Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

dwarf74 posted:

Generally no, not past the first few levels. The rat swarm can work in a final room, and the lvl1 card is good as a late-initiative move 4, but it's a situational first-room choice because it just won't keep up when you go to the next room. Mindthief is probably the strongest of the starting 6 classes but your primary stuff are (a) The Mind's Weakness augment, all the time, (b) The bottom of perverse edge, and (c) next round, the top of .... crud your attack 3 that stuns when you infuse it with ice.

Don't bother with any Augments other than the Mind's Weakness unless the bottom is good. For example, the bottom of Feedback Loop is great.

There's some burners that are usually worth it - Backup Ammo for the Cragheart and Warding Strength for the Brute are two. And the Tinkerer can and should use their burn cards pretty frequently, because they can afford it. But the Mindthief in particular shouldn't use many burn cards at all until the final room, at which point go to town.

thanks ya i thought they might not be worth the instant burns. for level up perks, I've read perks that get rid of multiple -1's or 0's first then onto what makes sense for what cards you use is that correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mnoba posted:

thanks ya i thought they might not be worth the instant burns. for level up perks, I've read perks that get rid of multiple -1's or 0's first then onto what makes sense for what cards you use is that correct?

Yeah always get rid of negative modifiers first, +0s next, then do whatever you want. Mindthief and Scoundrel should remove the -2 first because it's basically a second miss. For the Brute and maybe Cragheart you want to give them the perk that lets them ignore negative item effects and give them both armor.

Question about the digital version: What's the fastest easiest way to rack up 20 total curses to unlock the ability to add curse as an enhancement? I am NOT HAPPY that you can't just put curse on Dirt Tornado right away :rant:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Mnoba posted:

e: Yeah the very first perk on Brute should be re: negative item effects because hide armor makes a big difference. Otherwise...

Prioritize getting rid of bad cards first. Remove 2x -1 is better than replacing -1 with +1 but do whatever you can. Remove or replace the -2 if your class lets you.

Then add stuff that hard disables and is always welcome - stuns, disarms, and curses. And mods that feed you elements you want.

Hold off on situational stuff like pierce, push, muddle, or immobilize unless it is attached to like, a +2.

Hold off on removing 0's until you have a strong deck, then remove them. When a 0 is disappointing instead of a relief, you know it's time. The timing depends. It could be right after nuking the negatives, or after adding some good cards.

Of the starters, the Mindthief and Scoundrel can get awesome, thin modifier decks. Cragheart, Brute, and Spellweaver get thick and lovely modifier decks. I forget what Tinkerer gets.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Sep 28, 2020

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah always get rid of negative modifiers first, +0s next, then do whatever you want. Mindthief and Scoundrel should remove the -2 first because it's basically a second miss. For the Brute and maybe Cragheart you want to give them the perk that lets them ignore negative item effects and give them both armor.

Question about the digital version: What's the fastest easiest way to rack up 20 total curses to unlock the ability to add curse as an enhancement? I am NOT HAPPY that you can't just put curse on Dirt Tornado right away :rant:
Locked class: Note. There's a level 1 card that shits out curses.

Note is also how I earned Strengthen.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

dwarf74 posted:

Locked class: Note. There's a level 1 card that shits out curses.

Note is also how I earned Strengthen.

That makes sense but I'm only like half way to unlocking it argh! Guess I'll get on it.

I'm wondering if I could use the Mindthief move ability that uses Dark to add a curse to an adjacent enemy right off the bat and then quit/restart the scenario 20 times :v: I'm gonna try that tonight.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

dwarf74 posted:

There is a learning curve!!

Anything you can find with play tips for the board game will also carry over to digital - character guides on Reddit, general strategy videos, etc.

The big things?

(1) You will not survive a bunch of attacks. Enemies miss only rarely, or only when you pack their decks full of curses. Look at what the enemies are doing, and ask yourself if it's worth the risk for what you want to do.

(2) be judicious in using your Burn cards. If you use them early, they will have a significant effect on your turns of play.

(3) crowd control abilities are extremely important. Stun and disarm are basically always worth it.

Yeah this is great advice for anyone new to Gloomhaven specifically through the digital game. Hell, me and my group have played easily north of 100 scenarios and we still got trounced going back to level 1 and not taking a room full of dudes totally seriously while we fiddled with all the shiny new stuff.

Definitely want to reiterate regarding monster attacks: monster attacks genuinely hurt a ton in this game so if you start in a room full of monsters it's going to be key to understand what monsters can do (even knowing their base movement and attack numbers will greatly help) and how to mitigate their attacks over the first few rounds, whether that's playing lockdown cards or piling on one enemy to kill them and reduce attacks. Honestly it's not a bad idea to look up monster attack AI, but in general they are going to go for the closest person and wail on them -- closest here meaning the one they can get to in the least amount of movement.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Enemies to be particularly cautious of, for various reasons (I don't know if all of these are in the digital version yet):

Spitting Drakes - High damage ranged attacks with built-in status effects. Has a huge AOE attack.
Rending Drakes - Brutal damage output. A single Rending Drake can easily murder a full-health character in one round if it pulls the right card.
Flame Demons - Incredibly high shield values. If you don't have a way to deal true damage, it may be difficult to kill these.
Night Demons - Insanely fast, can go invisible, and you're always effectively muddled when attacking them.
Hounds - Insanely fast, have surprisingly high damage output for how early you first encounter them, and have built-in retaliate to munch your melee.
Slimes - They make more slimes. Lots more slimes. Also have a surprisingly nasty status effect-inducing ranged attack.
Forest / Black Imps - ALL THE CURSES. ALL OF THEM.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I just wish slimes didn't have such long ranged attacks, it's pretty incongruous with how slimes are typically portrayed and it makes them way more brutal to deal with. Putting some long ranged abilities in their deck would be sensible, it's just weird that they are always ranged attacking

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zurai posted:

Enemies to be particularly cautious of, for various reasons (I don't know if all of these are in the digital version yet):

Spitting Drakes - High damage ranged attacks with built-in status effects. Has a huge AOE attack.
Rending Drakes - Brutal damage output. A single Rending Drake can easily murder a full-health character in one round if it pulls the right card.
Flame Demons - Incredibly high shield values. If you don't have a way to deal true damage, it may be difficult to kill these.
Night Demons - Insanely fast, can go invisible, and you're always effectively muddled when attacking them.
Hounds - Insanely fast, have surprisingly high damage output for how early you first encounter them, and have built-in retaliate to munch your melee.
Slimes - They make more slimes. Lots more slimes. Also have a surprisingly nasty status effect-inducing ranged attack.
Forest / Black Imps - ALL THE CURSES. ALL OF THEM.
Slimes and maybe black imps are not in yet. Everything else is in.

Forest Imps btw have had their threat level increased from 0.5 to about 0.8. So you'll see fewer forest imps when they appear in dungeons. (Their stats are unchanged - they were just undervalued for scenario difficulty.)

The devs can see which scenarios are won or lost, and found that forest imps are way stronger than a 0.5 monster based on how often scenarios with them are lost. This jibes with my perceptions, too.

Digital also added a new monster which I'd put on your list - bone rangers. gently caress bone rangers. Long range, multitarget, sometimes multi-attack AND multitarget, shield, multitarget heals, and exploding arrows (think Massive Boulder). They are rough.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
That’s good to know about the scenarios. I have a mission where every round, 3 enemies spawn, including the occasional Elite Inox Archer or Shaman. As it stands, it’s impossible, so hopefully it gets updated.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Helical Nightmares posted:

Triangle tactics chat. So I've unlocked the Elementalist, but I'm not sure I'm too keen on him at level 1. Yes he requires forethought to use, but he gets all the elements he needs when in a party with the Spellweaver. I do like Infernal Vortex (4 attack at ranged 2 exactly) and he has some elemental pumpable abilities and some 3 hex aoe's but I'm not finding him to be an overwhelmingly good mercenary. Does he get better with additional levels? At the moment I can see replacing him with my Scoundrel.

He's actually not that great to pair with Spellweaver, because he'll eat elements she needs, unless they both coordinate very well - which is more trouble than it's worth, honestly.

He does become more self sufficient and much better with a few levels and perks under his belt. He's one of the few chars for which I'd take the otherwise gimmicky roll-on elements *before* fixing the -1s, letting him drown his negative attack cards in a sea of "+0 and a random element". Those allow him to at the very least consistently do ranged atk 2/3/4s with his various "use any element" cards. He's also got a particularly nasty Dark AoE spell at level 7.
On top of that, he does a lot better as a workable character after the party has unlocked a few tappable element creating items, items to refresh potions etc... which the rest of the party can equip too whenever they have slots that aren't too useful (for example, Music Note doesn't really need weapons or a hat). In the tabletop campaign it's less painful than in Guildmaster mode, since you typically unlock and start him with a few levels already, he's pretty awful as a starter toon.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Haven't tried this yet, but if you Wound a Poisoned monster do they take one damage or two when Wound procs?

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Helical Nightmares posted:

Haven't tried this yet, but if you Wound a Poisoned monster do they take one damage or two when Wound procs?
Just one.

Think of poison as a +1 to attack a monster (which also nerfs heals). Poison only applies to attacks, and it's part of the damage calculation before your modifier draw.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Nothing can increase or lower true damage except for cards that give immunity to all damage. Except for the single card that breaks that rule lol

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
A lot of the Brute's perks are kinda worthless but I don't mind him having a massive modifier deck. They are mostly +1s and he's very resilient against enemy curses as a result.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

KPC_Mammon posted:

A lot of the Brute's perks are kinda worthless but I don't mind him having a massive modifier deck. They are mostly +1s and he's very resilient against enemy curses as a result.

This is also a good thing about triangles that everyone seems to hate on it for. It doesn't give a gently caress about your curses or disadvantage, and that's actually pretty nice sometimes.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
A discussion in the LP thread made me realize a difference between the Digital and Physical versions of GH - EnemyAoE/Multi-attack resolution. According to the FAQs, players are able to decide the order in which an enemy AoE/Multi Attack is resolved; in digital, it uses the normal Focus rules to determine the order of resolution instead.

So if you have an elite Living Bones that targets 3 heroes, you won't be able to make it attack your Brute with Shield/Retaliate up first if he isn't the Focus already.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

That Italian Guy posted:

A discussion in the LP thread made me realize a difference between the Digital and Physical versions of GH - EnemyAoE/Multi-attack resolution. According to the FAQs, players are able to decide the order in which an enemy AoE/Multi Attack is resolved; in digital, it uses the normal Focus rules to determine the order of resolution instead.

So if you have an elite Living Bones that targets 3 heroes, you won't be able to make it attack your Brute with Shield/Retaliate up first if he isn't the Focus already.
Yeah GH Digital resolves ambiguity in its own way without consulting the players. It's necessary, though it can be annoying at times. Enemies will randomly (or maybe by internal logic) pick ending hexes for movement, placement of traps/summons, etc.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That Italian Guy posted:

Interesting, we always went in focus order ourselves for our home games (and now TTS) so this wasn't really a difference for us.

I could see ambiguous movement being rough, that is one thing we definitely would take advantage of in tight spots.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Yeah I was also going by normal Focus rules for consistency, but it looks like this was FAQ'd to allow players more control.

I'm glad they went this way for digital, by the way, since it speeds up the game a lot - I'm already itching for a key combination to skip the additonal "do you want to Strengthen self" or "do you want to self heal" (something like "press alt when clicking to resolve the main ability to ALSO resolve secondary self effects"). That, or a fast mode/skip animation button, especially when you have to sit for 20s while all the guards buff themselves or something.

Brb, looking for the feedback section in the game.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Did people here end up liking Jaws of the Lion? I see it has good reviews, I'm just curious to know if people think too much got dumbed down or simplified in the translation to make it more accessible.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Sinteres posted:

Did people here end up liking Jaws of the Lion? I see it has good reviews, I'm just curious to know if people think too much got dumbed down or simplified in the translation to make it more accessible.
It's still the full-on tactical experience and many of the scenarios are very hard.

There's nothing really dumbed-down about it. There's some stuff that's simplified - no negative item effects, no rolling modifiers, no enhancements or retirement - but it's still got the same core gameplay loop.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Awesome, that's great to hear. I own Gloomhaven, and ended up playing way more on TTS than in person because setup was such a pain, but I still want to experience this game with friends in person. Can't wait to play it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

That Italian Guy posted:

Yeah I was also going by normal Focus rules for consistency, but it looks like this was FAQ'd to allow players more control.

I'm glad they went this way for digital, by the way, since it speeds up the game a lot - I'm already itching for a key combination to skip the additonal "do you want to Strengthen self" or "do you want to self heal" (something like "press alt when clicking to resolve the main ability to ALSO resolve secondary self effects"). That, or a fast mode/skip animation button, especially when you have to sit for 20s while all the guards buff themselves or something.

Brb, looking for the feedback section in the game.

Absolutely. Physical Gloomhaven makes a lot of things "players choice" instead of like "randomly" or "according to some scripted rules" because that's actually the simplest way to do it when one of the players is going to be picking up the enemy standee and putting it down in its new position, or flipping attack cards and reducing a particular player's hp, or whatever - in the vast majority of cases where the choice doesn't really matter, the player can just do whatever is most natural instead of having to scrutinize the rules and take extra steps to figure out which of the equivalent options the monster "should" be doing.

In digital, of course, it's the other way around - the machine is already handling all the movements and attacks and such, so when it comes to a (mostly-inconsequential) decision like this, the lowest-friction way of doing it is to have the machine make the decision instead of bugging the player.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

They ever so slightly changed how the monster AI works to make it simpler, but we're all math nerds so we just house-ruled in the old rules. We're already used to using the word "Euclidean" to describe the Focus rules, why would we stop now?

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Speaking of Jaws of the Lion, I recently saw it at my local Target. So bargain hunters may want to look there. I know I get $5 coupons of anything in Target by using their internal CVS for my pharmacy.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

They ever so slightly changed how the monster AI works to make it simpler, but we're all math nerds so we just house-ruled in the old rules. We're already used to using the word "Euclidean" to describe the Focus rules, why would we stop now?

Speaking of this, 90% of the game code seems to play plain yaml, and most terminology is using natural language so that even someone without coding experience should be able to "mod" the game by editing the files.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Is there a way to dismiss/discard a continuous effect card in the digital version (eg discarding a non-dead pet, putting The Mind's Weakness in the grave before a rest etc) ?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Kobal2 posted:

Is there a way to dismiss/discard a continuous effect card in the digital version (eg discarding a non-dead pet, putting The Mind's Weakness in the grave before a rest etc) ?

Yes, it'll be at the top of your list of displayed cards with a brighter color than the ones in your hand. Click on it and it'll give you the option to send it to its relevant pile.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Zurai posted:

Yes, it'll be at the top of your list of displayed cards with a brighter color than the ones in your hand. Click on it and it'll give you the option to send it to its relevant pile.

Ah, good ! Thanks, mate.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

I was worried Jaws was going to be a snooze fest but it's really fun. I think I petered out on big gloomhaven trying to run 3 characters solo and dying under the upkeep. It worked when I was familiar with two of the three classes played, but unlocking new guys was just urrrgh trying to learn them and manage the upkeep.

The scenario book artwork is amazing after "this big empty room is uhhh a forest, no, a dungeon, wait it's a bandit lair". I get why it wasn't possible for GH but it's so good.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
You can cheese stuff in Gloomhaven digital. I wanted Curse on Dirt Tornado ASAP so what I did was build a team where I'd:

Go into a dungeon

Have the Scoundrel go as fast as possible, throw Hidden Daggers, and if anything died, go stand on the gold, then use a mana potion to infuse Dark

Have the Mindthief go next, use the top of Empathetic Assault, then use the Dark on the bottom of Wretched Creature to walk up next to an enemy and Curse it, then Cloak of Invisibility

Brute and Cragheart do whatever go gain some XP

At the beginning of round 2 I'd abandon the dungeon

You get to keep the gold and XP and you get credit for the Curse so I just did that until I got to 20 total Curses. In the process I gained gold and XP and encounter rewards such that once I was able to add Curse as an enhancement I had the gold to put it on Dirt Tornado right away. You can do this with any and all of the trainer goals/rewards but I only did it for the Curse because that's just a thing I needed. I won't be cheesing any of the other trainer goals/rewards but I wanted everyone to know that you can start doing that kind of thing at the start of a brand new game if you want.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

There’s all sorts of cheesy stuff. I ended up repeating a random encounter that gave me 5XP a few times.

You can also sell your enhancements at cost. So once you’ve accomplished what you want with a mercenary, just sell them off to recoup the gold. It incentivizes putting powerful enhancements on higher level cards.

The difficulty curve still needs some balancing. Easy mode is agonizingly easy. Normal is still pretty easy, especially in short dungeons that allow you to burn loss cards without much repercussion. And Hard mode is loving impossible. I can’t believe they have the audacity to put anything higher than that. I just tried a dungeon with a level 8 Mindthief, level 7 Brute, level 7 Scoundrel. All with maxed out perks, great items, and enhancements. The first room had 18 enemies, including Elite Inox Archers, Guards, and Shamans. I liberally used every Immobilize and Stun I had, used every trap in the room, employed shield, retaliate, and item spoiler for prosperity 3+ Sun and Moon Earrings for the Brute. Multiple times, my Brute couldn’t move because he was completely surrounded my monsters. I cleared the room...and then there was a second with another 10 enemies.

Right now the game’s idea of balance is to add more and more enemies, rather than make them more powerful. I guess that’s my punishment for picking an attack-heavy party instead of crowd control.

Once the Mindthief hits level 9, I’m going to try out Music Note and Triangles. I haven’t unlocked them in my tabletop game. Do those classes work well together, or are they both too support-heavy? Could I use them as a 3-person squad with the Cragheart?

Aggro fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Oct 2, 2020

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The best way to get all those sweet enhancements unlocked is to first unlock Note.

Everything else will follow quickly.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

Aggro posted:

Once the Mindthief hits level 9, I’m going to try out Music Note and Triangles. I haven’t unlocked them in my tabletop game. Do those classes work well together, or are they both too support-heavy? Could I use them as a 3-person squad with the Cragheart?

Triangles can absolutely do damage, but it needs some elemental support. Music note works with any party.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

How many characters are in the digital game now?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Eight. The six starters, Triangles, and Music Note. And I think pretty much all of the monsters are in the game except for Oozes? I’ve seen all the demons, Vermlings, Inox, Bandits, Skeletons, Drakes, Vipers, Hounds, Bears.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Aggro posted:

Music note combos well with literally everything, but poorly with Triangles' main gimmick. Music note is the pure support class until higher levels when it starts to poo poo out damage on top of being the support class. She has by far the best perk deck in the game. Triangles starts off more like a breech loading rifle. Does solid damage, but needs time to setup and things to go right for that to happen and is easily disrupted compared to other classes. Later on his gimmick kicks into high gear and will be constantly making GBS threads out elements and using a ton of them to do cool things. Triangles is closer to a Cragheart that traded being able to go faster for having the most convoluted requirements to actually doing any cool poo poo.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

Triangles: Can I get around that with liberal use of mana potions and enhancements?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Having played Triangles pretty extensively in Digital, its problems aren't really that big a deal except at level 1 and to a lesser extent 2. By the time you hit level 3, you have enough of what you need to maintain momentum. In tabletop that's not really a problem because you're unlikely to unlock it before hitting prosperity 2 anyway, but in digital you do have to start at level 1 with every character so it's a bit grindy in that regard.