Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Aggro posted:

Triangles: Can I get around that with liberal use of mana potions and enhancements?
Having played Triangles in both tabletop and digital, not really.

The class has a very high damage potential, but even at higher levels it takes a bit of setup and can be very easily undone by unexpected changes in elements.

It's a class that is extremely powerful if played right, but I always found it too fiddly to be fun, especially when there are other classes with high damage output that don't require that level of preparation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
Digital solves all of triangles problems with shared looting.

On your cards that move 2 and add an element add an additional element. Shaping the Ether and Malleable Evocation will be your most used attacks. This is what we ended up doing in the tabletop version but now you can do it immediately.

Edit: I'll open up the scenario with a crystallizing blast and fire enhanced Lava Eruption move. Round two is a Malleable Evocation against melee enemies and earth enhanced Infernal Vortex move while kiting to prevent incoming attacks. Round three is a double target stun.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 2, 2020

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Triangles also:

I mean, enhancements and potions/items do help a great deal, they can just be extremely expensive. Well, not potions, but those are single-use and require buy-in from the rest of your party. Enhancements are fantastic but a single specific element costs 100gp and an "any element" enhancement costs 150gp. Those definitely do help a ton tho and are worth saving up for, and once again without spoiling too much keep an eye out for any other items that generate or manipulate elements.

Also, while Triangles can put out some high damage, it's bigger strength has always been multi-attacks, lockdowns, pierce, and other status stuff. One of it's best card even into high levels is the one that lets you stun 2 targets; that's also a fairly cheap enhancement (since the multi-target doesn't factor into the cost but does factor into the benefit) and becomes easier and easier to trigger consistently. I don't think comparing it directly to high damage classes really does it justice

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

KPC_Mammon posted:

Digital solves all of triangles problems with shared looting.

On your cards that move 2 and add an element add an additional element. Shaping the Ether and Malleable Evocation will be your most used attacks. This is what we ended up doing in the tabletop version but now you can do it immediately.

Except you have to actually unlock the elemental infusion Enhancement first :/ You can have Triangles unlocked as soon as you finish the tutorial and play the SW to level2 to get Flashing Burst (or I guess you could use the Heal4 loss bottom at level 1, since that also generates Light).

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

Except you have to actually unlock the elemental infusion Enhancement first :/ You can have Triangles unlocked as soon as you finish the tutorial and play the SW to level2 to get Flashing Burst (or I guess you could use the Heal4 loss bottom at level 1, since that also generates Light).

I played a Spellweaver first so most of them were already unlocked for me. You can get by with just earth and fire unlocked early on. Getting a third card enhanced does give you an awesome 4th turn but isn't as required.

edit: Triforce was my most hated class until I got those enhancements (I played a lot of it tabletop and it was miserable until it was overpowered), now it is one of my favorites. It feels like it actually does useful things without being level 7 degrees of broken.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 2, 2020

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Also, some of the Triforce perks aren't actually good once you have the proper enhancements and should be avoided.

This is the case with a lot of classes though. I wish perks would get a second look.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
At least in the digital version, you can ignore perks. Looking at you, push/pull.

For tabletop, had house-ruled that no one ever has to take a “mandatory” perk anyway.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
The weird perks and rolling advantage poo poo are why we do two stack. It makes them at worst neutral, at least.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

The weird perks and rolling advantage poo poo are why we do two stack. It makes them at worst neutral, at least.

This outlook always amuses me, like rolling modifiers with advantage is somehow worse than without.

Advantage will never give you a worse result than if you didn't have advantage.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, and if you're forced to take tons of rolling modifiers, Advantage will generally not give you any benefit, either. Making Advantage do nothing is not a good design decision.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zurai posted:

Yeah, and if you're forced to take tons of rolling modifiers, Advantage will generally not give you any benefit, either. Making Advantage do nothing is not a good design decision.

Sometimes; on average Advantage makes your draws strictly better, even in roll-heavy modifier decks. The difference is pretty small either way

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rosalie_A posted:

This outlook always amuses me, like rolling modifiers with advantage is somehow worse than without.

Advantage will never give you a worse result than if you didn't have advantage.
Advantage will not make rollers worse, but rollers make advantage worse. This is why people avoid rollers.

This isn't controversial. :shrug:

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I think it's fine, there are plenty of interesting helmets and some rolling modifier decks are busted anyways. it's not like triangles gets much from advantage anyways

e: nvm, forgot that triangles doesn't have any

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Control Volume posted:

I think it's fine, there are plenty of interesting helmets and some rolling modifier decks are busted anyways. it's not like triangles gets much from advantage anyways

e: nvm, forgot that triangles doesn't have any

Adding zeroes to your deck when you have reliable elements is bad. It's also not a bad deck for advantage if you don't take those perks, nearly equal odds of +2, +1, and 0.

Considering how many multi hits they have advantage is often worth it.

The more rolling modifiers you have, the weaker advantage becomes. Advantage isn't free. It's instead of something else, either a different item or enhancement. Once Mindthief gets enough rolling modifiers, for example, I'll often prefer bless instead.

I've drawn rolling +1s into misses or -1s enough to not be interested in combining them. Very few mechanics feel as bad in play as advantage and rolling modifiers screwing you over, regardless of how rare.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's fine for advantage to be weaker for some classes, it means they also get less benefit from bless, but are penalized much less for curse or muddle.

That said the perk decks for certain classes should absolutely be looked at because there's no excuse for what's going on with Music Note or Diviner vs a bunch of the weaker ones.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Diviner's perk deck being stronger is appropriate as a way to emphasize their unique mechanics. I don't know why Music Note gets such a good deck though.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Music Note gets such a good deck because you're not taking any attack cards on level ups, but the attacks they do make still need to keep up as you level instead of falling behind.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

KPC_Mammon posted:

The more rolling modifiers you have, the weaker advantage becomes. Advantage isn't free. It's instead of something else, either a different item or enhancement.
Though it is fairly common for one class and basically ubiquitous for another.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Am I having a very specific aneurysm or did I make up that there's a Frosthaven upgrade so it's a scenario book like Jaws of the Lion?

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Am I having a very specific aneurysm or did I make up that there's a Frosthaven upgrade so it's a scenario book like Jaws of the Lion?

They're mentioned as being in development (but no time frame) in update 46.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Scenario 15 in jaws is pretty rough. Almost exhausted with no enemies left.

Red guard's event scenario was pretty lol with his buddy hatchet, ended turn 2 thanks to extreme luck. Would've lost turn 3 without that.

I feel like I'm playing red guard wrong, can't seem to get a roll or combos going with him.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Jabor posted:

Music Note gets such a good deck because you're not taking any attack cards on level ups, but the attacks they do make still need to keep up as you level instead of falling behind.

Yeah, this. You have to do a LOT of work and go completely against the grain of the class to make a lot of attacks as a Music Note, so its attack modifier deck is pretty good to make the few attacks you do get valuable instead of a waste of time. That said, they clearly didn't think of the "buy all the summoning items" build. OTOH, it's nice to have a character that actually wants those items for more than a quick disposable meat shield.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Aggro posted:

Eight. The six starters, Triangles, and Music Note. And I think pretty much all of the monsters are in the game except for Oozes? I’ve seen all the demons, Vermlings, Inox, Bandits, Skeletons, Drakes, Vipers, Hounds, Bears.

Nah, still plenty of enemies missing. Golem, cannon, lurker, deep terror, imps (I think ? not sure on that one), harrowers and the savvas.

I wonder what they'll do about envelope X's reward.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Knobb Manwich posted:

I feel like I'm playing red guard wrong, can't seem to get a roll or combos going with him.

Urrrgh how did I get to the penultimate jaws scenario before realising shield spikes is persistent? I thought it was a one round only gimmick.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kobal2 posted:

Nah, still plenty of enemies missing. Golem, cannon, lurker, deep terror, imps (I think ? not sure on that one), harrowers and the savvas.

I wonder what they'll do about envelope X's reward.
Golems, forest imps, and savvas are all in.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
I was playing Triangles in digital and I've realized it's one of the only few classes where just removing -1s from the deck could not be the best way to go. But then I've also realized that you have to plan way ahead in the deckbuilding department for both the cards and the modifiers, cause there seems to be a combo Fire/Air and Ice/Earth whenever you can combine multiple elements to power up a single card.

Is this idea correct? And if so, is it better to go the Fire/Air route or the Ice/Earth one? You probably don't want to take all the "add 3 +0 Element" perks, but just the ones that works together with the cards you're going to chose on a level up. Annoyingly, the "replace 2 +0 and add 2 +0 elem/elem" cards are mixing these combo up too.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

I was playing Triangles in digital and I've realized it's one of the only few classes where just removing -1s from the deck could not be the best way to go. But then I've also realized that you have to plan way ahead in the deckbuilding department for both the cards and the modifiers, cause there seems to be a combo Fire/Air and Ice/Earth whenever you can combine multiple elements to power up a single card.

Is this idea correct? And if so, is it better to go the Fire/Air route or the Ice/Earth one? You probably don't want to take all the "add 3 +0 Element" perks, but just the ones that works together with the cards you're going to chose on a level up. Annoyingly, the "replace 2 +0 and add 2 +0 elem/elem" cards are mixing these combo up too.

The "replace 2 +0s, add 2 elemental" perks are unambiguously good because the alternative is a +0 with no elements. The early goal with elementalist perks should be to get as many non-elemental cards out of the deck as possible, so adding 3 elements, removing the -1s and replacing the +0s with elements are all competing early priorities

e: doing the math, the order should be the two sets of three elements, followed by element replacements, followed by removing -1s if your goal is maximizing element generation

Control Volume fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Oct 4, 2020

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

That Italian Guy posted:

Triangles: generally, you should always be happy to generate an extra element. Many of your good cards can use any element, e.g. the top of Vengeance (lvl 7) requires Shadow + any other element, all of Simulacrum's effects are Any Element consumption, etc. At lower level you should probably be running the bottom of Formless Power, letting you turn any spare element into a minor power potion.

Regarding perks, removing the -1s is high impact. Those -1s really mess with your damage potential, and your attack abilities start off low enough as it is. You can't really rely on specific element generation from attack modifiers, they're often just going to be a bonus

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Oct 4, 2020

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

That Italian Guy posted:

I was playing Triangles in digital and

Triangles:

You are definitely correct that you want to plan well ahead for level ups even if only to understand how new cards will fit into your “flow”...something that looks good might not be good for your particular deck just because it doesn’t really set up or pay off from what you already have.

It might be good to stick to a fire/wind or ice/earth path for perks during the early levels but past that there’s not really a set path for mid to higher level cards (if anything higher levels are more about utilizing the dark/light elements you don’t have early use for)

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
In Gloomhaven digital you can respec any character between scenarios with no penalty so you should definitely experiment.

I ended up respeccing my Mindthief because Mass Hysteria was not nearly as good as I remember so I replaced it.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

NRVNQSR posted:

I assume digital keeps the "you can't completely cut off part of the battlefield with obstacles" rule, so that would have been the closest you could do anyway.

I did not know this was a rule for Gloomhaven. Thanks!

Kobal2 posted:

Triangles chat

Yeah, Triangles was sort of lackluster at level one so I've put my nose to the grindstone (he managed 5 experience per mission) and got him to level 3.

Here is my level 9 Brute's equipment loadout.Steel Ring (prevent 4 damage), Chainmail (prevent 3 damage in one damage increments) and Major and Minor Healing Potions make him a pretty solid tank. How do you guys equip your Brutes?

How do you guys go about modifying your Brute's actions? I've enchanted Leaping Cleave and Sweeping Blow.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Thank you for the courtesy, but nothing about Brute is a spoiler. Items that exist in digital are getting into a weird grey zone.

For Brute, I added Jump to Fatal Advance (bot), +1 to the top of Spare Dagger, and an extra hex and +1 to Skewer.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Strengthen on Eye for an Eye, +1 move for Leaping Cleave, and poison on Provoking Roar. But I think Balanced Measure is one of the Brute's best cards so I value bonus move very highly.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

KPC_Mammon posted:

Strengthen on Eye for an Eye, +1 move for Leaping Cleave, and poison on Provoking Roar. But I think Balanced Measure is one of the Brute's best cards so I value bonus move very highly.
I have the Boots of Dashing and two Earrings so I haven't been worried about extra +1's as much as extra Jumps.

I also built Brute as tanky, so ended up cutting Balanced Measure eventually.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Jump on Fatal Advance, Wound on Spare Dagger, +1 move on Leaping Cleave are the ones I have now and they're great.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

I decked my Brute out with:

Head: Amulet of Life -- Used to get rid of poison/wound.
Body: Splintmail -- the obvious upgrade to chainmeal
Hands: Both the Heater Shield and the Tower Shield
Feet: Boots of Dashing
Items: Healing potions and Moon and Sun Earrings

It's pretty just rolling into rooms full of mobs and taking next to no damage.

Enhancements were +1 to Leaving Cleave move, +1 attack to Skewer, and Jump onto Fatal Advance.

Just started a new party with Cragheart, Tinkerer, Spellweaver. Obviously plays very different but still a ton of fun. Being able to sell your enhancements back is hilariously broken but hey, now I have CurseNado for my Cragheart.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I just reset my brute and my character screen has a purple exclamation point on the gear button... cant figure out what it's yelling at me about though. Anyone know what that's about?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I just reset my brute and my character screen has a purple exclamation point on the gear button... cant figure out what it's yelling at me about though. Anyone know what that's about?

Just pass your mouse over whatever body armor your character is wearing, I think. IIRC it’s trying to show you that there are negative modifiers associated with it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I did the final Jaws scenario 17, I'm wondering if I did it right.

I'm not sure if you should reveal the right hand side from the start, or only after you use the A/B teleport. I played it like a door and going A->B revealed the enemies there. It just felt weird that they might clown car into the left area, you kill them, then it's just A->B and casually walk up the stairs to the boss.

The hatchet's event scenario is great btw. :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Wow. Voidwarden is fuckin amazing.

First time with level 1 cards in JotL, and Master Influence is just crazy good. That and Gift of the Void were the superstars tonight in Scenario 4.

I wish I was farther in JotL but the fam thinks it's too complicated, so I'm playing with other friends.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 10, 2020