Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

stealie72 posted:

But what I'm learning is the thread title should be "Backyard Chicken Keeping: There's Poop Everywhere!"

You're welcome. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Whelp, guess I'll be poking at feces to check health...

RoboRodent posted:

You're welcome. :)
Ha, thank you!!!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Alterian posted:

I'd definitely be more into keeping pet birds other than chickens if it wasn't for the poo poo.

My cockatiel is mostly toilet trained.

People think pet birds just poo poo everywhere on everything. Their mess is completely water soluble (meaning it can get completely cleaned up with a damp paper towel) and tends to be centralized their cage.

My cockatiel goes about once every fifteen minutes and has pretty well designated spots she uses. It's not a mess at all.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...
my tertiary pets are the invertebrates that live in my compost heap, a paradise of recycled quail bedding and poo

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Chicken poop was one of the reasons we stopped letting the birds wander freely during the day. That, and wild turkeys stole our guineas.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
The first product of livestock is pooooop.

I need to make a new compost pile so I can age the current pile. I plan to expand my garden(s) next year and I need that poop!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Joburg posted:

The first product of livestock is pooooop.

I need to make a new compost pile so I can age the current pile. I plan to expand my garden(s) next year and I need that poop!

Have you thought of Ruth stout beds? I put the pine shavings and poop against the soil every autumn and cover them with all the leaves raked up. Then the next spring I plant directly into the leaves.

The next year I harvest everything and take it all to the side, put down the years poop and shavings and cover it with the old stuff and then fresh leaves.

Works amazingly well.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

Chicken poop was one of the reasons we stopped letting the birds wander freely during the day. That, and wild turkeys stole our guineas.
lol? was this an interspecies love situation?

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Have you thought of Ruth stout beds? I put the pine shavings and poop against the soil every autumn and cover them with all the leaves raked up. Then the next spring I plant directly into the leaves.

The next year I harvest everything and take it all to the side, put down the years poop and shavings and cover it with the old stuff and then fresh leaves.

Works amazingly well.

Leaves? I’m in Wyoming, there are no leaves here.

All joking aside, I will have to look into that. I do use sand instead of shavings on the floor so I’d have to see how much carbon material I’d have to add. (And seriously, there are no leaves here.) Right now the straw goat bedding gets put into a different pile, maybe I need to use it with the chicken stuff directly on the garden. Thanks for the idea :)

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

fauna posted:

lol? was this an interspecies love situation?

The guineas liked to walk in circles around the house all day, and one day we looked outside and saw some new, very tall guineas walking past the windows. We all had a good laugh about the guineas accepting new friends into their flock, but it turned out to be the other way around. As soon as the turkeys decided to move deeper into the woods for winter, the guineas happily followed. Gotta stick with the flock!

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

The guineas liked to walk in circles around the house all day, and one day we looked outside and saw some new, very tall guineas walking past the windows. We all had a good laugh about the guineas accepting new friends into their flock, but it turned out to be the other way around. As soon as the turkeys decided to move deeper into the woods for winter, the guineas happily followed. Gotta stick with the flock!
ahaha that's amazing :kimchi:

we had one guinea bond with a chicken hen, and another chicken who raised a clutch of keets. they seem to do well with interspecies diplomacy! i hope yours are still out in the wild somewhere, thriving

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

they were dusting up a storm today

fauna fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Oct 2, 2020

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:
My poop machines are about ~14 weeks now. Getting fat and fluffy. The Australorp is developing a lot faster than the Buff Orp and EEs. Pretty sure she'll be first to lay. I put a couple of dummy eggs in the nesting box.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
No matter which chicken breeds we’ve had, somehen starts to lay at week 20 and the rest start later. Out of my 3 Leghorns, one has laid every day since starting on Sunday and the other 2 haven’t started yet.

The Leghorn that lays (needs a name) showed her ready-to-lay signs by first cozying up to William of Orange. Her comb wasn’t very red at all and she was following him around like a teen girl at a Beatle show. And now that she lays the feeling is apparently mutual :3:

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Joburg posted:

The Leghorn that lays (needs a name)

The Leghorn that Lays is an amazing name :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Joburg posted:

The Leghorn that lays (needs a name) showed her ready-to-lay signs by first cozying up to William of Orange. Her comb wasn’t very red at all and she was following him around like a teen girl at a Beatle show. And now that she lays the feeling is apparently mutual :3:

Clearly she needs to be named Yoko :colbert:.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Enfys posted:

The Leghorn that Lays is an amazing name :colbert:

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

william of orange is absolutely majestic and i love him

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Joburg posted:

No matter which chicken breeds we’ve had, somehen starts to lay at week 20 and the rest start later. Out of my 3 Leghorns, one has laid every day since starting on Sunday and the other 2 haven’t started yet.

Yeah you don’t seem to have any........live plants, let alone leaves.

Ayin
Jan 6, 2010

Have a great day.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Clearly she needs to be named Yoko :colbert:.
Yolko

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

:hmmyes:

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

goddammit

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the name ideas, all. The second leghorn laid her first egg today! So out of 20 adult hens we got 6 eggs today :shobon: At least they entertain me.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Yeah you don’t seem to have any........live plants, let alone leaves.

It’s been a bad year for plants. My gardens did kinda ok. We had a late frost and then a very early one so all of my tomatoes had to ripen on the counter. But I did get some tomatoes, unlike last year when the 7 hail storms in 2 weeks wiped out all of my plants... Wyoming is tough, yo.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Some derpy looking teenage girls

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Some derpy looking teenage girls

a vision

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

fauna posted:

a vision

She probably saw what happened to the last batch of chickens in that coop. A final trip to Camp Freezer.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
hen naming ideas down under~

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Awkward teenage girls, assemble!

Say "cheese", Cheddar.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

https://mobile.twitter.com/foxfeather/status/1288506622726344711

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Teenage girls! (Well, ok, 11 week old girls. And a very mature lady with a food boob.) Here we have one of the Amber Stars on the right, Gru the Pearl White Leghorn with the weird neck, and the two Red Stars in the back. Clarence the Clown has been pretty shy so I don’t see him as much as the ladies. The Amber Stars are the most friendly of the young group.

Joburg fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Oct 8, 2020

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Does anyone know if Tylan injectable can be put in their water? I don’t trust myself to give injections.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
My little chicks are growing up super fast (a little behind Joburgs, at 8-9 weeks old), and I've almost got their coop/run finished, but have a quick question about food and water:

I've seen that keeping food and/or water inside the coop is a point of contention, but I'm thinking that I'll hang their food under their coop in the run (there's 3 feet between the coop and the ground), and water stays inside the coop so it's always available to them. Is this wise, or should I be doing something else?

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

stealie72 posted:

My little chicks are growing up super fast (a little behind Joburgs, at 8-9 weeks old), and I've almost got their coop/run finished, but have a quick question about food and water:

I've seen that keeping food and/or water inside the coop is a point of contention, but I'm thinking that I'll hang their food under their coop in the run (there's 3 feet between the coop and the ground), and water stays inside the coop so it's always available to them. Is this wise, or should I be doing something else?

I've had both the water and the feed in the coop for years. This has worked for the longest time, until last year rats burrowed under the coop and came out to feed every night. So I ended up taking the feed in the house (porch) every night until I caught all the rats with The Ratinator (*dramatic reverb*). Now I can leave the feed in the coop again.

So I don't know where you are located, or how big your coop is, but be prepared that other critters will be interested in the feed if you keep it in the coop, and I expect much more if you keep it out in the open. Really I think bringing the feed in the house every night is the safest choice, but of course also the most :effort:.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i thought i'd seen the nadir of quail survival skills, but there is always more. yesterday when i let them out to scoot (heavily supervised), ursula did a celebratory leap a metre into the air, fluttered down in a descending spiral, and landed on the dog. she fell off straight away, he whirled around to eat her, but luckily he's an angel and managed to stop himself just in time

pictured: a very smart

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

fauna posted:

i thought i'd seen the nadir of quail survival skills, but there is always more. yesterday when i let them out to scoot (heavily supervised), ursula did a celebratory leap a metre into the air, fluttered down in a descending spiral, and landed on the dog. she fell off straight away, he whirled around to eat her, but luckily he's an angel and managed to stop himself just in time

admirable effort, quail

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
My grandmother lived in a house that belonged to an Ursula. I liked her, she was a friendly woman, and I used to hang out with her kids. Good memories. She died young though. I think I'm older now than Ursula when she passed.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

admirable effort, quail

They are almost as creative as chickens in their suicidal ideation.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I was worried about rats and mice, so I got a spring feeder ready-made off ebay, it's pretty good. I fill it once a month or so with a whole bag of feed. Wouldn't fit in my coop though. One of these:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

fauna posted:

The Roaming Woods Borb is pleased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

now i think rickie isn't long for this world :( she was never as active as the others, and had a growth over her eye that seems to be getting larger, but this past week she's been sleeping all the time, losing weight, and visibly out of breath after activity. they were cage layers under artificial light so they laid year-round and i got them cheap because they were old, so i think she was already unwell when she arrived. the others are being kind to her and she still seems to enjoy dust-bathing and sunshine, so i'm not going to euth her just in case she pulls through. dying a natural death is kind of an achievement for a quail tbh

tomorrow i will cook some eggs for her

fauna fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 10, 2020