Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Got a lat/long? Looking at it in Google Earth and then comparing it to known sites is a good start, there's lots of uniformity between these things, because, well, it's the military.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Memento posted:

Got a lat/long? Looking at it in Google Earth and then comparing it to known sites is a good start, there's lots of uniformity between these things, because, well, it's the military.

Found it. It isn't big at all. I was probably vague enough in my description it sounded like a complex but it isn't at all. Of course I guess it could extend further underground. It also isn't super hidden or anything, but driving past it you wouldn't think it was anything much. Again, I was just told it was a paper record depository that was only briefly used around the 50s and abandoned shortly after it was built. It certainly doesn't look military and there are no posted signs or anything. If the story is true it was probably put there by an actual civilian agency getting in on the government nuclear bunker craze of that era and not part of some actual black project or anything crazy like that.

https://earth.google.com/web/search...VjAIa-O_M8REFnA

Here is the sat view:

You can see the top of the small building at the entrance (the red arrow). You can also see another square shape behind and to the left of it that, from the road, looks like the barely exposed roof of an underground something. I've outlined the high, barbed-wire fence that surrounds the area. I didn't realize it extended that far back. You can see what look to be some old rusty cars parked in the back area, so obviously somebody has access which isn't surprising given it was supposedly abandoned in the late 50s/early 60s. It is curious there is almost no vegetation growing on that bare patch.

Here is the street view:

Arrow on the right is the building. The arrow on the left is one of the metal ventilation pipes you can see from the road, there are a handful.

So yeah, it doesn't look like much, but there is zero reason for anything in that area to have anything underground at all and also zero reason to be behind a barbed-wired fence. So maybe the record depository is bullshit, but it is something weird for the area at the very least.

Edit: It certainly isn't anything built to survive any kind of blast. It's far enough out from DFW though that it wouldn't be targeted or in a blast radius. Close enough it could potentially be used for some kind of purpose like what is said about it. At the time in the 50s that would have been the only highway getting there from DFW. Also, this old base is pretty close to where it is at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Wolters

Edit 2: It is interesting that the nearby base was a helicopter training school with plenty of heliports. If you needed to get out of DFW before the bombs hit I would think a helicopter would be the best way to do it and that would be where you would go so facilities like what is rumored being nearby would make sense. How would one go about researching this?

D-Pad fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 29, 2020

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Bring a Geiger counter.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

Carth Dookie posted:

Bring a Geiger counter.

I was thinking something similar. We have a mysterious underground something with pipes coming out of it on base. People are always trying to start rumors that it's a secret bunker but actually it's an old landfill full of industrial waste. I could easily see that being the site of an old landfill full of god knows what.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Leviathan Song posted:

I was thinking something similar. We have a mysterious underground something with pipes coming out of it on base. People are always trying to start rumors that it's a secret bunker but actually it's an old landfill full of industrial waste. I could easily see that being the site of an old landfill full of god knows what.

Landfills often have vent pipes sunk into the ground to help disperse methane and other gases that occur from decomposition.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Or, gas-powered electricity generation using captured landfill emissions

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Disperse?

Collect that noxious greenhouse gas and put it to good use. Even flaring it is better than letting it disperse.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
My go to is wikimapia.org for that sort of thing.

It’s not always on there, but if it is, it’s a good starting point for further research.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Whatever is there is likely underwater based on the flooded quarry next to it and the small deep pond across the street.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Knives Amilli posted:

the 80s Army as a bloated force of Joe fuckery that was eagerly awaiting the day the balloons went up, but had no real day to day mission.

I was in during the 80s and this is a pretty accurate description of the Army during that era.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

MightyJoe36 posted:

I was in during the 80s and this is a pretty accurate description of the Army during that era.

I know a guy stationed in Germany in the late 70s and to hear him talk everyone figured that their job was just to get blown to hell to trigger WWIII, not actually accomplish anything if things kicked off.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Oh, so very similar to the Korean Speedbump that is area 1

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
As a civie my understanding was leadership in DOD was always trying to fight the last war due to time in service and other factors, making it hard to integrate the lessons learned on the ground into the overall doctrine.

So in the 80s would the lessons learned from Vietnam have made it into how the Army approached things or was it still thinking like it was WW2 / Korea?

Did Desert Storm change how GWOT went? Are we close to seeing a majority of the officers across the DOD having served the bulk of their careers in the midst of GWOT?

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Nystral posted:

As a civie my understanding was leadership in DOD was always trying to fight the last war due to time in service and other factors, making it hard to integrate the lessons learned on the ground into the overall doctrine.

So in the 80s would the lessons learned from Vietnam have made it into how the Army approached things or was it still thinking like it was WW2 / Korea?

Did Desert Storm change how GWOT went? Are we close to seeing a majority of the officers across the DOD having served the bulk of their careers in the midst of GWOT?

Not exactly. Someone smarter than me will likely chime in with better info.

The 80's were almost exclusively dedicated to a doctrine of "Beat Russia". Everyone was convinced of a pending conventional war in mainland Europe.

Desert Storm was basically use using Cold War doctrine.

During GWOT, things changed rapidly. I remember being taught one thing in garrison, then it immediately changed within a month of getting into country. In my opinion, we just got better at making changes to the organization. It was almost like we switched to an Agile model for management.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Nystral posted:

Did Desert Storm change how GWOT went?

It made the brass very cognizant of the fact that the war needed to be stage managed and that Americans would definitely NOT accept mass casualties. Hence a move towards outsourcing as much of everything even remotely dangerous as they could and relying more and more on remotely directed weapons.

quote:

Are we close to seeing a majority of the officers across the DOD having served the bulk of their careers in the midst of GWOT?

Hopefully they'll have learned that it's all a bullshit scam and not want to fight these kinds of wars anymore.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Scratch Monkey posted:

Hopefully they'll have learned that it's all a bullshit scam and not want to fight these kinds of wars anymore.

Wasn't the officer corp doing GWOT/Iraq 1 the officer corp serving in Vietnam?

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

Right, which is why they were so eager to have a very manicured "win". I'm hoping the staff coming up now, having served mostly in OIF/OEF, will see things better.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Scratch Monkey posted:

Right, which is why they were so eager to have a very manicured "win". I'm hoping the staff coming up now, having served mostly in OIF/OEF, will see things better.

Based on what I've seen of the ones who stay in vs the ones who got out, the opposite will happen.

Rage spoilers, don't hover over if you are made angry by the same poo poo I am.

My old Marine CO, pre invasion who got moved because he was a moron, and XO who caused a friendly fire incident, for example, goddamned lifers, the guy who fixed their fuckups after that CO was gone and had to deal with the fratricidally stupid XO? Gone. It's ok tho, Duplesis has been promoted repeatedly, despite being a universally despised fuckwit

Had to report my CO from my last deployment to the goddamned Governor (a national guard pump) because he wasn't doing his goddamned job and neither was the 1stsgt, the 1stsgt is still in and a trigger happy cop who has never been to actual war, his opinions are horrible. Oh his job btw, was training up the states first female infantry officer. Possibly the entire guards, I'm not sure. That cpt and 1stsgt were more than happy to repeatedly try to publicly emberras her rather than spend one loving minute doing actual training or instruction.

Obligatory I'm the idiot for not completely severing with the military after my first enlistment.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Notahippie posted:

I know a guy stationed in Germany in the late 70s and to hear him talk everyone figured that their job was just to get blown to hell to trigger WWIII, not actually accomplish anything if things kicked off.

That was the general feeling when I was in Germany in the early and mid 80s. I mean we "trained" for what was going to happen when the Red Army came through the Fulda Gap, but the general consensus was that it was going to go nuclear about 30 minutes in.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
This poo poo reminds me about hearing some eye-opening poo poo I probably wasn't supposed to while I was in Korea. Being bingo on handheld anti-air, hearing a "What missile?" when someone (8th Army?) called a certain ADA unit to see if they were tracking one of the nork missile tests...

My favorite was how they were somehow going to evac the Yongsan hospital unit and patients and material to Humphreys in the middle of the blitz south, while everyone was busy blowing bridges and dropping apartment blocks like dominoes across every single thoroughfare in Seoul.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Being bingo on handheld anti-air, hearing a "What missile?" when someone (8th Army?) called a certain ADA unit to see if they were tracking one of the nork missile tests...

If it was a shorad unit, all they’re going to be able to do with a missile test is nothing and all they’re going to be able to do with a missile attack is sound an alarm and take cover.

MonkeyWash
Jan 14, 2005
Donkey Rinse

MightyJoe36 posted:

That was the general feeling when I was in Germany in the early and mid 80s. I mean we "trained" for what was going to happen when the Red Army came through the Fulda Gap, but the general consensus was that it was going to go nuclear about 30 minutes in.

I was in Germany 89-94. I only caught the end of the Cold War. REFORGER exercises were always a big deal. Practicing mass deployments from the states while USAEUR tried to plug the Fulda Gap. I didn't really get to spend much time in Fulda, I was stationed in Nuremberg at the time. One of the missions we had was border surveillance along the Czech border. We would be on one side and would always be shadowed on the other side by whatever USSR unit was there. When everything opened up it was cool to go see areas from the other side.

After Desert Storm the draw down in Germany was insane. My wife was in a Personnel unit cutting orders for all of the units disbanding. Big Army really had no idea what was going on, people were getting lost or sent to the wrong place. As far as doctrine at the time it was weird. Things were still very much geared towards conventional warfare but without a real enemy. I went to a few schools at the time and it was pretty much geared towards still fighting the Red Army.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

mlmp08 posted:

If it was a shorad unit, all they’re going to be able to do with a missile test is nothing and all they’re going to be able to do with a missile attack is sound an alarm and take cover.

Oh the SHORAD thing was word of mouth, but I was in the TOC when the missile call came in and watched all the Patriot guys collectively poo poo a brick.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Desert Storm was a fluke in that the Iraqis decided to fight exactly like old Russian doctrine dictated which just so happened to be thing we were super well prepared to do.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Scratch Monkey posted:

It made the brass very cognizant of the fact that the war needed to be stage managed and that Americans would definitely NOT accept mass casualties.

Turns out, actually they’re fine with it.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

drgitlin posted:

Turns out, actually they’re fine with it.

True, but in Desert Storm they were dealing with a pre-9/11 public that was at least slightly less drunk for blood. Even with OEF/OIF they still had to pull poo poo like the Pat Tillman coverup because accidentally shooting their golden boy and burning his gear was bad for recruiting. At least for the first few years before the daily count of "X amount killed today" faded into normal background noise.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

Wild T posted:

the daily count of "X amount killed today" faded into normal background noise.

I hate this part so goddamn much. Not the post or poster, just that the forever wars are background noise.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Steezo posted:

I hate this part so goddamn much. Not the post or poster, just that the forever wars are background noise.

I saw someone online describe the current US military as a "peacetime" army and I wanted to scream

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

canyoneer posted:

I saw someone online describe the current US military as a "peacetime" army and I wanted to scream

Did you online yell at them because I couldn't have resisted

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Milo and POTUS posted:

Did you online yell at them because I couldn't have resisted

It was on Facebook in response to this comic, which I have to believe is satire.

An Internet stranger did leave this excellent comment though

Any platoon sergeant born after 1993 can't slay bodies, all they know is Fortnite, charge they phone, twerk, be bisexual, vape cotton candy and lie.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

canyoneer posted:

Any platoon sergeant born after 1993 can't slay bodies, all they know is Fortnite, charge they phone, twerk, be bisexual, vape cotton candy and lie.

This guy is crying for help with family problems in the only way he knows how

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
...should I join the military

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

Mother, should I trust government
Mother, is it just a bag of dicks
Ooo, ahh,
Is it just a waste of time

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003

canyoneer posted:

I would like to help but I'm all screamed out right now. But the lifting routine has been goin well. So I at least have that and a very fluffy cat.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Milo and POTUS posted:

If you want to get repeatedly hosed in the rear end by authority while living in substandard conditions and being bored out of your mind, just go work in fast food.

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Liquid Communism posted:

If you want to get repeatedly hosed in the rear end by authority while living in substandard conditions and being bored out of your mind, just go work in fast food.

But the forever war demands fresh fodder.

Mind you, spend long enough in fastfood and even the military will start looking pretty good.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

You don't get negligently-substandard healthcare for life by working fast food though :(

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Man I love being subject to illiterate divorced emotionally stunted man children you should try it.

For real a the POGest possible job in the Air Force or something like cyber would be a pretty good deal if you don’t have a lot of civilian opportunities.

Just commit to being a POG, don’t ever try to “make your service count” or “get in the fight” or any dumb patriotic bullshit because you’ll find yourself doing some really stupid poo poo for some really stupid people for the exact same pay as the guy handing out towels at the gym or sleeping in the server room.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 1, 2020

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Don't listen to these pussies, you should sign up to be a marine and go infantry! The military is better the second time around, just ask that one guy who did it twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

It’s not just a job.
It’s a really easy job.
Go Navy Reserve!