Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Nonexistence posted:

What's the second pic a reference to?

IGN's reaction at E3 2003 when being told of a Pacman VS for GameCube compared to a new Zelda game

Nowadays it's used for

Something they don't like (Shigaraki's first costume)
[first panel]
Something they do like (Shigaraki's new costume)
[second panel]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Hahaha wow, it's not even just "Oh wow this panel looks similar to this meme", they're literally doing all the same poses. That's so great.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Scholtz posted:

Hahaha wow, it's not even just "Oh wow this panel looks similar to this meme", they're literally doing all the same poses. That's so great.

Still more subtle than when Attack on Titan pulled it.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

chiasaur11 posted:

Still more subtle than when Attack on Titan pulled it.

Lol, that almost... almost endears me to Attack on Titan.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

This is great, but I also wonder what those other two kids are up two these days? You know, other than freaking out over the mass chaos going on right now.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rhonne posted:

This is great, but I also wonder what those other two kids are up two these days? You know, other than freaking out over the mass chaos going on right now.

I think one got killed by Endeavor

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheKingofSprings posted:

I think one got killed by Endeavor

Nah, neither of those are the winged kid who was probably turned into a Nomu.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Lol, that almost... almost endears me to Attack on Titan.

Attack on Titan actually has a ton of those little references, ranging from a panel where Reiner, Bert, and Annie are doing the "Man distracted from his girlfriend" meme to a cameo by Saul Goodman.

Also, every volume of the manga ends with a fake preview that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual events of the manga. (I mean, unless the final volume revolves around Baggy Pants Leon)

It's surprisingly charming series when it wants to be.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Shame about all the fascism.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

Didn't the author respond to this criticism by making the bad guys literally the Nazi's and the good guys literally Jews?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Nephthys posted:

Didn't the author respond to this criticism by making the bad guys literally the Nazi's and the good guys literally Jews?

Yes "respond" as if it were not how the story was going and also like some response on western Twitter changed the design, story and influence of a Japanese manga.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

My Cop Academia feels like its in the early Attack on Titan stages where it's hard to tell whether it is an indictment or fascism or actually fascist so this take is really funny.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Was Attack on Titan ever looking like it promoted fascism? I haven't quite caught up after the basement reveal and flashback, but I seem to recall there being a whole storyline about monarchies and secret police being a bad thing and the heroes rebelling against them.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Was Attack on Titan ever looking like it promoted fascism? I haven't quite caught up after the basement reveal and flashback, but I seem to recall there being a whole storyline about monarchies and secret police being a bad thing and the heroes rebelling against them.

It was about cool military dudes killing the Other with a theme song in German talking about violence, so some people assumed the worst.

And then it turned out the Other were just people like the protagonist, we get an arc about how the totalitarian Military Police is bad while a free press is good, and characters turn to the camera to give speeches about how respecting people from different cultures is good. Then the military goes against its principles by hiding the truth from people, leading to a fascist takeover, and then the protagonists kill the fascists whose leader got beaten in a fight by a middle aged woman before showing how the cycle of hate just leads to innocent deaths.

Also, the protagonists are revealed to be fantasy Jewish.

Then other people ignored the themes and incredibly obvious messages to claim that the manga was fascist anyway, because that gets clicks.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its interesting the amount of people that have actually read Attack on Titan vs the people who have read a few blogs on it in here.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Yeah AoT is preeeetty clearly not pro-facism. Just displaying facism doesn't mean it endorses facism, that's silly!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

but wasn't it something about how the mangaka had some affiliation that was damning?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

but wasn't it something about how the mangaka had some affiliation that was damning?

No? It's "Dot Pixis looks like some old Japanese war criminal" and "Hey he said comparing what Japan did to Korea to the Holocaust is... not comparable" At most he's nationalist, which was blown up to Imperialist, and that's it. No other damning connection as far as I can tell.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Onmi posted:

No? It's "Dot Pixis looks like some old Japanese war criminal" and "Hey he said comparing what Japan did to Korea to the Holocaust is... not comparable" At most he's nationalist, which was blown up to Imperialist, and that's it. No other damning connection as far as I can tell.

that's good, then, the way this had gotten to me was I thought it became known he had some love for that era or was one of those Japanese people who is into WW2 German stuff

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

serious gaylord posted:

Its interesting the amount of people that have actually read Attack on Titan vs the people who have read a few blogs on it in here.

Yeah, I fall firmly into the "haven't read it because it didn't look that interesting to me, but heard some pretty sus stuff" category.
There's more manga in the world than minutes in the day, so I don't think there's anything wrong with saying you haven't read it but you've heard some bad poo poo incidentally. I mean, not sure how I feel about using goons as a trusted resource, but I'll update if people ask me about AoT to stop saying I heard it was weird and fascist.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I have not read AoT, only watched a bit of the first season, and am not really interested in it, but from what I gather a lot of the “AoT is fash” takes took hold because the first season is very dogwhistley in a Starship Troopers sort of way, and because it took literal years for the parts of the manga where this gets turned on its head to be adapted, that sort of became the series‘ identity to the rest of the world.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I read a bit past the basement after hearing about all the hubbub and noped the gently caress out forevermore.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

serious gaylord posted:

i read part of it and got bored

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
AoT is mad good and it's a shame people use twitter takes to form their identity around

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
AoT isn’t fascist for sure, but it did bore the ever loving poo poo out of me post-basement.

This manga that’s about no superman in a post marvel civil war-esque society though? Sick af and deku would mangle Levi

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I think part of the appeal of MHA to me is just the setting.

The series revolves around the idea of mutant powers basically but after decades of X-men and Marvel in general doing the "How would you handle some people actually having superpowers and supertech in a normal world", it's more interesting to me to see "Well, what if everyone had the X Gene expressed and it has been long enough for that to be totally normal?"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this is also another reason why vigilantes is good, because it explores the parts of that setting that aren't either gated behind a seemingly endless high school campus or currently exploding

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I think part of the appeal of MHA to me is just the setting.

The series revolves around the idea of mutant powers basically but after decades of X-men and Marvel in general doing the "How would you handle some people actually having superpowers and supertech in a normal world", it's more interesting to me to see "Well, what if everyone had the X Gene expressed and it has been long enough for that to be totally normal?"

And they have registration which is a death knell in marvel.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

this is also another reason why vigilantes is good, because it explores the parts of that setting that aren't either gated behind a seemingly endless high school campus or currently exploding

There really needs to be a Vigilantes anime one day (hell, if they wanted they could do it during the gap between seasons of the main series).

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Larryb posted:

(hell, if they wanted they could do it during the gap between seasons of the main series).
I've been hoping they'd do this for a while. Instead of filler arcs, spinoff arcs.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

I've been hoping they'd do this for a while. Instead of filler arcs, spinoff arcs.

That’s not a bad idea actually, just animate the side stuff between seasons so that way they won’t have to worry about catching up to the manga while still maintaining a steady stream of new content as opposed to having several month long gaps between shows.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
I personally hope vigilantes ENDS. An ending in the next little while would keep this a nice little self contained storyline, which would be ideal.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If you're on Twitter/Tumblr/whatever I'd start muting tags.

Edit: yeah. Absolutely mute tags if you post or read on a site where this stuff shows up and wait for official release. I'm not touching speed scans this week either.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 1, 2020

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Not sure if there’s been any official word yet but it definitely feels like we’re in or approaching the final arc of Vigilantes at this point at least.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Engage silent running, thread. Steady as she goes.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
Loving these spoilers, really excited to see if it's going where I think it's going

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

I love when people say this, because it really shows you they haven't read it.

You have the author almost getting the characters talk to the reader directly about how fascism is bad, yet still have people come away with thinking it's a story that promotes fascism because they don't understand the difference between showing fascism and endorsing it. I don't think there is anyway that Isayama could be more blatant about how awful he thinks fascism is if he tried.

Asuron fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Oct 1, 2020

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/XfG2Wj6.mp4

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Farg posted:

Loving these spoilers, really excited to see if it's going where I think it's going

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
I do hope this arc doesn't end with Eri undoing all the consequences. It's felt a lot like the invasion of Pain arc in Naruto, which great and imo the last time Naruto was good, right up until the Talk no Jutsu mass revival.

I think Hori is too good a writer to do that but it has happened before.