ending frames in DB are even from those I think. I guess it’s one of those weird anime things

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Still amused that probably one of the most original things Dragon Ball Heroes did was settle their dilemma of having no idea what the heck SSJ4 Trunks should look like by making him SSG instead.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
loving lol at blue popo being "reverse racism"

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Siegkrow posted:

She had turquoise hair in the very first chapter, then it was purple in any subsequent illustration so we can't fully blame the anime staff for that. The officially colored manga keeps the purple hair.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Man, seeing Bulma with purple hair really shows how badly Toriyama just phoned in Chronotriggers design for the tech girl whose name I’ve conveniently forgotten

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

Man, seeing Bulma with purple hair really shows how badly Toriyama just phoned in Chronotriggers design for the tech girl whose name I’ve conveniently forgotten

Probably because you can choose her name!

An underrated part of Dragon Ball is how Toriyama draws technology; vehicles, machines and computers all have a really detailed and distinct style, very rugged and military, complete with numbers, text and insignia. The fancier tech, like Capsule Corp stuff and vehicles, has a more distinct rounded retro-future style, almost like Apple. I think it's pretty clear he has a lot of fun designing them, kinda disappointing it doesn't come up more. Imagine a RTS in that style.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Toriyama draws amazing tech.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Hahah, get hosed Yamcha and Tenshinhan, you're not even on here. Chaozu gets a spot, though!

Neither is Mai or any of the cyborgs for that matter.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Lucca and Marle feel like they would turn into Bulma if they fused.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Petiso posted:

Lucca and Marle feel like they would turn into Bulma if they fused.

Lucca is Bulma-as-Scientist, while Marle is Bulma-as-Flirt/Fanservice.

And yeah, I love how Toriyama draws tech, and also how he draws monsters. My biggest complaint with Dragonball has always been that the villains always get more humanoid as they transform, not less. Frieza's 3rd form Xenomorph is his coolest.

Like give me more weird Chrono Trigger lads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ayla was created from Toriyama's subconscious memories of Launch.

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Frieza's 3rd form Xenomorph is his coolest.
It's the worst, that's why it doesn't show up in anything and was treated like dirt when Frost did it.